• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
32nd annual GLAAD awards of media that recognizes LGBTQ representation and issues.

www.glaad.org

GLAAD Announces Nominees for the 32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards | GLAAD

Today, GLAAD announced the nominees for the 32nd Annual GLAAD Media Awards. Actress Josie Totah (Peacock’s Saved By The Bell), actor and performer D.J. 'Shangela' Pierce (HBO’s We’re Here), and actor Jonathan Bennett (The Hallmark Channel’s The Christmas House) announced the nominees via...

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
Borderlands 3: Guns, Love, and Tentacles (2K Games)
Bugsnax (Young Horses)
Hades (Supergiant Games)
If Found… (Annapurna Interactive)
Ikenfell (Humble Games)
Immortals Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft)
The Last of Us Part II (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
Tell Me Why (Xbox Game Studios)
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands (Blizzard Entertainment)

FaultLineBlues

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2020
I haven't played quite a few of the games on the list, but in terms of LGBTQ+ rep, Tell Me Why really stuck out to me during my playthrough, and I can't praise the game enough. I was a really big fan.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hades is amazing and i love what Bugsnax did and all that but i will RIOT if "Tell Me Why" or "If Found" don't win

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Out of all of those, Tell Me Why does the best job for sure. I've heard If Found... is great when it comes to it as well.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly shocked that GLAAD didn't include VIIR.

The queer energy in chapter 9 between both both Andrea Rhodea and Jules not to mention the absolutely wonderful moment of the Front Desk clerk offering Cloud either a boy or a girl was such a great way to include some world building/acceptance of queer folk.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Really good list from a really good year. The fact there are other games I can think of that aren't on this list, like Ghost of Tsushima, shows how big of strides we've made for queer content in video games. Makes me really happy.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
If found was great, really innovative game even without the praise for the LGBTI stuff.

I get that Tell Me Why is Important but the story was mostly boring and the last episode cant save it. Also, i dont think I will handle next dontnot game if it has this stiff animations, movement and gameplay. I felt like playing some of the telltale games back in the day.. like travellimg in time 10 years prior in terms of gameplay and some technical aspects.

So it would be either TloU 2 or If Found for me, but I guess Tell Me Why is gonna win.

Also Ikenfell was great with its characters. Hoping for a sequel

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It probably won't win, but I'm happy to see Bugsnax get some recognition here. Chandlo was easily my favorite character, with a very touching storyline

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Bugsnax is the best IMO but I haven't played Tell Me Why yet.

Nearly every character in Bugsnax is LGBTQ+ and written in such a great way

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Tell Me Why so can't speak as to who should "win", but that there are so many nominees is heartening.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really surprised that THPS 1+2 didn't get a nom since they added Leo Baker to the roster of skaters, the first instance of a real world non binary person featuring in a game (well, from my recollection at least).
James Stephanie Sterling (in their Jimquistion Persona) has actually appeared in several games over the last decade so they may well be the first technically.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great list of games

i don't expect hades to win, but i think the game handled zagreus's bisexuality very well.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
havent played shadowlands, can anyone tell me what has it done to be listed as nominee?

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Ikenfell has possibly the biggest range of representation up there (gay, bisexual, asexual, and different variations of nonbinary characters) - really glad to see it nominated.
Tell Me Why is very deserving too.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Tell Me Why did something great:

"DONTNOD's Tell Me Why update adds voiceover for French, German, Spanish (Latin America) & Portuguese (Brazil). All voice actors for Tyler are trans. "

www.resetera.com

DONTNOD's Tell Me Why update adds voiceover for French, German, Spanish (Latin America) & Portuguese (Brazil). All voice actors for Tyler are trans.

https://twitter.com/TellMeWhyGame/status/1322214236827930624 https://twitter.com/TellMeWhyGame/status/1322228097270370306 Cool to see the game still receiving support. And that they kept their promise of casting trans voice actors :)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
havent played shadowlands, can anyone tell me what has it done to be listed as nominee?

I haven't played a ton of Shadowlands (only finished the main storyline), but this comes to mind. So putting in the game's first trans story character, as well as making your character's sex freely changeable (which is something basically every other MMO makes you pay for, as did WoW before Shadowlands).

Which isn't as much as the other nominees, but it's probably notable given how huge WoW is.

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played a ton of Shadowlands (only finished the main storyline), but this comes to mind. So putting in the game's first trans story character, as well as making your character's gender freely changeable (which is something basically every other MMO makes you pay for, as did WoW before Shadowlands).

Which isn't as much as the other nominees, but it's probably notable given how huge WoW is.

I see. It is in fact big considering the reach of the game so i'm happy they did it. Thamks for explaining!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea our favourite Trash Girl from the Gender Dumpster appeared in an actual game <3

Still, THPS1+2 still should have been nominated.
The more NB folks in games and the games getting recognition for it? I'm all about it.

So while I haven't played the game/s i don't doubt they absolutely should be nominated as well.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It won't win because some of the other titles on this list tackle the topic more directly, but Bugsnax being on here is awesome. Chandlo and Snorpy were the bestest buds in every way.

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
Guess I'll go against the grain a bit and say that this list reflects what some queer people dislike about GLAAD and other big LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, namely that their politics are pretty safe and assimilationist. I mean, don't get me wrong it's great to see titles like If Found... and Ikenfell represented, but pitching games actually made and written by queer people against AAA productions that get acknowledged for simply managing to be inoffensive is disappointing. Why is Assassin's Creed taking up space that could have been used to highlight another project from an all queer/majority queer team?

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Guess I'll go against the grain a bit and say that this list reflects what some queer people dislike about GLAAD and other big LGBTQ+ advocacy groups, namely that their politics are pretty safe and assimilationist. I mean, don't get me wrong it's great to see titles like If Found... and Ikenfell represented, but pitching games actually made and written by queer people against AAA productions that get acknowledged for simply managing to be inoffensive is disappointing. Why is Assassin's Creed taking up space that could have been used to highlight another project from an all queer/majority queer team?

Yeah, giving games by big companies like Ubisoft or Naughty Dog a shoutout after all the harm they have caused their employees kinda really fucking sucks.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

I have similar feelings. As soon as I saw Ubisoft first on that list I rather much rolled my eyes. Glad to see some of the other games on there, though.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Tell Me Why did something great:

"DONTNOD's Tell Me Why update adds voiceover for French, German, Spanish (Latin America) & Portuguese (Brazil). All voice actors for Tyler are trans. "

www.resetera.com

DONTNOD's Tell Me Why update adds voiceover for French, German, Spanish (Latin America) & Portuguese (Brazil). All voice actors for Tyler are trans.

https://twitter.com/TellMeWhyGame/status/1322214236827930624 https://twitter.com/TellMeWhyGame/status/1322228097270370306 Cool to see the game still receiving support. And that they kept their promise of casting trans voice actors :)
This is awesome!

As a gay myself I'm gonna have to check some of these out in more detail

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Rooting for Tell Me Why and If Found. Though Hades definitely wouldn't disappoint either, it's my GOTY afterall. Yet I feel that LGBTQ themes are more integral to Tell Me Why and If Found, so I'd love to see them recognized here. Hades kinda already has the spotlight too.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Ikenfell and Bugsnax were both really good, appreciated the casual and diverse representation in Ikenfell, but I think one of the games more about LGBTQ+ identity might be a better fit for winner, probably If found... or Tell me why.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Bugsnax was such a wonderful surprise. I had no idea going in it would be so inclusive and lovely

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly shocked that GLAAD didn't include VIIR.

The queer energy in chapter 9 between both both Andrea Rhodea and Jules not to mention the absolutely wonderful moment of the Front Desk clerk offering Cloud either a boy or a girl was such a great way to include some world building/acceptance of queer folk.
While your sentiment is kind, I feel like games should be acknowledged for characters who are explicitly queer, not implicit or queer-coded. FF7R's treatment of queerness isn't harmful, and is even positive at some times, but it's still hardly present in the game.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but it is hard currently to find a studio with LBGTQ+ employees in the creative seat who are also making games for the LGBTQ+ audience.

The next Call of Duty could have a gay writer but you ain't gonna see it in the game itself.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While your sentiment is kind, I feel like games should be acknowledged for characters who are explicitly queer, not implicit or queer-coded. FF7R's treatment of queerness isn't harmful, and is even positive at some times, but it's still hardly present in the game.
I disagree.

It's important to build a world that is accepting of Gays and Queer folk, that they are there and accepted.

Having it be a requirement that a primary character has to be gay and not acknowledging a world that welcomes queers is frankly stupid IMO.

The simple fact is VIIR made me feel like Square was saying that Gays are welcome here, that they are just as valid and we want them to know that even if this is not a story implicitly about sexuality.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Tell Me Why. Because I love that game, and for my friend, who is FtM, and for his sheer joy at getting to play a game that is willing to do what's necessary for proper representation. More realistic trans characters in videogames please!

I have not played If Found, but hearing positive impressions from several people here I have added the game next on my to-play list, so after I finish Ghost of Tsushima and Hardland.

Last edited:

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
Fuck GLAAD but Tell Me Why will probably get the win since they were consulted on the game.

Not that I have an issue with Tell Me Why potentially winning, I just don't like GLAAD.

EPuPNJoVUAAxDan

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I disagree.

It's important to build a world that is accepting of Gays and Queer folk, that they are there and accepted.

Having it be a requirement that a primary character has to be gay and not acknowledging a world that welcomes queers is frankly stupid IMO.

The simple fact is VIIR made me feel like Square was saying that Gays are welcome here, that they are just as valid and we want them to know that even if this is not a story implicitly about sexuality.
Hmm, I get where you are coming from but I can't agree with this myself. While I liked Andrea a lot in the game, he is not explicitly queer, only highly queer-coded. Having characters only be coded queer has been a sort of plausible deniability for media to hide behind while depicting queer people. I don't think it need to be main characters (though that has a danger of a too low bar) or be a story about queerness, but I think there needs to be some level of explicitness and examination. Not relying on coding by use of tropes.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree.

I did not say "a primary character". I referred to any character. However, there are no explicitly queer characters in FF7R, and I feel that it's important to both show and tell during a fledgling time in queer representation. When your media is based entirely around the queer identity, implication is entirely valid. When it's a game about eco-terrorists taking the fight to a fascistic energy corporation, especially in a genre known for strongly (often harmfully) queer-coded villains, I would like for open and positive depictions of queerness.
Hmm, I get where you are coming from but I can't agree with this myself. While I liked Andrea a lot in the game, he is not explicitly queer, only highly queer-coded. Having characters only be coded queer has been a sort of plausible deniability for media to hide behind while depicting queer people. I don't think it need to be main characters (though that has a danger of a too low bar) or be a story about queerness, but I think there needs to be some level of explicitness and examination. Not relying on coding by use of tropes.
Precisely this. We don't live in a world where characters in media that's not about queerness can always be queer-coded and viewed by the audience as being queer. Moreover, not every queer person acts like a queer-coded character. I like Andrea a lot, but that's not the kind of queer person I am. My identity can't be reduced to a masculine person who dresses in femme clothing, behaves flamboyantly, or wears a ton of makeup, because that's not all that queer identity is, and it's all of what FF7R's queer-coding is.

To me, it's not enough to just make a character "look gay", because what is "looking gay" if not a constant in the pop cultural zeitgeist that was, for decades, an incredibly harmful stereotype of queer men? That can so easily be treated as a joke as it can be a supportive element of queerness, which is why making it explicit and positive is really important, especially when (as I've said previously) your game isn't centered around an exploration of queerness. We're not at the point culturally where implicit queerness isn't going to be written off as a joke, or a denial of queerness entirely.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There is absolutely direct queer representation though.

The moment that young man asks Cloud if he would like a honey Boy or Honey girl it's explicitly showing and expressing Bisexuality.

It also directly deals with Trans issues when Rodea explicitly tells cloud that beauty and gender are NOT tied to how Cloud was born, that gender doesn't definite beauty in the least.

Another way it expresses this is by no one even calling into question the depth of Cloud's voice, something that I as a Trans person wished I was treated that way in life. So even if you disagree it should be Included it is factually wrong that it doesn't directly touch on LBGT themes.

Not to mention Aerith tells Tifa it's a date and it's exactly the same as she does with both Zack and Cloud before her.

Heteronormativity is awful and using it in reverse and saying something that explicitly handles gay imagery and saying it's not good enough is just weird?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
There is absolutely direct queer representation though.

The moment that young man asks Cloud if he would like a honey Boy or Honey girl it's explicitly showing and expressing Bisexuality.

It also directly deals with Trans issues when Rodea explicitly tells cloud that beauty and gender are NOT tied to how Cloud was born, that gender doesn't definite beauty in the least.

Another way it expresses this is by no one even calling into question the depth of Cloud's voice, something that I as a Trans person wished I was treated that way in life. So even if you disagree it should be Included it is factually wrong that it doesn't directly touch on LBGT themes.

Not to mention Aerith tells Tifa it's a date and it's exactly the same as she does with both Zack and Cloud before her.

Heteronormativity is awful and using it in reverse and saying something that explicitly handles gay imagery and saying it's not good enough is just weird?
I'm trying to think of how to phrase it. Like I don't deny the examples you brought up and I think they are all good things. Just for me personally, I don't think these elements work together cohesively and strongly enough to constitute a theme in the entire game. They feel more like worldbuilding elements specific to that area and don't really extend beyond that small part of a pretty lengthy game. Like I remember doing so much before Wall Market where none of this is mentioned and then it feels like there's so much after where none of this is mentioned again. I don't think queerness has to be presented via a character but it's a way to make queerness a constant presence in a variety of settings. For me it just wasn't enough. If it worked for other people, I'm really happy about that.

The only thing that I'll push back against is Aerith and Tifa because games love to do these little moments between female characters as a tease that never amount to anything. Considering we know they both have feelings for Cloud, it really doesn't do it for me. Would love to eat my words though.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Bugsnax had absolutely no right to be this good about GLAAD relationship (and overall, human relationships), so I hope they can win. Chandlo foreva, bro!

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to think of how to phrase it. Like I don't deny the examples you brought up and I think they are all good things. Just for me personally, I don't think these elements work together cohesively and strongly enough to constitute a theme in the entire game. They feel more like worldbuilding elements specific to that area and don't really extend beyond that small part of a pretty lengthy game. Like I remember doing so much before Wall Market where none of this is mentioned and then it feels like there's so much after where none of this is mentioned again. I don't think queerness has to be presented via a character but it's a way to make queerness a constant presence in a variety of settings. For me it just wasn't enough. If it worked for other people, I'm really happy about that.

The only thing that I'll push back against is Aerith and Tifa because games love to do these little moments between female characters as a tease that never amount to anything. Considering we know they both have feelings for Cloud, it really doesn't do it for me. Would love to eat my words though.
So Aerith can offer Zack a Date and fall for him.

Aerith can invite Cloud on a date and fall in love with him.

Aerith specifically asks Tifa on Date and Tifa does NOT treat it like a joke. She pauses for multiple seconds stunned at Aerith's offer and then smiles before saying yes only for Aerith continues to reassure and support her...just as she does Zack and Cloud.

I'll just take my leave but the idea that somehow her specifically asking out to Men and then growing feelings for them has to mean she is straight and just joking with Tifa....I just despise this line of thought and it's one of the reasons it persists because even when a Woman asks out another Woman people continue to do this.

Aerith shouldn't have to hold up a sign and say I'm Bisexual just to have her be bi.

Last edited:

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft) - Haven't played it, so I'm not sure why this is here. Surely there's other games by lesser-known studios that could've fit?
Borderlands 3: Guns, Love, and Tentacles (2K Games) - Eh, sure. Wasn't my favorite form of representation, but at least it's something.
Bugsnax (Young Horses) - FUCK YES
Hades (Supergiant Games) - FUCK YES
If Found… (Annapurna Interactive) - Didn't play, but I love Annapurna and have heard wonderful things
Ikenfell (Humble Games) - Absolutely deserves the nom
Immortals Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft) - See Assassin's Creed.
The Last of Us Part II (Sony Interactive Entertainment) - Yep, deserved
Tell Me Why (Xbox Game Studios) - 100% deserved and will likely win
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands (Blizzard Entertainment) - Ehhhhh, it's their best xpac in terms of rep so far but eh....

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
So Aerith can offer Zack a Date and fall for him.

Aerith can invite Cloud on a date and fall in love with him.

Aerith specifically asks Tifa on Date and Tifa does NOT treat it like a joke. She pauses for multiple seconds stunned at Aerith's offer and then smiles before saying yes only for Aerith continues to reassure and support her...just as she does Zack and Cloud.

I'll just take my leave but the idea that somehow her specifically asking out to Men and then growing feelings for them has to mean she is straight and just joking with Tifa....I just despise this line of thought and it's one of the reasons it persists because even when a Woman asks out another Woman people continue to do this.

Aerith shouldn't have to hold up a sign and say I'm Bisexual just to have her be bi.
I think you're misrepresenting what I said? I never said Aerith couldn't be bisexual nor did I say it was presented as a joke. I'm saying that most games, especially JRPGS, don't depict bisexuality particularly deeply, like something that can be explored with the character. There might be hints between female characters but the narrative is much more explicit with their relationships with male characters. We know factually this is the case with the original VII. As AFAB person who primarily dates female identified people, I also don't like that line of thinking. But I personally think depictions of ship tease moments and then never exploring it further contribute to it.