• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 7, 2019
Title says all. Star Wars is a nearly 45 years old, with that comes a fan base with a slew of different opinions all over the map. Share which film is your favorite and why. The only wrong answer you can give in this thread is one that belittles someone else's favorite. Let's focus on what we love.

My favorite Star Wars film is The Force Awakens. I grew up with the original movies and then saw the prequels as they released. I enjoyed them all but the franchise never grasped me until the midnight showing of TFA. It was a beat for beat soft reboot of A New Hope, but I loved the characters, aesthetic and fresh feeling of Star Wars moving forward. I'll never forget experiencing my dad cheer, laugh and cry as he sat next to me and got to relive the feelings he had when he saw A New Hope as a little kid.

What is your favorite Star Wars film? I'd love to hear it.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Phantom Menace
I liked the cg monsters, pod race and Amidala's costume

Last edited:

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
A New Hope

It's just cinematic perfection, and watching it at the cinema in 1977 blew my mind

Oct 25, 2017
México
Rogue One is absolutely my favorite film in the Star Wars series.

• It has the most emotional scene in the series. The scene with Jyn and his father (hologram)
  • It has the best space battle (above Scarif)
  • It has the best robot. K2 is way funnier and smarter than R2 and 3PO
  • It has the most beautiful cinematography of the series
  • It expands Episode IV in an extraordinary way. We get to know how the rebels got the plans for the Death Star
  • It has the best destruction scenes of the series (Death Star with a single reactor)
  • It has the best interpretation of Vader. Absolutely scary

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Jedi. It's a gorgeous movie with some of my favourite performances in the whole series. I absolutely adore the portrayal of Luke as a guy picking himself back up, dusting himself off and finding himself again. I love all the action scenes, I love the whole WW2 aesthetic they went for out in space, I love the way the three major plots all come together on Phasma's "Execute". I think the stretch from Rey and Kylo entering the throne room to Holdo's lightspeed manoeuvre is the best that Star Wars has ever been. I was so delighted by the direction Rian Johnson took with Rey's lineage, too. Just a wonderful movie.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Rogue One is absolutely my favorite film in the Star Wars series.

• It has the most emotional scene in the series. The scene with Jyn and his father (hologram)
  • It has the best space battle (above Scarif)
  • It has the best robot. K2 is way funnier and smarter than R2 and 3PO
  • It has the most beautiful cinematography of the series
  • It expands Episode IV in an extraordinary way. We get to know how the rebels got the plans for the Death Star
  • It has the best destruction scenes of the series (Death Star with a single reactor)
  • It has the best interpretation of Vader. Absolutely scary
Agreed.

The fight above Scarif always sends chills how awesome it is.

And so does the Vader scene. Finally a time we can see him in action. Btw while the original trilogy is ok, the special effects just don't cut it anymore. Let's just say this is the best representation of Vader in a modern film.

Oct 29, 2017
A new hope will always hold a special place in my heart. The classic character arcs, a farm boy dreaming of rising from his station, rescuing a princess, and saving the last bastion of hope in the galaxy. A charming rogue who finds his heart. A heroic sacrifice of a mentor. It's got such a good emotional core, and lets the audience take their first step into a larger world, telling a tight story in its own right and making the universe feel expansive and lived-in.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Return of the Jedi. Ewoks help destroy the Storm Troopers and Luke gets an environmentally friendly light saber. Oh, and the Emperor dies (or does he? Dun dun dunnn).

May 26, 2018
Empire Strikes Back.

It's Star Wars basically matured like fine wine — a bit like Last Jedi except every plot line, every thing it tries to do, is perfectly executed. After reading its early forms it's amazing how well it turned out, just layers and layers of refinement.

There is material as consistently well-done or as personally affecting as it in television (Clone Wars) but not in film.

Last edited:

Antoo

May 1, 2019
attack of the clones

-heartfelt romance
-jango so cool
-deep exploration of anakin
-gorgeous vistas
-crazy action with jedi
-anakin and padme are so cute
-yoda being badass
-naboo wedding
-decapitation
-palpatine being sneaky
-kissing!

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the Sith

Palpatine: Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
A New Hope. 5th favorite movie of all time. I would dare call it perfect if not for Luke's next-to-no reaction to his Uncle and Aunt's death other than "Well, that ball and chain is off, I can finally get out of here!"

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't even know how to summarize why I like TESB the best. Like, all of it? Everything? It's just perfect. Every frame of it is gorgeous. Every line of dialogue is earnest, iconic, often intentionally hilarious. Every fucking note on the soundtrack is permanently etched in my brain like the nibs on the wheel of a music box that I can summon at will. Empire is the platonic ideal of the monomyth.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A New Hope. I like how going into it you need no prior knowledge. It can be completely stand alone.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Revenge of the Sith is the greatest live action anime ever made.
url

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Rogue One

Everyone dies at the end. Knowing this it's still a damn good movie you get invested in.

Oct 25, 2017
Revenge of the Sith. Beautiful scenes, my favorite new tracks in the Star Wars series, Hayden Christensen's as corrupted Anakin/Vader was impressive, Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan is just amazing. It has, in my opinion, the absolute BEST lightsaber duel in the entire series. Ian McDiarmid is just pure, unadulterated PERFECTION. The assault on the Jedi Temple is easily one of the best scenes in Star Wars, and many, many other things.

I love all of the movies in the PT and OT, but Revenge of the Sith I just can go back to it over and over and over again.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Empire - On multiple occasions I've caught it on TV, said to myself that I would watch a few minutes, then ended up watching the whole thing.

I think there is a reason why the film has been barely retouched like IV and VI have been. Every bit of it feels well crafted and it has genuine, human performances.

Looks great too

1118full-star-wars%3A-episode-v----the-empire-strikes-back-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Revenge of the Sith, especially combined with Clone Wars.

Luke's outfit and green lightsaber in VI are awesome, though. Boba Fett is cool too even if he's used like a chump.

Oct 25, 2017
Return of the Jedi is everything I loved about Star Wars as a kid. From the ewoks, to Luke as a full Jedi, it was the most fun Star Wars movie to me.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
A New Hope. It's certainly the one I've seen the most times. Despite ~45 years of the series, when I think "Star Wars" I think of A New Hope primarily, and then everything else branches out from there. Like a spider web with ANH in the center.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A New Hope

This movie blew me away when I saw it back when I was like 8 or 9. It's the best adventure movie ever made. Such a simple, fun and wonderful story with charismatic and goofy characters. Lots of the special effects still hold up today which is a crazy achievement.

Very close runner up is ESB, I mean that is as close to perfection as this genre gets

Borgus

Apr 14, 2020
Toronto
Empire. It feels so human and has the strongest character work out of all the movies by far. I love the aesthetic too and Oz' performance as Yoda is not talked about enough.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't even know how to summarize why I like TESB the best. Like, all of it? Everything? It's just perfect. Every frame of it is gorgeous. Every line of dialogue is earnest, iconic, often intentionally hilarious. Every fucking note on the soundtrack is permanently etched in my brain like the nibs on the wheel of a music box that I can summon at will. Empire is the platonic ideal of the monomyth.
The crescendo of The Asteroid Field gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
At 2:15 ish

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Revenge of the Sith. Beautiful scenes, my favorite new tracks in the Star Wars series, Hayden Christensen's as corrupted Anakin/Vader was impressive, Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan is just amazing. It has, in my opinion, the absolute BEST lightsaber duel in the entire series. Ian McDiarmid is just pure, unadulterated PERFECTION. The assault on the Jedi Temple is easily one of the best scenes in Star Wars, and many, many other things.

I love all of the movies in the PT and OT, but Revenge of the Sith I just can go back to it over and over and over again.
like... this is basically what i was going to write.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Jedi

The following ignores TROS

It's absolutely stunning, it's moving, it dares look into the underclass of the galaxy, it's bold with its willingness to go places with Luke that you wouldn't have expected going into the S-T but that make complete logical sense, it has an incredible message of hope, and tells an import moral of small heroics and their value in a world full of big capital H Heroics. It rejects the you must be born to a special family , when Rey sees herself in the cave after when told she'll see her parents it's a poignant remark on how beautiful introduction in TFA... she raised herself, she sees herself because she is her own parents. Kylo is given the ultimate change to redeem and rejects, which should have been setting him up to be the actual final enemy, the one to be defeat... goddamnit JJ. It also has one of the most beautiful scores from John Williams, it's just that it's a subtle tableau that more functions best as an entire whole than a series of motifs and themes that absolutely stand out in iconicism.

There's an absolute thoughtfulness that just isn't seen in other Star Wars movies. It's truly a beautiful piece of art.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
Ep4. Everything everybody is new. Williams music. Vader and Tarkin. Death Star trench scene. Also, the Tosche Station line.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Rogue One.
Rebels rebel. I love it.

But I've never seen Attack of the Clones, so it's still a contender!!!

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
The one with Felicity Jones.
Rogue One.

I still wonder how better the Star Wars 7-9 movies would have been with Saoirse Ronan. She audition but was never considered. For her it was the greatest thing to have had happened because she got 3 Oscar noms in that period, but at the time she was very sad and had little work. I think she would have shined and saved the trilogy.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Revenge of the Sith.

It's got absurd, over-the-top lightsaber battles, over acted and over dramatic scenes, a solid dose of humor, and the whole film is just an amazing ride. It's also the ending to the series that came out during my childhood, that probably helps a lot too.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I suspect it will always be A New Hope becausee of the Death Star trench run sequence, from liftoff from Yavin through the explosion as the few that remain escape. Everything about it was exceptional. The music, the intensity, the twist, the energy of it all. It's just fantastic.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Empire Strikes Back is the best movie
A New Hope is my favorite
The Last Jedi has some of the best scenes that are also my favorite.

Oct 8, 2019
Return of the Jedi

The one Star Wars film that has a little bit of everything well written personal drama, great comedy scenes, an epic space battle, man eating teddy bears, the throne scene was so good that Disney Star Wars felt the need to copy it twice.

Its a movie that gives us this scene

and this scene

Its also the best Star Wars thematically with the Rebel Alliance made up of a variety of people defeating the Empire which was dominated by white men, and the land battle where the Ewoks overcome the technologically superior Empire though ingenuity, and guerrilla tactics.

Jan 3, 2018
"We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters." - Best line in the whole saga imo.

I'm always a little confused about why this line resonated with some people. It's a fine line, but it hasn't got anything to do with what's happening in the story. Luke's burden wasn't that he didn't want anyone to "grow beyond" him. I guess TLJ might be too deep for even Yoda.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always loved the themes of TLJ, really meaningful compared to pretty much every other film in the series. The idea of failure and learning from those failures, I think is a cool message and very much in line with the rest of the series, certainly not the insult to the franchise that people claim it is. Luke overcoming his fear and anxieties is also a powerful thing for me, especially as someone who deals with those things all the time in my personal life, and it bums me out that people didn't like it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Revenge of the Sith.

It's got absurd, over-the-top lightsaber battles, over acted and over dramatic scenes, a solid dose of humor, and the whole film is just an amazing ride. It's also the ending to the series that came out during my childhood, that probably helps a lot too.
I second this and add
Return of the Jedi
The Throne room scene were Luke declares he's a jedi like his father before him andVader's final act is top tier cinema for me
Also i like the cool moment in the beginning of the film with luke flipping and catching the lightsaber Just amazing