• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyress8

Avenger
I'm begging people still in crypto, please.

For your own well being, jump out now.

I know you're determined to see it through, I know you're convinced this is just another cycle and it'll rise again, and now's the "perfect time to buy again".

But if you invested any money, even a single dollar, that you probably shouldn't have, that you probably can't afford to lose, thinking itll turn around, take it out now. You are being given a short window to actually get out before the dam truly breaks, and this is the time to do so.

And not by buying tether either. Actually cash that shit out. You are flirting with actual danger at this point. If Tether breaks, the rest of crypto is going with it.
Hodl my Cummies until I die!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will have a positive effect on GPU pricing, or if the sales of last gen Nvidia cards in some way proved how much people will actually pay to get one, and so AMD and Nvidia will price accordingly. I have no idea what percentage of the buyers who were getting them from scalpers were using them for crypto (and thus paying double or triple MSRP would "pay off"), and those who just wanted something for gaming.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
There was a lot of paid for puff pieces in the MSM. Like a lot. Of course they are still at fault but grifters absolutely tried to force this shit down peoples throats by paying for coverage.
Yes, of course the scammers are the one to blame.
I just wanted to point out that it was in fact possible for a person to invest in crypto without knowing about all the bad stuff due to how all that was presented on general news sites. Heck, I saw an article a couple days ago on a the (garbage) conservative french equivalent of CNN News how the BTC market will recover. They didn't outright recommend to buy the dip, but painted it as a not so bad idea.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Crypto people always kill me with the logic of avoiding fiat currency, but shouting from the rooftop that you can invest in it and covert it to….fiat currency.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
There was a lot of paid for puff pieces in the MSM. Like a lot. Of course they are still at fault but grifters absolutely tried to force this shit down peoples throats by paying for coverage.

Yup the amount of money going around to normalize this bullshit is insane. How do you think they afforded Matt Damon and Larry David for Super Bowl commercials?

At least when Draft Kings does it, they're honest that it's gambling.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A google search now and you'd expect it to be doom and gloom yet, half the articles are talking about whats next for crypto rather than urging people to get out.
Because the growth of crypto is entirely reliant on more people falling for the grift. Of course articles from crypto sites are going to put a positive spin on it, they don't want to lose any more money than they already have.

Oct 25, 2017
SMH people are celebrating poor people losing money in a ponzi scheme that I oriented my entire personality around helping perpetuate? Stay classy era...

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For me it was a gamble after going against my instincts every other time and still seeing it go up and up. Picked the wrong time, clearly. Just sort of a "put a small amount aside and see what happens" sort of thing that could maybe become a down payment on a house.

Now I'm over it. I do feel bad for people who were in my shoes and went all in though, as so many people made it out to be a sure bet when I was doing research on it. At the same time I'm glad the whole system is crashing down.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this will have a positive effect on GPU pricing, or if the sales of last gen Nvidia cards in some way proved how much people will actually pay to get one, and so AMD and Nvidia will price accordingly. I have no idea what percentage of the buyers who were getting them from scalpers were using them for crypto (and thus paying double or triple MSRP would "pay off"), and those who just wanted something for gaming.

I'll say it's likely to have an effect. Look at the updated cards from this year, the 6x50 series and the 3090ti, neither sold out at all. Not to mention the 30 series was pegged to be a hot update cycle anyway. I don't think we'll have too many people chomping at the bit to upgrade after paying massively inflated prices.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to consider how this crash is different is that mining is falling off a cliff because of skyrocketing energy prices

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/think-crypto-winter-battered-bitcoin-130921827.html

Mining doesn't work at these prices and they might not work again until the prices basically return to all time highs
Does Bitcoin really need more coins minted? It's not like people are actually using it as a currency, it's just the virtual equivalent of gold, with people thinking it will be worth a ton in the near future. Limiting the supply would only affect the price in one direction, upwards. Unless there is something about the minting process that is more fundamental that I don't understand.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Does Bitcoin really need more coins minted? It's not like people are actually using it as a currency, it's just the virtual equivalent of gold, with people thinking it will be worth a ton in the near future. Limiting the supply would only affect the price in one direction, upwards. Unless there is something about the minting process that is more fundamental that I don't understand.
I might be wrong but from what I gather the mining is integral to the actual bitcoin transactions.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
To the moon!

zOIsMym.jpg

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong but from what I gather the mining is integral to the actual bitcoin transactions.
Sure, but you can sell your coins and wallets without needing on-chain transactions. I assume the current price of BTC is pretty much just what a single coin goes for in actual "off-chain" markets. That's what I mean with people thinking of it like gold, just something to buy, to be sold later. Not actually used for anything.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Crypto is basically stock right? People invest in it in the hopes that the price will go up and they'll make a return on their investment. But it isn't backed by anything. When Apple performs well in terms of revenue their stock price will increase, but the only thing that increases the price of crypto is more people buying crypto is that correct?

How can something that's basically stock be used as a viable every day currency?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Crypto is basically stock right? People invest in it in the hopes that the price will go up and they'll make a return on their investment. But it isn't backed by anything. When Apple performs well in terms of revenue their stock price will increase, but the only thing that increases the price of crypto is more people buying crypto is that correct?

How can something that's basically stock be used as a viable every day currency?

Its not a stock for the reason you outline. Stocks are for physical real world companies that makes profits or losses, and the stock price relates to those companies performance. Crypto isn't related to anything - it simply is, and the price goers up because more and more people piled into the system. The price has no relation to real world performance. It's a classic ponzi scheme that relies on getting ever more people involved to make the price keep going up.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The idea behind it was as a currency, but it's really terrible at that and most have stopped pretending that it has the potential to be a currency. Next it was supposed to be a hedge against inflation, but it's also terrible at that for the same reason that it's terrible as a currency. Now it's just a speculative asset, and soon most will see that it's also terrible at that.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really matter, give them the laugh now but when it bounces back up there will be silence again

Always happens

Yeah, we'll just have to go back to complaining that a giant ponzi scheme is fucking over the planet by a group of morons who think magic money can just be created out of thin air and burnt out graphics cards.

Oct 25, 2017
Me after I see something happen a handful of times during a unique zero interest rate environment:

Yeah this is a never ending cycle and a law of nature and will never stop happening

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
We straight don't have enough data points on massive crypto drops to call a trend. This is it's third major bear market I think? That isn't close to enough to assume it'll be fine.
You are right it is going to be a major one. Your the only one that quoted me who I at least should quote and anwser to.

It is really interesting few weeks to try to see what is happening to an already hard to see market.. Not only in crypto but also in stocks

So I will try what I have been doing for the last few years on stock and try to see if I can learn something out of this without panicking

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Crypto is basically stock right?
So I will try what I have been doing for the last few years on stock and try to see if I can learn something out of this without panicking
You should both honestly decouple stocks & crypto in how you think about them. You can make money in both by investing and hoping the number goes up, but the difference between the two is that crypto is completely speculative in its valuation.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
No. Stock is a portion of ownership in a business. Also many stocks pay their owners a portion of their profit in the form of dividends.

Crypto is just hoping someone will pay more than you did later.

Its not a stock for the reason you outline. Stocks are for physical real world companies that makes profits or losses, and the stock price relates to those companies performance. Crypto isn't related to anything - it simply is, and the price goers up because more and more people piled into the system. The price has no relation to real world performance. It's a classic ponzi scheme that relies on getting ever more people involved to make the price keep going up.

The idea behind it was as a currency, but it's really terrible at that and most have stopped pretending that it has the potential to be a currency. Next it was supposed to be a hedge against inflation, but it's also terrible at that for the same reason that it's terrible as a currency. Now it's just a speculative asset, and soon most will see that it's also terrible at that.

I meant stock purely in the its just an investment thing.

Aren't Governments worldwide starting to get into the crypto space though? If they do would this mean that the landscape will change? Could there be a death of bitcoin, dogecoin and all of these private currencies and the emergency of governmental backed digital currency? Which I don't really understand how it would be different from fiat currency that we use to pay for goods & services electronically anyway.

Is there any way that we can actually use the block chain for something positive or is the entire space just one big Ponzi scheme.

What would Government regulation of bitcoin even look like? I don't understand how you an buy bitcoin from a website or large exchange and have no security for your purchase. Even if its a novel technology how come regular consumer protection laws don't apply to crypto?

Sorry for all of the questions. It just feels like I fell asleep and crypto became this huge thing overnight and I didn't realise.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
You should both honestly decouple stocks & crypto in how you think about them. You can make money in both by investing and hoping the number goes up, but the difference between the two is that crypto is completely speculative in its valuation.
It is a hard one and one of the reasons why I started crypto much later then stocks.. With the stocks I bought I usually bought on the ideas of the company and the direction they where pushing

I agree that crypto isn't like that though and much more speculative in what drives it up.. Hope to learn a better grasp of the crypto one day at a time though

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I meant stock purely in the its just an investment thing.

Aren't Governments worldwide starting to get into the crypto space though? If they do would this mean that the landscape will change? Could there be a death of bitcoin, dogecoin and all of these private currencies and the emergency of governmental backed digital currency? Which I don't really understand how it would be different from fiat currency that we use to pay for goods & services electronically anyway.

Is there any way that we can actually use the block chain for something positive or is the entire space just one big Ponzi scheme.

What would Government regulation of bitcoin even look like? I don't understand how you an buy bitcoin from a website or large exchange and have no security for your purchase. Even if its a novel technology how come regular consumer protection laws don't apply to crypto?

Sorry for all of the questions. It just feels like I fell asleep and crypto became this huge thing overnight and I didn't realise.
The entire purpose of crypto currency is that it's decoupled from government-issued currencies. If a government issued crypto, it would just be another form of fiat currency. Or, it would be a collectible item like commemorative coins issued by the mint, without real money value.

No, the block chain doesn't do anything useful. It's just a type of write-only ledger, which has some niche technical applications, but is generally not good for record keeping. All the applications crypto evangelists tout - crossplay items in video games, immutable property records, easily transferable medical records, etc. - either don't actually need the block chain component or would be disastrous if put into practice.

Consumer protection laws don't apply to crypto in that way, because it functions like a collectible. If someone bought $10,000 worth of Beanie Babies with the expectation that their value would soon be $1,000,000 and ended up with nothing but a pile of worthless toys, the TY corporation isn't liable.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
It is a hard one and one of the reasons why I started crypto much later then stocks.. With the stocks I bought I usually bought on the ideas of the company and the direction they where pushing

I agree that crypto isn't like that though and much more speculative in what drives it up.. Hope to learn a better grasp of the crypto one day at a time though
here's some advice, get out of crypto

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Lmao at cryptobros pretending to be heartbroken over the "poor Salvadorian people". They practically jizzed themselves when that shill Bukele appeared on the scene to give their scam undue "legitimacy".

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that crypto isn't like that though and much more speculative in what drives it up.
That's the thing I never could get anyone in crypto answer me:
If you invest in crypto (let's say Bitcoin at 15k), it's that you expect the value of BTC to go up, right? So that you can sell at a higher point in the future, for example at 60k?

For a stock, this means you are confident the company will at least keep its current margins and so on, or improve it, so that its stock goes up. That's what's speculative, the performance of the company behind the stock you buy into.
What makes you say BTC price will go up?

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
if this means that 40xx GPUs are going to actually be available to regular consumers at MSRP, I'm all for it

fucking tired of entire pallets going to miners

Status
Not open for further replies.