• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wackotic

Aug 14, 2018
I don't really understand the dorky comments. The frame is what determines the overall look and I feel like the currently fashionable, thick and rounded rims would work well as both sunglasses and normal glasses. Of course if your preferred sunglasses look is stereotypical Oakleys or aviators then I can see why you wouldn't want them.

Personally i do not have transition lenses because I love my Aviators with prescription, but i could look into them just for convenience.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I dreamed of having these glasses in the late 80s after seeing my friends pair change when he went out in the sun.

But even he hated them after a few months.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I had them for a time. Completely useless

If you wanna protect your eyes from the sun get actual sunglasses

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I wear transitions, they're great. I used to have a separate pair of sunglasses, but they were always being forgotten or lost or on/off a hundred times when walking in and out of shops or etc. etc. etc. so much of a pain. People complaining about it always being "kind of grey" are thinking about old technology, transitions sucked hard 10 years ago (and even worse before that), you can't even tell I'm wearing transitions until I go out in the sun (and neither can I).

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I got them for the first time last year since I've never had a pair before. After a year with them, they're fine. While I would suggest prescription sunglasses, I hate carrying around a second pair on my person. It's bad enough I have a second pair of glasses for work use, but they stay at work. The only issue I have with transitions is that they don't work in a car, so you'll either want a clip-on, or a separate pair of sunglasses anyway. This is also the first time I've heard them considered dorky or old person-like, so who knows.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I have a pair! No complaints really, they get dark very quickly. Right now I'm not able to afford multiple pairs of glasses so it was the best option for me.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I wear Transitions and think they're pretty handy. Didn't like the fact that they don't don't darken behind the windshield though. Recently I asked the optician to give me the "extra active" ones (they supposedly darken behind the windshield; as such though, in their default state, they're darker than the lower-level Transitions). But, after trying the extra actives, I thought they sucked. I found performance behind the windshield to be not good. Went back to the standard Transitions. And then I got script sunglasses :(.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I have them and like them. I'm a lame 35 year old tho so ymmv. I will say the lenses only stay in Sunglasses mode for like 2-3 min indoors and they get really dark now outside, a vast improvement over when they first debuted. It's really convenient, except for situations where you WANT to be wearing normal glasses outdoors. RIP my wedding photos.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of love mine. You just have to be really careful about what frame you pick. You'll want a frame that looks good on your face, and looks good transitioned.

They're also much faster than they used to be.

If you can't afford two pairs so one is dedicated sunglasses, or you aren't able carry both around, it's a great compromise.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of love mine. You just have to be really careful about what frame you pick. You'll want a frame that looks good on your face, and looks good transitioned.

They're also much faster than they used to be.

If you can't afford two pairs so one is dedicated sunglasses, or you aren't able carry both around, it's a great compromise.

Yep, they're perfectly fine, they're fast, and they look completely clear when not in the sun. I have a pair of business looking Oakley frames and they look great with them.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I've had them for two years now and I have no issues with them. They look good with my frames (Oakley) and they are fast when it comes to the transition.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate them and think they were for dorks and olds, but I've kind of come around to them some. But that could be because I'm getting older and dorkier. But I really do think the technology has improved a lot. One of my co-workers wears them, and they seem like they get darker these days and transition faster.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This thread makes me think I'm on crazy pills.... Transition lens are awesome. The only problem is they don't work while driving so I need a clip or to use dedicated sunglasses (didn't used to be a major problem since I worked at night).

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried them out for a day or two and hated them. Not only did they take too long to not be shaded indoors, but they always seemed to be at least slightly shaded, so colors always felt a bit dimmed.

Krauser Kat

Oct 27, 2017
transition lens are suuuuper fucking lame.

With zenni and warby around prescription sunglasses are very cheap and cooler looking to buy a separate pair or just wear contacts in the summer.

taahahmed

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
United States
This thread makes me think I'm on crazy pills.... Transition lens are awesome. The only problem is they don't work while driving so I need a clip or to use dedicated sunglasses (didn't used to be a major problem since I worked at night).

Same...I've been using transition lenses for years and had zero problems... I've never had anyone shit talk about them either.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had them, but I didn't like how they weren't completely clear indoors. Outdoors they were exactly as advertised, but indoors it was like there was a permanent 3-5% opacity shade filter over everything.

OP
OP
Vanillalite

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm married with multiple kids. So I'm already in the dad zone in terms of looks. LoL

I'm more worried about them peeling or scratching easier like some other posters said. Plus I've heard mixed reviews when driving.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I'm married with multiple kids. So I'm already in the dad zone in terms of looks. LoL

I'm more worried about them peeling or scratching easier like some other posters said. Plus I've heard mixed reviews when driving.

They dont work for driving due to the UV Rays not going through the windshield. However the new transitions are completely clear when not being used, look perfectly fine and very fast.

If you drive a lot, you'll need to just get prescription sunglasses.

Davilmar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a pair. They work fine for Florida, but they aren't as good as sunglasses. Not sure what people are talking about regarding transition time, since it takes about 30 seconds. They don't look bad on me either. I almost always get them.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
They don't work while driving unfortunately and sometimes they don't adjust back to dimmer light conditions as fast as I'd like but I'd still recommend them. I have very light-sensitive eyes so they're way more handy than having to clip on some sunglasses every single time I go outside.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I had them for a few years and didn't really like them

- They were expensive
- They didn't work in a car
- Transitioning to tinted lenses was fine, but the transition back would sometimes leave me almost blind if it was a really sunny day
- I'd look like a dweeb wearing sunglasses indoors because it would take awhile to go back to normal
- They were bad with snow
- Walking in tunnels was terrible due to the rapid transition between extreme light and extreme dark
- Towards the end of their life they stopped working that well

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm light sensitive as fuck, but I haven't tried transitions lenses. I just have the regular blue light filter.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I got a nice pair. I hate them. I had to get special frames and they are too heavy and are uncomfortable.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
As an optician I agree they're very unstylish, especially for young people. No one will have the guts to tell you once you're wearing them, so don't worry about being publicly humiliated. Pick a rimless frame while you're at it.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I had them on my 2nd to last pair, I would say it's like a 6/10 on usability. Walking outside is fine with them, but for driving it's practically worthless. I also hated walking into a building and bring unable to see anything for like 45s because of the transition.

I swapped to a second pair of sunglasses with my last pair and it was the best decision I ever made. My normal glasses don't get as dirty since I only use them indoors, and I get something that complements my outerwear more.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Tried them for a while. Not a fan. As other have noted, they worked inconsistently and took a long time to transition back when moving indoors. There are a lot of photos from that era of me apparently wearing sunglasses indoors.