• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

Since newly created company G/O Media Inc. took over the websites formerly known as Gawker Media, the new leadership has made a series of moves that are at odds with the company's famously freewheeling corporate culture. Several of those moves have angered high-level staffers at the company.

Earlier this year, investment firm Great Hill partners purchased G/O Media, the company known as Gizmodo Media Group and Gawker Media, and installed former Forbes executive Jim Spanfeller as the company's CEO. Spanfeller has largely delegated editorial tasks to a deputy, but in his limited interactions with top editorial staff, he's made a number of suggestions that have raised eyebrows.

As the new chief of G/O Media, Spanfeller has seemingly attempted to diverge from the old Gawker ways of doing business. According to sources inside the company, he has pushed the sites to allow relationships with advertisers to shape their coverage. Two people with knowledge told The Daily Beast that in a private meeting, Spanfeller reviewed the coverage of Lexus with the editor-in-chief of Jalopnik, a car-focused website, to ensure that its stories did not discourage the luxury automaker from advertising with G/O sites. On a separate occasion, sources said, the new CEO suggested that reporters and editors at Kotaku—once a Gawker-owned gaming website—bring a sales representative to interviews with gaming executives.

Kotaku EIC response:

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when an investment firm buys a company and installs a puppet as CEO. They want revenue.

AzureJet

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Pandering to potential advertisers is one way to kill off any interest I'd have in Jalopnik or Kotaku.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
Kane_%26_Lynch_2_cover.jpg

ah, the good old dog days

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope any legitimate journalists with Kotaku (like Schreier) would take a firm stance against this.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to make a corporate overlords joke... but those jokes are becoming less funny. I mean, we are really just letting this shit happen. The corporations aren't taking over, they took over long ago. We just let it happen. I wish I could say it is just America, as it is easy enough to just dismiss America as broken (no offense), but I fear it is the entire western world.

This is gross.

FelixFFM

Nov 7, 2017
I was going to make a corporate overlords joke... but those jokes are becoming less funny. I mean, we are really just letting this shit happen. The corporations aren't taking over, they took it over long ago. We just let it happen. I wish I could just say it is just America, as it is easy enough to just dismiss America as broken (no offense), but I fear it is the entire western world.

not much they can do except walk out.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm sure literally everyone else would be happy to have someone like Schreier because you suggested some real dickfuckery.

I mean why try to let your good people go like that.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Totillo should go start a new site with Schreier. I can't imagine this new CEO is a fan of Press Sneak Fuck's inside scoops on major publishers that really piss of those publishers lol

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be pretty damn surprised if the Kotaku team was going to take this lying down. They've done a great job building an actual journalistic credibility among the staff and it'd be suicide to go back to a sponsor manipulated outlet.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
Totillo should go start a new site with Schreier. I can't imagine this new CEO is a fan of Press Sneak Fuck's inside scoops on major publishers that really piss of those publishers lol

The site would have to be funded, and salaries paid. I am in no way disagreeing with you, but they would have to get a massive revenue source.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
This is why more and more people are turning to individuals at youtube for their gaming news. For better or for worse, depending on who you ask. Their "perception" of not being influenced by advertisements and sponsors.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a company that dont want revenue & profit?

This is where company values come in. Typically media companies draw a line in the sand to prevent risk and brand damage.

Like IGN keeps its advertising and reporting divisions apart from one another so that they're not accused of manipulating coverage for profit. But this appears to be a pretty blatant attempt at manipulating coverage.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds unethical as shit, especially if they present it as an independent review/article/whatever and don't disclose that it's basically sponsored content.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Lol what? MCNs operate no different from other companies in this regard. Youtubers regularly have sponsorships and ads.

I know. That's why I said perception. People seem to think youtubers aren't being influenced. That they are individuals just at home vlogging about "things they love." Just look at the rise in popularity in YongYea, Skill Up, Laymen Gaming, and others.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
I mean about Gawker sites...when half the "articles" are ad posts already, is this very different? I wish it wasn't like that but the amount of ads they put as part of their regular content turned me off long ago to their coverage besides Jason's longer form stuff.

Regardless, this is step 1 in how to lose your staff that actually makes the content that makes the brand. This dude is a clown who thinks the brand is more important than the staff and its content, which is basically How to run a business into the ground 101.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
I wouldn't wish a private equity firm on my most despised companies - this & their current CEO seems to be the cruelest cut imaginable to Gizmodo/Gawker's values.

The digital media is a tough business in the west right now for a myriad of reasons, but anyone acquiring a group like Gizmodo Media knows that going in, and most of the suggestions by the executive staff alluded to in that article are like laughably three years+ out of date. In particular, the slideshow implementation will likely punish your aggregation, time on site, and external referral visits (which often is the lifeblood for most non-aggregator sites). No one half decent with cash trusts Taboola video metrics, let alone anyone doing autoplay defaults in the year of our lord 2019, so it's not just evilish proposed changes, but ineffective ones at that.

IMO, Gizmodo Media deserves better executive leadership than this. My heart goes out to the Gawker media folks.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is why more and more people are turning to individuals at youtube for their gaming news. For better or for worse, depending on who you ask. Their perception of not being influenced by advertisements and sponsors.

Youtubers are biased as all hell. And it's not just about sponsors. They follow wherever the wind blows, whether it's scorching Fallout 76 for schadenfreude clicks, or ignoring the Pokemon controversy because they need positive hype cycle clicks.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is why more and more people are turning to individuals at youtube for their gaming news. For better or for worse, depending on who you ask. Their "perception" of not being influenced by advertisements and sponsors.

While they aren't influenced by advertisements and sponsors, they have the potential to be influence by much dumber shit

Edit: Missed the quotes on perception, carry on

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is why more and more people are turning to individuals at youtube for their gaming news. For better or for worse, depending on who you ask. Their perception of not being influenced by advertisements and sponsors.

YouTuber's relying solely on ads and sponsored content, the majority of YouTube influencers, are far more likely to do a paid positive video on something than gaming news sites like Kotaku.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
does being in a union help at all with this?

Maybe? Ultimately the issue is that most game sites have seen sharp declines in traffic (why bother reading Kotaku if people will also just tweet the news itself, saving you the click and the ads). So there may come a day where these places either accept scummy investment money (IE with strings attached) or they just shit down.