• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• 👍

Votes: 408 90.5%
  • 👎

Votes: 43 9.5%

• Total voters

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like it a lot.
I like most (all?) of their projects that I've seen.
A bunch of really cool ones in Beijing.

Any buildings in real life with those kinds of green areas? I feel like i see those a lot in renders or maquettes but never in real life.
Here's a project they did in Beijing -

I think these things never looks as good as concept images, but they do have a history of using green spaces really well in their projects.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
I like it. Kinda reminds me of some of the buildings from that city at the start of killzone shadow fall

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Brutalism is the fucking worst. I don't understand how this style was ever considered a good idea, unless it was just cheap. Even then, is it worth destroying the appearance of your city for a century?
Brutalism can be good, the challenge with it is it's very in your face about it's utility (perceived) and material choice, so the design itself has to be well thought or it's just gonna be bulky horrific nightmare fuel.

Check out some of these examples here, they're pretty neat IMO

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/10-iconic-examples-of-brutalist-architecture

Habitat 67, Montreal
VVjrdGALx3u5ssJrWGgHiC-970-80.jpg.webp

Western City Gate, Belgrade
RBn6CEDqnQhx5NUHMKDyMj-970-80.jpg.webp

SESC Pompeia, Sao Paulo
9yqy2hMkFwRbKHVM9phHQ-970-80.jpg.webp

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Eh it looks like any of a dozen buildings in Hangzhou, they've been building in this style for a decade

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brutalism can be good, the challenge with it is it's very in your face about it's utility (perceived) and material choice, so the design itself has to be well thought or it's just gonna be bulky horrific nightmare fuel.

Check out some of these examples here, they're pretty neat IMO

https://www.creativebloq.com/features/10-iconic-examples-of-brutalist-architecture

Habitat 67, Montreal
VVjrdGALx3u5ssJrWGgHiC-970-80.jpg.webp

Western City Gate, Belgrade
RBn6CEDqnQhx5NUHMKDyMj-970-80.jpg.webp

SESC Pompeia, Sao Paulo
9yqy2hMkFwRbKHVM9phHQ-970-80.jpg.webp

Agreed, these are much more interesting than most of the brutalism that I've seen, which is are just rectangular concrete buildings.

nonuser

Oct 27, 2017
I like it a lot.
I like most (all?) of their projects that I've seen.
A bunch of really cool ones in Beijing.

Here's a project they did in Beijing -

I think these things never looks as good as concept images, but they do have a history of using green spaces really well in their projects.

Woah, did they wait a clear day to take that, lol. Honestly in my brief stay in Beijing, the only clear days were the super windy ones. I've actually be around there, and it looks pretty good especially at night.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like this Shenzhen building even as a Brutalist hipster.

5-70.jpg

Glad to see Habitat 67 posted. I love green architecture in general.

boscoverticale.jpg

Not Brutalist or uh, whatever the Shenzen building style is called, geometric futurism? This is the "Vertical Forest" in Milan.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really cool. Don't love the aerial views that make it look like a melting base, that might be too close to home in a couple decades, but the ground/eye-level views are amazing.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It reminds me of the Numbani map from Overwatch, like "this is the typical kind of utopian future 90s kids envision". Lots of curves, glass and green.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I really like all the green space, but wonder how accessible it is. Like, will anyone be able to enjoy it?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I like this Shenzhen building even as a Brutalist hipster.

5-70.jpg

Glad to see Habitat 67 posted. I love green architecture in general.

boscoverticale.jpg

Not Brutalist or uh, whatever the Shenzen building style is called, geometric futurism? This is the "Vertical Forest" in Milan.
I didn't know that overlapped prism style had a name, makes sense though, I've seen it used a couple times before. Sustainable architecture is the future for sure, specifically infrastructure and public areas IMO.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of, is there a hot or not dot com for architecture

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Agreed, these are much more interesting than most of the brutalism that I've seen, which is are just rectangular concrete buildings.
More often than not it was chosen as an excuse to reduce costs. Or it was used to give an imposing air or to intimidate passerby, which I believe a disservice to the style which was supposed to be about honesty and showcasing concrete as a beautiful material.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate that the podium appears to be public space but the rest is trash.

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brutalism is the fucking worst. I don't understand how this style was ever considered a good idea, unless it was just cheap. Even then, is it worth destroying the appearance of your city for a century?
Concrete was prevalent everywhere back in the day. Now we know it is an incredibly environmentally-unfriendly material - that one aspect of brutalism will likely keep it from ever coming back, unless someone decides to make an environmentally sound substitute of concrete.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

my college library is supposed to be a brutalist representation of the flagship building 20 feet away :)

Lauinger_Library.jpg

if the person taking the above picture turns 90 degrees to their right, they see this:

170626_healyhall_pick-113_0-1-1024x381.jpg

XFqHtXEh.jpg

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Woah, did they wait a clear day to take that, lol. Honestly in my brief stay in Beijing, the only clear days were the super windy ones. I've actually be around there, and it looks pretty good especially at night.
If you go by real estate hype reels, Beijing has the best air quality in the world lol.
But yeah, Beijing has shitty air quality and shitty weather but it teases you with handful a days a year when it's super nice.
I'm sure they are all like black Friday in retail for the people making those kind of videos.

The Slothful

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the shorter tower is kidnapping the taller tower by throwing a bag over it. Perhaps the architect designed it as a warning for all skyscrapers to be wary of their surroundings, lest they end up as another victim to the illicit skyscraper smuggling trade.

Tall tale aside, I like it.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much of anything about architecture, but I think it looks great. The green and open first floor makes it much more appealing than a gigantic building usually is.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks like something from Final Fantasy.

Looks amazing to me, like a mix of a steppe

no why

There is nothing that reminds you you're under the heel of the government than Boston's brutalist city hall and all of those buildings around New England built in the 60s/70s.

0FuxJ0.png

I can't think of any theme that captures systemic racism more than fucking brutalist police HQs from the 70s.

just these towering concrete monstrosities that turn any blue sky gray

I don't associate brutalism with racism - I think that building looks amazing.

LqOAwPx.png

lol, love working in Blade Runner to the concept art. So future. 😎

blade-runner-lead-e1508516454360.jpg

Nice catch!

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
yST0ius.jpg

I don't understand all of these meandering walkways to nowhere amongst the green space. Unless they're jogging paths or something, who is ever going to use them? The rendering shows people milling around them, but they're just doing nothing? Like who is going to say "Hey meet me on the third-and-a-half floor walkway during lunch and we'll just chill"?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand all of these meandering walkways to nowhere amongst the green space. Unless they're jogging paths or something, who is ever going to use them? The rendering shows people milling around them, but they're just doing nothing? Like who is going to say "Hey meet me on the third-and-a-half floor walkway during lunch and we'll just chill"?
Public spaces. Believe it or not, in the Before Times people used to do this. This being China I expect old people playing mahjong and doing tai chi.

1_new_york_city_union_square_2010.JPG

chinese-elderly-people-play-mahjong-in-a-public-park-in-shanghai-on-picture-id846789074

Check out my mans going for shousangen + honitsu. The mad lad.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Public spaces. Believe it or not, in the Before Times people used to do this. This being China I expect old people playing mahjong and doing tai chi.

1_new_york_city_union_square_2010.JPG

chinese-elderly-people-play-mahjong-in-a-public-park-in-shanghai-on-picture-id846789074

Check out my mans going for shousangen + honitsu. The mad lad.
My point was more of why make your greenspace all these thin little pathways layered on top of each other rather than one big one? Who has room for anything more than mallwalking on those pathways?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My point was more of why make your greenspace all these thin little pathways layered on top of each other rather than one big one? Who has room for anything more than mallwalking on those pathways?
Looking around briefly it looks like the current trend. Green walkways and layers.

EUh7GUxX0AAxGR0

There might be some structural component to the layers I'm not privy to. Maybe an anti-flooding thing?

Bp_bridge.JPG

Your comment about mallwalking makes me think of our High Line park, which is, as you say, primarily for walkers and is not really an activity space.

AHigh_Line_Park%2C_Section_1a.jpg

en.wikipedia.org

High Line - Wikipedia