• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying watching this planet killing scam start coming apart.

Had no idea Marc Andreessen is involved in this.

I'm not sure if they know what they're selling?

I think it's basically "You can put a BTC tip jar on your podcast website," with the implication that a PayPal tip jar has the vulnerability that you might get canceled when your past sexual assaults come to light.

Or at least I believe that's the general implication with all the decentralized/anarchic talk. Obviously instead of dwelling on that, the actual practical advantage of bitcoin over the established web2.0 monetary exchange providers, the cryto pushers would rather talk about all the different flavors of tip jar they've come up with.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
$20k for BTC and $1k for ETH seems to be the bottom right now. Probably going to take some more bad news coming out to push it below those thresholds.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Bitcoin is just trickle up economics. Its design, like banking, is wealth redistribution. The floors for both are the floor.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$20k for BTC and $1k for ETH seems to be the bottom right now. Probably going to take some more bad news coming out to push it below those thresholds.

I wonder if the pending official bankruptcy/restructuring announcement by Celsius will have any further effect. On the one hand, they've already halted withdrawals, so things won't actually get worse in that regard, but if the details about who they owe the big amounts of money come out, I think that could move some needles further.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I checked back in on this thread and all of the post-crash comments (and several pre-crash comments that said it could be possible) are deleted. That's not very transparent!
if only the comments were on the blockchain 🤔

Good news, there's a Web 2.0 solution to look at the deleted comments:

web.archive.org

Celsius is insolvent, please get your funds out now

The leading community for cryptocurrency news, discussion, and analysis.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

I checked back in on this thread and all of the post-crash comments (and several pre-crash comments that said it could be possible) are deleted. That's not very transparent!

if only the comments were on the blockchain 🤔

Good news, there's a Web 2.0 solution to look at the deleted comments:

web.archive.org

Celsius is insolvent, please get your funds out now

The leading community for cryptocurrency news, discussion, and analysis.

Yes but imagine it was on Web 3.0, think of all the money you could be making!

Screenshot_20220616-121055_Samsung_Internet.jpg

😂

Unddit

Oct 25, 2017
Nevermind the fact that the amount of commercial paper Tether were claiming to hold at one point last year amounted to approx. 3% of the total market for commercial paper in the United States. That would have placed them among financial juggernauts like JP Morgan, Blackstone and the like - somewhat difficult to believe for a company that major banks won't even deal with. They've since wound back their alleged holdings on that front, but they still refuse to provide anything other than attestations.

The running speculation among the Tether-naysayers has been that the comm paper in question may constitute short term loans between related entities within the Tether group of companies (inc. Bitfinance) - backed by BTC. They purchase the BTC using USDT printed out of thin air, creating artificial demand pressure, hence raising the price of BTC, hence over-collateralising the inter-party loans, hence enabling them to write more loans. And that's how you create a giant circular monopoly-money printing machine.

Tether might be totally legitimate, but they sure don't do a good job of reassuring everybody.

And just a reminder of how interlinked Tether is to the system. USDT is not just a provider of liquidity, Tether has also been handing out BTC-collateralised loans left and right:

www.coindesk.com

Tether Has Loaned $1B to Celsius Network: Report

The stablecoin issuer has loaned billions of dollars to crypto companies, according to a Bloomberg investigation.

Thanks for this. It's amazing how brazen it all is.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, here it is how is it. There are three types of cryptobros:
  • Swindlers and con-men that know the whole thing is built on a pit of sand but will keep dancing until the whole thing breaks.
  • Libertarians that believe that financial regulations and government oversight are a conspiracy by the ((((((world's elite)))))).
  • Cult members similar that what you find in traditional pyramidal and MLM schemes.
Now, there are other crypto users that are not cryptobros since they don't usually promote the concept to such extreme levels:
  • Money launderers and tax evaders.
  • Russian oligarchs and their equivalent in other countries.
  • Drug traffickers and other black market dealers.
  • Uneducated people that don't know what unregulated risk investments entails.
  • Regular people that dip their toes with gambling money to see if they can make a quick buck.
Out of those, only the black market dealers, tax evaders and oligarchs use it as an actual currency.

Did I got it right?

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
  • Swindlers and con-men that know the whole thing is built on a pit of sand but will keep dancing until the whole thing breaks.
  • Libertarians that believe that financial regulations and government oversights are a conspiracy by the ((((((world's elite)))))).
  • Cult members similar that what you find in traditional pyramidal and MLM schemes.
Now, there are other crypto users that are not cryptobros since they don't usually promote the concept to such extreme levels:
  • Drug traffickers and black market dealers.
  • Regular people that dip their toes with gambling money to see if they can make a quick buck.
Did I got it right?

Sounds right. There's regular people who think they're just doing a regular investments too I think. i.e. not gambling in their eyes.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Added another category.

I'd say there's people like Andreessen and Musk who poured a bunch of money into crypto and need the whole thing to stay afloat.
Either until they can cash out themselves or they really believe they're on the cusp of something big.
And I'm sure their ego won't let them admit they misled people and investors.

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
I doubt Musk has any significant exposure, for all his raving and ranting he is a smart guy. Notice how he sold Tesla stock near peak.

Regarding USDT, just checked and marketcap is down a further $3B. It has now lost like $13B since the Luna thing went boom. So seems like a lot of concerned investors are silently cashing out even though Bitcoin itself is somewhat holding on. Wonder at what point the people running the Tether show will just say screw it and flee with the rest of the reserves, instead of diluting them to pay al those cashing out.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Another one

Babel Finance, the Asia-based crypto financial services firm, suspended client withdrawals five days after a similar move by Celsius triggered a fresh bout of turbulence in crypto markets. From a report: "Due to the current situation, Babel Finance is facing unusual liquidity pressures," Babel said in a notice on its website on Friday. "During this period, redemptions and withdrawals from Babel Finance products will be temporarily suspended." A spokesperson for Babel said it's taking action to best protect the interests of clients. The firm promised a follow-up announcement once normal service has resumed.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
  • Libertarians that believe that financial regulations and government oversight are a conspiracy by the ((((((world's elite)))))).
Out of those, only the black market dealers, tax evaders and oligarchs use it as an actual currency.

Did I got it right?

I would add ransom and blackmail victims, also a major component of the people who use it as currency. It's such a bad currency a big portion of the people who use it are forced to.

I think with the regular people it's just greed that has robbed them of their faculties. People who signed up for Luna and Celsius ignored all of the obvious signs it was too good to be true because they were promised and wanted to believe in impossible returns. I guess that's the same weakness that makes people fall for pyramid schemes. There's that saying, "You can't cheat an honest man."

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Convinced this is what caused the crash a few weeks ago everyone was like what are we doing here

Whenever groups start using their own in group person lingo regarding business basics it will always be a scam.

Did I got it right?

Irony even though they were the first to fall on the sword with law enforcement, I respect black market dealers moral implications aside. Here's a group that's literally persecuted not in a weird libertarian hypothetical, believes in a truly free market (lol), and were using it as an ends to a means (aka cashing out to dollars) and didn't actually have this weird cult view on crypto.

No joke, they have unfairly suffered the most even though arguably they've done the least harm*. At least Silk Road wasn't about turning people into scumbags by pushing capitalists, it let a small group of scumbags be scumbags freely!

*only because the MLM aspect is going to fuck over millions of people who truly didn't know any better or had their government *ahem* play the long game in the crypto market.

Last edited:

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm irrationally angry that I even understand those sentences

That rings true with me.

Somehow that makes sense to me, but the equally nonsense stuff about cricket is baffling, crypto bros rubbed off too much on us from all these dumb ass headlines and news stories even.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Comes from this memetastic NFT tweet, that was so bonkers, people ran with it.

Basically, it's just dumb slang for the process of moving tokens around, resulting in a minted NFT.

Know Your Meme link.
So, wait, I had seen this before due to the Master Shake version, but.. am I to understand that the original post isn't a goof? I had previously thought it was taking the piss at all the nonsense crypto speak but was the OP serious?

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't eth supposed to be merging to fix a split or something too.

And I saw Musk being sued for 258b over doge. What a time to be alive.

He seems busy with Hard Drive, I wonder if he even noticed the lawsuit.
If crypto falling takes him down a few notches a least that'd be great early Xmas present.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
So, wait, I had seen this before due to the Master Shake version, but.. am I to understand that the original post isn't a goof? I had previously thought it was taking the piss at all the nonsense crypto speak but was the OP serious?
Yes,
its basically saying. "If you own this other NFT, you can get three other nfts using this "juice". It doesn't consume your original NFT", and you only need 1 nft to do it, you don't need three nfts!"

But nft weirdos like their dumb names and for some reason called the stuff slurp juice

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Yes,
its basically saying. "If you own this other NFT, you can get three other nfts using this "juice". It doesn't consume your original NFT", and you only need 1 nft to do it, you don't need three nfts!"

But nft weirdos like their dumb names and for some reason called the stuff slurp juice
Ok but what is the juice that you're not using to get the 3 other NFTs? Another term for gas? You can trade one NFT for 3 more without using gas or paying a fee and you also get to keep the original NFT?

Thank you for trying to explain this lmao

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yes,

This shit gives me an aneurysm a la "if it wasn't for my horse, I never would have spent that year in college"

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying watching this planet killing scam start coming apart.

Had no idea Marc Andreessen is involved in this.

I'm not sure if they know what they're selling?

I only knew from mentions on Pivot podcast, and then Kara Swisher's interview with someone from Andreesen Horowitz this week. From the interview on Sway, the Andreesseen Horrowitz venture investments don't seem *that significant* and they seem to be more on Web3-adjacent technology less so on the scammy coins (at least, that's the impression the guest gave as he pretty much trashed things like Terra, etc).

But to some extent, it makes a lot of sense. The whole concept of VC is that these firms are taking a chance financially on something that's a ... "venture"

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Did I got it right?

I think there's also a lot of, just, financially insecure people who get in at the bottom but have tricked themselves or been tricked into thinking it's going to pay off. These are probably the "cult members you find in traditional MLM/pyramids," but I think there's a level of blame but also victimization there. They're financially insecure and looking for any way to get a little bit of security, they buy in themselves, and then because they're just kinda ignorant of financial systems because they've been locked out from traditional financial systems in the past, they start to buy the hype and then start to sell the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.