• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you don't feel the need to come into threads about people you don't follow because of extremely tenuous

Sure thing, pal. As long as you don't feel the need to come and derail threads about people you don't follow because of extremely tenuous associations to known assholes. :)

Yeh, just dismiss what I said then. Par for the fucking course with you people...

At the risk of getting told to just "google it" or otherwise told off, can i ask what harm boogie is purporting? I have tried looking into the things he's said that seem to be the center of criticism towards him and it's either something he worded poorly and had to rephrase later, or something he said that he retracted later because he didn't understand the entire situation and after learning regretted what he said. I'm coming from a place of ignorance, not defense, as I just want to understand.
He's a both-siding piece of shit who constantly excuses every act of racism and bigotry in the gaming community he comes across.

You can Google it, it won't take long to find something.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I go into every YouTube channel assuming that if there isn't a person of color involved the folks are gonna pull alt-right or at least not do anything to distance themselves. That being said, I'm surprised some of you are disappointed given this is par for the course. It's YouTube. It's more rare to find someone not on the bullshit at least tangentially.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
At the risk of getting told to just "google it" or otherwise told off, can i ask what harm boogie is purporting? I have tried looking into the things he's said that seem to be the center of criticism towards him and it's either something he worded poorly and had to rephrase later, or something he said that he retracted later because he didn't understand the entire situation and after learning regretted what he said. I'm coming from a place of ignorance, not defense, as I just want to understand because it seems like his intentions and overall attitude has been one of kindness and the desire to do good.
He's basically the worst kind of centrist fence-sitter who thinks literal Nazis and those to whom they would mean harm oughta just hold hands and meet in the middle, all the while feigning ignorance when called out on his dumbass positions and doubling down on them.

Yeh, just dismiss what I said then. Par for the fucking course with you people...
"You people"? Who's generalizing now lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I go into every YouTube channel assuming that if there isn't a person of color involved the folks are gonna pull alt-right or at least not do anything to distance themselves. That being said, I'm surprised some of you are disappointed given this is par for the course. It's YouTube. It's more rare to find someone not on the bullshit at least tangentially.
I'm disappointed because I really fucking liked this channel.

There are lots of people who don't act like pdp and boogie are all part of a happy community just having fun with video games, though. So it's no real net loss.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I didn't start watching these till recently but they're lighthearted and fun. Also it inspired me to finally play doom so hope it's as good as it seems. I also don't know much about YouTube controversy but it seems like they're on the wrong side of it?
The woman dared say, "I like this game...and it's not because of the patriarchy, Anita." She's now been canceled.

Although one has to wonder if the boyfriend wrote that line, in which case he can fuck off. If it was indeed the girlfriend's opinion, though, she can disagree with Anita all she wants and no one else's opinion on the matter of her opinion means dick. The revelation that the boyfriend is writing the scripts is interesting though. He may just be dropping little Reddit nuggets in there for their approval, which would indeed be slimy. They claim he's just transposing what she says during streams though. I dont watch their streams, so I can't say if that's true or not.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The woman dared say, "I like this game...and it's not because of the patriarchy, Anita." She's now been canceled.

Although one has to wonder if the boyfriend wrote that line, in which case he can fuck off. If it was indeed the girlfriend's opinion, though, she can disagree with Anita all she wants and no one else's opinion on the matter of her opinion means dick.
Dismissing Anita's concerns about real actual problems in a throwaway joke is not something you get a pass for being a girl.

This shit has a real effect on things.

And that isn't the only reason some people no longer want to watch... it's combination of all the things mentioned. And to rewrite that off as "cAnCeLleD" is pretty dismissive.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed because I really fucking liked this channel.

There are lots of people who don't act like pdp and boogie are all part of a happy community just having fun with video games, though. So it's no real net loss.
I'm sorry you lost it as an option. I liked the first couple I saw as well, but I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've just reached the point of, "ah well," when it does drop.

May 26, 2018
I'm sorry you lost it as an option. I liked the first couple I saw as well, but I was always waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've just reached the point of, "ah well," when it does drop.

Yup. It's simply what YouTube culture is. Those YTers engulf vast swaths of the virtual landscape, and everyone gets sucked in. Exceptions reject them, not accept.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Another great video from them, really funny and another reminder that I really need to buy this fucking game dammit. I keep waiting for it to drop on PS+ or go very cheap on a sale (I probably have missed it already ^^)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So she's not entitled to her opinion? There's plenty of feminists Anita calls out, why can't they do the same?
As I said above, dismissing Anita's real and valid concerns ina throwaway joke does actual harm.

Feel free to disagree with Antia via resonable debate, but frame it as a joke... when you're speaking to the gaming community that is rife with bigoted bullshit?

You honestly can't see the issue there?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that would make it worse. There's nothing to report as long as people are civil, even though I don't like where the discussion (imo unfairly ) went.
You honestly can't understand why some of us feel upset content creators we love continue to act as though people like pdp and boogie are just part of the happy YT family, after all the harm they have done?

That making jokes about Anita'r valid positions can do harm when aimed at the gaming community that is rife with bigoted and dismissive views?

I'm not expecting a reply, but it would be nice to understand your position.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Nah, that would make it worse. There's nothing to report as long as people are civil, even though I don't like where the discussion (imo unfairly ) went.
If any of you watch their streams, perhaps ask them if the guy is responsible for all these questionable dialogue lines. If he's indeed writing them all and pandering to shitty members on reddit, they deserve all the flack. The way they're sprinkled in across numerous videos sure does make them seem more suspect than I first thought given the revelation he's writing the scripts.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If any of you watch their streams, perhaps ask them if the guy is responsible for all these questionable dialogue lines. If he's indeed writing them all and pandering to shitty members on reddit, they deserve all the flack. The way they're sprinkled in across numerous videos sure does make them seem more suspect than I first thought given the revelation he's writing the scripts.
Why would it matter if it was him or her or both?

OP
OP
Chase Lebowski
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
"All the questionable dialogue lines"
"in across numerous videos"

I'm sorry, what? Where? Seriously? And what if she wrote all of that (which is not the case)? Would she get a pass?

People. This is just a cute couple doing some videos. She experience the game herself or watches the boyfriend, than based on her opinion he writes the script and adds context for the game and its franchise. She then does the voiceover.

That's it. There's nothing problematic.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018

I'm sorry, what? Where? Seriously? And what if she wrote all of that (which is not the case)? Would she get a pass?

People. This is just a cute couple doing some videos. She experience the game herself or watches the boyfriend, than based on her opinion he writes the script and adds context for the game and its franchise. She then does the voiceover.

I'm referring to the references to youtube personalities with questionable histories. Why do they feel the need to namedrop them? And clearly there's something problematic if people are expressing concerns. At this point, I'm with you and I dont think it's all that bad. But to deny there's smoke is just being willfully blind.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

This has been explained and you seem to be dismissing it entirely.

No one is spearheading a campaign or calling for them to be cancelled.

People are expressing upset that yet another content creator we love seems to think it's okay to act like pdp and boogie and those like them are just part of this happy gaming community when they do actual real harm.

And the fact that the person writing has literally said this is written for Reddit that we know has issues with bigotry and anti-SJW voices, and includes jokes that dismiss people like Anita while aimed at these communities. You can't be blind to how that can perpetuate harm.

And we're being told we're being ridiculous, that our points are worthless, and that we're calling them nazis?

I don't get it.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018

I mean, would you like to explore the posters' point of Girlfriend Reviews referencing these other (at least for Era, the site you are on) disagreeable YT personalities, and why they might be disagreeable in the first place? It really seems to affect some posters here. They are speaking emotionally, but if someone's been deeply hurt, you know it's extremely hard for many people to keep a cool poker face. There might be a legitimate reason here, and they might tell you what it is. If you really want to know.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
The "And they didn't stop there, they had the great idea of stopping there" line made me laugh way too much , is actually really well found and turned :) Really liked the writing on this one, with the monotone part where she's trying to nitpick the game as a game journalist ^^ oh and all the "that's another +point , sorry"

666/10 obviously

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We need a thread on who isn't shit.

Or you could think for yourself and not try to further perpetuate group think.

The adjacency nonsense (someone mentions a thing that may be associated with another thing that was associated with a wholly different thing that outrages someones moral compass) is getting to borderline pizza-gate levels of instability.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One PDP joke and this is what the thread becomes, holy fuck.

Funny video, Doom is an incredible game and I am praying Eternal delivers.

May 26, 2018

Funny video, Doom is an incredible game and I am praying Eternal delivers.

It's not one PDP joke, it seems, but a pattern of who the writer likes to reference.

There are people here who feel that PDP and Boogie and others like them perpetuate a harmful system. It is not unreasonable to bring up that one might have a problem with this, or be disappointed that a YouTuber they only recently liked supports someone the poster deeply does not.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

The adjacency nonsense (someone mentions a thing that may be associated with another thing that was associated with a wholly different thing that outrages someones moral compass) is getting to borderline pizza-gate levels of instability.

No, these things have a real effect. You can't be blind to that?

What is happening.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I dug around and its a little worse than only that joke. The boyfriend is the one who writes the scripts, he mentions that he originally made the videos for Reddit, since he's a redditor and someone said they made fun of Anita Sarkeesian on a stream.

It adds up. Plus, I really hate the "Cool Girl" persona that a good girlfriend is someone who watches you play videogames and likes it.

He made an Anita Sarkeesian joke? Got a link? If they're of that ilk I'll be sure to unsubscribe immediately.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

There is a fairly clear set of principals that are enforced to a degree in this forum. I'm sure that on some level all of us in some form contribute to the machine of hate with our daily actions but on the ones we consciously engage in we deserve to be informed on the possible connections to those gears in that cogwork. The "group think" you talk about is an organic shared ideaology, that has only been conditioned by concerted effort to undermine it.

The whole cancel culture moniker is the new "sjw". It's the stop trying to do the right thing so hard it's annoying. It's complaining about people being too consistant with their principals.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
He made an Anita Sarkeesian joke? Got a link? If they're of that ilk I'll be sure to unsubscribe immediately.
Someone noted it on the last page but it hasn't been confirmed.

There is a fairly clear set of principals that are enforced to a degree in this forum. I'm sure that on some level all of us in some form contribute to the machine of hate with our daily actions but on the ones we consciously engage in we deserve to be informed on the possible connections to those gears in that cogwork. The "group think" you talk about is an organic shared ideaology, that has only been conditioned by concerted effort to undermine it.

The whole cancel culture moniker is the new "sjw". It's the stop trying to do the right thing so hard it's annoying. It's complaining about people being too consistant with their principals.
Excellent post, very well articulated.

Thank you.

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
geez... can you guys not be offended about the littlest things for once? wtf. always the freaking turn around where thing X is soooooo great and after a few months it's soooooooo bad.

Landford

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not adressing you in particular, Trigger, but here is the link.

Since people think I am making this up, its the intro for the Bioshock Review, complete with "I am a girl so I am too stupid to comprehend games that have numbers".

As I said, the shtick of being an airhead girlfriend who loves watching her boyfriend plays while only liking cutesy games is not enough to "cancel" the channel or even stop watching it if you don't mind this stuff, but things like promoting PDP or Boogie and the myriad other minor things that add up makes me giving this channel a hard pass, since there is a ton of YouTubers out there creating the same quality content without all this shit attached to it.

I imagine a lot of people "asking for proof" for the Anita joke only did so so they could "There's nothing here, you are making a mountain out of a molehill", but as I said, its a filter. Especially for gaming related channels.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
geez... can you guys not be offended about the littlest things for once? wtf. always the freaking turn around where thing X is soooooo great and after a few months it's soooooooo bad.

All been clearly explained.

And yes, it's fucking exhausting when so many content creators prove over time that they don't care enough to not act like people such as pdp and boogie are a fun part of the community.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling, derailing, and antagonizing members over a series of posts + previous recent ban for hostility and antagonistic attitude
I was waiting on Era to turn on them eventually, y'all just wait for someone to fuck up to boost your egos. So progressive!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting on Era to turn on them eventually, y'all just wait for someone to fuck up to boost your egos. So progressive!
Of you're waiting for this this says far more about you than anything else.

This is just people being consistent with not supporting comtent that helps normalize hateful things.

Don't be so absurd.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Since people think I am making this up, its the intro for the Bioshock Review, complete with "I am a girl so I am too stupid to comprehend games that have numbers".

Ah yeah I remember watching that when it was released and getting that sinking feeling that the other shoe was about to drop. What's interesting now is watching that intro with the knowledge that it was written by the boyfriend for the girlfriend to read back. Puts it in a whole other squirmy light.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Great video, shes always good.
Hell, I've seen plenty of non-gaming Youtubers give him nothing but high praise too. Especially during the whole "Pewdiepie vs T-Series" thing. Youtube basically banded itself together to support him (as futile as it was).

"Pewdiepie is an alt-right meme" is either not clicking or Youtubers collectively are refusing to let it click, and because of that it's hard to use that against someone without implicitly using it against everyone.
Yeah, I dont know what it is about Pewds that he legit does get a free pass, other famous youtubers like Boogie and H3H3 do too. Maybe its something to do with being "fellow content creators"? Or maybe they just dont keep up with all the controversies.

OP
OP
Chase Lebowski
Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Not adressing you in particular, Trigger, but here is the link.

As I said, the shtick of being an airhead girlfriend who loves watching her boyfriend plays while only liking cutesy games is not enough to "cancel" the channel or even stop watching it if you don't mind this stuff, but things like promoting PDP or Boogie and the myriad other minor things that add up makes me giving this channel a hard pass, since there is a ton of YouTubers out there creating the same quality content without all this shit attached to it.

I imagine a lot of people "asking for proof" for the Anita joke only did so so they could "There's nothing here, you are making a mountain out of a molehill", but as I said, its a filter. Especially for gaming related channels.
Now "not being a long time gamer" is a shtick? I think if he wrote that stuff it's because she feels that way and she's fine ith it. We literally saw in the same video the difficulty she has handling some stuff, and again, it's fine. She prefers cutesy games, is that wrong now? He's not putting any words in her mouth.

Ebnas

May 15, 2019
Now "not being a long time gamer" is a shtick? I think if he wrote that stuff it's because she feels that way and she's fine ith it. We literally saw in the same video the difficulty she has handling some stuff, and again, it's fine. She prefers cutesy games, is that wrong now? He's not putting any words in her mouth.

No, she's obviously being held hostage.

May 26, 2018
Yeah, I dont know what it is about Pewds that he legit does get a free pass, other famous youtubers like Boogie and H3H3 do too. Maybe its something to do with being "fellow content creators"? Or maybe they just dont keep up with all the controversies.

Some people want their funny gamer videos so they can escape reality. And that reality probably includes people who have it worse. Justification follows.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched the video and apparently missed the PDP support. So imagine my surprise when I opened this to the fourth page and saw the shit throwing that was going on. I had to go back and watch again just to figure out why everyone was up in arms.

Am I missing something or is all this outrage over them writing pewdiepie in the console command screen? Did they make a statement about how they love pewdipie and everything he stands for? I am legit curious as this seems like a very strong reaction to a 2 second joke in a video.