• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Who's with me?

Taking down the Heretic Leader in Halo 2, boarding the gravity throne of the Prophet of Regret and punching him to death, beating the hell out of Tartarus at the end of Halo 2. Halo 3 even let you fight 343 Guilty Spark. Then there's the Scarabs. Halo 5 had Warden Eternal, although I'm not sure if I ever once enjoyed fighting that particular boss. There may be more instances of boss fights that I'm missing.

But bring them back! Halo 5 really missed an opportunity with the way Jul M'dama was quickly killed in a cutscene the moment you reach him. Such a hyped up character from Halo 4's Spartan Ops, and then he just gets discarded like trash.

Halo Infinite has real potential when it comes to potential boss fights.
HW2-Atriox-05.jpg

You've got the Banished showing up, with Atriox likely leading them. It would be nice to have a face to face confrontation with him at some point, even if it doesn't end in his death.

kyle-hefley-grunt-goblin-01.jpg

Grunt Goblins were BY FAR the coolest thing to come out of Halo 5. It would be a travesty not to see them return, and I think they would make a fantastic sort of miniboss moment from time to time throughout the campaign.

H5G-MythicMgalekgolo.png

Elder Hunters/higher Hunter ranks would be a really nice addition to the Halo Infinite campaign... Or even:

03064c8dd3462f2911491f345ba0df80.png

HW2_Goliath_2.png

The Goliath form of the Lekgolo from Halo Wars 2. These would be fantastic, especially as a counter towards the end of a Scorpion tank based mission. I can just picture one of these monsters coming at you like a gorilla, ready to smash your tank into pieces!

There's also the possibility of the return of the Flood, and new forms that could serve as bosses, like the scrapped Juggernauts from Halo 2. The pure forms in Halo 2 show that the Flood are ever evolving new ways to take you down. I can't even begin to imagine how disgusting the Flood will likely look in next generation graphics.

Lastly,

Scarabs. Or Locusts. Basically any kind of giant Covenant mechs that are hell-bent on destroying you, something that will make you stop in your tracks and go "Wait a minute.. I better think before I rush out against this thing!"

I want these things to feel as ruthless and erratic as the Guardians from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

What do you guys think? Are you into a good boss fight mixed in with your Halo or is it not for you?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Hunters are the only "bosses" I'm interested in.

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely need to expand on the scarab battles, with multiple open ended ways to attack and bring them down. I like how they would organically be part of the level. Not the total focus, just a big part of it that changes how you approach a skirmish.

Was never a huge fan of the "ok now it's time for a boss" in the later games, especially the warden, where it completely stops the flow of the level.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
No bullet sponges like Tartarus. Halo is best suited for "puzzle bosses" where the player has to figure out a weak point. So basically expand on the Scarab. Those were awesome in Halo 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Hunters and scarab, awesome.

Guilty Spark -> So fucking bad.

Non Scarab Bosses in h2 were pretty bad as well, imo. It's kinda amazing to me the bungie that designs those could go on and design the sweet raid bosses in destiny 2

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Fuck no. The warden eternal is the single worst thing ever put into a video game in the last decade. 343 should be embarrassed and ashamed.

Lork

Oct 25, 2017
Then there's the Scarabs.
These were the only boss fights in Halo that were ever worth a damn. Even then, while they were very clearly a great idea they very badly needed to be expanded upon (more functional, breakable parts, tougher defenses, more/any variety in what you'd find on each one). Instead they just repeated them verbatim several times throughout Halo 3 and ODST and then unceremoniously dropped the whole concept afterwards. What a shame.

Don't think you'll find much support for your "let's bring back the heretic leader/Tartarus style fights" crusade though. They were tolerable, that's the best I can say for them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Historically, the bossfights in Halo - that is, fights with singular powerful enemies - have been bad. Tartarus, bad. Guilty Spark, bad. Didact was more of a combat arena than a boss per se, but still, not great. And I think I speak for everybody when I say I don't want a repeat of the Warden Eternal. What's been good was stuff like the Scarab battles in 3. Large-scale encounters with dynamic enemies centered around some setpiece baddies. More of those, I'll take. Goblins would be great in that context. Maybe even have boss-esque figures stomping around that you need to avoid in those larger scale battles. But a singular boss-battle figure... no, thanks. I'm good.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Halo's combat loop is not really that friendly to boss fights. Halo 3 got it right by ratcheting up the scale and including tons of vehicles and enemies in very large and entertaining combat encounters. Just firing away at a single target has never worked well with Halo's weapon and gameplay sandbox.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay with none. Usually they have to have up with some wack reason why the enemy is a bullet sponge.

Sometimes, things like the Scarab or something that requires multiple stages is fun. But if you're just plowing magazine after magazine into a thing, nah.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Urban-Firefight-Warden.jpg

I actually liked the Warden in Halo 5. The issue was that it was repetitious and the final fight with him was kinda BS on higher difficulties.
It's so funny to see everyone skip his ass lol.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
The best "boss battle" in the Halo series was the fight to destroy the Pillar of Autumn's power reactor at the end of Halo 1. It was a lot more tense and exciting than the series' attempts at more traditional boss fights in 2 and 3. Having to accomplish an objective while dealing with constant pressure from regular enemies plays much better into Halo's gameplay strengths than singular tough enemies.

Scarabs work well as challenges for that same reason. The Scarab itself isn't the huge threat as much as it is a cool setpiece for traditional Halo gameplay that mixes foot combat and vehicles.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Boss fights have almost universally sucked in Halo. This is absolutely not the direction I want them going.

Want to throw in a unique commander type enemy every now and then? Great. But actual bosses? Please no. Halo's best moments are the emergent combat moments you find yourself in with all the typical adversaries while you're trying to accomplish something.

Last edited:

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Halo works super well when it feels like you're in a war, which doesn't really lend itself to boss battles. Things like Scarabs or Hunters are integrated amongst the regular covenant troops which is how the series should approach it.

May 19, 2020
Yeah no new bosses in Halo, it will inevitably be "shoot the glowy weak point" or "bullet sponge because reasons". The Warden sucked and then you do the same sucky fight 4 more times.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There should just be a invincible, giant, buff Grunt that chases you around the entire game at a brisk but intimidatindly consistent pace.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Boss fights have almost universally sucked in Halo. This is absolutely not the direction I want them going.

Want to throw in a unique commander type enemy every now and then? Great. But actual bosses? Please no. Halo's best moments are the emergent combat moments you find yourself in with all they typical adversaries while you're trying to accomplish something.

This basically says everything I came here to say.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
No bullet sponges like Tartarus. Halo is best suited for "puzzle bosses" where the player has to figure out a weak point. So basically expand on the Scarab. Those were awesome in Halo 3.
Scarabs were the most fun if only because during co-op you could have someone in a hornet who could drop you off on top of the scarab. While they're shooting the outside you're on the inside fucking shit up, and after causing the detonation you run back to the top as your friend flies down for a last minute save as you both watch it explode. đź‘Ź

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Urban-Firefight-Warden.jpg

I actually liked the Warden in Halo 5. The issue was that it was repetitious and the final fight with him was kinda BS on higher difficulties.
It's so funny to see everyone skip his ass lol.

I played through Halo 5 on Legendary my first go. Don't know why. It was mistake, but I did. Those fights really made me regret it.

An invincible unit that can spawn in infinite enemies, can be only hurt from behind, can one shot you and nearly all the battles take place in open arenas with nearly no cover?

Absolute joke. Thank God you can order your teammates to run the opposite end of the map so he turns around.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Scarabs were the most fun if only because during co-op you could have someone in a hornet who could drop you off on top of the scarab. While they're shooting the outside you're on the inside fucking shit up, and after causing the detonation you run back to the top as your friend flies down for a last minute save as you both watch it explode. đź‘Ź
God the Hornets with no fall damage in The Covenant were incredible. I also want to give a big shout out to the ramp in The Ark that let me launch the Gauss Hog straight toward the Scarab. There are so many different ways you can take them down. That's what the series needs again.