• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1800.jpg

A UK tax policy intended to boost the domestic video games industry has been used by some of the world's largest entertainment companies to avoid paying tens of millions of pounds in corporation tax, a Guardian investigation has found.

WarnerMedia, which owns the British game development companies that make the Lego and Batman: Arkham series, has claimed up to £60m in corporation tax relief, according to company filings.

Sony, the owner of PlayStation, claimed almost £30m. Japanese multinational Sega claimed up to £20m, according to audits of its UK subsidiaries that make the strategy-based Total War games and the hit sports series Football Manager.

An important part for context:

However, concerns were raised early that the tax breaks, which the UK government promoted as helping small and medium-size businesses, might be exploited. An official consultation in 2012 warned it "should not create substantial additional avoidance opportunities".

The next year, the European Commission launched an investigation into whether the policy was unfair. It eventually approved the scheme, but only after stating that it had been convinced VGTR would focus on "a small number of distinctive, culturally British games which have increasing difficulties to find private financing".

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
UK is about to become some sort of tax haven soon anyway under this current government!

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a giant company I guarantee you they're not paying their dues.

Fuck the rich.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
What else is new? That's literally the only incentive some of these companies have for staying here. If the tax system ever changed, they'd probably do what EVERY OTHER multinational company has done in the wake of Brexit, leave for some other country in the EU that a) has a lower taxation system and b) has a lower cost of doing business such as lower overall wages in relation to the said country.

And, its no surprise itself that the UK is extremely expensive to live in and recruit talent. Think of how many studios have folded if not outright moved out of the UK.

Is abusing the tax system this way bad? Can't be judged, but what if them still being there gives people jobs?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here in Holland there was something similar with big corporations like Shell. Their answer was "if it's legal to do so, why wouldn't we do it?". Big corps are not giving away their money from the good of their heart. Government should close this hole and make this impossible. Morally it's not right, but i'm not blaming the corporations themselves. If i could make some slight adjustments and fill in some form and i would get a 30% tax reduction i would do so as well (within the bounds of legality).

Oct 25, 2017
What else is new? That's literally the only incentive some of these companies have for staying here. If the tax system ever changed, they'd probably do what EVERY OTHER multinational company has done in the wake of Brexit, leave for some other country in the EU that a) has a lower taxation system and b) has a lower cost of doing business such as lower overall wages in relation to the said country.

And, its no surprise itself that the UK is extremely expensive to live in and recruit talent. Think of how many studios have folded if not outright moved out of the UK.

Is abusing the tax system this way bad? Can't be judged, but what if them still being there gives people jobs?

We already have one of the lowest corporation taxes in the developed world, as the article notes.

It's inevitable when there's an advantage to take, businesses will always go for it. But that doesn't mean they should be blameless, it just means to counteract this regulation needs to be tighter.

They're also not talking about the multinationals per say, but their subsidiaries (development studios such as Rocksteady and Creative Assembly). It's unlikely they would move whole studios if the rules were changed, though yes, I can imagine since business plans were made with these reliefs in mind, changing them would mean a restructuring with probable job losses at the studios, instead of the fair thing of the corporation on top just accepting a (probably slightly) smaller profit margin. But since every company can threaten that against every instance of tax avoidance, it feels super lame just to back down to them.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

it is absolutely bad, these types of incentives should be claimed by small companies so that they have a higher chance to find their niche audience.
Games like total war that sell hundred thousand copies shouldn't be getting a tax break.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I expect lots of pearl clutching and feigned shock by the UK government, as they willingly allowed the companies to use this loophole to relocate to the UK. Expect a firm pat on the wrist and then nothing.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Write the rules better then...

I never get why the average person loves to blame the companies... instead of blaming the jackasses that pass these laws.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Tax policy is the responsibility of governments to coordinate to ensure that these loopholes can't be exploited, both nationally and internationally (google 'double Dutch tax' for a good example).

Or alternatively change the rules around corporate governance to make exploiting loopholes in tax legislation illegal.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
it owns when corporations steal money from citizens and people rush to cape for how it's essential that they be allowed to steal money, think about all the money they're putting back into the pockets they're stealing from.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The UK has had loopholes and grey areas for Tax evasion for a long time, fucking trash government.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I struggle sometimes with these articles.. in the sense that it becomes very difficult to delink the narrative put forth while also being objective of the context.

Here is what i read:
  1. The UK decided to 'encourage' the video game industry by offering a policy that lowered corporate tax for entities engaged in the dev arena.
  2. While aimed at doing good in the small-mid size British industry, they did so fully aware that it might allow larger companies to take advantage of the ruling (while also catering to the spirit in which the law was passed). This was also the view of the EU at some point - but was later dismissed because it was deemed that the program was doing more good for the UK than harm.
  3. At the end of this article - we have direct quotes from a small developer about how the program has been beneficial for them and a report which states that ever 1 pound invested in this program has returned 4 Pounds via employment/associated economic effects.

Here is what we talk about instead (led by the narrative from the article):

1. Big video game companies are avoiding paying taxes in the UK.

The article does not speak to whether they pay any tax today or not (which i'm guessing they HAVE to). My reading is that concessions they use are in line with whatever legal obligation the UK government has put on them within the framework of this program. And while complying with it/within its legal boundaries, these companies are still delivering some value to the UK economy.

If we care strongly about them paying more tax - then its on the UK government to figure out if the increased tax demand is worth whatever effect this program has on the country.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It always seemed to me that games tax breaks would be far more effective at achieving their stated goals if they had provisions to ensure they were going to smaller independently owned UK firms.

Of course they're going to be exploited by multinationals if they're constructed in a manner that explicitly allows exploitation by multinationals.

At the very least, would have been nice to have some kind of test for working conditions at studios too. In cases where excessive crunch and low job security are the norm, I don't see any justification for taxpayer subsidies.

I don't think there's any merit to the idea that the likes of Rockstar North or Sega's UK studios would shut down without tax breaks.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Hey remember that story about Activision running its ip in a basement of the netherlands in order to avoid taxes ? good times

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Tax avoidance in the UK?

I am shocked. I'm sure our Tory government will do something to stop this.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shameful and unacceptable.

Pay your taxes. Break up these companies or ban them from selling any product until they pay their taxes. Stop being so fucking soft on these corporate assholes.

wsbceo

alt account
Banned
Apr 29, 2019
Exactly why I have no problem using regional pricing.

If companies can take advantage of a global economy to the tune of millions, I can save $5 using regional pricing.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
But they told me that companies end up improving the world if they can keep all the money for themselves

Oct 26, 2017
It's not surprising lol

There are a lot of UK studios and some of the biggest studios in the world are based in the UK, of course publishers will use loopholes to dodge taxes.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I always imagine what the world would be like if corporations actually paid their fucking taxes.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Our government pretty much systemically enables high level tax avoidance to entice business and to line the pockets of mega corporations and executives, hence loopholes like this exist and are legally taken advantage of.

Hell, the three most prominent tax havens in the entire world, are all British territories. We need a government that tackles this stuff from the very top, because it is not acceptable and increases both wealth and trading inequality.

Tax Justice Network Study

"The top 10 countries that have done the most to proliferate corporate tax avoidance and break down the global corporate tax system are:

1. British Virgin Islands (British territory)
2. Bermuda (British territory)
3. Cayman Islands (British territory)
4. Netherlands
5. Switzerland
6. Luxembourg
7. Jersey (British dependency)
8. Singapore
9. Bahamas
10. Hong Kong"

UK and territories are 'greatest enabler' of tax avoidance, study says

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking shocking the dirty bastards. Get them to fuck if they don't want to pay tax here they are useless.