• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The impacts have been profound on the ground, but government-mandated lockdowns have also remade the atmosphere. Satellite data from China, the first epicenter of the outbreak, and Italy, the second hot spot, have shown big drops in pollution following lockdowns that limited the movement of people and goods and factories' ability to produce stuff. With the pandemic now becoming increasingly prevalent in the U.S., Americans have already started moving less as mayors and governors have turned to similar measures.

"The rapid decrease we see in nitrogen dioxide due to covid-19 is unprecedented," Dix said. "We are now witnessing a global experiment where one emission source is rapidly turned down (NOx), while other sources are still up or will decrease more slowly. A lot of atmospheric science will come out of this."

earther.gizmodo.com

Coronavirus Slashed Global Air Pollution. This Interactive Map Shows How

The covid-19 pandemic has changed the world, grinding to a halt increasingly large geographic areas and portions of the economy in an effort to slow the virus’ spread.

There are several map comparisons of various parts of the US in the article. Here is one example from the article:

mqyugffjodqe6oqzmcj4.png

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that this shows people what could be possible with tighter pollution regulation when things return to normal and they witness things going back to their regular polluted state

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Well, what do you know, don't need fancy super technology to safe environment. Just reduce the amount of activity for a period of time

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Its actually gotten much cooler around here, too. Wonder if this has something to do with it?

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone who has gone outside for a walk noticed a difference?

I don't feel a difference in air quality in Houston...

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I've seen idiotic posts like "Coronavirus has done more for the environment than Greta" and man, I'm like "Well that's the fucking point, Coronavirus is proving her point!".

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wonder how quickly Earth's CO2 levels would go back to normal if humans just vanished overnight.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the air quality tests have faired the past two weeks compared to the same weeks the past couple years.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Air quality here in LA is most definitely better; you can visibly see the difference. Having moved here from Austin 6 months ago, I had to double take on how blue the skies are. Also helps that we had a good amount of rain to clean it up too.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Air quality here in LA is most definitely better; you can visibly see the difference. Having moved here from Austin 6 months ago, I had to double take on how blue the skies are. Also helps that we had a good amount of rain to clean it up too.
Yeah I live in LA too but it has never been clearer, even after the rains. It has stayed so clear for weeks now instead of filling up again a few days after water falls from the sky.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Gas-powered cars suck. The more we get away from them, the better.

Other modes of transit are also better, but pretty sure that's mostly automobile emissions.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Gas-powered cars suck. The more we get away from them, the better.

Other modes of transit are also better, but pretty sure that's mostly automobile emissions.
Most of the emissions actually come form commercial activity like trucks and such. Thank goodness that is actually where robotic transport will make a huge deal. Sucks for truckers though.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Everyone please remain calm! Global society will soon correct this unplanned improvement to the biosphere that sustains our lives.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Kind of hard to do that for a lot of jobs.

One thing that this pandemic has proved is that a lot of people CAN work from home sometimes, a lot more people than previously were doing so anyway.

Of course, there would be long term increased energy demands from millions of people working from home, but that would easily be offset by the lack of CO2 outputting transport...

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I've noticed the difference in traffic but not the air quality

I actually live in the region highlighted in the OP which... is not known for smog to begin with
I feel it's been chillier around here lately but could just be the season. Still too cold for me if it ain't in the 70s lol

Oct 27, 2017
Earth will shrug us off like ants if she wants and days will continue to go by. Humanity needs to get over itself and work together. We are a single unit.