• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty cool of them, hopefully it will be of benefit. It's definitely a dark part of Scotland's history that is ignored too often.

The University of Glasgow has agreed to spend £20m in reparations after finding out it benefited by tens of millions of pounds from the slave trade.

Glasgow is believed to be the first institution in the UK to implement such a scheme.

The money will be raised and spent over the next 20 years on setting up and running the Glasgow-Caribbean Centre for Development Research.

It will be managed in partnership with the University of the West Indies.

The centre, to be co-located in Glasgow and the Caribbean, will sponsor research work and raise awareness of the history of slavery and its impact around the world.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing, I never would have expected this at all. My experience with Scottish people continues to be great.

It's the English that really need to be taking the center stage here. They're answerable to the Caribbean, Africa and what is now Pakistan/India.

Oct 29, 2017
This is amazing, I never would have expected this at all. My experience with Scottish people continues to be great.

It's the English that really need to be taking the center stage here. They're answerable to the Caribbean, Africa and what is now Pakistan/India.
I agree that the English are cunts but it was the British Empire, not the English Empire. All parties are culpable.

This news is fantastic though, need to see it happening more.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see them do the right thing here, face it head on and put their money where their mouths are. As someone who studied at Glasgow Uni, I sure don't want to feel shitty for getting the filtered down benefit of this stuff, so this is good.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that the English are cunts but it was the British Empire, not the English Empire. All parties are culpable.

This news is fantastic though, need to see it happening more.

I agree, it is redundant to be asking for reparations from what is essentially a completely different generation of people. Still, the aftermath of what they did are still being felt (Kashmir Conflict).

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The street I live in was built by some of the Glasgow cotton barons, it's great to see Glasgow Uni acknowledge this sordid part of our history.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
"Author and academic Joanna Williams said: "For me, the number one problem with this is that it suggests people who are alive today bear some historical responsibility for what their ancestors did in the past.

"[These were] truly barbaric and criminal acts, but to suggest that people alive today are responsible for the sins of their ancestors is a step too far."

She added: "It also suggests that other people who are alive today are victims of what happened to their ancestors. There comes a point we all need to move on from that and say that the past is the past.""

Oh great, why don't we hear the thoughts of a transphobe and someone against the me too movement what she thinks of this?
The BBC is fucking awful these days jeez.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Author and academic Joanna Williams said: "For me, the number one problem with this is that it suggests people who are alive today bear some historical responsibility for what their ancestors did in the past.

"[These were] truly barbaric and criminal acts, but to suggest that people alive today are responsible for the sins of their ancestors is a step too far."
Hope she's not an historian, sheesh.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Good on them. Scotland's role in the slave trade isn't even taught in schools here and that is embarrassing. A lot of the most iconic parts of Glasgow were built from profits made on slaves and most people don't even know.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
User warned: Inappropriate language.
She added: "It also suggests that other people who are alive today are victims of what happened to their ancestors. There comes a point we all need to move on from that and say that the past is the past."

Yeah! Try and tell the people who face daily discrimination and racist abuse to 'just move on'.

Fucking retard.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'
She's correct. That doesn't mean that Glasgow University shouldn't pay reparations.
I mean, sure, she is technically correct on the note that people today don't literally bear personal, inter-generational responsibility but is that really all you want to bring to the conversation? Her following passage is worse.

"It also suggests that other people who are alive today are victims of what happened to their ancestors. There comes a point we all need to move on from that and say that the past is the past."

It's such a disingeneous way of framing the discussion and it's tiresome to hear the same trite from white Europeans that 'the past is the past.' I don't even want to give it more thought to be honest and I'm glad the conversation gradually moved/is moving elsewhere in the country I live in.

Deleted member 40797

Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I mean, sure, she is technically correct on the note that people today don't literally bear personal, inter-generational responsibility but is that really all you want to bring to the conversation? Her following passage is worse.

"It also suggests that other people who are alive today are victims of what happened to their ancestors. There comes a point we all need to move on from that and say that the past is the past."

It's such a disingeneous way of framing the discussion and it's tiresome to hear the same trite from white Europeans that 'the past is the past.' I don't even want to give it more thought to be honest and I'm glad the conversation gradually moved/is moving elsewhere in the country I live in.

Right. People don't bear responsibility for their ancestors sins, but people are affected by those sins. We have an obligation to correct those inequaities.

Mar 22, 2019
As someone who studied at University of Glasgow for both my mathematics honor's bachelor degree and my masters in finance...this makes me so happy and proud to have spent nearly 7 years there!

Yes the slave trade isn't humanities proudest moment and no I didn't realise UG benefits from it but this could be the first Domino in a very long line.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right. People don't bear responsibility for their ancestors sins, but people are affected by those sins. We have an obligation to correct those inequaities.
It'd be great if she made that distinction and I don't doubt that she's unaware of it but simply knows her audience. This goes back to my original point - an historian shouldn't be dismissing the relationship between the past and present so callously. It's kind of integral to the discipline really.

OP
OP
TechnicPuppet

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with what most have said here. We can't whitewash this shit or we are no better than Boris, Trump and their pals.

We should also tackle the continuing anti-Irish/Catholic embarrassment that makes it socially acceptable to be in and support the orange order, our own sordid version of the KKK.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Glasgow was built on the slave trade and tobacco unfortunately. It's why we have Jamaica Street, Tobago Street and Antigua Street etc, a number of the churches likes St Andrews in the Square were basically the 'Tobacco Lords' showing off their wealth. The Merchant City was another example.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I salute them for trying to right the wrongs of the past. It's the only true way to start to heal and move forward

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it is redundant to be asking for reparations from what is essentially a completely different generation of people. Still, the aftermath of what they did are still being felt (Kashmir Conflict).
I think you might be a little confused. Britain and England aren't synonymous; Britain is union of countries that includes England.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Fantastic move.
Still sad they're still on the hook for leaving the EU, they will be missed if it happens.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Glasgow in the house!

Good on them. Scotland's role in the slave trade isn't even taught in schools here and that is embarrassing. A lot of the most iconic parts of Glasgow were built from profits made on slaves and most people don't even know.

Basically this.

And don't get me started on Rabbie Burns and his 'investments'.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more than a bit curious about the "raise and spend" statement. Who are they actually asking to pay for the reparations if they aren't planning to spend any pre-existing wealth?