• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I highly recommend the second edition Chronicles of Darkness (formerly New World of Darkness games) Mage and Changeling especially were tweeked into truly superior versions of the game.

I also suggest near any game Powered by the Apocalypse game system. Especially Monster of the Week and Worlds in Peril.

gyrspike

Jan 18, 2018
Anything using the Savage Worlds or Gumshoe systems.

Savage Worlds is great for action packed games without being too heavy on the crunch. Deadlands(weird west), East Texas University(think college life mixed with magic and horror), and Solomon Kane(low magic dark fantasy), though Solomon Kane I think is out of print.

Gumshoe system games are great for investigation focused settings with quick brutal combat. Ashen Stars(sci-fi), Time watch(timecops), and Fear Itself(modern horror) are the standouts for me.

And one more since you mentioned Indies is Mothership, which is Indie take on Sci-fi action/horror in the vein of Aliens. It's available for Pay what you want on DriveThruRPG currently.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Here's another recommendation for Call of Cthulhu, which combines a relatively straight-forward rules system with a solid four decades of content and development. The rules sytem has changed very slightly over time so you could take the current edition of the game and run adventures - many of them critically acclaimed - written decades ago without much difficulty. That said, the current content has been top notch across the board so you already have a wealth of options - both in terms of play settings and ready-to-play adventures - readily available.

Chaosium has an excellent quick start rules booklet available as a free download. That one PDF will give you all the rules you need to get started with the system plus an introductory adventure to run along with character sheets. With those rules alone you could pick up other published adventures - I can certainly recommend Doors to Darkness - and run with those without needing to invest any any of the more elaborate rules volumes. There are also several excellent solo adventures available; not the same as playing with a group, of course, but they're a good way to get a handle on the game system.

I suggest snagging the free PDFs of the quick-start rules and the solo advenure Alone Against The Flames; disregard the $5 PDF price, if you look in the body of the link you'll find the full module available as a free download. Give that a shot and see how you like the system and the setting - learning the rules, creating a character, and playing through the adventure is a solid way to spend a quiet evening and should let you know if you want to delve further into the system. Alternately, if you'd prefer to jump in with print versions of everything discussed here the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set has the rules, Alone Against The Flames, and another module ready to go along with dice, character sheets, and handouts for $25. It's a bargain for what you get!

As for the setting itself, Call of Cthulhu is a classic of investigative roleplaying based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Unlike most RPGs, rather than getting stronger your characters tend to deteriorate as they try - and often fail - to come to terms with the cosmic horrors they find themselves up against. However, that's not the only way to play CoC, with their Pulp Cthulhu line giving characters a more heroic, two-fisted approach to battling the horror. And, while many of the scenarios are set in the 1920s and are steeped in historical detail, CoC can be adapted for any number of time periods ranging from the Dark Ages to the Victorian era and up to the modern day itself. I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Delta Green variant of CoC - originally a series of supplements for earlier editions of the game and now available as a seperate, if similar, RPG system, which adds a sort of mix of government conspiracy and the X-Files to the concept. It's all top notch.

SafeTScissors

May 1, 2020
If you're up for a more "Rule of Cool" style system where the rules are streamlined and the PCs have a lot of impact on how their rolls end up, I'd look into Fate Core. It has a super unique character creation system that builds connections between the characters before they start adventuring, and it lends itself super well to more narrative, story focused games. It's also ridiculously easy to port whatever setting you want into the system, which is a big plus in my book.

They have a really great SRD available online that goes over all of the rules, and it even has some commentary from actual GMs on how they run their games. It's well worth a read through if you have some free time.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
For a brand new indie, check out Teeth at teethrpg.itch.io, made by Jim Rossignol and Marsh Davies, who describe it as something akin to 'Jane Austen's STALKER; or perhaps Blackadder meets The Witcher'. Full release is later this year, with two stand-alone modules available now, The Night Of The Hogmen, and Blood Cotillion.

Last edited:

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Mörk Borg and Troika

Two of the best OSR style games for a while and both very supported by third party content.

Hasinaw

Apr 21, 2021
For a more obscure tabletop RPG, I would recommend Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Roleplay.

It's a Japanese game that puts a lot of focus on travel and exploration, set in a fantasy world. The art is nice, the systems aren't particularly complicated, and the tone it tries to set is very calm and pleasant.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Exalted and Rifts

Exalted for the freedom and coolest beats everything
Rifts because it's everything and the kitchen sink

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
been curious about this myself, there some really great suggestions here. gonna try to check some out myself!

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
As for the setting itself, Call of Cthulhu is a classic of investigative roleplaying based on H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Unlike most RPGs, rather than getting stronger your characters tend to deteriorate as they try - and often fail - to come to terms with the cosmic horrors they find themselves up against. However, that's not the only way to play CoC, with their Pulp Cthulhu line giving characters a more heroic, two-fisted approach to battling the horror. And, while many of the scenarios are set in the 1920s and are steeped in historical detail, CoC can be adapted for any number of time periods ranging from the Dark Ages to the Victorian era and up to the modern day itself. I can also wholeheartedly recommend the Delta Green variant of CoC - originally a series of supplements for earlier editions of the game and now available as a seperate, if similar, RPG system, which adds a sort of mix of government conspiracy and the X-Files to the concept. It's all top notch.

Pulp Cthulhu is definitely a good alternative if classic CoC is a too "slow" for your players. Running the Two Headed Serpent campaign at the moment. Having a blast so far.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I don't play tabletop RPGs but I almost backed A World of Dew when it was on Kickstarter years ago and still want to eventually buy a physical copy of it. It's currently on DriveThruRPG, along with its expansion Sound of Water.
It has always sounded really good to me and I've never really seen many people say negative things about it. Here's the description on DTR and a review from that site:
"A World of Dew is a samurai noir game inspired by Japanese chambara films like The Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, and Memoirs of a Geisha. You play characters that can be dastardly yakuza, cunning geisha, jaded police detectives, or gaijin smugglers in noir cities with rain slicked streets and bodies floating in the gutter.
The storytelling system you use is fast, with a razor sharp wit, and can kill just as quickly as ronin can draw his sword or the gaijin can shoot you. Your world is brought alive with a unique City Creation System where you design your own city in Old Japan and in doing so create your very own gritty and down in the gutter campaign."
A review from Jacob R on DTR:
"I was fortunate enough to be able to help fund the Kickstarter campaign for this book. It has exceeded my expectations. The basic premise is a variant of FATE set in Japan. The book builds on the system introduced in John Wick's Houses of the Blooded and Blood and Honor. AWOD is virtually identical to B&H, but the focus of the setting changes from Sengoku-era warring samurai clans to the later Meiji era. The players can come from any place on the social spectrum, from the lowliest criminal to a member of the Imperial Family. Character creation is quick, with each player also doing double duty and adding various features to the city that will serve as the stage for the drama. Players have a lot of options for their characters and their choice of city features can greatly empower even a two-bit gambler to rise to prominence. There is a magic system, but it's optional. This way you can use the system to play a straight historical or chanbara-type game. While the rules are simple there are several optional systems that add depth without complexity. This book is gorgeous. It's filled with period art from the Japanese masters that will make you weep. All in all, a great book. An hour's worth of reading gets you ready to run a game. Pick it up today."

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I bought Troika last week and really interested in trying it out with my D&D folks as a looser change of pace. Anyone had any luck? Things seem pretty squishy in a whimsical way, I wonder if my players will be less attached to their characters survival. No one wants to get stepped on accidentally by a giant, but if the chances are high that it can happen then does it get brushed off.