• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
5s9mc3413u691.jpg
Never did I think I'd see the day again.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
History repeating itself after the last crash, with a glut of ex-mining cards hitting the used market just as next gen cards are due for release.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I know all of you want to see this thing crash but I feel like there is too much money in crypto for it to die this quickly. Isn't there pension funds in crypto?

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I know all of you want to see this thing crash but I feel like there is too much money in crypto for it to die this quickly. Isn't there pension funds in crypto?
At the end of the day, all crypto becomes worthless once people decide that its speculative value is nothing. Whether or not pension funds or tons of money is put into the system, the irony is that everyone expresses the value of their wallets as real currencies. Because when it comes down to it, people want to put a real currency in and cash a real currency out. So sure, there's a ton of money in it, but it may as well be invested in Beanie Babies.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
At the end of the day, all crypto becomes worthless once people decide that its speculative value is nothing. Whether or not pension funds or tons of money is put into the system, the irony is that everyone expresses the value of their wallets as real currencies. Because when it comes down to it, people want to put a real currency in and cash a real currency out. So sure, there's a ton of money in it, but it may as well be invested in Beanie Babies.
At least Beanie Babies are cute.

Oct 27, 2017
Any manager who "invests" in crypto at pension funds should be fired.
Paul Tudor Jones, Stanley Druckenmiller, Ray Dalio etc gave them cover to do that really with commentary on crypto over the past year. Will that have changed following the absolutely stunning recent decline? I would imagine so, but ironically enough now is actually the best time in years to enter crypto with a multi year time horizon like pension funds have (obv with a very small portion of funds). I'll certainly be interested in updated commentary from any of the aforementioned on whether or not the recent declines have knocked their view on crypto, I imagine for most of them the answer will be "no", but definitely I think given it has failed as an inflation hedge some will no longer be interested in it.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think there's that much money in crypto, like compared to other asset collapses in the past.

So... like the entire crypto market cap, all crypto, all NFTs, all whatever, is about $1t, total. This sounds like a lot ... wow, $1t. But, $1t is about half the total market cap of one company, Apple. In November 2021, Tesla had a market cap of $1t, and now it's $660b. So even if crypto crashes and loses 50% of it's value, it'd be the equivalent of, like, one Tesla losing 50% of it's value, or Apple losing 50% of it's value.

For some comparison to other asset classes in market bubbles, mortgages make up something like $30t+, and the market is way more varied between primary mortgages, investment vehicles off of mortgages, etc. So when the subprime market collapsed starting in 2006 or 2007, there was real institutional, national/international wealth tied up there.

Crypto grew, it got pretty big, but not to levels of other asset classes.

TBH, if the crypto market collapses now, it'll probably be bettter for crypto or web3 or decentralization or whatever in the long run, as the Dot Com bubble bursting was for long term tech growth.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, seems... crazy to me that the market responded so quickly to this.

It's been improving considerably over the past 2-3 months. Not just due to plummeting demand off of lower mining profitability, but because of improved manufacturing output, and newer board revisions.

Ebay is kind of a bonanza right now because they're running a promotion where final value fees on GPUs and Game Consoles are 50% off, which is a considerable kickback for high-end gpus sellers.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be real interesting to see how Nvidia prices the 4000 series with GPU supply suddenly being very hefty.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
with high volatility, you can make alot of money on the up and downsides. You can also lose alot too. It's like a day traders paradise.

Honestly I wouldnt think day traders would be fond of this, because the high volatility throws all technical analysis out the window. Day traders profit from recognizing patterns and pre-empting them. BTC doing wild things with no basis behind it is nearly impossible to predict, so at this point you're just buying and gambling on it being an up day or not.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldnt think day traders would be fond of this, because the high volatility throws all technical analysis out the window. Day traders profit from recognizing patterns and pre-empting them. BTC doing wild things with no basis behind it is nearly impossible to predict, so at this point you're just buying and gambling on it being an up day or not.
It really depends on how people trade. Some traders trade on really short time frames, like 15min and below. They make money from going quickly in and out. So high vol helps with that kind of trading. As for btc doing wild things, it's not wild enough for people to not trade what it's doing. You generally can still find patterns to trade off of, even if you miss the initial wave. You can still find general supports/resistances but during high volume they may not be reliable, so that shit can mess you up quickly.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be real interesting to see how Nvidia prices the 4000 series with GPU supply suddenly being very hefty.

Hell, with the rumors of the power requirements for the 4000 series some people are being put off due to that. In my case, not only just from a "I need a new power supply" standpoint, but from a "these new GPUs are so power hungry, me gaming may be just as bad as mining" environmental mindset putting me off. Still may go for a 3080 or 3080 Ti instead of waiting.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
I was able to snag a 3080 TI 50$ below MSRP, so I'm happy. I wasn't sure I was going to upgrade considering the 4XXX series but like Teiresias said, the power rumors are scaring me off a bit.

But upgrading to a 3080 TI will help when that Dell OLED comes in and I have to push 120hz instead of 60 to that monitor.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Hell, with the rumors of the power requirements for the 4000 series some people are being put off due to that. In my case, not only just from a "I need a new power supply" standpoint, but from a "these new GPUs are so power hungry, me gaming may be just as bad as mining" environmental mindset putting me off. Still may go for a 3080 or 3080 Ti instead of waiting.

Sort of off topic, but I strongly encourage undervolting whatever new GPU you buy. You can cut power usage down by probably 10% without losing performance with just a couple hours of troubleshooting to get a stable undervolt.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Sort of off topic, but I strongly encourage undervolting whatever new GPU you buy. You can cut power usage down by probably 10% without losing performance with just a couple hours of troubleshooting to get a stable undervolt.

Yes, I do undervolt, but at some point that only buys you so much, and the silicon lottery kind of dictates how much you can shave off the max voltage.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Picking up a 3080FE later this week and hardly getting any bites on my 3070FE I'm trying to offload. Guess I'll just hold it for another build.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Holy Fuck the RTX 3060/Ti, 3070, and 3080 are available for in store pickup on Best Buy.com right now. The lower priced models for the latter 2 are sold out, but this is the first time in over 2 years that I've seen this.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
im stoked 30 series cards are back available now but they're still fucking stupidly expensive. the last card i bought i paid at most like 399 and it was top of the line (non-TI) at the time. I know inflation and tech and blah blah all that but it's near impossible for me to swallow paying 800+ for just the card when I got my entire pc for like 100 more than that before, it's still going strong since not a ton of games need crazy power yet but I'd like to upgrade, maybe i should keep waiting until the 3080s go sub 600... if ever. :(

Last edited:

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
im stoked 30 series cards are back available now but they're still fucking stupidly expensive. the last card i bought i paid at most like 399 and it was top of the line (non-TI) at the time. I know inflation and tech and blah blah all that but it's near impossible for me to swallow paying 800+ for just the card when I got my entire pc for like 100 more than that before, it's still going strong since not a ton of games need crazy power yet but I'd like to upgrade, maybe i should keep waiting until the 3080s go sub 600... if ever. :(

3080 cards may hit sub $600, used, just before 4000 series cards launch, as folks unload their GPUs to plan for their upgrade.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I just wanna say as a kid I had no idea beanie babies were a speculative asset and I just got them because they were cute... :(

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Great news for everyone who is sure Bitcoin will fail: https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/20/23176105/sec-etf-short-bitcoin-proshares-nyse

You'll be able to bet against bitcoin starting tomorrow with a shortable ETF.
Shorting anything is risky due to numerous factors. That said, without a "buy into BTC" ETF to balance this out, this could create enormous downward pressure on BTC due to how shorting works. All depends on the volume of this ETF. That said, shorts have to be covered by the ETF if the price goes up quickly, it could add buying surges as well on top of the normal "rise".

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Great news for everyone who is sure Bitcoin will fail: https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/20/23176105/sec-etf-short-bitcoin-proshares-nyse

You'll be able to bet against bitcoin starting tomorrow with a shortable ETF.
You're probably not going to find many people on here who will bite on that because those who have avoided crypto are too financially careful / prudent to be interested in shorting a purely speculative asset. Best you'll find are people who bought crypto, sold it, and now feel good enough to short it.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Shorting anything is risky due to numerous factors. That said, without a "buy into BTC" ETF to balance this out, this could create enormous downward pressure on BTC due to how shorting works. All depends on the volume of this ETF. That said, shorts have to be covered by the ETF if the price goes up quickly, it could add buying surges as well on top of the normal "rise".

The Grayscale BTC ETF could be approved this summer. We shall see.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

That many people really believed this "inflation proof" nonsense and dumped all their equity into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.