• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
You're basically saying that meteorology is a scam.
They're really not the same thing. Meteorology uses the laws of physics and mathematical models of real-world, physically measurable variables and processes.

Technical analysis tries to predict the future direction of asset prices strictly on the basis of what the price has done in the past. It's trying to apply patterns to something that's not governed by any physical laws, but rather by the actions, prerogatives, and feelings of millions of individual market participants forecasting and reacting to an inherently unknownable future.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
User banned (2 weeks): thread detail, cross-thread sniping

And there we go. Thread is as good as closed, can't have FUD in here.

I'm very interested in how this continues to evolve but not at all interested in "dip buy now" posts, which only leaves regular news threads instead of the ot. And I'm pretty sure the ot will report any "derailment" anyway immediately. This is a gizmodo article, not a rando Twitter post, please leave it open for a while :/

Last edited:

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
This is patently false! There is a reason robo-trading has upheaved investing.
I mean, I feel this is possible; I have family in the space specifically doing finances for a pension. Problem is that its for l-o-n-g term shit, not the sexy 'Get 20% return tomorrow!' which involves MLM or fraud (and in this case both)
If you're talking about algorithmic trading, hedge funds and whatnot, those are mostly about using really fast computers to find market imbalances, inefficiencies, and other arbitrage opportunities, rather than trying to predict future asset price movements on the basis of past asset price movements. And even then it's worth nothing that those strategies almost never out-perform holding the S&P500 on a risk-adjusted basis over long periods of time.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
User warned: cross-thread sniping

I'm very interested in how this continues to evolve but not at all interested in "dip buy now" posts, which only leaves regular news threads instead of the ot. And I'm pretty sure the ot will report any "derailment" anyway immediately. This is a gizmodo article, not a rando Twitter post, please leave it open for a while :/
they mention circle-jerking which I find veeerry ironic

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: cross-thread sniping

Always funny when users use that thread to tattle. Just report / ignore and live your life.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're really not the same thing. Meteorology uses the laws of physics and mathematical models of real-world, physically measurable variables and processes.

Technical analysis tries to predict the future direction of asset prices strictly on the basis of what the price has done in the past. It's trying to apply patterns to something that's not governed by any physical laws, but rather by the actions, prerogatives, and feelings of millions of individual market participants forecasting and reacting to an inherently unknownable future.
Yup.

If anything, Crypto is akin to astrology.
Pretty much all make believe.

I always thought crypto was like astrology for men.
Arr, quoted my messed up post xD

But yeah pretty apt.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

I can't find a good enough "rubbing temples" gif for this comment.

I couldn't give two hoots about FUD or whatever, as I've said there, I'm not in crypto - 100% on the outside looking in. I was asking where this stands with the previous edict from Hecht. If the mods class this as news then of course it's totally fine. Shits going to keep going down most likely, crypto as well as stocks - I literally have no horse in this race.

staff post - stay on topic

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Knock off the derail. Next person to keep it going gets a month. You can all discuss this without attacking each other.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Ban crypto. I don't care if crypto disappears lmao.

And I am talking about it purely as a financial asset. Lots of people collect art just to sell it later when it appreciates in value. Same with sneakers, clothing, etc

There's a big difference between art and crypto: most people buy art to enjoy it. Some people only see it as an asset to be resold a a higher price, but they're a small minority. Same for comics or trading cards. Most people buy Magic cards to play with them and are fine if they "lose" money in the process because they get to have fun in return. Some people only buy them to make a profit, but they can do that because of a big majority that plays for fun. With crypto, literally no one gives a shit about the tokens. It's only a generic asset to be resold at a higher price. it does nothing by itself, the only way to get a return on it is by selling it. The people in it for fun or enjoyment do not exist.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
astrology?! i love astrology!

let's check today's transits:

horoscopes.astro-seek.com

Current Planets, Astrology Planet Positions | Astro-Seek.com

www.Astro-Seek.com - Seek and meet people born on the same date as you

neptune square sun? CONFUSION! EGO HURT! MANY FEELINGS SO ATTACKED.

venus square moon conjunct saturn? BIG DISCOMFORT AND CONSTIPATION WITH MONEY IN SOCIETY.

it is the time to just let it all down the drain, my friends. uwu

(there are some trines and sextiles i am ignoring, but cooler heads and those who have planned well/acted first will do best, the rest being bagholders probably)

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
If y'all haven't listened to the Odd Lots interview with Sam Bankman-Fried from a few months ago, where he proudly and without a hint of irony declares that he runs a Ponzi scheme, you should, because it's absolutely hilarious.

Matt: (21:17)
Can you give me an intuitive understanding of farming? I mean, like to me, farming is like you sell some structured puts and collect premium, but perhaps there's a more sophisticated understanding than that.

SBF: (21:28)
Let me give you sort of like a really toy model of it, which I actually think has a surprising amount of legitimacy for what farming could mean. You know, where do you start? You start with a company that builds a box and in practice this box, they probably dress it up to look like a life-changing, you know, world-altering protocol that's gonna replace all the big banks in 38 days or whatever. Maybe for now actually ignore what it does or pretend it does literally nothing. It's just a box. So what this protocol is, it's called 'Protocol X,' it's a box, and you take a token. You can take Ethereum, you can put it in the box and you take it out of the box. Alright so, you put it into the box and you get like, you know, an IOU for having put it in the box and then you can redeem that IOU back out for the token.

So far what we've described is the world's dumbest ETF or ADR or something like that. It doesn't do anything but let you put things in it if you so choose. And then this protocol issues a token, we'll call it whatever, 'X token.' And X token promises that anything cool that happens because of this box is going to ultimately be usable by, you know, governance vote of holders of the X tokens. They can vote on what to do with any proceeds or other cool things that happen from this box. And of course, so far, we haven't exactly given a compelling reason for why there ever would be any proceeds from this box, but I don't know, you know, maybe there will be, so that's sort of where you start.

And then you say, alright, well, you've got this box and you've got X token and the box protocol declares, or maybe votes by on-chain governance, or, you know, something like that, that what they're gonna do is they are going to take half of all the X tokens that were re-minted. Maybe two thirds will, two thirds will offer X tokens, and they're going to give them away for free to whoever uses the box. So anyone who goes, takes some money, puts in the box, each day they're gonna airdrop, you know, 1% of the X token pro rata amongst everyone who's put money in the box. That's for now, what X token does, it gets given away to the box people. And now what happens? Well, X token has some market cap, right? It's probably not zero. Let say it's, you know, a $20 million market...

Matt: (23:56)
Wait, wait, wait, from like first principles, it should be zero, but okay.

SBF: (23:59)
Uh, sure. Okay. Completely reasonable comments.

Matt: (24:04)
I mean, that's not quite true, but, like, when you describe it in this totally cynical way, it sounds like it should be zero, but go on.

SBF: (24:10)
Describe it this way, you might think, for instance, that in like five minutes with an internet connection, you could create such a box and such a token, and that it should reflect like, you know, it should be worth like $180 or something market cap for like that, you know, that effort that you put into it. In the world that we're in, if you do this, everyone's gonna be like, 'Ooh, box token. Maybe it's cool. If you buy in box token,' you know, that's gonna appear on Twitter and it'll have a $20 million market cap. And of course, one thing that you could do is you could like make the float very low and whatever, you know, maybe there haven't been $20 million dollars that have flowed into it yet. Maybe that's sort of like, is it, you know, mark to market fully diluted valuation or something, but I acknowledge that it's not totally clear that this thing should have market cap, but empirically I claim it would have market cap.

Matt: (24:57)
I agree.

Joe: (24:59)
It shouldn't have any market cap in theory, but it practice, they always do. Okay.

SBF: (25:03)
That's right. So, and obviously already we're sort of hiding some of the magic impact, right? Like some of the magic is in like, how do you get that market cap to start with, but, you know, whatever we're gonna move on from that for a second. So, you know, X tokens [are] being given out each day, all these like sophisticated firms are like, huh, that's interesting. Like if the total amount of money in the box is a hundred million dollars, then it's going to yield $16 million this year in X tokens being given out for it. That's a 16% return. That's pretty good. We'll put a little bit more in, right? And maybe that happens until there are $200 million dollars in the box. So, you know, sophisticated traders and/or people on Crypto Twitter, or other sort of similar parties, go and put $200 million in the box collectively and they start getting these X tokens for it.

And now all of a sudden everyone's like, wow, people just decide to put $200 million in the box. This is a pretty cool box, right? Like this is a valuable box as demonstrated by all the money that people have apparently decided should be in the box. And who are we to say that they're wrong about that? Like, you know, this is, I mean boxes can be great. Look, I love boxes as much as the next guy. And so what happens now? All of a sudden people are kind of recalibrating like, well, $20 million, that's it? Like that market cap for this box? And it's been like 48 hours and it already is $200 million, including from like sophisticated players in it. They're like, come on, that's too low. And they look at these ratios, TVL, total value locked in the box, you know, as a ratio to market cap of the box's token.

SBF: (26:43)
And they're like '10X' that's insane. 1X is the norm.' And so then, you know, X token price goes way up. And now it's $130 million market cap token because of, you know, the bullishness of people's usage of the box. And now all of a sudden of course, the smart money's like, oh, wow, this thing's now yielding like 60% a year in X tokens. Of course I'll take my 60% yield, right? So they go and pour another $300 million in the box and you get a psych and then it goes to infinity. And then everyone makes money.

Matt: (27:13)
I think of myself as like a fairly cynical person. And that was so much more cynical than how I would've described farming. You're just like, well, I'm in the Ponzi business and it's pretty good.

Joe: (27:27)
At no point did any of this require any sort of like economic case, it's just like other people put money in the box. And so I'm going to too, and then it's more valuable. So they're gonna put more money in, and at no point in the cycle, did it seem to like, describe any sort of like economic purpose?

www.bloomberg.com

Transcript: Sam Bankman-Fried and Matt Levine on How to Make Money in Crypto

The price of major cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum have been moving sideways for awhile. But it doesn't seem like there's any slowdown in terms of money entering the space. Every day, some new fund is being launched or some legacy financial institution is diving into it. But what's...

Reminds me of how folks here once tried to convince me that staking your crypto for 20% APY is analogous to blue-chip companies paying out dividends.

Edit: Here's a good video summary.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
There's a big difference between art and crypto: most people buy art to enjoy it. Some people only see it as an asset to be resold a a higher price, but they're a small minority. Same for comics or trading cards. Most people buy Magic cards to play with them and are fine if they "lose" money in the process because they get to have fun in return. Some people only buy them to make a profit, but they can do that because of a big majority that plays for fun. With crypto, literally no one gives a shit about the tokens. It's only a generic asset to be resold at a higher price. it does nothing by itself, the only way to get a return on it is by selling it. The people in it for fun or enjoyment do not exist.

I'm not sure I believe that about art, at least not in the high end market.

People buy paintings and put them in warehouses, then hang a reproduction in their house. If it was really just about enjoying the art, they could just buy the reproduction and skip the original.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's why they tried to marry art and crypto with NFTs. It didn't work out so well, because with art you are in possession of an actual object, not a JPEG anyone can right-click on.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
If we look at Celsius, they froze withdrawals at around BTC = $27k.
Their margins were said to become problematic at around 21k.
We're at 19k now and the trend seems to be downward.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
GYODX How is SBF saying that he himself runs a ponzi scheme? I mean it's clear he's giving an example of a ponzi, but he's not the one running it, he runs an exchange. Now that exchange may give access to some of these coins but that's kind of a different than running a ponzi wouldn't you say?

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Buy the dip!!

giphy.gif

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
GYODX How is SBF saying that he himself runs a ponzi scheme? I mean it's clear he's giving an example of a ponzi, but he's not the one running it, he runs an exchange. Now that exchange may give access to some of these coins but that's kind of a different than running a ponzi wouldn't you say?
Sure, in the strict sense of the word, I guess he's not technically running any Ponzi schemes. But the difference to me seems more intellectual than anything. You're the CEO of an exchange that facilitates access to all these Ponzi schemes... you may not be running a Ponzi scheme yourself, but you're most definitely in the Ponzi business. And proud of it!

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, in the strict sense of the word, I guess he's not technically running any Ponzi schemes. But the difference to me seems more intellectual than anything. You're the CEO of an exchange that facilitates access to all these Ponzi schemes... you may not be running a Ponzi scheme yourself, but you're most definitely in the Ponzi business. And proud of it!

Homie, I mean lets look at stock exchanges and some of the absolute biggest frauds that were run over the last 18-24 months? Did NYSE/Nasdaq have any issues with listing SPACs even though they are not good for the average investor? How about the multitude of electric vehicle companies that had no products and just torched investor capital? What about Chinese companies that investors have 0 right to?

CREAM, get the money, as far as exchanges are concerned.

Edit: I don't want to defend SBF, but he's personally not the one running the scams. It's pretty wild that we're even discussing who's running the grift, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
If y'all haven't listened to the Odd Lots interview with Sam Bankman-Fried from a few months ago, where he proudly and without a hint of irony declares that he runs a Ponzi scheme, you should, because it's absolutely hilarious.

www.bloomberg.com

The price of major cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum have been moving sideways for awhile. But it doesn't seem like there's any slowdown in terms of money entering the space. Every day, some new fund is being launched or some legacy financial institution is diving into it. But what's...

Reminds me of how folks here once tried to convince me that staking your crypto for 20% APY is analogous to blue-chip companies paying out dividends.

It's so funny this moment was so under the radar when it happened because it is so bonkers to hear a Crypto King so plainly articulate the total absence of economic theory underpinning "yield farming" - when all is said and done this segment is going to be very famous

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. It's an open secret at this point but just nobody wants to tug on the thread because of the shit that'll come out and cover everything.

IMO a light being shone onto Tether from politicians will probably be their final undoing.

So, until that point, there's no recourse for those running Tether for refusing to reveal the assets that are backing it?

That's crazy. The pitfalls of an unregulated exchange, I guess.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
So, for those that follow Crypto closely... Why hasn't Tether popped yet?
Unlike other crypto which is mined, they control the amount of their own crypto which is controlled by trading it for BTC at a rate that is equal to the USD.
The belief that it has value comes from the fact that they say they have money reserves equal to the amount of tether that flows.
Hence, it means that they could rebuy their own crypto at the price of the USD if needed by selling their BTC + using their money reserve.

The problem is that they've been caught lying about their money supply before and lately they say that everything's fine and they have the value needed to cover everything even though some of their portfolio is in BTC which has melted against the USD.

So... the answer is... who knows?
There is growing doubt about tether for good reasons, but since everything is opaque (i.e. not transparent), no one can declare bullshit.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

the-big-short-stupid.gif

Jun 10, 2018
Tether going down is going to cause a bigger loss of money than either Madoff or Enron. So much institutional money is wrapped up in crypto we're going to see valuations decrease dramatically and entire funds completely wiped out.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
So, until that point, there's no recourse for those running Tether for refusing to reveal the assets that are backing it?

That's crazy. The pitfalls of an unregulated exchange, I guess.
Basically, and the post below answers it again in more detail.

I think at some point they had the funds that covered what they were printing but that was long ago and more recently it's just funny money whenever they release more.

Now, I have no proof of that, but it's increasingly becoming the commonly-held view I would say.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Homie, I mean lets look at stock exchanges and some of the absolute biggest frauds that were run over the last 18-24 months? Did NYSE/Nasdaq have any issues with listing SPACs even though they are not good for the average investor? How about the multitude of electric vehicle companies that had no products and just torched investor capital? What about Chinese companies that investors have 0 right to?

CREAM, get the money, as far as exchanges are concerned.

Edit: I don't want to defend SBF, but he's personally not the one running the scams. It's pretty wild that we're even discussing who's running the grift, lol.
Literally nothing alike. Anything without a product isn't on the exchanges and is relying on private investment to begin with, ie: the rug pull electric cars you mention. Either way, an investment in a company is based on actual risks and assessments of the PRODUCT that company is goin g to produce. Crypto has no product, it's literally just different money that isn't actually inherently useful.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Tether going down is going to cause a bigger loss of money than either Madoff or Enron. So much institutional money is wrapped up in crypto we're going to see valuations decrease dramatically and entire funds completely wiped out.
Not only that, Tether going down will probably kill crypto for a long time (if not ever), so everybody investing in crypto would give money to support it. It is "too big to fail" kinda.

LJ11

Oct 25, 2017
Literally nothing alike. Anything without a product isn't on the exchanges and is relying on private investment to begin with, ie: the rug pull electric cars you mention. Either way, an investment in a company is based on actual risks and assessments of the PRODUCT that company is goin g to produce. Crypto has no product, it's literally just different money that isn't actually inherently useful.

Nikola had a product.....LOL

How about I roll your ass down a hill and we go public, how much you think we can get for this new mode of transportation?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You're basically saying that meteorology is a scam.

Also, I've actually done dynamics research around things like weather forecasting, and it mathematically can't do better than our current system (which gets you out to maybe the 10-day forecast; certainly we'll never be able to tell you the highs/lows/chance of rain/etc... 6 months out with any real degree of accuracy).

There's no secret code to finance. Anyone telling you otherwise is selling something (or holding a speculative asset they want you to buy, in this case).

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I wonder if this is cryptos dot com boom? Whereby peak interest into crypto from venture capitalists and retail investors will never reach 2021 levels ever again. That is my belief. I never owned crypto and likely never will unless a BTC is like a dollar, then I'll buy a couple lottery tickets in the event stupid people become stupid again.

For a long time, I have felt the real value of "crypto" is the underlying technology, the blockchain. Crypto is just an infant spawned off this technology but doesn't bring any real value outside of money laundering and bypassing sanctions. The blockchain on the other hand, does bring real value in the form of smart contracts and real-time settling of value transfers.

In other words, "crypto" is here to stay but not the "crypto" as advertised and understood today.

Oct 27, 2017
Im salivating at the GPU market being not a shitshow.
Honestly, its kind of straightened out the past handful of months. You can pretty easily find your pick of cards at MSRP or even below. Certainly out of the dark days of Newegg Shuffles and having to sign up in Queues to get a card.

But a bunch of crypto cards flooding the market will certainly bring prices down even more. But then again this will likely all start back up again when Nvidia's 40 series cards come out.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Have it all go to zero. The graphics card market and in turn, PC market have been fucked for a decade because of crypto. Average Joe can barely afford an upgrade from years ago.

Madhlad

Jan 18, 2020
I wonder if this is cryptos dot com boom? Whereby peak interest into crypto from venture capitalists and retail investors will never reach 2021 levels ever again. That is my belief. I never owned crypto and likely never will unless a BTC is like a dollar, then I'll buy a couple lottery tickets in the event stupid people become stupid again.

For a long time, I have felt the real value of "crypto" is the underlying technology, the blockchain. Crypto is just an infant spawned off this technology but doesn't bring any real value outside of money laundering and bypassing sanctions. The blockchain on the other hand, does bring real value in the form of smart contracts and real-time settling of value transfers.

In other words, "crypto" is here to stay but not the "crypto" as advertised and understood today.
This cycle of boom and bust will for sure repeat once again.

Jun 10, 2018

Richard from The Plain Bagel has already been posted, but he has a video from about two years ago which surmises the same thing: the value is in the digital ledger, not the "currency".

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how the decline of crypto hurts the global economy as a whole. While not as large as the other factors fueling the recession we're all but certainly in, it seems likely to bring everything else with it to a certain degree and make things worse than they might have otherwise been

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This cycle of boom and bust will for sure repeat once again.

Not guaranteed at all, if anything speculative assets that don't have intrinsic value like tulips and beanie babies bust eventually and never come back. Only things with intrinsic value like gold or silver rebound because they are scarce metals.

A lot of crypto supporters compare it to the stock market, but the stock market doesn't have a boom/bust cycle. It has long term, sustained, highly predictable 6-8% real annualized returns of several centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.