• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how it seems to be getting worse. Anecdotal evidence and all that, but I have several gay and trans friends who actively mock/discriminate against anyone who identifies as Bi. I would say 10 or so years ago they were much more accepting of it and now it's all, "Oh? Bi? Watch how hard I can roll my eyes." I honestly don't understand it.

That's sad to hear. It's shocking how many people seem to judge and dismiss the Bi experience. I really don't understand it. There have been real improvements for the LGBTQ+ community in my lifetime, so behavior like this just feels depressingly regressive.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my friends was recently venting to me that whenever he's dating a guy some people make backhand comments like just commit to being gay but then when he's dating a girl someone would privately ask him if he's really just straight but confused.

It sounds maddening honestly, it's like he can't win either way.
I could write you a novel. I've heard it all where I'm "pretending to be gay" "pretending to be straight" some who "can't be left in the room with anyone because I'm obviously attracted to everyone", I'm going to cheat on a partner because "they can't be enough for you" and that coming out is "selfish" and ultimately no matter what I do I'm constantly and consistently invalidated. I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship with someone whose willing to love me for who I am but shits tiring in a way I can't really quantify and just very very common even among friends

That's sad to hear. It's shocking how many people seem to judge and dismiss the Bi experience. I really don't understand it. There have been real improvements for the LGBTQ+ community in my lifetime, so behavior like this just feels depressingly regressive.
It's a complex topic but tldr I think in lgbtq circles bi is the hardest to be a known quantity and people don't want to empathize as much. Logic being "well if you like both you can just lock up half of you in the closet and still be happy"

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
More people coming out as trans (men? women? Non binary? Anywhere is it specified in the survey!?) = decreasing lesbian population? wtf is he thinking unless he's deep into TERF shit?

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Basically every single debate of the past four years has been perfectly calibrated to short circuit all of Greenwald's ideological priors. His anti-imperialism has had him freaking out for years about how skepticism around Trump's Russian connections and fondness for Putin will lead to a new Cold War, and now his free-speech absolutism has him flirting with the gender critical crowd.
Perfectly put. I've been trying to figure out exactly what rotten his brain aside from being on Twitter 20 hours a day, and this is it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I could write you a novel. I've heard it all where I'm "pretending to be gay" "pretending to be straight" some who "can't be left in the room with anyone because I'm obviously attracted to everyone", I'm going to cheat on a partner because "they can't be enough for you" and that coming out is "selfish" and ultimately no matter what I do I'm constantly and consistently invalidated. I'm lucky enough to be in a relationship with someone whose willing to love me for who I am but shits tiring in a way I can't really quantify and just very very common even among friends

I 100% believe you. I was amazed on the shit he got from even causal dates to the point he doesn't even talk about them publicly anymore except in our group of friends.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
"Glenn Greenwald tweeting terf BS" probably should have been in everyone's 2021 bingo card. I can't believe I didn't see it coming.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Well there's far more straight people of the opposite gender than bi/gay of your own. So statistically its not that unusual for us being in a same-sex relationship. Plus it's easier when considering the social issues of being seen as doing something gay.

Oh and also there's some straight women that say they're progressive/woke but suddenly lose interest when they find out you've done something with men. Like it's seen as degrading or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glenn going full TERF. Shocking. He's so desperate to pander to the right he'll say anything. But they'll never accept him no matter how hard he tries because he's gay. He's just another self-hating loser.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Glenn going full TERF. Shocking. He's so desperate to pander to the right he'll say anything. But they'll never accept him no matter how hard he tries because he's gay. He's just another self-hating loser.
Yep. Same road Dave Rubin went down to become nothing more than a useful idiot for the right while being despised by them behind closed doors.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
One of my friends was recently venting to me that whenever he's dating a guy some people make backhand comments like just commit to being gay but then when he's dating a girl someone would privately ask him if he's really just straight but confused.

This has happened to me as well.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how those numbers would look for the older generations if it weren't for the deaths of so many at the height of the AIDS crisis.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Was this a multiple choice poll? Being trans and being lgb (or straight) aren't mutually exclusive. Just seems like a flawed way to run the poll if trans participants had to choose between picking trans or their actual sexual orientation.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017

I don't get what's so hard about committing. After all, I've only ever found one woman attractive ever in life. (/s in case it wasn't obvious)

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I read through his comments in the Twitter thread, but I don't understand the reaction that he's "mad" at bi / trans people. Is there some toxic narrative he generally tries to push, which his Twitter thread ties into? (Note: I don't know much about this guy / his issues, so if my question is easily answerable via googling just let me know.)
He's pulling the "I'm just asking questions" card which is the issue. He doesn't have to be mad or even really have a genuine conclusion.

As a lot of people have mentioned, the idea of bi-erasure is one that is older than even Glenn. It's the wrongheaded idea that exists both in straight & queer communities that people who say they are bi/pan are either not brave enough to say they're gay, use that status as some sort of excuse to play the field or justify cheating/the idea that bi/pan people are inherently going to be unfaithful, or that being bi/pan is just a phase or something said to be trendy or attention seeking.

With this context, Glenn gets to put forwards the research about so many bi people ultimately ending up in long term opposite sex relationships and leaves it to hang. He doesn't make a point but wants his audience to make the point in their own heads so he gets off Scott free. It's something that he just advocates should be "investigated" more despite not coming clean on why he thinks that specific information in the study is somehow important and what exactly does he think it reveals about bi/pan people that is so interesting.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
I don't get what's so hard about committing. After all, I've only ever found one woman attractive ever in life. (/s in case it wasn't obvious)

Right! What about trans gays? They can't be "lesbians" by definition of their attraction, yes?

it's almost as if Glenn had the TERFy conclusion first and then scrambled and failed to fit the data into supporting his narrative.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how those numbers would look for the older generations if it weren't for the deaths of so many at the height of the AIDS crisis.
Yeah, it's insane how little recognition there seems to be about what AIDS did to the community at that time.

Plus I can't help but think that the stair-step progression of 4% to 9% to 16% in Gen X, Millenial, and Gen Z is also indicative of how many folks may still be closeted or more secretive about their sexuality or identity. Like I'd have to imagine that Millennials and Gen X wouldn't truly have that low of LGBT percentages when Z goes as high as it does, which is really saddening for what it says about what our culture has done for so long at putting pressure that keeps people in the closet.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He's unreadable. I've never read him much, so I don't know if he's always been like this. I also don't know what it is about Substack that makes them (not just Greenwald) think every piece has to be so GD long. You add that to the screed quality of Greenwald's adjective laden writing, and it's a completely disaster.

He's always been like this, there was never a heel turn. People just thought he was an ally because he caped for Snowden and took on corruption in Brazil.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
He's always been like this, there was never a heel turn. People just thought he was an ally because he caped for Snowden and took on corruption in Brazil.

He also was a vocal critic of the bush administration during the Obama years. However, it is clear now the only time he attacks the right is as a way to attack the left.

"Bush's drone program was horrible and the fact that Obama is continuing means he is horrible too"

"Bush spying on citizens was horrendous and Obama is actually worse for not stopping it"

I noticed this the few times over the last years when he would speak out against Trump culture. It was ALWAYS framed as a "both sides" or "the left are hypocrites".

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York

Literally had a two-hour long browbeating from a coworker over this almost a decade ago now. I've been out as bi since high school (going on 13 years now), and this guy and his friend (both gay men) spent quite literally two hours explaining to me how I was really just closeted gay and needed to either "commit to it or just stick to women" as I was doing damage to the movement by having a girlfriend at the time...

This shit happens A LOT, from what I've been told by others in similar situations, but that was my only personal experience with it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been more consistently right about something than I have that Glenn Greenwald is a fucking turd. I'd like to enjoy my righteousness except it has to come at the cost of someone else's gender erasure, so fuck you glen.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Not only is he contributing to TERF narratives, but he's also really bad at reading stats lol.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
As a bi boi...... We are always attacked it's so frequent i can't even

For real. After finally working up the nerve to admit I was bisexual midway through college (circa 2006) after realizing it in high school this was me for awhile.
Eb63iyCWkAETEbp.png

It's still way better than it was, but ho boy that's not setting the bar high.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
This isn't my ball game, but is not the fact that most bi people are in straight relationships completely logical? Straight people are significantly more common? For example, a bi man would have a much easier time finding a straight woman than a gay man to date. I don't see anything unusual with that statistic.

And also, fuck off with trying to define someone else's gender identity.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
There are ten times as many bi people in opposite-sex relationships, and also ten times as many straight people as gay people.

If only there was some way to understand these facts in relation to one another...

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

What a fucking brain genius over here.

These people never fucking say why they think someone would choose to be queer if they really thought that shit was such an epidemic. It shouldn't matter either way even in their warped reality but being queer doesn't make you famous. Gay people had to fight tooth and nail for generations to get married. Trans women have to deal with always being on the precipice of being brutalized or killed on the judgment of monsters who arbitrairily decide when they've not been as forthcoming as they'd like with their identity/transition status. Hormones & gender reassignment are taxing on the finances & body of trans people. In this very tweet he's accusing LGBTQ people to all be a giant cabal interested in indoctrination of children for some ill defined nefarious purpose. Like who would want to live out here when there are people like himself thinks of them that way just because they sleep with partners of the same gender? Why the fuck do these people think queer people would willingly chose to live in a world where they are so despised if it's just a choice? And I know the answer is simply that they either don't actually care about all that and have to wipe those realities from their mind to justify their bigotry but it's just so frustrating.

I'm black & queer but I don't consider it fun to be victimized by this world. I don't like living my life knowing there are various groups of violent bigots who I could cross paths with one day and end up slaughtered or crippled by on their whim. Constantly fighting & begging to be treated humanely isn't fucking entertaining. Repeatedly second guessing if coming out to my family will result in them de facto disowning me forever isn't a fucking blast.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Literally had a two-hour long browbeating from a coworker over this almost a decade ago now. I've been out as bi since high school (going on 13 years now), and this guy and his friend (both gay men) spent quite literally two hours explaining to me how I was really just closeted gay and needed to either "commit to it or just stick to women" as I was doing damage to the movement by having a girlfriend at the time...

This shit happens A LOT, from what I've been told by others in similar situations, but that was my only personal experience with it.

Geez it's insane that it's been the same song and dance for this long.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe we should stop giving this third-rate "journalist" more attention, and thus influence? Like basically anytime I hear of him is threads on Era pointing out the next garbage thing he said. I don't want to thread whine, here, genuinely think that this type of attention is half the reason he makes tweet like that.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we should stop giving this third-rate "journalist" more attention, and thus influence? Like basically anytime I hear of him is threads on Era pointing out the next garbage thing he said. I don't want to thread whine, here, genuinely think that this type of attention is half the reason he makes tweet like that.
Too many foolish individuals still have high regard for him barbecue he did a good thing many years ago. He needs to be exposed for what he is.

Last edited:

Hakimy

Nov 9, 2017
Since i don't know much about this person, i want to ask this. I see a lot of people shitting on him here yet recently i have seen him in many lefties Twitter and YouTube channels doing interviews and chatting with them! So what's the deal here?

OP
OP
Senator Toadstool

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since i don't know much about this person, i want to ask this. I see a lot of people shitting on him here yet recently i have seen him in many lefties Twitter and YouTube channels doing interviews and chatting with them! So what's the deal here?
he has leftie cred because he's "anti imperialist" and done some legit good reporting from the left in brazil.

he helped reveal a lot of the nsa stuff which was a legit public service.

his recent appearances on leftists stuff has been less but they typically just ignore this stuff though this is the first time i've seen prominent lefitists openly shitting on him. he might have crossed the rubicon