• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give him the free blu-ray player. Tetris Effect seems obvious. Anything "blockbuster" would require you teach him what an analog stick is.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
If he hasn't played since testris it might be super hard for him to use twin sticks. I recommend Diablo 3.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Don't listen to these fools, don't give your dad a PS4 if he isn't going to use it, I think what you proposed is entirely fair.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I think you should just give your Dad the PS4 and call it a day.
This seems to be a popular sentiment, but I feel like people don't get it.

OP wants to give the PS4 to his dad, but he wants him to use it. Not in the sense of "if he's not going to use it then I'm better off getting $80 for it on Craigslist." Instead in the sense that gaming is an important and meaningful hobby for OP and he wants to make a "deal" with his dad that will give him a "hook" into gaming that his dad will enjoy and that OP can share with him hopefully for years to come.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
The Witness.

Certainly nothing where he has to fight using dual analogs unless he really wants to play one of those games.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I think all the people saying to just give it to him are kind of missing the point. The problem is OP doesn't love their dad enough to give it to him, they probably just want to make sure he'll use it instead of letting it collect dust. He could give it to some other relative or a friend instead.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Some people here really have no Idea what it's like for non gamers, do you?

The amount of suggestions that, even on the easiest settings, require a basic knowledge of gaming language to understand what is possible and what to do.

Other than something like Tetris effect, I would suggest something from the telltale series. Extremely simple game design and will help acclimatise him to the button locations, all while being a choose your own direction story to keep him engaged.

Feb 15, 2019
Have him play Dream Daddy.

On a more serious note just have him play Tetris Effect. Or a type of game where you can make your own choices with pretty much no way to fail the game. Wait that's also just Dream Daddy again.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Thats easy
Bloodborne
Spiderman i think is the perfect for the masses videogame.

Although my mum struggled with Gris controls, so dunno what to say you.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I would say that Ideally you would want him to beat a game that will compel him to play more games.

My mum (who's 55 years old) beat Uncharted 4 last year after my sister and I chipped in to get her a PS4. She was really blown away by the graphics and went on to play some of the prior Uncharted games too.

I think it's a good introduction, since it's got a fair set of accessibility features. It'll aim for you if you want it to, easy mode drastically lowers the difficulty, and so forth. My mum can't complete the tutorial in Plants Vs Zombies, but she beat Uncharted 4, and that really blew me away to be honest.

The only caveat I would say, is it sets very high expectations. After playing Uncharted 4, there's very few games that she's both interested in, are accessible, and feature similar quality. She could play something like TLOU, but zombies and horror aren't really her thing. Your Dad might be different, so he might move from Uncharted, to TLOU and games like Tomb Raider and Assassins Creed. All of those have great accessibility and that third person action style game is a genre that's well catered for so it gives them a selection of games to look forward to each year.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The Witness is the perfect game to reintroduce him to gaming. He can learn the controls and explore at his own pace and the puzzles are stimulating enough to keep people interested.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't think the Witness is the right answer. Just speaking from personal experience but my wife got extremely frustrated with the first person controls and gave up after 10 minutes or so.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
To make room for my PS5, I am giving my PS4 away to my Dad. He is 55 years old and hasn't played a game since Tetris on the game boy.

He doesn't have any knowledge of games, but was pretty impressed when he saw me playing the Witcher 3 a couple of years ago.

He has agreed to play (at least) one game to completion.
1. Accessible, most likely with a God mode or At least a very easy mode.
2. Not too long. Perhaps a 10-15 hour game tops.
3. Probably a decent standard of graphical fidelity to demonstrate a (relatively) modern experience.
4. No genre restrictions, but puzzle games might be good.

I also have a PSVR, so that is an option.

thanks for the recommendation.
COD MW 2019 campaign. The graphics and realism will blown him away, and it's can be completed in 6-8 hours.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Just load your PS4 with some great games and hand it over. Let him explore and decide what he likes.

What are you planning to do if he doesn't complete a game? Take it away? Jeez, it's just video games. Let the man play however he wants or not.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Lol, some of y'all. Like I read the same op and knew immediately that they're not super serious with the qualifications. It sounds like the dad agreed and it was probably a cute father son moment where dad was like alright I'll play one game all the way. jfc

*edit: lol as bad as showing a girl how far gaming has come, come on...

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My dad played Limbo through to completion on the PS3. He tried to play LA Noire, but walking around in 3D games via dual stick control schemes was just too big of a hurdle.