• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Well OP, we need some more juicy details. Clearly this thread is leaning towards a certain direction.

Who's the greedy one?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Split it and move on. Her dad was a deadbeat, no need to have a court process and drag it out. Let the guy just be dead and everyone can move on instead of causing more problems for his family beyond the grave.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the question. Uncle is willing to split, and yet they want to lawyer up if uncle does not want to give the other half? So which is it exactly?

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, this is definitely the way to go. 25K could go a long way for her and even if she got a lawyer and by some means won, she'd lose a good chunk of that 50K to lawyer fees. It's just not worth pushing for more than the 50/50 split, and from what you're telling us, it seems like she'd genuinely be a kind of awful person to try and take the uncle's share.

My first thought, people think Lawyers work for cheap.
Basically if she gets a lawyer, she's putting his half into the lawyers hands and she may get 30k? MAN SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN.

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
If the money was left to the uncle, then OP's girlfriend tries to sue for the whole thing couldn't she be left with nothing since the money was legally all her uncles to be begin with? And legal fees on top of it.

Don't be greedy. Take the $25k and buy bitcoin. You'll have a lot more than $50k in a year-year and a half.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. The uncle is the beneficiary and he is already willing to split the money? And your gf wants it all? Lol. Jesus.

Unless ofc OP updated and I missed it.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't be greedy. Take the $25k and buy bitcoin. You'll have a lot more than $50k in a year-year and a half.

giphy.gif

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
If lawyer fees really would amount to around half this, then I think I agree it's better to take half; but I don't think at all that OP's GF is an awful person for wanting more if her father never provided financial support yet was sitting on a 50k nest egg. I do wonder how the tax situation shakes out for a gift vs inheritance.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's willing to split half. That is really generous. Her uncle is listed as the beneficiary on the bank account. I mean, seems pretty open and shut case even with a lawyer.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
This reads as some r/choosingbeggars shit. The uncle was the beneficiary, he offered half, take the 25k and call it a win.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Don't take legal advice from strangers on the internet. Consult with a lawyer who does estates in your area and has a decent reputation. They won't lie to you, and they shouldn't take your money if they know it's going to cost you more than it's worth (since that would put them at risk of being sued).

Wills and estates work differently in different areas. No one can give you accurate legal advice without at least knowing where you live.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Talk to your local probate lawyer and see if you can get a free or low cost consultation.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Uncle is the sole beneficiary. Offers 50/50. Your girlfriend's reflex is to think about lawyering up to get everything.

Even if she somehow wins this is fucked up

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Its not worth the hassle to even attempt to get the the other 25k. On top of that, I think the uncle is being nice already. Don't get greedy about money that legally isn't even yours.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the uncle finds this thread and just keeps it to himself.

Fr. Just keep feeding the family drama and tear it apart more than the father apparently did. I'd be grateful he even offered in the first place. Sorry OP, but y'all sound entitled. I'm surprised the thought even crossed your mind lol. 25K goes a long way but she must really hate her upbringing.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
As most have said since he's the beneficiary she's not owed anything. Her pops legally left all his money to his brother. That's like it.

Be happy with 1/2

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
seems like the father was never there for her, so i can understand trying to be greedy, but was the uncle an asshole too? why the fuck ruin that relationship when it sounds like hes an ok bro and doing the right thing?

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely speak to a lawyer - but not to try and claim the whole $50,000 (as the uncle is legally entitled to the whole and there is no onus on him to give your GF anything), but to investigate what other assets the father owned.

I mean this guy had $50,000 in an account but owned nothing else? Sounds fishy and maybe the uncle's gesture is to placate your GF. There could be other substantial assets your GF is entitled to per intestacy laws. Definitely worth a cursory investigation at the least.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Split it and run if the uncle is willing to. A lawyer will eat up big chunks of that money no matter the outcome.

If you were talking hundreds of thousands or millions, you lawyer up. But for this amount, just split it to avoid the drama and headache.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
If the money isn't solely for your girlfriend I would split. My family have litigated over ambiguous claims on money and it just ended up draining the pot close to half anyway.

EDIT: Also the extreme mental health aspect of arguing a legal fight, especially in the climate, is probably not worth $25k to me. My family were extremely depressed when they had to litigate for years over this shit.

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Somethings fishy here to me: If the uncle is the beneficiary but also willing to split half with someone who has been largely estranged, there might be some other assets in play that he's trying to keep her from claiming.

Lawyer up.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
It would be best to consult an attorney who primarly deals with probate matters (wills, trusts, estates, etc). She might be out of luck on the bank account, but that still doesn't address what happens to the rest of the GF's father's estate. Intestate (dying without a will essentially) laws can vary differently from state to state and shit can get really messy really fast. The uncle may be entitled to the bank account holdings, but the father's children might be entitled to everything else in his estate for whatever that's worth.

For the bank account itself, I dunno about trying to tie up the uncle in litigation for this, but consulting an attorney for info won't hurt to make sure the transfer (if the Uncle decides to do so) is on the up-and-up.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
...the uncle was beneficiary on the bank account...

It's the uncle's money. Splitting it is him being a stand up nice guy. Suing would be a dick move (and likely end up losing, not to mention screwing up and relationship with the uncle).

You have someone who has the rights and access to the money offering you half and you want to take them to court to get 100% of it?

Good luck with that, take the $25k and move on. If it's determined he has sole right to the money (which if he is a beneficiary on the account, he does), you will lose all of it and have legal fees on top of it.

This right here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine your first thought being to lawyer up and try to get all of it in a situation like this....I should write a clause in my will that states the first person to do this in my family gets none of it and the rest will be split amongst everyone else. Can I do that LawyerEra? lol

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let me get this straight... you want to risk not getting anything at all after the uncle was nice enough to offer half even though he didn't have to while at the same time pretty much ruining whatever relationship your g/f and the uncle has over money she is not owed? You realize this is a terrible idea to try and sue for the entire amount, right?
As a lawyer ... this

Wtf beyond any legal considerations dude just be a good dude. Keep receipts tho

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine your first thought being to lawyer up and try to get all of it in a situation like this....I should write a clause in my will that states the first person to do this in my family gets none of it and the rest will be split amongst everyone else. Can I do that LawyerEra? lol

That is 100% guaranteed to make the person get represented and shove the will into probate court even faster

you do not want your will tied up in probate court for however ungodly amount of time it'll take to resolve it

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
If I was the uncle, I would probably only take enough to cover any expenses from the death and give the rest to the daughter.

He isn't, so just take the 25k.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
In the UK if there is no will then all funds, property and possessions of the deceased go into intestacy. Next of kin can decide to either handle it themselves or get a lawyer (probate). Next of kin are the children.
When I handled my mothers estate all funds including the house sale were split amongst her four children. Now I don't know what a 'beneficary on a bank account' is. It may complicate things or not. And of course this is UK law.
Edit; So a 'beneficary on a bank account' means after death the named individual receives the funds in the account? If true then take the $25000 as it is better than nothing. But check that it's completely legal first if unsure.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
That is 100% guaranteed to make the person get represented and shove the will into probate court even faster

you do not want your will tied up in probate court for however ungodly amount of time it'll take to resolve it
Ugh Law sucks. I cant even leave a final screw you like that? Ugh.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I went back over the first post and I think it's OPs idea to be honest. Fucking greedy.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK if there is no will then all funds, property and possessions of the deceased go into intestacy. Next of kin can decide to either handle it themselves or get a lawyer (probate). Next of kin are the children.
When I handled my mothers estate all funds including the house sale were split amongst her four children. Now I don't know what a 'beneficary on a bank account' is. It may complicate things or not. And of course this is UK law.
Edit; So a 'beneficary on a bank account' means after death the named individual receives the funds in the account? If true then take the $25000 as it is better than nothing. But check that it's completely legal first if unsure.

Yeah TBH $25k of generosity is suspect enough that I wonder if unc knows she is entitled to all of it and is just trying to head it off. Admittedly biased as I too have a dead shithead father and in my case his family is equally dodgy.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So the uncle is the beneficiary and decided to split half.
Suing sounds like a great way to maybe get a bit more than 25k but if you lose, you'll likely get 0 and be left with lawyer fees.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah TBH $25k of generosity is suspect enough that I wonder if unc knows she is entitled to all of it and is just trying to head it off. Admittedly biased as I too have a dead shithead father and in my case his family is equally dodgy.

Beneficiary status bypasses probate. It's the uncles money, full stop.

So the uncle is the beneficiary and decided to split half.
Suing sounds like a great way to maybe get a bit more than 25k but if you lose, you'll likely get 0 and be left with lawyer fees.

I really doubt a probate attorney would take this on.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Boy, I am reading this thread and salivating at the thought of having an extra 25k in my bank account. All the debt I could pay off with it.