• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Demo was really great, though I do hope they add a save anywhere function (like Thief) instead of the checkpoints.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
been playing on blood moon and the crowmen in the sewers really stress me out lmao, especially once you get to the pump room.

"theres another one of those things, oh great theres two of them, oh fuck the WHOLE ROOM is teeming with them"

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that actually worked out in Gloomwood's favour, because I can't remember the other retro-looking first person games from today's streams, only this one.

Bingle Bango

Sep 13, 2018
I'm excited to try the demo. I had already marked it down as cool during the stream during the brief moment they showed it before they skipped the full trailer. Hopefully plenty of people get the opportunity to see it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Very strange that it uses a checkpoint save system. Thief is designed around save scumming, especially on the higher difficulties.

So now if I play anything but the easiest difficulty I need to use checkpoint saves? I don't see that working if this game is truly like Thief.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Very strange that it uses a checkpoint save system. Thief is designed around save scumming, especially on the higher difficulties.

So now if I play anything but the easiest difficulty I need to use checkpoint saves? I don't see that working if this game is truly like Thief.
I think the dev has said it's half System Shock 2 (survival horror, guns) half Thief (atmosphere, stealth). Play with your mistakes.

Regardless there's already a way to get the quicksave item on other difficulties apparently, and it's likely there will be an option or cheat to do so in the final game.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't sound like it's locked in stone that save anywhere will be tied to Easy Mode, just that it's current implementation.

The saving does give the demo a nice Resident Evil tension as you move further and further from the safe zones, especially as you get into the sewers.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I think the dev has said it's half System Shock 2 (survival horror, guns) half Thief (atmosphere, stealth). Play with your mistakes.

Regardless there's already a way to get the quicksave item on other difficulties apparently, and it's likely there will be an option or cheat to do so in the final game.

System Shock 2 was designed around save scumming as well :)

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
System Shock 2 was designed around save scumming as well :)
Ok. Unfortunately that doesn't dismantle the rest of my post.

Resident Evil is also a big influence.

edit: Per David Szymanski in the discord:
"We've discussed having the "music box" option be a toggle rather than dependent on difficulty, with a warning that it's not the intended way to play"

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the demo, Thief vibes are ultra strong. Is this 1 great big world, or cut into levels? If this is 1 big world holy moly.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Large connected districts, so it's one world but broken up into multiple pieces.

giphy.gif

Ok day 1 it is. How can I deny Duskthief.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
How are the higher difficulties? I made the mistake of playing on normal and it felt way too easy / combat was a lot more effective than I expected.

It definitely has the look and feel of Thief, but I'm not sure it's all there for me yet.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Game's dope. I died because I tried to mantle while under a pier and got stuck, only able to move up and down, which sucks but demo!

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
Really great demo - will definitely buy on release if the price is right.
The enemies die to easily on normal though, will try the harder setting later.

Save anywhere as an optional setting for all difficulty options would be ideal for me.

Really sad that PC gamer blew the trailer reveal yesterday, but hey - it's up to us now to spread the word.

Edit - Found this in the steam forums:

500_pts [developer]
"In the demo there is a difficulty that gives you a music box that allows you to save anywhere. In the final game we will likely make this an option for all difficulties should the player desire to use it, even if its not the intended way to play."

Last edited:

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the demo. The visuals and the atmosphere were great, definitely grabbing this day 1.

New Blood sure knows how to pick 'em.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. You need to find the 15 coins that are scattered throughout the level. #15 had me stumped for a good hour or so... and then I realised it was one of the first coins I found but had forgotten to pick up again after reloading my save early into the level. :(

Edit: This guy took a bunch of screenshots showing the locations of most of them, if you need some help.

Ah, I missed the one in the sewer water. I'll have to circle back and give it another go.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Been excited about this for a while. Not even gonna play the demo because I want to savor it all at once.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Already had it Wishlisted and will most certainly Day One, but it's nice to see the demo confirm the hype.

Is Gloomwood using the same music composer as featured in other New Blood releases, Dusk and Amid Evil?

Kinda sounds like his work and he kicks ass.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
It might be Hulshult, but it's not listed anywhere. I think he's working on Prodeus.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
did a playthrough where i skipped flipping the gate switches and stacked crates/barrels to get into the docks and out of the jailhouse. i know theres a speedrun where the runner just stacked two barrels at the start, mantled up to the rooftops and waltzed to the ending in under a minute so what i did isnt that impressive in the grand scheme of things but it was still really fun

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really a shame so many people were angry this was shown instead of Bloodborne

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the demo, but is there no map? Game had signposts everywhere but not sure if the whole game will be designed without a map in mind...

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Bit stuck on the hard (not hardest) difficulty. I only have one pistol shot left and 2 shotgun rounds and not sure how I can survive this elevator. Is there another way out?

Edit: Ah, luckily 2 shots was all I needed.

Last edited:

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This really does look fantastic. Going to check out the demo shortly.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
This game was right up my dark, secluded alley before the demo dropped. Now, I just hope it arrives sooner rather than later.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You know what's awesome? They are introducing a CRIMSON HEAD mechanic into the game from Remake 1. If you kill too many people, a super strong enemy called a Corpse Duster will have a chance of spawning!
riko-gaming-ref.jpg

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The Gloomwood demo is super cool. Feels a little like DCOTE meets the aesthetics The Dark Project, albeit much cleaner looking than both of those. Not the biggest fan of the visual design of the main enemy type, which resembles the robots from Sir, You Are Being Hunted, but the weapon animations are nicely detailed and the general moody ambiance is just A+. Big fan of how minimal the UI is and how the map slowly reveals itself to be this awesome interconnected series of district districts - was a great surprise for me. Great stealthy shooter take on classic survival horror. Flushing enemies down the toilet and then stumbling across their bodies pressed up against the sewer grates was such a charming little touch. Will definitely pickup the full game when it launches.
The green vision cones did remind me of Sir You Are Being Hunted. Haha amazing haven't tried flushing down enemies yet.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
For some reason the graphics lead me to believe that RTX would work and look great with this game!

Hopefully some madlads at Nvidia agree.