• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think “Overwatch 2” will be?

• A direct sequel that will replace the original Overwatch

Votes: 200 38.0%
  • A spin-off of sorts that will co-exist with the original Overwatch

Votes: 327 62.0%

• Total voters

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I think the ability to resell similar themed cosmetics to the same player will be enticing enough to them to make a replacement game. Don't remember Blizzard ever doing a new entry in a franchise meant to coexist with the previous one either, though they do extend support for their games usually.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My assumption from the rumors is it's a storycampain and my blind guess is that when it launches the base game will go f2p.

It doesn't make sense for a direct sequel while the main game is still healthy and in the grand scheme for things, still young (content is getting pumped out regularly).

Having something completely separate also doesn't write make sense as it could split the player base. So it seems like some kind of expansion.

May 4, 2018
It makes no sense to release a PvP update mode, unless they're so desperate for money that they want the entire fanbase to rebuy the game they're already playing. A sane company with a megahit wouldn't risk fracturing their player base like this.

But this is 2019 Blizzard. I'm giving it a 50/50 chance.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
my guess still stands at pve xpack, with destiny gone, it leaves activision with a bit of a hole too fill. honestly overwatch filling that hole is way more interesting (gameplay wise), than destiny ever was too me.

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
Seeing them continue to develop the current Overwatch its a add-on of sorts or a OW 2.0 I doubt it'll be a full sequel.

Also thinking of a L4D style OW game with the power of Workshop could make for some interesting things.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume it would be for next gen consoles, with updated PVP and new PVE.

Jun 4, 2019
If Overwatch 2 is going to focus on PvE, it's probably going to be very similar in structure to Destiny. Makes a ton of sense considering the Destiny-shaped hole in Activision's portfolio, plus the fact that Blizzard is far more capable of executing on the Action MMO vision that Destiny has sought. ALSO there's the fact that Overwatch was born out of a failed MMO attempt. Everything comes full circle.

But I bet they keep the PvP separate, or merge the two and let you buy them separately. Overwatch raids would be something else.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact everyone at the company calls it Overwatch 2 means it's meant to replace the original.

If it was a companion series they would call it a spin off or a new game in the series right off the bat.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The fact everyone at the company calls it Overwatch 2 means it's meant to replace the original.

If it was a companion series they would call it a spin off or a new game in the series right off the bat.
The issue is that between the description of the game & the constant support of Overwatch, if it'll get replaced this soon is uncertain.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
"It's too soon" doesnt make much sense to me. Blizzcon 2019 reveal means it aint coming til at least the back half of 2020. 4ish years is fast for Blizzard but not particularly so for literally anyone else. And hell, they can easily drop a simple teaser now and then do a full reveal at Blizzcon 2020 with a release date into 2021, at which point "too soon" could well be "too late" to keep the OW momentum rolling.

And of course, this assumes it's a full replacement for OW and not some kind of expansion or add-on style thing.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
"It's too soon" doesnt make much sense to me. Blizzcon 2019 reveal means it aint coming til at least the back half of 2020. 4ish years is fast for Blizzard but not particularly so for literally anyone else. And hell, they can easily drop a simple teaser now and then do a full reveal at Blizzcon 2020 with a release date into 2021, at which point "too soon" could well be "too late" to keep the OW momentum rolling.

And of course, this assumes it's a full replacement for OW and not some kind of expansion or add-on style thing.
But by then, the 6th hero in their Support/Tank wave would either be almost out or just recently released.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much in the companion/expansion camp, I can't see them making a sequel when they've already confirmed that a grip of heroes are in development for the current game. However, it would be hilarious if this was a full blown Overwatch 2 that takes place during the Omnic Crisis, ensuring the that the timeline never moves forward.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It sounds like an accompaniment that will help move the Overwatch world's story forward while also providing new opportunities for adding content to the original Overwatch.
Yeah, this. I expect them to proposition it like a WoW expansion - a ~$40 addition to the base game.

Also based on totally nothing, I'm expecting Raids and gameplay affecting loot that they can cram into the lootboxes (tho relegated to the PVE modes).

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I cannot see it replacing the main game.

PvE side game that is not considered a sequel or spinoff, it just runs alongside it. Different team too I bet.

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
Releasing a sequel this early isn't Blizzards MO. A PvE centric off-shoot sounds most likely. Overwatch has a rich world and lore that isn't fully utilized due to it's PvP game modes.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
But by then, the 6th hero in their Support/Tank wave would either be almost out or just recently released.
If OW2 is a full-on replacement for OW1, something about their current scheduling has to change(or it's got to be slated for 2nd half of 2021 or later, in which case Blizzcon 2019 seems like a weird time for a reveal). Because with the current "confirmed" heroes in the pipeline and the Overwatch League, there isnt a "free" time to release it aside from fall 2021. And I dont see them dropping OW2 and then either continuing to update OW1 or trying to keep the OWL running on OW1. As soon as OW2 hits they need everyone hyped to get in on it and not sitting on OW1.

And this is why I'm in the "OW2 is a PvE addon/expansion/spinoff for Overwatch" camp until we learn more, because based on what Blizzard has out there atm there just isnt a place for OW2 to fit into their current plans, and any attempt to keep both games running concurrently would just doom OW2.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If OW2 is a full-on replacement for OW1, something about their current scheduling has to change(or it's got to be slated for 2nd half of 2021 or later, in which case Blizzcon 2019 seems like a weird time for a reveal). Because with the current "confirmed" heroes in the pipeline and the Overwatch League, there isnt a "free" time to release it aside from fall 2021. And I dont see them dropping OW2 and then either continuing to update OW1 or trying to keep the OWL running on OW1. As soon as OW2 hits they need everyone hyped to get in on it and not sitting on OW1.

And this is why I'm in the "OW2 is a PvE addon/expansion/spinoff for Overwatch" camp until we learn more, because based on what Blizzard has out there atm there just isnt a place for OW2 to fit into their current plans, and any attempt to keep both games running concurrently would just doom OW2.
That's pretty much the other reason why I don't think this will directly replace Overwatch. Their current character pipeline as well as the Overwatch League would be thown into disarray.