• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I was going to make a corporate overlords joke... but those jokes are becoming less funny. I mean, we are really just letting this shit happen. The corporations aren't taking over, they took over long ago. We just let it happen. I wish I could say it is just America, as it is easy enough to just dismiss America as broken (no offense), but I fear it is the entire western world.

This is gross.

It is.

Here's two different, but related books by two deceased men that speak about just why this happened/is happening in Western Culture:

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism - Sheldon Wolin
Democracy is struggling in America--by now this statement is almost cliché. But what if the country is no longer a democracy at all? In Democracy Incorporated, Sheldon Wolin considers the unthinkable: has America unwittingly morphed into a new and strange kind of political hybrid, one where economic and state powers are conjoined and virtually unbridled? Can the nation check its descent into what the author terms "inverted totalitarianism"?

Wolin portrays a country where citizens are politically uninterested and submissive--and where elites are eager to keep them that way. At best the nation has become a "managed democracy" where the public is shepherded, not sovereign. At worst it is a place where corporate power no longer answers to state controls. Wolin makes clear that today's America is in no way morally or politically comparable to totalitarian states like Nazi Germany, yet he warns that unchecked economic power risks verging on total power and has its own unnerving pathologies. Wolin examines the myths and mythmaking that justify today's politics, the quest for an ever-expanding economy, and the perverse attractions of an endless war on terror. He argues passionately that democracy's best hope lies in citizens themselves learning anew to exercise power at the local level.

Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology - Neil Postman
In this witty, often terrifying work of cultural criticism, the author of Amusing Ourselves to Death chronicles our transformation into a Technopoly: a society that no longer merely uses technology as a support system but instead is shaped by it—with radical consequences for the meanings of politics, art, education, intelligence, and truth.

Things definitely are pretty bad, across the board. Hopefully, people across the planet can right the ship before things get too much worse.

Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice to have a list of sites like this that are not legit journalism anymore and just keep pressure on everything they do with constant reminders to everyone out there what they are.

I mean what's the point if all you are doing is taking money to write good things about products?

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
What else can you expect these corporate hacks to do when they read about how much ninja is being paid to blatantly shill stuff and how it has zero impact (or even improves) the size of his audience. I'm glad to see the repudiation in this link but imo this outcome is inevitable given the way audiences are behaving.

People just don't seem to care if it's an advertisement or not anymore.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
I'm no fan of Kotaku and jschreier has me blocked as well ... but how many of us have whitelisted Kotaku or purchased anything thru their affiliate links?

When you help gaming sites with their monetization, you help prevent them having to turn to less savory means of revenue.

So, consider supporting your gaming sites one way or the other.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Jalopnik worried about Lexus? That doesn't smell right. Lexus ain't Ferrari.

I can't imagine someone one thinking that anyone could write anything controversial enough about a Lexus to warrant checking the article.

HAlexandra

Jun 27, 2018
I don't even know if I've ever posted on these forums but I'll quote my own tweet on this matter as well:

"I have never been asked to have a sales representative present at an interview, nor has it ever happened. Kotaku has the benefit of an EiC who pushed back against this notion, one which I personally think would not be conducive to the journalism our readers deserve."