• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you skip buying a new Xbox or PlayStation this year?

• Yes, i won't buy a Series X or PlayStation 5 this year.

Votes: 975 33.8%
  • No. i'll buy a Series X or PlayStation 5 this year.

Votes: 1,907 66.2%

• Total voters

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I'll check what games are out at launch. If there's a big must have game for me, then I'll try to get one. If not, well, I'll get one when a game I do want is coming. Buying hardware without good software for it is a rookie mistake. Not doing that again.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Gizmondo: You Should Probably Skip Buying a New Xbox or PlayStation This Year

tenor.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is computer upgrade year for me. Next year might be new console year.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I won't have a choice. Finding a PS4 and Switch during the lockdown was near impossible.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I clicked the wrong option at first, but fixed it. Yes 100% buying one this year.

Hey if this article makes it alittle easier to reserve a console, I'm for it!

Nov 14, 2017
If PS5 offers 60fps on TLOU2 on day1, it will be hard to resist (if the console price is right, obviously).

But will eventually get both as usual, whenever I'm able and want to.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, for me personally just some older games running better (even if slightly in some cases) is probably enough but I get how this is the sentiment for some

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I'm good only buy Nintendo systems on launch. I could easily wait 2+ years for enough games that I like to come out as well as a good bundle too

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If the Switch shortages are any thing to go by, yes I'll get one this year. Hell, maybe both.

Might not be the same situation as the Switch, but limited stock still means either one might be hard to find next year.

And while I know the games will come eventually, I'll gladly take the QoL improvements day one. Then there's BC. And at least 2 exclusives I'm waiting for the PS5 to play them on.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Definitely going to be getting an XSX or Lockhart on day 1, simply because of all the features it will have and because of how poorly some Xbox One games run on my Xbox One. Even ignoring the actual next generation games lets go through some features I am looking forward to:
- Stable frame rates in Gears 5 splitscreen
- Faster loading times for several games I play
- Auto HDR for several backwards compatible games (cannot wait to see Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gears 3 and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory)
- Higher resolution for several games (Gears UE confirmed, and expecting many Unreal and AssCreed games to get a boost as well)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
next article, 5 days later: "Here are the five newly announced Xbox Series X games that are worth your console preorder"

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna buy both first day.
Also the author doesn't have a clue about what they are talking about. How are these allowed to write is beyond me. *Raytracing*

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I want to buy a new console this year but if Sony is really only making 5-6 million consoles for the FY... I don't know that I'll be the type of person standing in lines and waking up in the middle of the night to place orders...

So I picked no, I probably won't.

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing this forum most people that are answering no are going to be rebuying their consoles a year or two down the line when their launch units inevitably start sounding like jet engines.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nope. Much as I will get a PS5 someday, I usually wait a couple years. There's rarely anything I feel is essential in those first couple years, and I have a Switch and Gaming PC for anything multiplatform. I'm pretty happy with that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saving for a house so anything that comes out for the next two years won't be bought by me. It will make it all the more sweeter once I do get it and there's a bigger library of games to actually play by then.

Although both of them having some form of Backwards Compatibility will definitely make it harder for me to hold off.
Now if Sony tries to one up Microsoft and says "Fuck it you can play ALL your Playstation Games you ever bought on our new machine." shit would hit the fan and I would be forced to drop everything and buy this magical new godly console.

But that is something that would never happen so I can feel safe in knowing I won't have to buy any of them right away.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I don't buy consoles day one. Unless of course one of them launches with something as good as Bloodborne.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I clicked the wrong option at first, but fixed it. I wonder if a few more folks picked the first one, when they meant to say they would be buying Next gen console this year.

Personally the PS5 could release with a major AAA sequel to every IP they have and I won't be picking it up. Getting furloughed a few weeks and seeing the serious hit my income took along with how shitty unemployment is in my state opened my eyes a bit. I'd love to get a PS5 mind you but realistically it's something that is nowhere near essential as keeping a roof over my head and everything that goes with it. Maybe if I was rich but with the world the way it is the idea of dropping $500+ for a item that does little more than gaming and maybe stream Netflix is far down on my list of needs.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
If it has PS4 BC, getting it day one. My ex-fiancee ran away with my PS4 and monitor...and playing games on my brother's console via Remote Play is not ideal.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
The longer you wait the better deal u get - it's not just lower price, Black Friday 21 free game(s), Black Friday 22 lower price and bundle of free games etc.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I usually day 1 new consoles, but honestly my backlog is pretty big right now. Like I honestly have enough games to last me like six months. That said I probably will get a new console. I just wish we could see more games so I can decide which to get out of the gate.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Buy on day 1 for much more, having to wait for the catalogue to increase, risking launch-time failures and quirks or waiting 2-3 years, having many more games for cheaper and getting an improved model for cheaper. Very difficult choice.

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that will stop me getting a PS5 as soon as possible is supply issues making it a hassle. This is a long-term investment for me so a few launch months or less than optimal release schedules is not going to mean much a few years down the line. Then again I'm not somebody who sweats delays or gets annoyed that something was announced 2+ years before it released. So a game launching in Spring/Summer '21 that was originally meant to release in Nov '20 would just get a shrug from me.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so tired of the slow [base day-1] PS4 menu that I'll buy a PS5 just because of this. And if most of my games will support BC, then I'm fine.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This year or next year, what's the difference? If I'm going to buy a PS5, I might as well get it at launch. It's not like it's gonna be cheaper next year or anything, and if it plays PS4 games I know I'll be using it.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I'm buying a PS5 at launch. I sold my PS4 Pro earlier this year with the intent of having a backlog of games to play day-1 on PS5 at (hopefully) native 1440p.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Do you remember when the PS2 launched with some game about fucking fireworks? If I had a disposable income back then I probably would have bought on launch. This is going to be a way different situation.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to get any cheaper within the first year and that's the timeframe I want to get one. So I might as well go for it early.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not planning to buy a new console unless there's a really compelling year 1 lineup. I felt burned on buying a PS4 at launch, and both the speculation of games being delayed and there being possible limited quantities makes me think it's not worth worrying about.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Don't buy console because launch games will not take full advantage of hardware? But... that happens every gen.

I'm getting PS5 on launch, since the quality of games and long term support is guaranteed there [yet again, Sony's console is in its last year and it is still getting big exclusives that run great on launch hardware].

If MS manages to release something that is attractive to me, I'll get it on PC. MS will earn those sales from me, but then again, they are completely loosing me with multiplats.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll at least wait and see what the launch games are. If there is a system seller there, I'll get one, if not I wont.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm okay playing crossgen games, and we know that ACV will be there day 1. Going to try and get a PS5 at launch; though if stock is limited may not be able to

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Getting that PS5 day 1. Preordering ASAP. My day 1 PS4 is fine but it's almost 7 years old. My wife and I are lucky in our work and still getting paid and actually saving some money for not having to pay for daycare the past two months.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Say what you want but all depends of pricing and availability. I live in Costa Rica so I expect both to be at least $800~1000 on launch date. No thanks!

50% import tax doesn't help, so buying from the USA doesn't help either.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I get the point they are making but...

I'm definitely getting an XSX at launch. Launches are always exciting, even if it would technically make more sense to wait lol

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles are rarely worth it on launch day, only one I haven't regretted is the switch and that was touch and go for a while until the indie game avalanche.

Full backwards compatability will help though

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The quality of life improvements alone make me want it day 1, especially when it comes to Xbox Series X.

If I can play Sea of thieves, Ori, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4, Gears Tactics, numerous backwards compatible titles all at anywhere from 4k60fps to 4k120fps, let alone Minecraft with Ray Tracing, I am all there.

It will be worth it just for the OS improvements alone for me. Quick resume of 3-5 games at once, significantly faster loading times, butter smooth OS.

For once, I am also going to likely be able to play most of the launch titles without having to pay through the nose either, since I know Game Pass has my back.