• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything will suck forever because it sucks now. No further improvements are possible. Everyone should stop trying. Better to just complain about things. I see now. What a fool I've been.
cool, please explain how you can fix blockchain to solve it's current issues without creating a completely different technology or causing new issues. If you can't actually explain how your tech can improve, of course no sane person will take it seriously. compare nuclear fusion, which has been in the work for decades but actually has made demonstrable progress and is rooted in a core of solid physics with a very real roadmap and goalposts. and even then plenty of people are skeptical of nuclear fusion too. if you want to claim your tech is worth looking into, you need to actually give people an actual reason. but the fact is blockchain has been around for over a decade and despite wild promises has accomplished absolute nothing of value nor has it gotten any closer to doing so (though it has been used for tons of scams and illicit dealings)

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't really have a problem with Blockchain. I suspect there are some extremely limited use cases where it is effective. Blockchain tech gets mixed in with cryptocurrency/nfts and it really shouldn't. I dislike crypto/nfts, Blockchain is whatever.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the real truth about the advantage the creators and pushers of crypto wanted out of decentralized currency is they want to avoid paying taxes. that's the secret they don't want people to realize. that when they say decentralized money what that really means is that all the power lies entirely in the hands of the wealthy with literally zero avenues of recourse for the poor. because a decentralized currency means power centralizes not in governments or banks, but in the hands of the people with money. which means the super rich. it's not a way of democratizing power, it's a way of concentrating it because the central authorities we currently use have at least some level of accountability to the public, while in blockchain accountability is eliminated by design

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
User Warned : antagonizing another user
Pretty sure we're at the point where the troll calls everyone "haters" and says we "don't understand the tech".

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Of course being able to copy anything is a feature of computer software. Therefore, creating an environment where digital data can't be copied, where the copying restriction doesn't rely on some entity to restrict that copying, is a legitimate invention.
NFTs have literally nothing to do with copying. It's merely a mechanism to say you had first dibs. That's it. It's utility is incredibly limited because most people aren't going to give a SINGLE FUCK about who technically owns a commodity... unless of course the only interest is to resell with appreciation.

The only other use case I've heard is it just saving from having to save a few bits in databases. But what if those databases go down you say? Well, the content/service/game associated is probably inaccessible too in that case because it's likely managed by the same entity.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
What an amazing sales pitch! /s

I'm still eagerly awaiting that poster reply.

It's normal for inventions to find new uses in the future, just look at the technology we use from NASA or War in other ways, but it's fucking wild to invent something that is purely used as a predatory scam and get otherwise poor folks to buy into it so completely that they are out on the internet fighting for non existent use cases of your scam, a scam they aren't even profiting from

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
Until you solve this complex problem for us your point of view is invalid and we will laugh at you. I'm sorry, here we are only allowed to shit on everything and everyone who tries to build anything. Noted.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Until you solve this complex problem for us your point of view is invalid and we will laugh at you. I'm sorry, here we are only allowed to shit on everything and everyone who tries to build anything. Noted.

If what you're "building" is environmentally damaging and currently being abused to scam vulnerable people then yes you'll be shit on.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the problem is that you are tryign to sell "digital scarcity" as a benefit of NFTs. The fact is digital infinite scalability and nearly 0 cost of replicability IS the main advantage of digital goods and businesses! The reason why stuff like Google or big tech in general is so big is that they can creat a fuck ton of profit with less physical investment (outside of R&D) because they have enormous reach at their grasp.
Hell, even in the case where the scarcity can have a legit use (digital tickets for events), NFTs do not really have a major advantage over a centralized solution (as the creation of the ticket is already a centralized thing).

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Either there's a literal playbook of responses or this is an alt account from yesterday's detail.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Of course being able to copy anything is a feature of computer software. Therefore, creating an environment where digital data can't be copied, where the copying restriction doesn't rely on some entity to restrict that copying, is a legitimate invention.
it's not an invention because it can't do that

not to mention current technologies can do whatever blockchain does despite what zealots will tell you.

many people have asked you legitimate questions and you refuse to explain anything. what other technology gets a pass like this?

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's very sad how crypto bros can't understand how other people think their ideas are just dumb regardless of execution. Well, dumb at best.

Oct 25, 2017

I've been in tech for many years and I've built many things. Your arguments have to hold up. We have valid criticisms. Like I said I'm willing to hear you out. Can you detail a future blockchain idea that solves the "digital scarcity problem"? As you note it hasn't achieved that yet.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Blockchain solves the digital scarcity problem. NFTs are an early implementation that have a lot of problems and are mostly embarassing, but future attempts should be better. Blockchain also allows for transactions without a trusted party or central authority. That is also a legitimate innovation. The full potential for these developments won't be seen for some time.
People are (rightfully) dogging on you already, but I wanted to point out DRM already exists. And if you want tradability with your scarcity, Valve solved that soooo long ago - and their solution is lightspeed in comparison to the fastest Blockchain will ever be by definition of what it means to be a secure blockchain.

We've also seen over the past few weeks what "without a trusted party or central authority" means in reality. It means your fake money is fake.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
this week should be bad (good!) and it would be nice for this to not get locked

Last edited:

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
The knowledge won't be suddenly lost. See, we can archive things for later study without necessarily keeping said things physically around. Truly future times we live in.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Don't bother with Crypto Bros, they are either A) a Fool or B) a Scammer, either way there's no point in engaging them and bringing up actual explanations and reasons as to why their garbage doesn't and will never work, every crypto bros is as inept on the subject of technology as your grandparent, they are just repeating jargons and talking points that they're being feed by someone else. It gets particularly pathetic once it reaches the "you guys just aren't being helpful, so much negativity, NGMI" and it always happens lmao.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
trolls just want to keep derailing the thread so it gets locked eventually. it's tempting to respond, just don't. report and move on.

I honestly don't think this week will be any different than what's currently happening. sideways trading until some earth shattering news.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
NFTs have literally nothing to do with copying. It's merely a mechanism to say you had first dibs. That's it. It's utility is incredibly limited because most people aren't going to give a SINGLE FUCK about who technically owns a commodity... unless of course the only interest is to resell with appreciation.
And even then. Physical copies fullfil this need.

May 24, 2021
Digital scarcity "problem". Good lord.

The lack of scarcity in digital formats is the SOLUTION to scarcity. It isn't a "problem".

Jun 10, 2018
You're not "building" anything, because if you were truly concerned with replacing our current economic system with something better, crypto would be completely unmarried from what it would be hypothetically worth in an exchange for fiat.

And that's ultimately why when you pay even the slightest attention the grift becomes obvious. Hypothetical implementation is and will always be secondary to speculatory value. At least with the wildly overpriced comparatives like TSLA they provide a tangible product with practical usage value, and have a clear roadmap on how they believe they can grow and in turn make more money.

What is inherent of crypto that points to it providing the same value AND growth opportunity, other then proliferating Greater Fool theory?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all just need to report the troll and move on.
Nobody should be taking someone that refers to the lack of digital scarcity in current systems as a "problem" seriously enough to dignify them with a reply lol

Jun 10, 2018
Y'all just need to report the troll and move on.
Nobody should be taking someone that refers to the lack of digital scarcity in current systems as a "problem" seriously enough to dignify them with a reply lol
You're absolutely right, but I still feel compelled to give a response if for nothing else than to deter lurkers and would-be victims from buying into the shill.

Because ultimately he's not here to engage in a meritable dialogue but rather to present himself as a martyr being silenced by a mob.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Blockchain doesn't DO that though. It never did and it never will because that's not how any of this works.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"We just have no idea what they are and no plans but we know they are the future!!!"
vSngpXO.png

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is this one of the solutions to digital scarcity that was being talked about?

www.resetera.com

Polium One, a new NFT-based console

The company (Polium, that is...) just announced the console with a simple tweet. No price, no details, no release date and, most of all, no games. On top of this, the thread is full of fake accounts clearly created to support the original tweet. The announcement received quite a bit of...

FWyQOjbUUAA9wey

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Build what? You're the one advocating for this tech, you need to actually do the leg work and try to convince us what this can actually be used for. ELI5 the tangible benefits of blockchain. You don't get to throw up your hands and sulk like you're Galileo Galilei being tried by the Inquisition.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is this one of the solutions to digital scarcity that was being talked about?

www.resetera.com

Polium One, a new NFT-based console

The company (Polium, that is...) just announced the console with a simple tweet. No price, no details, no release date and, most of all, no games. On top of this, the thread is full of fake accounts clearly created to support the original tweet. The announcement received quite a bit of...

FWyQOjbUUAA9wey

lol

Oct 30, 2017

I now want to beat my head to a pulp with a Mithril Mace.

These people are deranged.

Axie Infinity is the usual case study I see. No idea WTF it is or how it works, though.

Wikipedia said:
The game's associated token, SLP, crashed in February 2022 amid a wider NFT and cryptocurrency crash, losing over 99% of its peak value.[SUP][8][/SUP] In March 2022, hackers compromised the Ronin Network, stealing approximately US$620 million worth of cryptocurrency from the project.

So it's own crypto currency that has both crashed in value and has been hacked, linked to Eth which has been stolen from the entire project.

This sounds like a microcosm of everything crypto tbh.

Like I said, they're all deranged.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The promise is that you'll be able to transfer purchased/earned assets from any game to another, which is total misinformed nonsense.
What these cryptobros fail to mention is that their dream is pure fantasy. No way studios will allocate resources to develop something they won't earn a single dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.