• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck Bolsonaro, but they have audio with GG coordinating the crime with the hackers. Nothing will happen with him, though.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Bolsonaro, but they have audio with GG coordinating the crime with the hackers. Nothing will happen with him, though.
he didnt coordinated the crime, the hacking, he said to the hackers to the delete the messages sent to him (glenn), since to receive the message with the messages is not a crime, so "obstruction of justice" is not applied here when the fact/person investigated didnt committed a crime. If you accept this line of though of receiving is a crime, that would criminalize any journalist that receive criminal leaks with public interest.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
When they try to murder him like they did Marielle Franco it will be very important to be on the record as saying Greenwald isnt good cuz he said Russia hysteria was dumb
I agree with both positions. GG does have a ton of shit takes and also definitely does not deserve persecution or worse at the hands of that shitty fascist. Hoping he and his family stay safe.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I mean what even came out of that whole Russia gate stuff? What were the actual outcomes? I mean Russia trying to interfere in the US mostly sounds pedestrian. This what countries who are essentially locked in negative relations do. I would rather they got a fucking long, but both administrations are among the world's worst.

What do you mean what came out of "that whole Russia gate stuff?" We're living in it.

At the direction of Vladimir Putin, the Russian intelligence agency, the FSB (formerly KGB), and the Russian army set up coordinated attacks on two arms of the Democratic party, the DNC, the DNCC, and individual top Democrats involved in Hillary Clinton's campaign. When negative news stories emerged about Donald Trump, the FSB would leak negative details about Hillary Clinton to Wikileaks that they obtained illegally. The best example of this is the same day that Trump's infamous "grab them by the pussy" sexual assault audio tape was reported, hours later, WIkileaks dumped a new trove of emails between John Podesta (Clinton's campaign chair) and others in the Democratic party to make them look bad and deflect negative attention from Trump. Simultaneously, the FSB ran a vast advertising program on sites like Facebook, created thousands of fake social media accounts, and ran targeted campaigns intended to look organic that would subtly steer voters in battleground states away from Clinton and to either Trump, 3rd parties, or discourage them from voting at all.

Trump won the narrowest election in a generation, narrowly beating Clinton by mere tens of thousands of votes across four key states, losing the popular vote by millions. As a result, Trump became president and began following through on a pro-Putin, pro-Kremlin, pro-Russian foreign policy agenda. The Trump administration eased sanctions on prominent Russians or Russian allies that they had control of easing. The "Crown Jewels" of Russia sanctions are actually out of Trump's control because they were passed by congress in 2012 and 2014, as a result of Russian's invasion of Ukraine, and state torture and execution of Sergei Magnitsky. This was Putin's real goal in courting the Trump campaign, to get the sanctions passed under The Magnitsky Act reduced (this is what the infamous Trump Tower meeting was between Donald Trump Jr and the FSB spy who was charged by the Mueller team, so called "Adoptions," which is actually code for sanctions from the Magnitsky Act). Those are outside of Trump's control as it'll take legislative to reverse them. But, beyond reducing santions, Trump has taken American troops and influence out of Syria and handed that over to Russia; Trump has continually argued that Russia should be added back to the G8 (which is now the G7) the global economic forum that Russia was booted out of in the aftermath of the Russian invasion of Ukraine; Trump has distanced America from relationships with the United Kingdom, France, and Germany, in favor of closer relationships with Russia and Putin. Every day, Trump legitimizes and praises Putin. And four years after the FSB hacked the Democratic party in the United States, Trump continually, repeatedly, pervasively, argues that Russia had nothing to do with it and "nobody knows who hacked the DNC or Podesta," and continually endorses Russian-created conspiracies that the hack of the Democratic party was actually a Ukrainian-led false flag hack which is at the root of the Ukranian-aid scandal that Trump has been impeached for.

The Trump Administration and Putin's oligarchy get along swimmingly well, because of "The whole Russiagate stuff."

It's all fucking related.
  • Putin solidifies power by having his FSB stage fake terrorist attacks in Moscow to serve as pretense for the 2nd Crimean War
  • Former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko reveals this and flees Russia, is granted asylum in London, where he's poisoned and assassinated by the FSB
  • Europe, the US, and other Western countries pass a round of sanctions against Russia in the aftermath of this execution on British soil
  • Bill Browder, the UK-born American businessman in Russia gets pinched out of his company as the Kremlin makes a move to take it over, he flees Russia and becomes an outspoken Putin critic. Putin has Browder's lawyer, Sergei Matnitsky, arrested, held against his will without charged, tortured, and eventually executed.
  • Browder goes on an international tour promoting the so-called "Magnitsky Act," which is a round of sweeping sanctions and financial regulations that prevent Russian co-conspirators from accessing their assets held in foreign banks (which are, btw, the majority of assets held by Russia's millionaire class of Oligarchs)
  • As a result of the Magnitsky Act, Russia takes the pecular step of banning adoptions of Russian children to certain Western countries. It was a weird, punitive, pointless action .... until ...
  • Putin allies meet with Donald Trump Junior, Michael Flynn, and other prominent people in Trump's inner circle to discuss "adoptions" at Trump Tower. "Adoptions" is code for ending American sanctions against Russia. Flynn, Don Jr., say that they're interested in Russian support of Trump and in exchange, he'll consider the "Adoption" issue.
  • Senator Jeff Sessions, an early Trump supporter, meets with Russian ambassador Sergei Kislyak twice, which Sessions later denies.
  • Russia materially supports the Trump campaign in 2016
  • The FBI begins to investigate links between Trump's campaign and Russia.
  • Trump wins the election
  • Former intelligence agents hired by Republican and Democratic campaign groups in 2016 also pick up information on links between the Trump campaign and Russia, notably, Christopher Steele former British intelligence officer who chaired MI5's Russia desk. Steel is accumulating this information in what becomes known as "The Steel Dossier," which is eventually leaked to numerous American press organizations (likely by a staffer in John McCain or Lindsay Graham's office), and BuzzFeed eventually publishes the document.
  • FBI director James Comey announces that the Trump campaign is being investigated for links to Russia
  • Donald Trump pressurees James Comey to drop the investigation, Comey refuses, Trump asks Comey for loyalty, Comey says his only loyalty is to the Constitution.
  • Trump fires James Comey
  • Freshly appointed Attorney General Jeff Sessions announces he's recusing himself from the investigation into the Trump campaign and Russia because of his meetings with Kislyak earlier in 2016. Deputy A.G. Rod Rosenstein appoints Bob Mueller as special counsel, which officially begins the Mueller Investigation.
  • Trump repeatedly denies any links between Russia, his campaign, the 2016 election, the hack of the DNC, and any effort by Russia to provide him any material aid in 2016. He undercuts the CIA, FBI, and his own Justice Dept. who have all said that Russia interferred in the 2016 election at the order of Vladimir Putin.
It's all related, one thing leads to the next. Trump has been impeached over Ukraine because of this bizarre conspiracy theory originating out of Russia that it was Ukraine who hacked the DNC email servers with the intent to blame it on Putin. It's a debunked, baseless conspiracy but that's why Trump cares about Ukraine, that's why he's ordering Rudy Guiliani to get involved with these Ukrainian millionaire crooks like Lev Parnas; that's why Trump aids are forcing out Ukrainian ambassadors and replacing them with yes-men; that's why Trump has any interest in Hunter Biden being on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company. It all goes back to Trump's cozy relationship with Vladimir Putin and Russia. Trump has these relationships with Russians in the first place because Trump's failing businesses have all relied on Russian and Eastern European mob-money to keep them afloat; when Trump's failure as a business man in the 90s and 2000s forced him to declare bankruptcy six times, American banks stopped lending to him, and his real estate properties became investment vehicles for foreign mobsters trying to wash their dirty Russian money in American real estate, which worked perfectly well for decades until the Magnitsky Act made that impossible.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'd far, far rather have a few libertarian dweebs working as journalists against fascist authoritarians than have those fascist authoritarians stay in power.

People making Greenwald out to be Andy Ngo tier. All differences I have in opinion with Greenwald are immaterial in comparison to this shameless attempt to gag the press and keep Bolsonaro's rule unaccountable.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
For Americans, this is another reason to get out to vote and vote for whoever the Democrat is in 2020. I know Greenwald -- a frequent critic of the Obama Administration -- being charged with crimes in Brazil doesn't seem very related to who the American president is, but thugs like Bolsonaro are emboldened by Trump's repeated attacks on free press in America; I'd imagine Trump would probably praise Bolsonaro for this, even though Greenwald has (unwittingly? wittingly?) defended Trump in the past over allegations of collusion between Russia and Trump. Trump is jealous of any dictators ability to jail his critics, and often praises them for it.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
The stories are a bit confusing from my POV.
- Is Glenn clean in this case? What exactly is the charge? Did he participate in the hacking or was just publishing?
- Is this a Police job? What is the Government role?

Oct 30, 2017
How is legitimately critiquing GG being "a part of it"? This is a legitimately horrible incident but that doesn't mean I have to ignore how GG downplays Trump or Putin.
Because you are literally undermining the context of this entire situation being a blatant example of a fascist government threatening the LIVES of a man and his entire family. We can go on and on about Glenn and his views of the validity of Russian interference but you miss the point entirely. It comes off as borderline sociopathic.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Not at all surprised at some of the takes in this thread. Some of you really went off the cliff, and have been in that ditch since November 2016.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling, inflammatory whataboutism and non-sequitur
Because you are literally undermining the context of this entire situation being a blatant example of a fascist government threatening the LIVES of a man and his entire family. We can go on and on about Glenn and his views of the validity of Russian interference but you miss the point entirely. It comes off as borderline sociopathic.

Certainly not more than GG bothsidsing American politics and normalizing Trump has undermined the fate of asylum kids who've died in captivity at the border. He has an audience, I don't.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just want to reminder anyone not from brazil that the cyber crimes that he is being charged of is exposing conversations that prooved LOTS of shitty things related to carwash operation AND Bolsonaro's current Minister of Justice

Considering he is being charged, this means they KNOW the leaked stuff is real.

Should be noted that ZERO investigations were made related to the carwash operation or the minister of justice

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't put aside your mild disdain for Greenwald to see that he is being targeted by a violent and evil fascist government, uh, maybe log off for the day.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Greenwald or the Intercept. My dislike for Bolsonaro is greater so I feel indifferent about it at the moment.
Greenwald has been pretty terrible and harmful at times, but has done some good reporting too. There's a world of difference between being a Fascist head of state and a biased journalist. Journalists, good and bad, should not be political prisoners. Full stop.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Greenwald has been pretty terrible and harmful at times, but has done some good reporting too. There's a world of difference between being a Fascist head of state and a biased journalist. Journalists, good and bad, should not be political prisoners. Full stop.

This x1000. There's no equating the two, and journalists should be protected.

Oct 30, 2017
You people literally value pedantry over a man's life. Glenn Greenwald isn't fucking Richard Spencer; get over yourselves.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
- Is Glenn clean in this case? What exactly is the charge? Did he participate in the hacking or was just publishing?
- Is this a Police job? What is the Government role?
the charge against him is that he communicated with the hacker and asked to delete the messages sent to him. So they are saying gleen is using journalism to defend himself, but he coordinated the hacking because he asked to delete the messages that he received, yeah thats it...

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
it is very important for people to make it clear they in fact do not like glenn greenwald before condemning this.
It shows that you know that your personal opinion that he is bad doesn't make make it ok for an authoritarian to take them prisoner, or worse. It's a good thing to understand.

Deleted member 22901

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if you actually give a shit about a fascist government going after a journalist fighting against them maybe don't qualify your statements by saying how much you dislike said journalist. nobody cares that you don't like him, what purpose does it serve to even bring it up?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
This really sucks. I hope he stays safe and gets the fuck out of there.

Fuck Bolsonaro.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Like whom? Genuinely interested. Also, I don't expect to agree with someone on every issue. Still, I tend to think his investigative journalism in Brazil has been excellent, and he is generally pretty good on his analysis of aspects of US politics.

I think it interesting to think about what is the issue that skews an opinion.
A specific instance that comes to mind would be going onto white supremecist Tucker Carlson's show to trash Democrats and push Trump's conspiracy talking points on his Russian links.

When he's good, he's very good. When bad, he's among the worst journalism has to offer.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

On the middle of last year Bolsonaro said Glenn needed to be jailed "for his crimes"

Then this video happened

long story short transcript of what happened

Journalist: So what crime did he do it?
President Spokesperson: a crime
Journalist: ok but what crime?
President Spokesperson: The president has no doubt it happened. Anyone else has doubts a crime happened?
Journalist: ok. but what crime?
President Spokesperson: *reads big excerpt about hacking to target the president*
Journalist: So he commited the crime of hacking ?
President Spokesperson: i think it became very clear what crime he did
Journalist: no it didn't
President Spokesperson: next question

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
On the middle of last year Bolsonaro said Glenn needed to be jailed "for his crimes"

Then this video happened

long story short transcript of what happened

Journalist: So what crime did he do it?
President Spokesperson: a crime
Journalist: ok but what crime?
President Spokesperson: The president has no doubt it happened. Anyone else has doubts a crime happened?
Journalist: ok. but what crime?
President Spokesperson: *reads big excerpt about hacking to target the president*
Journalist: So he commited the crime of hacking ?
President Spokesperson: i think it became very clear what crime he did
Journalist: no it didn't
President Spokesperson: next question

Jesus. Couldn't even be bothered to make something up.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Dude's one of Bolsonaro's most hated at the moment, and casts doubts on a guy who built his entire public persona on being an impartial pursuer of justice - even tho his appointment to Justice Minister makes it clear in-hindsight that he was always using it as a means to ingratiate himself with establishment right-wing figures - it's not surprising that they're finally trying to move against him.
The seat that his husband holds was formerly held by their friend Marielle Franco, who was blatantly murdered in broad daylight by police working on Bolsonaro's behalf. People know that Bolsonaro is a bad dude, but the situation in Brazil is nothing short of a Political Emergency at this point. Greenwald has every reason to flee, as he is now a political prisoner.
I didn't even know about the Bolsonaro connection until about a week ago after watching The Edge of Democracy and that reperking my interest in her assassination. The connection with his son was pretty blatant too, and yet nothing was done.
Glenn is best described as the ultimate contrarian when it comes to US foreign policy, meaning that he's often willing to go to bat for heinous people or positions just because of his reflexive need to be on the opposite side of whatever Washington is pushing. This means - along with his frequent appearances on Tucker Carlson - his casting doubt not just on Russiagate, but a general attitude of being semi-apologetic towards Russia on the world stage (tho not to the point where he denies their treatment of political prisoners or LGBTQ+ people).

Here's a good way to put: Max Blumenthal is paid to be a propagandist for Moscow, while Glenn will go to bat free-of-charge due to his attitude and personality.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Yikes at equivocating Greenwald's journalism, whether you agree or disagree with him, with a dictator.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Not a fan of Greenwald or the Intercept. My dislike for Bolsonaro is greater so I feel indifferent about it at the moment.

Look son, I think Greenwald can be annoying and occasionally has bad takes in service of an obviously very lefty bordering on Bernie Bro position, and his position on Assange is slippery and occasionally annoying.

That said, I also wasn't much of a fan of Jamal Kashoggi, who ostensibly lost a game of palace intrigue to the Crown Prince and paid for it with his life. You don't have to 100% back a journalist to feel scared about their freedoms and safety being compromised for state interests. This is a terrible terrible thing regardless of how you feel about Greenwald.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
Dude's one of Bolsonaro's most hated at the moment, and casts doubts on a guy who built his entire public persona on being an impartial pursuer of justice - even tho his appointment to Justice Minister makes it clear in-hindsight that he was always using it as a means to ingratiate himself with establishment right-wing figures - it's not surprising that they're finally trying to move against him.

I didn't even know about the Bolsonaro connection until about a week ago after watching The Edge of Democracy and that reperking my interest in her assassination. The connection with his son was pretty blatant too, and yet nothing was done.

Glenn is best described as the ultimate contrarian when it comes to US foreign policy, meaning that he's often willing to go to bat for heinous people or positions just because of his reflexive need to be on the opposite side of whatever Washington is pushing. This means - along with his frequent appearances on Tucker Carlson - his casting doubt not just on Russiagate, but a general attitude of being semi-apologetic towards Russia on the world stage (tho not to the point where he denies their treatment of political prisoners or LGBTQ+ people).

Here's a good way to put: Max Blumenthal is paid to be a propagandist for Moscow, while Glenn will go to bat free-of-charge due to his attitude and personality.

Extremely well put. Greenwald is kneejerk contrarianism at its finest, but he's done a lot of good regarding Brazil and what's happening to him is very scary.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured they would go after him sooner or later. He's had a target on his back for a good while now.

Oct 28, 2017
People will eventually realize that it wasn't Greenwald who normalized Trump...it was actually the Democrats and the corporate media who have been crying wolf for so long that Trump's very real crimes are now being ignored by the general public.

Greenwald has been doing incredible work in Brazil for years fighting extreme fascism so acting like he was attempting to enable Trump here requires either cognitive dissonance or just straight ignorance of his record.