• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 20, 2019
It's being reported in the New York Times

This may put the lives of his husband and children in jeopardy. Threats against them have been made by Bolsinaro and others on the far-right.

More information on the genesis of the cyber-crimes claim can be found in this Washington Post story from July 2019:

WaPo said:
For weeks, from a house transformed into a bunker, Greenwald had published allegations casting doubt on the impartiality of the corruption investigation that led to the imprisonment of former Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and contributed to the rise of President Jair Bolsonaro.

In two days, he would publish another story alleging that the judge who'd overseen Lula's case, Sérgio Moro, a national hero in Brazil for his role taking on corruption, had colluded with prosecutors to convict him.

"This material is going to come out," he said. "Even if they put me in prison."

WaPo said:
When Bolsonaro won the election, Paris-based Reporters Without Borders called him "a serious threat to press freedom and democracy in Brazil."

It was in this context, Greenwald says, that a person — he declined to say who — got in touch to offer information that would send tremors through the political order.

A central figure in the archive of materials he obtained was Moro, one of Brazil's most popular people, seen by many as a crusader for public probity.

The Intercept's first story, published in early June, challenged that narrative. It alleged that Moro had worked inappropriately with federal prosecutors to imprison Lula, the leader in presidential polls, clearing Bolsonaro's path to the presidency. Moro has denied wrongdoing.

Carlos Bolsonaro, the president's son, fanned conspiracy theories and appeared to call Greenwald's husband a girl. An online petition for the journalist's deportation amassed nearly 100,000 signatures. Homophobic messages tore across social media. Moro said the Intercept was "allied" with "criminal hackers."

Then this month, the website Antagonist, which has a reputation in Brazil as anti-Lula, reported that the federal police were investigating Greenwald's finances. Officials have declined to confirm or deny an investigation.

Last edited:

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
It was brave of him to stay in that country despite knowing this would likely be coming.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully, he'll be able to get somewhere safe. I can't imagine he'd receive fair treatment or a fair trial in Brazil.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
They're going to try to fucking kill him.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's been a force for good in the world. He needs to get out of Brazil with his family ASAP and go somewhere safe. The Bolsonaro government isn't going to treat him well or fairly.

I hope he gets out safely.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is very bad. I appreciate the work hes been doing there but he needs to get out now.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by trolling
Glen getting himself into hijinks again

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
He has adopted kids and is married to a congressman, right? I don't see how he could leave at this point.

The seat that his husband holds was formerly held by their friend Marielle Franco, who was blatantly murdered in broad daylight by police working on Bolsonaro's behalf. People know that Bolsonaro is a bad dude, but the situation in Brazil is nothing short of a Political Emergency at this point. Greenwald has every reason to flee, as he is now a political prisoner.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Brazilian supreme court has forbidden any investigation on him regarding this matter. The DA on the case claims he wasn't the target of the investigation on the matter and in light of these "fortuitous evidence" uncovered on an "unrelated" investigation, is seeking to overrule the decision by the court. Maybe someone with a more legal background than me can tell us if this has any chance of success.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I really dislike GG but this is super shitty. I hope he is and remains OK, and gets out if that's what has to happen.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is clearly politically motivated given he has been a force for good bringing up evidence of the corruption of the Bolsonaro regime.

But considering his rather rebellious political leanings I wonder if any Western governments will stand up for him if this goes ahead. Certainly not the US one.

He also really does put a bee in liberals bonnets around here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly politically motivated given he has been a force for good bringing up evidence of the corruption of the Bolsonaro regime.

But considering his rather rebellious political leanings I wonder if any Western governments will stand up for him if this goes ahead. Certainly not the US one.

He also really does put a bee in liberals bonnets around here.

Probably those other right-wing goons he apologizes for.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
i already talked about this in an earlier thread, but it's incredible how some american progressives ignore the work Greenwald is doing around the world and especially in Brazil against fascism because "he went on Fox News"

really hope that Bolsonaro can fuck himself and stop trying to persecute Glenn

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
If he intends to flee, he should do so soon. I have a feeling he knew it was only a matter of time.

Despite how people feel about the body of work and things Greenwald says, it just isn't safe in Brazil and he will not be treated fairly.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Probably those other right-wing goons he apologizes for.

Like whom? Genuinely interested. Also, I don't expect to agree with someone on every issue. Still, I tend to think his investigative journalism in Brazil has been excellent, and he is generally pretty good on his analysis of aspects of US politics.

I think it interesting to think about what is the issue that skews an opinion.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Like whom? Genuinely interested. Also, I don't expect to agree with someone on every issue. Still, I tend to think his investigative journalism in Brazil has been excellent, and he is generally pretty good on his analysis of aspects of US politics.

I think it interesting to think about what is the issue that skews an opinion.

Greenwald has been a loud voice in condemning the "Russia hoax". It's why he earns a prime time spot on Tucker Carlson constantly.

I disagree with his hot takes on that, but I also disagree with Bolsonaro essentially putting a hit out on him and his family.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The supreme court said it was bullshit to investigate him on these same charges.

So they literally went and "this dude is guilty" without any investigation

Deleted member 21012

User requested account closure
Oct 28, 2017
Clarifying: that means that they are demanding an investigation. Most likely the judicial system will consider that the Supreme Court has already ruled on the case and reject it.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
User banned (3 days): derailing a thread with an inflammatory drive-by by minimizing the persecution of journalist
Not a fan of Greenwald or the Intercept. My dislike for Bolsonaro is greater so I feel indifferent about it at the moment.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even in a investigation he could be temp. arrested by any bs reason, i hope the supreme court would act quickly but he could be in jail at any time.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Greenwald has been a loud voice in condemning the "Russia hoax". It's why he earns a prime time spot on Tucker Carlson constantly.

I disagree with his hot takes on that, but I also disagree with Bolsonaro essentially putting a hit out on him and his family.

I mean what even came out of that whole Russia gate stuff? What were the actual outcomes? I mean Russia trying to interfere in the US mostly sounds pedestrian. This what countries who are essentially locked in negative relations do. I would rather they got a fucking long, but both administrations are among the world's worst.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

In arduously defending freedom of speech and freedom of information, Greenwald has either wittingly or unwittingly promoted messages endorsed by far right, alt-right, or other anti-democratic organizations. When pushed, he's often equivocated between nefarious regimes and more benevolent administrations.

I wouldn't say that I don't support his agenda... I support Greenwald's agenda of freedom of speech, but I think his willingness to have his platform subverted by more nefarious individuals than the ones he's targeting is a problem. He knows Julian Assange and Wikileaks better than I do (and any of us do) and so he is an expert on them, but I think his proximity to Wikileaks and Assange has made him blind to the how Wikileaks has become a mouth-piece of far-right FSB-backed disinformation over the last ~5 years. He ardently defends Wikileaks as being afforded press freedoms and criticizes western journalists who don't defend Assange and Wikileaks the same way, but I think many have started to see that Wikileaks is not a press outlet, but a sort of nationally-independent counter intelligence agency.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Greenwald or the Intercept. My dislike for Bolsonaro is greater so I feel indifferent about it at the moment.
I am not a fan of Greenwald either, but I wouldn't equivocate that with a truly fascist dictator who is killing or imprisoning political enemies and contributing to the burning of the Amazon.

I mean what even came out of that whole Russia gate stuff? What were the actual outcomes? I mean Russia trying to interfere in the US mostly sounds pedestrian. This what countries who are essentially locked in negative relations do. I would rather they got a fucking long, but both administrations are among the world's worst.
Russia intervening in a U.S. presidential election to help get elected their preferred candidate as president, who has since consistently showered praise on Vladimir Putin, shown public support for typical Russian talking points (on everything from election interference to Crimea), and reengineered Middle East foreign policy around positions that benefit Russia -- all in very sharp breaks from his own administration -- is all, I would say, some pretty serious outcomes! Just because there was no phone call or letter where Trump said, "Now, Vladimir, let us collude" does not mean any of these things didn't happen and aren't meaningful. They did and are!

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
This is legitimately horrific. Bolsonaro"s presidency has done much to destroy Brasil"s democratic institutions. Im glad that Lula is out of jail because the left has to fight and shout at every turn until the fascists are out of power.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The seat that his husband holds was formerly held by their friend Marielle Franco, who was blatantly murdered in broad daylight by police working on Bolsonaro's behalf. People know that Bolsonaro is a bad dude, but the situation in Brazil is nothing short of a Political Emergency at this point. Greenwald has every reason to flee, as he is now a political prisoner.
This.

Anybody qualifying your statements because he goes on the bad man TV shows, you're part of it. The mans life, his children's lives, are at risk because he DARED to say "no" to fascism. Justsupport him, what the fuck does your Russian hysteria have ti do with a man being taken as a political prisoner.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Bolsonaro is scum. Hope he gets what's coming to him soon. Shame he seems to still be seen as an ally by Trump.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This.

Anybody qualifying your statements because he goes on the bad man TV shows, you're part of it. The mans life, his children's lives, are at risk because he DARED to say "no" to fascism. Justsupport him, what the fuck does your Russian hysteria have ti do with a man being taken as a political prisoner.

How is legitimately critiquing GG being "a part of it"? This is a legitimately horrible incident but that doesn't mean I have to ignore how GG downplays Trump or Putin.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he published information that might have been obtained by someone illegally? Not that he obtained it himself. I'm not sure what the laws are on that kind of thing in Brazil, I don't believe that would be 'cyber crime' in the US

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it is very important for people to make it clear they in fact do not like glenn greenwald before condemning this.