• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
io9.gizmodo.com

Warner Considering Cheaper HBO Max Tier: Most People 'Are Not Wealthy'

WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar suggests streaming service HBO Max could get a cheaper, ad-supported tier to make content more accessible to all fans because: “It turns out that most people on this planet are not wealthy,”
Speaking at Morgan Stanley's Technology, Media & Telecom virtual conference that focuses on how industries plan to move forward post-pandemic (a point in time we can't truly know right now), Kilar suggested there could be a future, cheaper tier of HBO Max offered to the public because—and this may come as a shock to some—people aren't made of money.

"It turns out that most people on this planet are not wealthy," Deadline reports Kilar said. "If we can wake up and use price and be able to kind of invent and do things elegantly through advertising to reduce the price of the service, I think that's a fantastic thing for fans." Currently, HBO Max costs $15 a month.

While it's true that many people have been hit hard economically by the pandemic, it's not as if income inequality and wealth disparity are new social developments that only sprung up in covid-19's wake. Kilar's right to point out that the vast majority of people living right now are not, and never will be, wealthy. But framing the prospect of an ad-supported tier of HBO Max as anything but an ad-supported tier of HBO Max is a bit more than out of touch.

Deadline says Killar mentioned the idea is "on track to launch later this year" but nothing he said revealed WarnerMedia's price points or a specific launch date for the new tier, but rather that people within the company are certainly working on it during these unprecedented times.
Nah I think I'll stick with my current subscription. Ads are the last thing I want when watching HBO shows.

Deleted member 4874

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they watch to price match Peacock and Paramount+, I'd happily pay 9.99 a month for commercial free

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good price for the good content they have. Eventually it's just going to go up.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with paying $12/month ad free.

If they go cheaper I can't imagine it would be less than $10

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
If they do the math and can make the same profit from ads as they would from a subscription, may as well have the ad version available as well.

That goes for all streaming services. Let customers make the decision and then you profit either way.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
How would you even do this with HBO original shows? They're not made for ad breaks. It would be awful. Watch an episode of GoT or Succession and tell me where the ads are supposed to go?

I can see it for shows that first aired elsewhere but putting ads in HBO content doesn't make sense to me.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This was talked about before. I remember a thread on era about it, maybe it was a rumour from sources back then, but at least from what I know the general consensus is that ads suck and that adding ads even with a cheaper option is bad for the hbo brand which has made a name on no ads for decades in the usa right?

Oct 27, 2017
How would you even do this with HBO original shows? They're not made for ad breaks. It would be awful. Watch an episode of GoT or Succession and tell me where the ads are supposed to go?

I can see it for shows that first aired elsewhere but putting ads in HBO content doesn't make sense to me.
Probably can't watch stuff consecutively. Watch an ep of GoT and before watching another ep you have to sit through a 1:30 commercial. Or a commercial before every ep. Hulu sometimes does it like that. 3 commercials then ad free the rest of the way

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they could consider putting the app on LG OLEDS. Or including 4k and HDR in the console apps.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By cheaper ad supported tier they mean free, right? I'm not gonna spend 10 bucks a month for ads.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested, depending on the price. I grew up watching TV with commercials, so it doesn't bother me.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Say what you will, but I wouldn't mind watching an ad before and after a show if it knocked down the price to $10 or less. Especially if the ads are less frequent than on Hulu (which is still miles better than the amount of advertising on live TV, even now).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Why not? It'll get a few more folks on board. For me, I'll never go back to ad-supported streaming content if I can help it.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

GOT airs with ads in every other country in the world.

Sky isn't ad free in Western Europe for example, and has almost all HBO originals.

It isn't terribly hard.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Watch them charge the current price for the ad-included membership and make the ad-free more expensive.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
How cheap? It's worked for Hulu for a long time.
Hulu was like a cable alternative. They air network tv shows the next day and much of their library is stuff from tv that had commercials to begin with. It wasn't a hard sale when looked at that way and in the early days they had little to no ads for stuff like anime. HBO is a different beast with mostly premium content. I don't want this shit tier added because I feel like in the future it's going to be used to put the fear in people when they raise the price. "You don't like it? Well here's shit tier we began offering for customers not interested in paying $20.00 a month."

Watch them charge the current price for the ad-included membership and make the ad-free more expensive.

This guy gets it.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they always have the commercial free option too. Fine. It's nice to have more options for people that want it.

However, I will never pay and subscribe to an ad supported service. Personally I'm never going back to the paying to watch commercials thing cable had going on. I just greatly prefer my entertainment screen time to be commercial free. Can't imagine watching the Sopranos or GoT with commercials.

Throughout the year I binge watch and rotate and unsubscribe to streaming services so I'm never subscribed to more than 2 or so a month.