• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
EV Range: 25 Miles /s
WnYO.gif

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
You are aware of the preorder volume for Cybertruck, correct? I think calling it a "miss" is very disingenuous.
I mean, the volume is good and might make the truck successful in its own niche (actually very similar to the Hummer revival in the 2000s, and it's actually got even more impressive numbers than Hummer ever had), but as Doug says, pre-orders for the Cybertruck aren't the same as for the Model 3 and should be interpreted with caution. Even if they get all of those pre-orders as final sales, the F-150 alone sells about 6x that a year, and it's unclear if those people are the ones buying Cybertrucks. I realize that's a semi-unfair comparison given the F-150 is the top dog, but it's hard to imagine who they intended the Cybertruck consumer to be.

Tesla has been incredibly smart in how they've managed their EV strategy, except the Cybertruck.

- Flagship sports car to introduce the brand be persuasive that EVs can hang with gasoline-powered cars
- Luxury sedan to cement the brand's identity, start high-volume production
- Luxury SUV to bankroll production of economy vehicles
- Mid-size mass market sedan, one of the most important cars of the last century in terms of shifting the industry towards EVs
- Crossover version of the mid-size mass market sedan, targeting the fastest growing market in automobiles
- New Roadster as the brand's new halo car; often needed to keep brand momentum/excitement high
- Semi-truck that can be charged in the time that truck drivers are federally mandated to take a break anyways on the longest routes, overcoming one of the biggest hurdles for breaking EVs into semi-trucks; a market that will likely explode in the coming years even if it isn't big currently
- ?????? One of the biggest consumer vehicles on the market with an uncompetitive value proposition and a segment where the energy demands required favour internal combustion because batteries aren't quite there yet ??????
- Compact vehicle for economy and international markets, making it so that Tesla offers a vehicle in nearly every price range

Maybe if you consider the Cybertruck another halo car of sorts it makes sense, but even then still, it's bizarre why they put energy into this when they can risk getting their lunch ate by Rivian.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the volume is good and might make the truck successful in its own niche (actually very similar to the Hummer revival in the 2000s, and it's actually got even more impressive numbers than Hummer ever had), but as Doug says, pre-orders for the Cybertruck aren't the same as for the Model 3 and should be interpreted with caution. Even if they get all of those pre-orders as final sales, the F-150 alone sells about 6x that a year, and it's unclear if those people are the ones buying Cybertrucks. I realize that's a semi-unfair comparison given the F-150 is the top dog, but it's hard to imagine who they intended the Cybertruck consumer to be.

Tesla has been incredibly smart in how they've managed their EV strategy, except the Cybertruck.

- Flagship sports car to introduce the brand be persuasive that EVs can hang with gasoline-powered cars
- Luxury sedan to cement the brand's identity, start high-volume production
- Luxury SUV to bankroll production of economy vehicles
- Mid-size mass market sedan, one of the most important cars of the last century in terms of shifting the industry towards EVs
- Crossover version of the mid-size mass market sedan, targeting the fastest growing market in automobiles
- New Roadster as the brand's new halo car; often needed to keep brand momentum/excitement high
- Semi-truck that can be charged in the time that truck drivers are federally mandated to take a break anyways on the longest routes, overcoming one of the biggest hurdles for breaking EVs into semi-trucks; a market that will likely explode in the coming years even if it isn't big currently
- ?????? One of the biggest consumer vehicles on the market with an uncompetitive value proposition and a segment where the energy demands required favour internal combustion because batteries aren't quite there yet ??????
- Compact vehicle for economy and international markets, making it so that Tesla offers a vehicle in nearly every price range

Maybe if you consider the Cybertruck another halo car of sorts it makes sense, but even then still, it's bizarre why they put energy into this when they can risk getting their lunch ate by Rivian.
The biggest argument in your silly video is that comparable ICE trucks are cheaper.

...so?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
The Hummer was the peak American mid 2000's suburban opulence. Everyone wanted a "castle" with a monstrosity in their driveway. Be it a Hummer, a Suburban, a Navigator, or the most disgusting of all, the Excursion...

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017

So you really think the Rivian is going to be more successful than the Cybertruck?

Is that belief solely on the physical looks of the two vehicles? Because in tech, performance, and price the Cybertruck destroys the Rivian. To say nothing of the charging network or the OAT updates. I admit I like the design of the Rivian but I don't think it's going to sell anywhere near as much as the Cybertruck will.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Doug does a good job summing it up; he's got another video agreeing/disagreeing to rebuttals to his arguments as well.

It's basically a super awesome sounding vehicle... unless you're the kind of people that buy trucks. But if it's not targeted towards or a good value proposition to them, it's for a very niche market, which Tesla hasn't done since the Roadster and kind of the opposite of what their goals are as a brand. It's a massive missed opportunity, especially given that Musk previously said that it'd be around F150 size, and we got this ludicrously big truck instead.

The Cybertruck is definitely trying to create a new market, but I don't really agree with some of Doug's points. He brushes off standard Tesla features like it's nothing. Comparing a base model Silverado to the Cybertruck? What? Towing capacity isn't the be all end all VP Tesla is going for. Even brushing aside total cost of ownership in his updated video by comparing apples to oranges.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Hummer was the peak American mid 2000's suburban opulence. Everyone wanted a "castle" with a monstrosity in their driveway. Be it a Hummer, a Suburban, a Navigator, or the most disgusting of all, the Excursion...
That craving for big SUVs never died though. Oil prices over $100/barrel, gas prices locked at $4-5/gallon, economy crashing, and job loss is what set back the demand and Hummer offering nothing that was fuel efficient killed the brand.

If GM plays their cards right, this can really pay off for them. Bringing back the Hummer name in a big luxury SUV, offering cutting edge tech, and making it an efficient electric vehicle. GM could really knock it out the park if they partnered with Tesla to allow this thing to utilize the super chargers reducing the recharge time.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
That craving for big SUVs never died though. Oil prices over $100/barrel, gas prices locked at $4-5/gallon, economy crashing, and job loss is what set back the demand and Hummer offering nothing that was fuel efficient killed the brand.
Oh I know. my own girlfriend wants a big SUV. says they're "cute". At this point I've talked her down to a Ford Explorer.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I know. my own girlfriend wants a big SUV. says they're "cute". At this point I've talked her down to a Ford Explorer.
Losing battle my friend. My gf wanted a family hauler for our 4 kids, I recommended we get a minivan and have a nice sedan as the side vehicle we use when we don't have all the kids. Lost that battle and ended up getting an Acadia which is better than a Suburban, but still eats up gas like nobodies business.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the design is similar to the H1 I could see it gaining some traction. The cybertruck's novelty factor will leave a large hole in the market that will give Ford and GM an opportunity to gain a foothold in the electric truck market's early stages

OP
OP
enzo_gt

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest argument in your silly video is that comparable ICE trucks are cheaper.

...so?
I'd argue the biggest argument is range anxiety combined with lower towing capability.

The Cybertruck is basically the Hummer or G-Wagon for Tesla bros this decade. Semi-competent status symbol cars, and there's nothing wrong with status symbol cars - I mean, this is part of why the luxury markets that Tesla participates in exits - but you need to have SOME value proposition there, and pretty much every other Tesla does have a compelling argument that challenges the internal combustion rivals. This is easier to do without in luxury markets (S, X, Roadster) than it is in the markets for Tesla's newer models.

So you really think the Rivian is going to be more successful than the Cybertruck?

Is that belief solely on the physical looks of the two vehicles? Because in tech, performance, and price the Cybertruck destroys the Rivian. To say nothing of the charging network or the OAT updates. I admit I like the design of the Rivian but I don't think it's going to sell anywhere near as much as the Cybertruck will.
Not solely on the physical looks, but I think the physical looks matter a lot for your average consumer. It's why the other Teslas are so conservatively styled, after all.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Rivian gets destroyed based on the price (which is probably the biggest factor, ultimately), spec sheet and the charger network is a huge advantage, but I think the R1T is also way better equipped utility-wise. The side pass-through on the width of the vehicle, ability to climb 45 degrees (this matters more as a selling point than functionally), and an actually nice looking interior (that's also designed to be easy to clean) make it more palatable to consumers than the Cybertruck.

I'm ready to eat my words on this since I think the Cybertruck being successful with it's styling would be a great shake-up for what the industry thinks it can get away with, but it's still a tough sell IMO. Again, I'm not arguing it won't be successful period, I'm arguing whether it will sway pickup buyers, which is the most important segment for EVs to conquer next. If the Rivian isn't competitive either, then they'll buy a Ford or RAM.. not a Cybertruck.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I think Doug does a good job summing it up; he's got another video agreeing/disagreeing to rebuttals to his arguments as well.

It's basically a super awesome sounding vehicle... unless you're the kind of people that buy trucks. But if it's not targeted towards or a good value proposition to them, it's for a very niche market, which Tesla hasn't done since the Roadster and kind of the opposite of what their goals are as a brand. It's a massive missed opportunity, especially given that Musk previously said that it'd be around F150 size, and we got this ludicrously big truck instead.

this is where im at. But more so the styling. I had placed a Model Y preorder early last year, in the time between then and the cyber truck announcement my wife and i both decided instead of a Y we really need a truck. We haul dirt, trees, wood and such so a truck makes sense. But neither of us want a ICE truck, like at all. So we decided we would wait for the cyber truck announcement. My plan was to literally switch my $2500 pre order for the Y to the truck. I had full wife approval and everything. They announced it, we both hate it.

People in the announcement thread were trying to tell me im wrong. But i dont think the cyber truck is a truck for people who buy trucks, like at all. You cant even put a tool box on the back.

You are aware of the preorder volume for Cybertruck, correct? I think calling it a "miss" is very disingenuous.
more people put down 1000 dollars on model 3, than people did on 100 dollar cyber truck order.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Losing battle my friend. My gf wanted a family hauler for our 4 kids, I recommended we get a minivan and have a nice sedan as the side vehicle we use when we don't have all the kids. Lost that battle and ended up getting an Acadia which is better than a Suburban, but still eats up gas like nobodies business.
yeah I lost the crossover fight. she doesn't like the way they look. So I just found an SUV with semi-decent mpg.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
People in the announcement thread were trying to tell me im wrong. But i dont think the cyber truck is a truck for people who buy trucks, like at all. You cant even put a tool box on the back.

Sure you can. There are plenty of in-bed toolboxes that don't overlap the side rails. And there are also doors on the side "sails" on the Cybertruck for additional storage.

Also, I own a pickup truck. I use it to tow a horse trailer, and to haul hay and other things in the back. The Cybertruck can easily do all of that, plus since it has a ramp built in to the tailgate and the air suspension can make the truck tilt back so the end of the ramp is on the ground, it'll be far easier to load and unload the bed than my GMC 1500.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
What's with all the Hummer hate?

The H1 is an iconic beast that needs to be reborn.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Hummer is a fairly toxic brand imo. I'd imagine the Venn diagram of people who view hummer favourably and people interested in an EV is just 2 circles

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

God I loved my mother in-law's Excursion. Shit was a beast. I got to drive it to DC once. So deliciously decadent.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Sure you can. There are plenty of in-bed toolboxes that don't overlap the side rails. And there are also doors on the side "sails" on the Cybertruck for additional storage.

Also, I own a pickup truck. I use it to tow a horse trailer, and to haul hay and other things in the back. The Cybertruck can easily do all of that, plus since it has a ramp built in to the tailgate and the air suspension can make the truck tilt back so the end of the ramp is on the ground, it'll be far easier to load and unload the bed than my GMC 1500.
i just went through the website again and i do not see the doors you speak of? I don't see anything like that.
But again my main issue is that its ugly as fuck. I just don't see traditional truck buyers buying it, and i could be wrong.

Feb 1, 2018
The H1 and H3 were the brands best vehicles, but everyone remembers the brand from the H2 unfortunately.

The H3 was actually the most poorly engineered out of all of them. It was basically off the shelf GM truck parts with a Hummer body design, the automatic transmission was ass and it used 100 year old tech leaf springs

The H3T and H2T were the most interesting products they made, this new EV better have a truck version

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nobody who owned or wanted to own a Hummer is going to want to drive this unless it's like their 50th car and they're just looking to fill their mega garage.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
CYBERTRUCK — Musk was effusive: "A few months ago we revealed the Cybertruck and that went viral. We tried to build a product that is superior in every way without any preconceptions of how the product should look."

"What's the most bad ass futuristic armored personnel carrier? We wanted it to look like it came out of a sci-fi movie from the the future," he said. "We've never seen this level of demand. I think we will sell as many as we can make for many years. It's going to be pretty nuts. I think actually the product is better than people realize even. They don't even have enough information to realize the awesomeness of it. It's just great."

When asked about how many Cybertrucks Tesla could actually make, Musk declined to answer in detail, but said the demand is far more than Tesla could make 3-4 years

That was Elon last night talking about cybertruck. We got reservation numbers 1 week after it was announced and nothing since, so we have no idea how many are reserved now compared to Model 3 which got reservation updates for months. He said they've never seen this level of demand.... That includes Model 3.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It's a weird choice to mix with electric vehicles, but I like the front end. And anything would be better than the Cybertruck.

I still wish Honda went and made their little hatchback EV concept. Oh well.

4IrV8Ws.jpg

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The H3 was actually the most poorly engineered out of all of them. It was basically off the shelf GM truck parts with a Hummer body design, the automatic transmission was ass and it used 100 year old tech leaf springs

The H3T and H2T were the most interesting products they made, this new EV better have a truck version
Agreed on the engineering. They literally took the Colorado and Canyon platform and built the smaller H3.

From a sales view, the H3 helped give a significant sales boots to the brand and allowed it to live as long as it did during the global decline.