• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of us would dispute that Trump's mishandling of COVID-19 cost tens of thousands of lives. I disagree with Greenwald on that, I think it's a moral shame what Trump did there. But the total loss of life due to Bush's illegitimate war in the Middle East is higher than the current COVID-19 death toll. I think it's fair to say that Trump and Bush are comparably bad.

But that's not what he's doing

That last tweet is key.

He says liberals were more justified going after Bush than Trump

This isn't an equation it's a Trump isn't that bad

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Blowing my mind right now the president has been openly advocating vigilante murderers for his political enemies - civilian and otherwise - and we got people nodding their heads to "Other than some tweets and unusual personality affects, there's been nothing "abnormal" about the Trump presidency compared to what came before it"

You don't have to be 100% reductive on the unique sewage of Donald Trump to make the point of not sitting back on status quo politics.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, "both sides."
Such eloquence

But I do agree with his first point that people better not be back to tuning out if Biden is elected. Falling asleep at the wheel will just bring another Trump around into the seat eventually.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Are those supposed to be counter points? I agree with all of this. America was rotten before trump and will continue to be so after him (even though he escalated it to a new level in many ways)

So trump was really bad but not that bad.

All of this to rationalize support for a journalist who supports Trump.

Trump who right now is arguing political violence against his political opponents and people who vote against him.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but then we've been through this before, with Obama... who kept Guantanamo open, bombed Libya to pieces, expanded fracking and fossil fuel production, separated families at border, oversaw a mass spying regime that he vindictively hunted down whistleblowers for, slashed social security while giving billions to the banks, gave full support to Gates assault on teacher unions in favour of charter schools, expanded nuclear weapons programmes...

But hey that doesn't hurt Obama's rep among the people liking social media videos of him hitting balls in basketball hoops and subscribing to his annual Spotify playlist of the year's best hits so what do I know right?

For centrist liberals to read the above and then say you're a secret Trump supporter! rather than actually responding to a reasonable far-left criticism of how much they keep fucking up year after year is utterly tiresome - and will lead to the rise of more fascists like Trump.

Yup, Obama surrounded himself with people like Rahm Emannuel, it's possible to both not like and criticize Biden and hate Trump, the two goals are not incongruent and it isn't voter suppression or whatever to talk about it on twitter on election day.

Oct 25, 2017
While possible I find it highly inprobable

You don't tear the house down like Trump has and rebuild it exactly the same

Shit has changed in the past 15 years
I would hope so but Biden hasn't given anybody much hope on that front. It looks like he wants to be an Obama part 2, which is okay, but look at what happened after Obama to see what's wrong with that.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is raging that no one gave a shit about the Hunter Biden stuff that he quit his job over.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, voting and electing Biden is the first step. The idea of voting, electing Biden and forgetting about the bigger scope is stupid and I seriously hope no one is saying that, electing Biden is the beginning of a more involved population, with a President that might be able to put things back on track.

Seems obvious right?

And him laying a larger share of the blame for America's problems on the Democrats instead of.... American culture as a whole

Is fucking asinine and unproductive

They ain't saints but Democrats are the closest thing we have trying to reverse any of his grievances. Like how does supporting any alternatives by comparison alter his stance?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
"But *bunch of stuff Bush set in motion that Obama had to handle like a hot poker*" isn't the defense of "both sides" that Glenn thinks it is. Nor would anyone with beyond a casual reading of American politics pretend that the Obama admin wasn't hamstrung, intentionally, by an obstructionist GOP Congress after 2010.

If the sum total of the Trump presidency for Glenn is that the two men treated American institutions exactly the same than he's a bigger fool than I thought.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, voting and electing Biden is the first step. The idea of voting, electing Biden and forgetting about the bigger scope is stupid and I seriously hope no one is saying that, electing Biden is the beginning of a more involved population, with a President that might be able to put things back on track.
Biden is/was basically running on "back to normalcy".
Sadly, a large majority off the Dem. base is/was content with the status quo before Trump.

Glenn is not wrong on that.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
For all the "what's wrong with these tweets?" crowd, Glenn is now saying out loud what has been clear for a while: his main goal is disseminating the notion that the Democratic Party is terrible and he obviously doesn't give a shit about anything else other than that, even if it means aiding Trump. It's why he was so dismissive of "russiagate", it's why he hasn't done jack shit to unfuck the life of Reality Winner, he has absolutely zero interest in matters that aren't directly related to exposing how bad Democrats are. He'll openly reverberate alt-right talking points and pal around with Tucker Carlson as long as it amplifies his anti-Democrat message.

This is true as well.

There might not be anything wrong with the tweets- but hes acting in bad faith.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Seems obvious right?

And him laying a larger share of the blame for America's problems on the Democrats instead of.... American culture as a whole

Is fucking asinine and unproductive

They ain't saints but Democrats are the closest thing we have trying to reverse any of his grievances. Like how does supporting any alternatives by comparison alter his stance?
Oh yeah, completely agree with you there. Dude's stating the obvious here and while I agree to some degree regarding the status quo, putting the whole thing on Democrats is, as you put it, asinine.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yes, but then we've been through this before, with Obama... who kept Guantanamo open, bombed Libya to pieces, expanded fracking and fossil fuel production, separated families at border, oversaw a mass spying regime that he vindictively hunted down whistleblowers for, slashed social security while giving billions to the banks, gave full support to Gates assault on teacher unions in favour of charter schools, expanded nuclear weapons programmes...

But hey that doesn't hurt Obama's rep among the people liking social media videos of him hitting balls in basketball hoops and subscribing to his annual Spotify playlist of the year's best hits so what do I know right?

For centrist liberals to read the above and then say you're a secret Trump supporter! rather than actually responding to a reasonable far-left criticism of how much they keep fucking up year after year is utterly tiresome - and will lead to the rise of more fascists like Trump.

I voted for Obama both times and Biden this time and I detect no lies. Trump sucks and is awful, but Obama is at best a mid-level President in total rankings. He had some good things, for sure, but also some pretty awful things, whether they were by the design of his Administration or by extending prior Administrations' bad policies.

With that said, of course I'd take Biden over Trump. I also suspect that we'll see Biden's Presidency similar to Obama's: some good advances, some things staying the same, and regression in other areas. I'm hopeful that Democrats slowly inching into more progressive policies will save the Biden Presidency from the same failures that Obama's gave us. And, of course, this is all assuming Biden wins. If Trump wins it's definitely a worse situation overall.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So trump was really bad but not that bad.

All of this to rationalize support for a journalist who supports Trump.

Trump who right now is arguing political violence against his political opponents and people who vote against him.

I am sorry that you are unable to comprehend what I wrote. I hope that you can understand that as a middle eastern immigrant, going back to pre-trump america is not a notion that is safe and happy for me. Every single post I've made here I have clearly qualified that Trump is worse in many ways. But the "before" state wasn't good either. That doesn't mean Trump "isn't that bad". Two opposite things can be bad at the same time, and very bad can get even worse. But I understand that for you it must have been a very comfortable life before trump and you yearn to go back to it.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
For all the "what's wrong with these tweets?" crowd, Glenn is now saying out loud what has been clear for a while: his main goal is disseminating the notion that the Democratic Party is terrible and he obviously doesn't give a shit about anything else other than that, even if it means aiding Trump. It's why he was so dismissive of "russiagate", it's why he hasn't done jack shit to unfuck the life of Reality Winner, he has absolutely zero interest in matters that aren't directly related to exposing how bad Democrats are. He'll openly reverberate alt-right talking points and pal around with Tucker Carlson as long as it amplifies his anti-Democrat message.
They are terrible, the Republicans are just way worse.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Can we all agree to just ignore GG? He's just a tiresome, obsessively contrarian bore, who's becoming more red-brown and fash adjacent by the day in his quest to seek attention.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017

That last tweet is key.

Where's the lie? Trump couldn't match Bush's body count in his wildest dreams. People around here have short memories.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's normalizing Trump. Pretty much defending him really.

All this is to encourage people to either vote Trump or stay home.

There has been plenty abnormal and to pretend Trump is just different because he tweets and talks quirky.

He's not comparing Trump to Bush, he's comparing Trumo favorably to Bush.

I must be misreading the tweets. Because this:

is a perspective that much of the left would agree with, and it's not normalizing Trump. I've posted this exact same sentiment myself. The election of Obama killed the anti-authoritarian and anti-corporate movements in the US and war crimes became normalized. I'm very concerned about that happening again after the 2020 election.

That last tweet is key.

Greenwald prioritizes foreign policy, issues of the surveillance state and so on. From a that standpoint, Bush was a worse president than Trump. From a domestic standpoint, Trump has been a worse president. I disagree that liberals are more justified going after Bush, I think on the whole both of these Republican presidents should be in prison for what they did while in office. Bush for his war crimes, and Trump for corruption and jailing/sterilizing immigrant women and children.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
"But *bunch of stuff Bush set in motion that Obama had to handle like a hot poker*" isn't the defense of "both sides" that Glenn thinks it is. Nor would anyone with beyond a casual reading of American politics pretend that the Obama admin wasn't hamstrung, intentionally, by an obstructionist GOP Congress after 2010.

If the sum total of the Trump presidency for Glenn is that the two men treated American institutions exactly the same than he's a bigger fool than I thought.

I appreciate this framing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Biden is/was basically running on "back to normalcy".
Sadly, a large majority off the Dem. base is/was content with the status quo before Trump.

Glenn is not wrong on that.

I believe his Slogan right now is "Build Back Better"

And he is a guaranteed one term president and every inclination by the majority of the party has been to promote and hand the reigns to a younger and more active generation?

Did every one conveniently forget how hard Obama has been pushing more people to get more actively involved while Republicans focus solely on supression?

Hold them accountable for their mistakes and hell hold Americans to account for our sins. But Glenn is missing the mark here

Oct 27, 2017
This is who he's always been. Dude is so bitter about the the US he's willing to watch it all burn just for revenge.

Just stop giving him attention.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Also nice of folks that agree with Glenn meaning they agree that Trump has not done anything that bad comparatively to anything else.

As over 200 thousand people are dead because of how terribly this administration has dealt with Covid.

But it seems your innate hatred of Biden has let folks forget what Trump has actually done or not done within this very year.

Seems like this isn't just masks off for Glenn, its masks off for this Forum.

How many died in Iraq?

Glenn sucks, but this isn't controversial.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Broken clock is right twice a day. Even if his whole point is probably just to discredit Democrats and normalize Trumps's behavior.

This election's momentum can't just stop if Biden wins. We need real progress.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
They are terrible, the Republicans are just way worse.
And if you devote your life and work solely to the "Democrats are terrible" part you have to excuse me if I'm not really buying you believe "the Republicans are way worse" because 95% of the time he leaves that part unsaid. I mean, dude was really out there writing a column about completely unverified information propagated by Rudy Giuliani days from the election after spending four years mocking people for believing "russiagate". He's a Trump enabler in the most charitable of interpretations.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
He's comparing him to atrocities the US has done before, especially under other Republicans. I don't see how he's incorrect here.
If we want to cherry pick and focus on atrocities, yes every American presidency has its share. But to assign Trump just 'some tweets' or personality issues is a gross reduction of the democratic norms that have been shattered because of this man. The DOJ is basically his personal law firm, he denies science, literally cozies up to dictators around the world while actively fighting against our allies, undermined basic democratic processes here like elections, has genuinely embraced white supremacy out in the open and puts people's lives in danger through his words. For God's sake, we have businesses being boarded up and the White House converted into a fortress. We're genuinely on the cusp of sliding into an authoritarian regime.

None of this has happened before. None of this is "normal".

It's completely asinine and incredibly irresponsible to compare this presidency in totality to what's come before in modern American history.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
[
Greenwald prioritizes foreign policy, issues of the surveillance state and so on. From a that standpoint, Bush was a worse president than Trump. From a domestic standpoint, Trump has been a worse president. I disagree that liberals are more justified going after Bush, I think as a whole both of these Republican presidents should be in prison. Bush for his war crimes, and Trump for corruption and jailing/sterilizing immigrant women and children.

Glenn Greenwald doesn't think Trump should go to prison though, Greenwald thinks Trump should get a 2nd term because Biden is the true authoritarian threat.

That's really what he'd saying here

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the best example of how you can kinda be right to a degree, but kinda ruin it by being so bad faith in the way you represent things. Like Bernie Sanders is saying something substantially similar, but not being super bad faith about it.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Other than some tweets and unusual personality affects, there's been nothing "abnormal" about the Trump presidency compared to what came before it, and no matter who wins

How can he look at the last 3 years and say this presidency was normal.

These are things that happened just this year.

A war with Iran almost happened
A literal pandemic in the United States where the government not only tried to ignore it that actively stole PPE from states to resell at a higher price.
Massive civil unrest and riots that left cities on fire and the president going out of his way to stock the flames
Rise of QANON (arguably the most dangerous) and right wing extremist.

If you can look at all of that and say both sides are the same you are the fucking problem.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Day of election. Get the 2 bit dictator out.

Also the only people comparing Obama to a dictator were those Tea Baggers, Pre-Magats. Guess Tea Baggers gonna make a comeback full force. "Oh no look at Biden the dictator." Gimme a break.

TheBiggerBum

Banned
Oct 16, 2020
And if you devote your life and work solely to the "Democrats are terrible" part you have to excuse me if I'm not really buying you believe "the Republicans are way worse" because 95% of the time he leaves that part unsaid.

If you're talking about discussion on here - I think it's entirely fair for someone to spend all their time criticising Democrats and less Republicans, because there aren't any Republicans here to argue with. It adds nothing to the discussion to talk at length about how evil they are because that's already a foregone conclusion.

The fact that people on here can't just take someone at face value on their position is utterly tiresome and irritating.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
If we want to cherry pick and focus on atrocities, yes every American presidency has its share. But to assign Trump just 'some tweets' or personality issues is a gross reduction of the democratic norms that have been shattered because of this man. The DOJ is basically his personal law firm, he denies science, literally cozies up to dictators around the world while actively fighting against our allies, has genuinely embraced white supremacy out in the open and puts people's lives in danger through his words. For God's sake, we have businesses being boarded up and the White House converted into a fortress. We're genuinely on the cusp of sliding into an authoritarian regime.

None of this has happened before. None of this is "normal".

It's completely asinine to compare this presidency in totality to what's come before in modern American history.
Patriot act is an order of magnitude worse than anything Trump has done. Hell 90% of the shit he pulled was only possible because of it.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Ermm...

"Other than some tweets and unusual personality affects, there's been nothing "abnormal" about the Trump presidency compared to what came before it"

This is complete bullshit.
Compared to bush? Not really. In some ways it could be argued Bush was worse, even. Trump took everything bad about America and made it worse. Bush destabilized the Middle East, and created much of the turmoil we are still dealing w today. Trump put kids in cages. Tho Bush created ICE...

no doubt Trump could have been worse, but his incompetence stopped him. Bush didn't have that problem.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
If you're talking about discussion on here - I think it's entirely fair for someone to spend all their time criticising Democrats and less Republicans, because there aren't any Republicans here to argue with. It adds nothing to the discussion to talk at length about how evil they are because that's already a foregone conclusion.

The fact that people on here can't just take someone at face value on their position is utterly tiresome and irritating.
I'm talking about Glenn Greenwald and his life's work, not about posters on ResetEra. I'm taking Glenn Greenwald 100% face value on his position that the Democratic Party is the true evil America needs to vanquish. Because that's what he believes.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the best example of how you can kinda be right to a degree, but kinda ruin it by being so bad faith in the way you represent things. Like Bernie Sanders is saying something substantially similar, but not being super bad faith about it.
I'm not sure if it's bad faith I just think he's being a prick with his framing and tone but parsing through that I don't think he's wrong lol

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
The broad strokes of what Greenwald is saying is accurate, which is that the fundamental policies Trump pushed are typical Republican bullshit, but packaged and delivered through a loud, boorish dipshit with an extra dysfunctional administration. That's why you ultimately got so many Republicans with so little backbone these past four years. He was still ultimately doing the things they wanted him to do, despite his bullshit "outsider" status from the onset.

Greenwald's an idiot though and in typical fashion downplays how damaging the rampant and overt racism/xenophobia is going to have on this country long term.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Patriot act is an order of magnitude worse than anything Trump has done. Hell 90% of the shit he pulled was only possible because of it.
So you think if Bush were running right now for example, we'd be in this same exact situation? Or if one of the other Republican candidates in 2016 won? Romney?

Status
Not open for further replies.