• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Don't do it. Tell your GF immediately. And don't tell her that you were considering it either.
Even if the mom wasn't planning on doing anything wrong with it, forging a signature is illegal in and of itself.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
She could use... I don't know... what else would identify a person? Oh yeah, their name.
Tell your GF and if it's all cool then have her act surprised.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Umm, no. As a matter of fact I would be telling my girlfriend. That is simply not a reasonable thing to ask for.

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks all. My GF and I are meeting for lunch tomorrow, I'll talk to her about it then.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Nope nope nope nope

"Help, one of my family members stole my identity!" or "My parents opened a dozen loans in my name and now my credit is fucked!" is almost a daily post on /r/personalfinance

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Write your gf's name with newspaper clippings and send it to her mom. Insist that's her writing.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Come on. This is past any level of shady. Don't do it and tell your gf. not knowing the situations but assuming the worst.
I'd even consider looking into identity theft protection at this point, the mother may still find a way to get access to the signature..

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I have a difficult relationship with my parents, and I would never, ever, under any circumstances, provide them with my signature.

The fact that you mentioned how she disregarded something her daughter was proud of tells me she's probably not the sort of person to actually do something as sentimental as this tattoo dealy.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Tell her now. This is shady as hell.

Also keep us updated because this is juicy.

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I have a difficult relationship with my parents, and I would never, ever, under any circumstances, provide them with my signature.

The fact that you mentioned how she disregarded something her daughter was proud of tells me she's probably not the sort of person to actually do something as sentimental as this tattoo dealy.
Like I said, they talk pretty regularly, and my GF says that her mom is always posting on facebook (to what my GF says is an excessive degree) about how much she misses her daughter. So just as much as I could see this being fraud I could also just as easily see this being some awkward sentimental gesture.

You just can't text her about it?
Nah she's busy with friends tonight.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's wild.

Her mom definitely up to some shady shit and you shoulda sent her a signature you made up instead.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'll take a guess:

The mother is controlling and is trying to pry into her daughter's medical records by forging her signature on a release form.

What do I get if I called it?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
a tattoo of her signature, think about that for a second. Its her daughter, what does she need her signature tattooed on her self for?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Like I said, they talk pretty regularly, and my GF says that her mom is always posting on facebook (to what my GF says is an excessive degree) about how much she misses her daughter. So just as much as I could see this being fraud I could also just as easily see this being some awkward sentimental gesture.

All I can say is this is very familiar behavior to me. I am even more doubtful now.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Going with the majority. Tell your gf. The worst case scenario is you goofed on a tattoo surprise and on bad terms with her mom. You don't even know her and your gf has a rocky relationship with her anyways.

Nov 23, 2017
Absolutely don't do it. Now, as far as telling your GF, that's a different question. I don't know if I would.

But I would definitely not give the signature

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Tell her it's 2019 and no one uses signatures anymore when they post.

But yeah tell your gf.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Don't give it to her, OP. Just tell her that you will help cover the cost of the tattoo but leave the final authorization with your girlfriend. If the mother freaks out just tell her that you are honestly a little uncomfortable because a signature can be used for a lot of things and that you are not comfortable with giving away your girlfriend's signature without her explicit consent.

Also, like, Who in the actual fuck gets their personal signature tattooed on their body? These people also tattoo their Social Security number on them as well? It's 100% shady.,

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Don't give it to her, OP. Just tell her that you will help cover the cost of the tattoo but leave the final authorization with your girlfriend. If the mother freaks out just tell her that you are honestly a little uncomfortable because a signature can be used for a lot of things and that you are not comfortable with giving away your girlfriend's signature without her explicit consent.

Also, like, Who in the actual fuck gets their personal signature tattooed on their body? These people also tattoo their Social Security number on them as well? It's 100% shady.,
Why should he cover the cost?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You've never met this person and 1) you think she trusts you enough to include you in her mom/daughter birthday plans and 2) you think your girlfriend won't be weirded out about you chatting with her behind her back.

If y'all were all friends and you saw her mom weekly/monthly this would be no big thing, with the way you describe their relationship it would be a huge breach of trust for you to go behind your gf's back for anything. Especially if your fraud sense is tingling.

Think about it, in a best case scenario, if they don't have her signature anywhere - no birthday cards, Christmas cards, childhood photos or essays, an old library card or ID - how weird do you think it would be to have this estranged person show up with her name on their arm?

Worst case scenario you fucked your gf's credit and your credibility in one shot. Don't do it.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Sending your SO's private info to another person without their permission is a bad idea, even if it's a parent. Just tell them, the risk is not worth the potential surprise.

OP
OP
kai3345

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Called my girlfriend. She said her mom has mentioned to her wanting to get that exact tattoo before so she thinks the request is legitimate. She said her mom just has boundary issues lol. GF said she's gonna let it sit for a bit and then talk to her mom about it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Do not reproduce anybody's signature without their knowledge and permission.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
You aren't dating her mom. So go with the previous recommendations of telling her, maybe even just showing her the message text. She can feign surprise if this is legit, and you can always claim you either didn't see the message or thought it was spam and her account had been hacked.

Edit: Glad to see this was resolved. Still a really weird tattoo. I personally wouldn't want either of my parents to get anything like that. My initials would be more appropriate, or my birth date.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Called my girlfriend. She said her mom has mentioned to her wanting to get that exact tattoo before so she thinks the request is legitimate. She said her mom just has boundary issues lol. GF said she's gonna let it sit for a bit and then talk to her mom about it.
Okay, under no circumstance should you be the one to give her that signature.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

Good job OP.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Why should he cover the cost?

It's more a stalling tactic than anything. Saying you would like to be more intimately involved in the process as opposed to blindly just fulfilling a request is often enough to fluster the person requesting something that is inherently shady.

Obviously the whole point is if this request is setting off alarm bells and his girlfriend is hesitant, than no money spent at all.

Good for you for communicating it with her clearly! As long as she understands what The implications are of someone else having a photorealistic copy of her signature are, and she implicitly trusts her mother with it, then all is good.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Wait, so everything worked out really well? And the story is kind of sweet?

Why am I so disappointed? I need to reevaluate some things.