• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 29, 2018
What are you even doing now? This has nothing to do with hate against people not assigning to gender norms.

And fucking hell no, men being "expected to pay for dinner" is not systemic sexism...

And you say I'm moving goalposts...
-_-
Uhmm systemic sexism isnt what she said she said sexism in a general sense, and even if it was what she said it certainly still effects men whether you like one of my examples or not. Like I've said a million times though what are you doing? My whole point was one joke about her and an offhand ambiguous p2p reference is not nearly enough to advocate for the condemnation of a channel that they are trying to make a livelihood on

Also if you want to disagree with my example maybe actually you know have a point. I'm done listening to you get defensive when you were the one being outrageous in the first place -_-

astro

Oct 25, 2017
-_-
Uhmm systemic sexism isnt what she said she said sexism in a general sense, and even if it was what she said it certainly still effects men whether you like one of my examples or not. Like I've said a million times though what are you doing? My whole point was one joke about her and an offhand ambiguous p2p reference is not nearly enough to advocate for the condemnation of a channel that they are trying to make a livelihood on

Also if you want to disagree with my example maybe actually you know have a point. I'm done listening to you get defensive when you were the one being outrageous in the first place -_-
Whatever you say.

And signal boosting shitlords is enough to drop them from my watchlist, the Anita stuff has nothing to do with it.

Also I'm not the one getting defensive.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
I've heard the phrase "signal boosting" before, but never really understood what it meant. I just checked the Urban Dictionary definition and...I think it's being used incorrectly in this case. Considering the people they mention are big as is, they're not really "boosting" anything. They're also not bringing awareness to any cause either.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying that a channel with slightly above 500K subs is signal boosting the "Biggest Youtuber on the Platform"

They don't mention agreeing with his views or his behavior, they literally just say his name and make a screenshot joke... and thats about it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Look at y'all bickering about a term.

Fact: positive support of pdp and boogie and people like them help perpetuate and normalize the harm they do. That's it. Maybe it's not enough for some of you to drop a channel, for me? I've fucking had enough of people like them being accepted when they cause me and those I care about real harm.

It's gross that this is the norm for so many creators, but there are plenty of them that don't do this shit.

arent you kinda signal boosting them, barely anyone even noticed the joke until you made a big deal out of it
Not how it works, no.

May 26, 2018

Fact: positive support of pdp and boogie and people like them help perpetuate and normalize the harm they do. That's it. Maybe it's not enough for some of you to drop a channel, for me? I've fucking had enough of people like them being accepted when they cause me and those I care about real harm.

It's gross that this is the norm for so many creators, but there are plenty of them that don't do this shit.

Not how it works, no.

It's all about supporting a system that protects certain kinds of people, right?

It took me a long time to understand systemic prejudice, and I am still learning, but I think that's the big reason why people are upset. Average YouTubers don't have to say pewdiepie's worst moments are okay, they just have to make him seem innocuous. Because when he is seen as innocuous, he won't just be supported by those who support bigotry, but by people in general. Which makes it extremely shitty for people who are hurt by these things as the source of injury becomes nearly insurmountable, and find themselves living in unending social duress.

Or something like that. I'm definitely not an expert.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this video and I distinctly remember rolling my eyes at the PDP joke... but afterwards forgot all about it. Sigh.

I know everyone is jumping on the "PDP joke no longer watching" train... but has anyone reached out to these people on Twitter or wherever and maybe tried to explain why jokes like that are bad in the first place? My first instinct is to always assume that not everyone knows about the incidents some youtubers wind up in. I wouldn't know shit about PDP if not for Era. I don't watch him, and the few places I visit on Reddit don't mention him either. So yeah, this forum occasionally informs me of shit like this, but maybe GFR isn't all caught up?

I dunno. That's my hope... anyways.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this video and I distinctly remember rolling my eyes at the PDP joke... but afterwards forgot all about it. Sigh.

I know everyone is jumping on the "PDP joke no longer watching" train... but has anyone reached out to these people on Twitter or wherever and maybe tried to explain why jokes like that are bad in the first place? My first instinct is to always assume that not everyone knows about the incidents some youtubers wind up in. I wouldn't know shit about PDP if not for Era. I don't watch him, and the few places I visit on Reddit don't mention him either. So yeah, this forum occasionally informs me of shit like this, but maybe GFR isn't all caught up?

The guy who writes this stuff is a Reddit veteran who is obviously very knowledgeable about the gaming community. What do you really think the chances are he hasn't heard about the controversies surrounding Boogie and pdp?

People in the gaming community to the point they're content creators on YT know about pdp and boogie in this context. A bunch of us stand against it, many people don't give a shit and many think it's "PC gone mad" or actually follow boogie's line of thinking. This shit is not uncommon.

May 26, 2018

As far as I can tell it's the combo of PDP, Boogie and Joe Rogan. Eventually you get enough flashing arrows. But hey, you could be right.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

The boyfriend is the one who is supposedly the one writing most of the scripts, throwing in every cultural talking-point that wouldn't be common knowledge, saying how much they love Reddit communities. I'm doubting that these people who are so tuned in have completely missed the conversation around PDP and Boogie.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What hyperbole? This thread is full of people saying they will stop watching their videos.
That person responded to "Well that Pewdiepie joke was disappointing."

At that point, no one had said they don't want to watch anything.

Conversations have an actual timeline, you know?

Average YouTubers don't have to say pewdiepie's worst moments are okay, they just have to make him seem innocuous. Because when he is seen as innocuous, he won't just be supported by those who support bigotry, but by people in general.
This is pretty much it, yes. I'm fucking tired of seeing shitlords like boogie and pdp supported after everything they've done.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They complained about the writing in Detroit, which a ton of people here did as well. They said it didn't convey it's message well, which a lot of people agree with.
I just re-watched that part and you're right, I was remembering incorrectly. No that I agree with them but they were criticising the handling not the mere inclusion. I'm still annoyed at their wrong opinion of quicktime events though.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
On a personal level - the live feed stuff they include in the videos makes the dude come off as a complete dick to her. I get couples dynamics can be viewed very differently from the inside than they appear on the outside, so I don't really want to try and be judgey about them as people - but it's off putting to me for sure.
Yep, everytime they put some on their video, I felt not OK. The fact he took the mouse because, for him, she is too slow, is a shitty behavior. You are supposed to acted like this when you are young but then learn to deal with frustration.

Aug 29, 2018

Not how it works, no.
-_- Agree to disagree, all I'm seeing is a massive signal boost. If you disagree where's your source or logic lol

Just seem like someone who wanted to be outraged about something to the detriment of your own cause -_- move on if you want but almost all of us are still going to watch them and almost all of us are still going to see you as hyperbolic and dramatic (I wonder why)

Get over it or not nobody really cares this is your own imaginary battle on this one until much more concerning behavior arises

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-_- Agree to disagree, all I'm seeing is a massive signal boost. If you disagree where's your source or logic lol

Just seem like someone who wanted to be outraged about something to the detriment of your own cause -_- move on if you want but almost all of us are still going to watch them and almost all of us are still going to see you as hyperbolic and dramatic (I wonder why)

Get over it or not nobody really cares this is your own imaginary battle on this one until much more concerning behavior arises

Lol, you are looking childish as fuck with the -_- dude. Just let it go.

While I think the whole schtick of "Girlfriend Review" felt flat when we knew it was actually the guy who was doing the writing, mentioning Boogie and PDP without calling them out on their bullshit is actually bad.

People can bitch about "Cancel Culture" but being so hot and bothered about a youtube channel getting criticism is something else. Next stop will probably be "SJW are ruining my vydia! Stop making me think about what I like!"

I'm willing to take a bet we will hear or see much more "concerning behavior" in their next videos. Their channel is a pro gig. They are just testing the waters.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
-_-

Uh the "power" in the quote is the systemic part hth

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I dug around and its a little worse than only that joke. The boyfriend is the one who writes the scripts, he mentions that he originally made the videos for Reddit, since he's a redditor and someone said they made fun of Anita Sarkeesian on a stream.

It adds up. Plus, I really hate the "Cool Girl" persona that a good girlfriend is someone who watches you play videogames and likes it.

It's disappointing to know he's criticised Anita on a stream

As for the bolded, my girlfriend loves watching me play games, and she likes Girlfriend Reviews specifically because she finds it so relatable

He writes the scripts from her perspective and with her input, so it's not like she's just an actor doing as she's told and it's 100% his creation, they clearly collaborate on the content before he writes it

Aug 29, 2018
User Banned (permanent): trolling, dismissing concerns, long history of similar behavior
Lol, you are looking childish as fuck with the -_- dude. Just let it go.

While I think the whole schtick of "Girlfriend Review" felt flat when we knew it was actually the guy who was doing the writing, mentioning Boogie and PDP without calling them out on their bullshit is actually bad.

People can bitch about "Cancel Culture" but being so hot and bothered about a youtube channel getting criticism is something else. Next stop will probably be "SJW are ruining my vydia! Stop making me think about what I like!"

I'm willing to take a bet we will hear or see much more "concerning behavior" in their next videos. Their channel is a pro gig. They are just testing the waters.
-_- Astro is being dramatic and assuptous for trying to get people to cancel a channel because of an ambiguous offhand reference to someone imo

Maybe they are testing the waters, maybe PDP is literally just a wildly famous youtuber and the vast majority of people who reference him have no clue about any of the politics around him.

Maybe more will come, maybe it won't. You can place your bed I don't have a horse in this race other then not evoking cancel culture over potentially tiny shit like this because those are real lives -_- I'm not hot and bothered, I'm just being a bit condescending because I do think the idea is just incredibly dumb

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing to know he's criticised Anita on a stream

As for the bolded, my girlfriend loves watching me play games, and she likes Girlfriend Reviews specifically because she finds it so relatable

He writes the scripts from her perspective and with her input, so it's not like she's just an actor doing as she's told and it's 100% his creation, they clearly collaborate on the content before he writes it

That's the part where I think it's just my personal opinion and it shouldn't be used "against" the channel. But the other points I made are straight up bad. That and the guy's behavior on streams, taking the mouse off her, lecturing her, etc. As I said before, none of these things would be bad in isolation, but it adds up to paint a picture. Am I thinking too much? Sure.

Is boosting PDP and Boogie bad? Sure.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I just saw someone dismiss the channel because the guy in the couple is a "redditor". What the fuck does that even mean. It's like saying someone is a "facebook user" or "twitter user" at this point.

Reddit is one of the most used social networking platforms in the world. Lets call out dangerous subs and shitty practices from Reddit the company but come the fuck on. As if, someone being a user means anything at all. My 56 year old aunt uses Reddit every day. Guess she's a toxic shit.

Aug 29, 2018
Uh the "power" in the quote is the systemic part hth
Men are effected by power dynamics in a society as well I'm not going to repeat myself read my comments if you want. Do you really want to stand on the sexism cant exist towards men hill? Like I dont care about Anita, I havent even seen any solid source at all about GFReviews insulting her, but she certainly says stupid shit sometimes even if again I like what she stands for (more rep). We all do but depending on the nature of the joke if it is even REAL I'll find that excusable too.

I mean I've laughed over some of the things she said and done, she's very militant and sometimes comedically so imo. She literally called an audience member a piece of trash, not saying she shouldnt have but it was funny either way

People so eager to be outraged they are outraged about an Anita joke they dont even know the words of lol

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's the part where I think it's just my personal opinion and it shouldn't be used "against" the channel. But the other points I made are straight up bad. That and the guy's behavior on streams, taking the mouse off her, lecturing her, etc. As I said before, none of these things would be bad in isolation, but it adds up to paint a picture. Am I thinking too much? Sure.

Is boosting PDP and Boogie bad? Sure.

I wasn't having a go at you, sorry if it seemed like that!

Yeah I agree boosting people like PDP and Boogie is bad, though both are far more popular than they are, so it's hard to gauge how much of a boost they're actually giving them. The act of endorsing them is pretty bad though

I'll have to defer to your judgement with regards to their streams as I've not seen any of them, only the YouTube videos

I don't think you're over thinking things at all. It's worth discussing

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I just saw someone dismiss the channel because the guy in the couple is a "redditor". What the fuck does that even mean. It's like saying someone is a "facebook user" or "twitter user" at this point.

Reddit is one of the most used social networking platforms in the world. Lets call out dangerous subs and shitty practices from Reddit the company but come the fuck on. As if, someone being a user means anything at all. My 56 year old aunt uses Reddit every day. Guess she's a toxic shit.

It's not that he uses reddit. It's that because he uses reddit a lot and is knowledgeable about the video game community, he most definitely knows what a shit PDP is. So themgiving him a mention just leaves a bad taste in people's mouths.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Discussing the fact we don't want to watch a video any more because of their support for certain peope is not signal boosting.

Your dishonest framing ITT and your trolling use of emotes proves you have no interest in discussion.

They didn't do that

They added everything together:

Support of pdp and boogie
Mocking Anita
Reddit veteran

Reddit has a HUGE issue with anti-SJW voices and bigotry in its gaming communities. Don't be naive. The venn diagram of people here is pretty fucking clear.

And now we know he likes Josh Rogan too?

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
-_- Astro is being dramatic and assuptous for trying to get people to cancel a channel because of an ambiguous offhand reference to someone imo

Maybe they are testing the waters, maybe PDP is literally just a wildly famous youtuber and the vast majority of people who reference him have no clue about any of the politics around him.

Maybe more will come, maybe it won't. You can place your bed I don't have a horse in this race other then not evoking cancel culture over potentially tiny shit like this because those are real lives -_- I'm not hot and bothered, I'm just being a bit condescending because I do think the idea is just incredibly dumb
I have never, not even once, tried to get anyone to cancel anything.

I have not even suggested what anyone else should do.

All I have done is state my opinion and respond to replies. That's it.

I am tired of people like Boogie and PDP continuing to gain support from the people in the YT community, and I personally refuse to watch people who do as both of those people cause real harm to myself and those I care about.

So more outright dishonesty from you, this time a literal lie, coupled with your constant dishonest framing and trolling use of that emote and you're going on ignore.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
The videos are entertaining and well made, but this channel has been worthy of a side eye from me ever since it was revealed the BF is writing the scripts since it kind of undermines the entire premise of the channel. It also makes you think about how it falls into very typical 'gamer' roles that a certain portion of the audience definitely likes to see hammered on such as GF being the inexperienced non-gamer being led around by the BF through all these games. Stuff like the association with dunkey, PDP, and any other assholes like boogie just add on to that feeling.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I love this couple and I think most of their reviews are funny as hell.

Sad to see people are starting to turn on them for not passing enough purity tests but I can't say I'm too surprised.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The videos are entertaining and well made, but this channel has been worthy of a side eye from me ever since it was revealed the BF is writing the scripts since it kind of undermines the entire premise of the channel. It also makes you think about how it falls into very typical 'gamer' roles that a certain portion of the audience definitely likes to see hammered on such as GF being the inexperienced non-gamer being led around by the BF through all these games. Stuff like the association with dunkey, PDP, and any other assholes like boogie just add on to that feeling.
The collaboration was clear from the start imo, and I don't think that's an issue at all. It is based on their honest interactions with each other, all Matt does is write those up in a professional sounding way then Shelby performs them.

That part, imo, has always been perfectly fine.

I love this couple and I think most of their reviews are funny as hell.

Sad to see Era is starting to turn on them for not passing enough purity tests but I can't say I'm too surprised.

God, posts like this should be actionable..

YOU are on Era, and other people ITT saying they have no issue are on Era. There is on "Era" here.

And many of us experience the real harm that is perpetuated by people like Boogie and pdp and their lik, and we're tired of seeing other people support them like they're all a part of some happy community.

This is not an unreasonable position, and to come in and be so dismissive is pretty fucking gross.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
The collaboration was clear from the start imo, and I don't think that's an issue at all. It is based on their honest interactions with each other, all Matt does is write those up in a professional sounding way then Shelby performs them.

That part, imo, has always been perfectly fine.

God, posts like this should be actionable..

YOU are on Era, and other people ITT saying they have no issue are on Era. There is mo "Era" here.

And many of us experience the real harm that is perpetuated by people like Boogie and pdp and their lik, and we're tired of seeing other people support them like they're all a part of some happy community.

This is not an unreasonable position, and to come I'm and be so dismissive is pretty fucking gross.
I edited my original post because I realized I was generalizing too much. And you should relax. They made one joke and you're here acting like they're out there marching in the streets holding tiki torches and shit. You'll have to forgive me if I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that they must be alt-righters at the drop of a hat but hey, you do you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I edited my original post because I realized I was generalizing too much. And you should relax. They made one joke and you're here acting like they're out there marching in the streets holding tiki torches and shit. You'll have to forgive me if I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that they must be alt-righters at the drop of a hat but hey, you do you.

Why are you lying about my posts?

I have explained my position numerous times. I have not called them alt-right or anything like that.

Support of people like boogie and pdp is not something incan stand any more. Too many content creators reference them in a happy, playful way like they're all part of this lovely happy community when, in reality, pdp and boogie help perpetuate things that cause myself and people I care about real harm.

If you cannot understand that, I don't know what to say.

PLENTY of great YT content creators do not do this. I will watch them instead.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
I didn't start watching these till recently but they're lighthearted and fun. Also it inspired me to finally play doom so hope it's as good as it seems. I also don't know much about YouTube controversy but it seems like they're on the wrong side of it?

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you lying about my posts?

I have explained my position numerous times. I have not called them alt-right or anything like that.

Support of people like boogie and pdp is not something incan stand any more. Too many content creators reference them in a happy, playful way like they're all part of this lovely happy community when, in reality, pdp and boogie help perpetuate things that cause myself and people I care about real harm.

If you cannot understand that, I don't know what to say.

PLENTY of great YT content creators do not do this. I will watch them instead.
Sure thing, pal. As long as you don't feel the need to come and derail threads about people you don't follow because of extremely tenuous associations to known assholes. :)

Schmuck

Oct 30, 2017
At the risk of getting told to just "google it" or otherwise told off, can i ask what harm boogie is purporting? I have tried looking into the things he's said that seem to be the center of criticism towards him and it's either something he worded poorly and had to rephrase later, or something he said that he retracted later because he didn't understand the entire situation and after learning regretted what he said. I'm coming from a place of ignorance, not defense, as I just want to understand because it seems like his intentions and overall attitude has been one of kindness and the desire to do good.