• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you skip buying a new Xbox or PlayStation this year?

• Yes, i won't buy a Series X or PlayStation 5 this year.

Votes: 975 33.8%
  • No. i'll buy a Series X or PlayStation 5 this year.

Votes: 1,907 66.2%

• Total voters

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair you should never buy a console on launch. Launch software is usually not the best and when it is it's better to wait for a library of good titles to develop.

I always buy consoles on launch to because graphics

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'll obviously be buying both because duh, but I wouldnt be surprised if the launches were super soft. Even if everything opens up in a month or two families will still he struggling.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
What is up with all the oddly worded polls lately, lol.

"Yes, I won't buy a new console." It would have been so much better to write "Will you buy a console? Yes/ no"

Anyway, I don't see the point of waiting. I already know I'll want one, so I may as well get one at launch and enjoy it. If I was going to wait I'd just wait for a revision.

I don't understand the article in the OP at all, ray tracing is exciting but it's not the sole reason I'm getting a next gen system. I couldn't care less whether or not launch games support it.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I just want to play my games on a quiet box.

I don't care how soon or how much, that's what I'm going to do.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be worth getting them as an upgrade for your current games anyway, wouldn't it?
Like if you treated it as another midgen refresh, it'd still be a completely valid purchase decision (obviously, it's far more than that).

I see no reason to wait, personally.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
At the moment heavily leaning more to wait until next year/first decent sale or at the latest God of War PS5, but we know barely anything about their launch line ups and nothing about the price, so could change my mind.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Uh, the quoted bit of the article in the OP starts off unremarkable, but then quickly seems to go off a cliff and talk endlessly about... ray tracing? I shouldn't buy a console at launch, because maybe not many games will have... ray tracing? Do I have this right? lol.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely wait to understand the launch line up, but I also have $300+ worth of Best Buy Rewards I need to use by August. So fingers crossed preorders become available by then. One of the bigger factors may be the performance improvements of PS4 games, then the launch line up isn't as make or break. Looking forward to PS5, I'll continue to play Xbox exclusives via Game Pass on PC.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
So... The biggest selling point of this generation is having Raytracing on consoles? I admit it's impressive by itself, but a letdown as a generational milestone.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'll be skipping Xbox seeing how I have a monster PC and I get everything on PC GamePass. There's no way I'm not buying a PS5 though.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Since I sell my current consoles to buy new ones, my Pro and X will depreciate like a rock by the end of 2021. At launch I can at least get $400 combined for both and at least fund one next gen console.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
The main factor for me RE: getting it at launch is going to be what kind of console trade-in deals GameStop has going on. If I can knock off $100+ with my PS4 and some games then I may have to pull the trigger
That's something that I have considered as well. I have a launch PS4, and a recent Pro that I got on sale after getting a 4K HDR TV.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
I will buy Xbox day one if I can enter the store and get out with one or just shipped. I will not bother if is low on units and I have to go chase one.
Then buy a Ps5 together with a big Sony release at 2021 minimum

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I will buy it second hand to lower my carbon footprint. I do not think I can wait with X as I have gamepass subscription. PS5? Sure as long as Demon Souls remake doesn't launch I will wait a while.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
I got both RRoDed and YLoDed on my launch units of the 7th gen, so I held up a bit on that PS4 (well, Sony forced me since it launched in February 2014 in Japan).

I feel the new consoles are pushing the boundaries even more so I am going to wait and see how the cooling solutions perform.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I have a PC so I don't need an Xbox.

I'm not buying a PS5 until there's software I want on it that's worth me purchasing a $500ish dollar piece of hardware for.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'll pick up a ps5 day one. Doesn't matter about launch games, it's not gonna get a price drop for 18 months more than likely so no point waiting a year and then buying it at launch price...

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I am waiting for the 7th to see next gen gameplay . If it's something doable on 1080ti with i5 9600k with 32gig and ssd main I'll probably skip this year .
My situation is like this :

if xbox series x is more powerful than 3070 , I am buying series X and PS5

if xbox series X is same power as 1080ti, I am buying just PlayStation and enjoy my xbox games on Pc

as far as ps5 goes I am only gonna buy it for its exclusives if they appeal to me . Not all their games click with me like the last of us which I hate .
I want a true god of war 3 sequel not the rubbish I got on ps4 ( sure it got 10 but god knows it doesn't even deserve it not even close but anyway that imo )
I want wipe out , twisted metal .a true GT game . Not uncharted 1 million. Games that I grew up on .

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still using my Day One Xbox as my primary, and have been teetering in the edge for a One X for a while. The only reason I haven't jumped is because of the Series X on the horizon. As there will be BC with current titles, there is no reason for me not to get XSX on launch.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a base ps4 so I'm waiting for the ps5 to play a few ps4 exclusives at their best resolution/frame rates.
Day one just for this

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm the type that buys 1 console and done, lasts me the whole Gen. I don't do refreshes. I have had 4k tvs and not been able to take advantage of it (thankfully, I was able to take advantage of hdr). So yeah, you're damn right I'll be there day 1, it's been too long

And these machines will last me 7+ years, totally worth it

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be preordering from John Lewis in the UK, who give you 2 years warranty on all electronics for free. So I have no concerns over the hardware.

Jun 17, 2018
I'll be picking a console up this year but which one is dependent on what games are shown.

Was leaning towards an Xbox Series X a few weeks back due to having such a big library of Xbox One games but my dad and I agreed that Microsoft just aren't releasing the huge blockbuster titles that Sony are and don't want to miss out on them (especially now they have all this power going into next gen!), so we're both pretty hyped for the PS5 reveal.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No chance I'm not buying a new console this year.

Most likely Series X, so I can use GamePass plus Cyberpunk 2077 enhanced (if that launches this year)

Feb 24, 2018
Hmm?

At the moment I'm probably going to wait on getting either till next January-March, mostly a money thing for me as while I can afford (though anything can happen), I don't want to risk being low on money in case I need it for something important. I guess it also depeneds on the games I guess as well but the best games for a system rarely appear early.

The article is weird on what it focuses, like launch titles, game delays, launch hiccups, history of the launch version of consoles having issues (red ring being the most notorious), Conoravirus etc seem like bigger things to focus on.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
My day 1 ps4 regular and ps4 Pro still work perfectly. I'll be getting the ps5 day 1 if I can.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
With shortages i don't expect to get my hands on one even if i had the money. They'll probably offer PS5 games on PSNow when it does come out for those that can't get one yet.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Especially for Xbox it doesn't matter seeing for the launch period there won't even be exclusives. You can just get one and play the games better.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
PS5 is day one for me. Just because Phil says there will be a delay with games on Xbox this does not mean the same will apply for PS5.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
First time I'm Not hyped for an upcoming generation, therefore I'll act accordingly by taking a wait and see approach. PC platform simply is the better choice in the long run, especially for Games from US and European publishers. It doesn't help that this generations 1st party output from both companies slowed down quite a bit compared to past generations and that this most likely won't get any better next generation due to even higher demand for development resources. The trickle down of a handful 1st Party Games from MS and Sony, that mostly aren't that appealing to me anyway, simply doesn't justify an early adoption.

Last edited:

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
As soon as three exclusives I want to play actually released I'll buy it.
That's how I did it for all consoles after the Wii.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know when I'm going to jump into next gen. If I decide to switch to Xbox next gen, I'll probably get one day one alongside GamePass--it'll give me access to a lot of games from this gen I missed out on. But if I'm going to stick with Sony, I'll probably wait until there's a major next gen-exclusive title I want. If the differences in cross gen titles isn't significant, it could be a good while before I jump in.

With that said... I will likely be sitting the viva for my doctorate in November and there's a good change I'll want to treat myself to something big after it.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why wait? The virus will still be here. Haven't been traveling, going out spending money socializing. So much money is being saved as a result and life won't be completely back to normal by then, why not buy a toy.
Solid take-away.

Until there a viable vaccine, if you are fortunate enough to still be employed, I see no reason not to go for it.

Unless there are hardware issues - but highly doubt there would be.