• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Sony did a pretty poor job of properly advertising the Playstation Plus Collection as made particularly obvious from this video and this thread.

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understand why no one talks about PSnow, I mean the only difference is the lack of first-party titles on day 1, but no one even mentions that. poor thing.
As an active subscriber of bother a couple of other really big differences are 1) when Sony does put a first party game in its usually for only 3 months while MS Studio games are on GamePass indefinitely and 2) PS3 games are stream only

PSNow is a LOT better than it used to be but I think GamePass is still a better service at this time

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
These 2 always make me laughed. I feel I haven't seen any vids from them in awhile , gonna have to go and check what I missed .

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Girlfriend Reviews not being nominated for content creator of the year is the biggest snub of the Game Awards.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
You cannot be serious, there is no way anyone can defend the naming and no one would know that Series is better than the One series without at least googling about it, it's not intuitive AT ALL.
That's the problem with a lot of people here and hardcore gamers in general. They assume, because it's obvious to them, it's obvious to everyone else.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
PSNow library is three times bigger than Gamepass. People here seem to enjoy playing old games (not my thing) so it's kind of weird that PSNow doesn't have a fraction of the love Gamepass does
Poor marketing, bad pricing and kinda ahead of the whole streaming game, so people have already "forgotten" about it. Sony needs to rebrand it or change something big to start a conversation about it again. Probably include it as a tier in PS plus and remove the PS Now branding.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Shelby's timing is impeccable. I laughed so hard at the Xbox naming bit and "you gotta be kissing my butt".

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Poor marketing, bad pricing and kinda ahead of the who streaming game, so people have already "forgotten" about it. Sony needs to rebrand it or change something big to start a conversation about it again. Probably include it as a tier in PS plus and remove the PS Now branding.

I agree with poor marketing and pricing initially, but PSNow is $59.99 / ÂŁ49.99 for 12 months now. So for an enthusiast forum that often champions BC and "value" it's still weird to see PSNow often being omitted from the conversation.

Look at this thread and see how many people quoted that first page post where the poster said something like "I don't know why outlets are afraid to say PS5 is a better buy currently" and mention "value" for Series X|S

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I agree with poor marketing and pricing initially, but PSNow is $59.99 / ÂŁ49.99 for 12 months now. So for an enthusiast forum that often champions BC and "value" it's still weird to see PSNow often being omitted from the conversation.

Look at this thread and see how many people quoted that first page post where the poster said something like "I don't know why outlets are afraid to say PS5 is a better buy currently" and mention "value" for Series X|S

I mean, I won't take everyone seriously here. Some of them are very opinionated about things which are quite clearly wrong. But to play devil's advocate, Xbox has the day and date launch of it's first party titles as part of gamepass, which makes it a better value proposition to a lot of people.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
That was entertaining.

Though as a Series X only owner though Im not sure why so many outlets are afraid to flat out say that PS5 is a better buy right now.
Because it's not. To be frank neither is a good buy right now. You're paying $500 to play a bunch of stuff you've either already played one way or another, or could've played on a console you already owned/is $200 cheaper. PS5/ Xbox Series X|S is easily a wait until 2021-2022. Everything they offer can wait until games worth upgrading for release.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yup.

I have both the PS5 and the XSX and I'd argue that PS5 DE is the best value for the money, over the XSS. Only $100 more than the XSS while performing a lot better and being a good investment for lasting the gen, comes with a great albeit short game (Astro's Playroom), and its yearly online membership comes with a great selection of games including Uncharted 4, Arkham Knight, TLOU, Days Gone, God Of War, Bloodborne, and more.
Completely different value propositions. I already have those games I want from PS4 so how is it enticing?

If you only had One last time around sure, but I found more stuff in Gamepass from many more generations that I skipped. In fact I would say that X or S aren't worth it without Gamepass.

PS5 is an early access to the next gen but more of a GPU upgrade (very well worth it) with a great game exclusive to it, almost like the early 3d accelerators on PC.

Picking one or the other has never been more of a personal choice. Honestly I've been thinking about PS5 because of screen sharing more than Demon's Souls lol.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Girlfriend Reviews are amazinggg. Ive been playing Phasmophobia a bit with shelby and matt recently and theyre the sweetest people ever.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another fantastic video as always. Tony lol.

Glad they stayed impartial despite getting the Series X free and not the PS5. On that note, Sony really ought to have sent a PS5 to these guys.

I like how they dismissed/bypassed the spec debate with that, at the end what matters is the games.

Yea that was pretty funny.

Sony did a pretty poor job of properly advertising the Playstation Plus Collection as made particularly obvious from this video and this thread.

Yea, PS Plus collection is pretty stand out for its value, but I agree that the marketing for it was ho hum.

swibiheiz1t51.jpg

Think they've added more games since announcing it too. Plus for those who want PS3 BC, paying $10 for a month gets you access to hundreds of older titles.

Last edited:

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
She could have done a better joke about the naming, the joke doesnt really work. You know the PS5 is better than the PS4 by at least one? How can you not say the same about the xbox? Xbox ONE, Xbox SERIES? ONE=ONE SERIES=MULTIPLE. BY the very definitions of the words the series is at least one more than the one. This joke would have worked with ANY name that wasnt ONE, but in this case, it doesnt...

not sure if serious...

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
PSNow library is three times bigger than Gamepass. People here seem to enjoy playing old games (not my thing) so it's kind of weird that PSNow doesn't have a fraction of the love Gamepass does

PSNow isn't available everywhere.

Even if it was available in Australia, we aren't exactly known for our high speed internet, so streaming games just isn't an attractive option.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I never understand why no one talks about PSnow, I mean the only difference is the lack of first-party titles on day 1, but no one even mentions that. poor thing.

I mean, that one difference is an absolutely MASSIVE difference. Though it isn't the only difference anyway, as Microsoft also makes deals to get some third-party games on Game Pass at release, such as the Outer Wilds, Streets of Rage 4, and Tetris Effect Connected.

And it now includes EA Play at no additional cost.

I think PS Now is a fine value for what it offers, which has been mostly a larger repository of mostly older games. The reason people crow about Game Pass is because it's a frankly ridiculous value for what you get in return right now, and will only get more ridiculous with 23+ teams making games releasing directly into it, instead of a half dozen they started last generation with.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
That was entertaining.

Though as a Series X only owner though Im not sure why so many outlets are afraid to flat out say that PS5 is a better buy right now.

As someone with both, it's probably because it's not. Spiderman and Demon's Souls are nice, but the OS is currently borderline broken, and really underdeveloped. For example, there are severe issues with using external storage, making the small internal storage feel even more limiting. I've also had HDR handshake issues so bad that I was unable to play on my TV (luckily I have a 4k monitor).

Series X on the other hand, still has some great exclusives , like Yakuza, Tetris Effect Connected, an excellent selection of optimized game upgrades, and probably the best killer app of both consoles, Game Pass. To top that off, it has a significantly better UI, feels like a very solid, complete console in comparison, and when its fixed, I think Smart resume is the best OS next-gen feature. Also, in my experience, backwards compatibility is just better on Xbox. Many more games in native 4K, better BC features, and just a stronger initiative on Microsoft's end.

The PS5 certainly has a lot going for it, it is very powerful, very fast, it has a couple great exclusives, tge controller is really cool, and it has solid backcompat. Both are amazing consoles in thier own right, but I think the severe OS issues really bring the PS5 down right now (in my opinion).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone with both, it's probably because it's not. Spiderman and Demon's Souls are nice, but the OS is currently borderline broken, and really underdeveloped. For example, there are severe issues with using external storage, making the small internal storage feel even more limiting. I've also had HDR handshake issues so bad that I was unable to play on my TV (luckily I have a 4k monitor).

Series X on the other hand, still has some great exclusives , like Yakuza, Tetris Effect Connected, an excellent selection of optimized game upgrades, and probably the best killer app of both consoles, Game Pass. To top that off, it has a significantly better UI, feels like a very solid, complete console in comparison, and when its fixed, I think Smart resume is the best OS next-gen feature. Also, in my experience, backwards compatibility is just better on Xbox. Many more games in native 4K, better BC features, and just a stronger initiative on Microsoft's end.

The PS5 certainly has a lot going for it, it is very powerful, very fast, it has a couple great exclusives, tge controller is really cool, and it has solid backcompat. Both are amazing consoles in thier own right, but I think the severe OS issues really bring the PS5 down right now (in my opinion).

It doesn't just have a couple of great exclusives, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom (free), Bugsnax (free), Sackboy and The Pathless have all reviewed well and are worth playing. Then there's better versions of, or DualSense support for key next-gen multi-platform titles, plus the PS Plus Collection that has several of the best games from last gen included for free. I think you're underselling the PS5 here.

Personally I haven't had a single OS issue with mine yet either, so that's a very case by case basis thing.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
As someone with both services, Game Pass is in position to be absolutely huge in a year or two if Microsoft plays their cards right and why most people are excited about it. They now have 20+ studios to funnel games into the service on a regular basis and already have a steady stream of quality third-party, day one releases on the service. Not to mention there is now EA Play at no additional cost now.

PSNow is fine for what it is. It's got some good games on there and is fantastic if your looking for more older games. However, it has no marketing and despite the bigger library of games, I don't think it is as impressive compared to Game Pass but that is a more personal thing. I also extend the poor marketing to the PS Plus Collection, which is an excellent value and a great way for someone who skipped the PS4 to catch up but Sony rarely mentions it.

That was entertaining.

I also 100% agree with this. I like my Series X and don't regret getting it before the PS5 but Sony's machine is absolutely the better buy right now. If only because they have better, well, more like because the actually have software offerings. It is just more bang for your buck right now.

Last edited:

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
You cannot be serious, there is no way anyone can defend the naming. NO ONE would know that Series is better than the One series without at least googling about it, it's not intuitive AT ALL.
You are 100% right like i said many times. All i said was that the joke didnt work IMO. I didnt say she or anyone else was wrong about the naming being bad. In fact, i agreed with it from the staft.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It doesn't just have a couple of great exclusives, Demon's Souls, Miles Morales, Astro's Playroom (free), Bugsnax (free), Sackboy and The Pathless have all reviewed well and are worth playing. Then there's better versions of, or DualSense support for key next-gen multi-platform titles, plus the PS Plus Collection that has several of the best games from last gen included for free. I think you're underselling the PS5 here.

Personally I haven't had a single OS issue with mine yet either, so that's a very case by case basis thing.

I might come off as underselling PS5, and I don't mean to. I think it's a console on the brink of being amazing, that's just held back by a currently borderline broken and underdeveloped OS.

With regards to exclusives, I'm sure that's largely subjective. I absolutely love Demon's Souls, I enjoy Astrobot (although it's not entirely my type of game, it's a nice freebie with some cool gimmicks). Miles Morales looks great, Sackboy looks quite good, but I suppose part of my problem is that I can't afford to buy a lot of games for it right now. I'm basically riding on Demon's Souls, PS+, and my PS4 collection.

Which is partly why I'm probably enjoying the Xbox just as much, if not more right now. I'm having an awesome time with Yakuza, absolutely loving Tetris Connected, Planet Coaster, all the Xbox upgrades like Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizpn 4, Gears 5, Grounded, I'm finding a lot of bsckcpmpat games that run and look amazing on the system, like Battlefield V, Dead or Alive 6, State of Decay 2.

I would probably reccomend getting an Xbox right now, just because I am confident the system will work properly, and because with Game Pass it will almost instantly be an amazing experience for most people. I really want to be able to reccomend a PS5, and once Sony solves the storage issues, and other big OS bugs (like putting the system to sleep while a game is running causing severe issues), then I think it will be just as easy to reccomend.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
Halo Infinite was feeling a little Halo Impotent
happens to every mascot from time to time

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL hhahahahahahhahaha

Fantastic video like always :D

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
You are 100% right like i said many times. All i said was that the joke didnt work IMO. I didnt say she or anyone else was wrong about the naming being bad. In fact, i agreed with it from the staft.
Are you saying the naming is so bad that even writing jokes about it requires extensive intricate knowledge of their product and even then easy to screw up?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I won't take everyone seriously here. Some of them are very opinionated about things which are quite clearly wrong. But to play devil's advocate, Xbox has the day and date launch of it's first party titles as part of gamepass, which makes it a better value proposition to a lot of people.

True, but then, in the context of value, currently, there aren't many, if any, Xbox games coming out.

PSNow isn't available everywhere.

Even if it was available in Australia, we aren't exactly known for our high speed internet, so streaming games just isn't an attractive option.

I understand it's not available everywhere, but I still believe it should be part of the conversation. Also, PSNow has evolved and offers a download option to a substantial number of it's titles.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I understand it's not available everywhere, but I still believe it should be part of the conversation. Also, PSNow has evolved and offers a download option to a substantial number of it's titles.

A part of the conversation sure, but PSNow is just not Sony's equivalent to Microsoft's Game Pass. The fact that the service isn't available everywhere is enough of a reason that it should be clear why it "doesn't have a fraction of the love Gamepass does"

It's never going to matter that it has more games if it's available to less people, and those that can access it can't necessarily access all of it due to slower internet speeds.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Poor marketing, bad pricing and kinda ahead of the whole streaming game, so people have already "forgotten" about it. Sony needs to rebrand it or change something big to start a conversation about it again. Probably include it as a tier in PS plus and remove the PS Now branding.
I'd suggest PS Doubleplus(good).

Pretty cool video.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's not. To be frank neither is a good buy right now. You're paying $500 to play a bunch of stuff you've either already played one way or another, or could've played on a console you already owned/is $200 cheaper. PS5/ Xbox Series X|S is easily a wait until 2021-2022. Everything they offer can wait until games worth upgrading for release.
I'm pretty darn happy with my purchase (PS5 DE), it does feel like the next gen console I've been waiting for, playing anything from Demon's Souls to Miles, Sackboy, and Astro.

I don't agree with this take at all.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has the day and date launch of it's first party titles as part of gamepass, which makes it a better value proposition to a lot of people.
But it's not really a value proposition when it's only available in XBox ecosystem to begin with. If you want that in your library - GP doesn't change where it's available, it's a given.

For the rest - let's be honest - the 3rd party offering on GP library really isn't differentiating itself from PSNow.
The only other meaningful difference is local-play for 360 gen titles, but on the flip-side you get far more of PS3 library on PSNow, so it's not entirely clear cut.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
A part of the conversation sure, but PSNow is just not Sony's equivalent to Microsoft's Game Pass.

An assertion I never made.

The fact that the service isn't available everywhere is enough of a reason that it should be clear why it "doesn't have a fraction of the love Gamepass does"

I disagree. The wording is clear. Fraction. I didn't expect to see similar amount of a love-in with the service. Fact of the matter is the service is available in some key markets for Sony, thus it should be part or the conversation and deserves a fraction of the love Gamepass gets considering it's library and pricing.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
An assertion I never made.

I never claimed otherwise.

Fact of the matter is the service is available in some key markets for Sony, thus it should be part or the conversation and deserves a fraction of the love Gamepass gets considering it's library and pricing.

I wasn't responding to what you personally believe "deserves" to be part of the conversation, I was responding to you saying that it was "weird" that PSNow wasn't getting enough love when it's "library is three times bigger than Gamepass". A bigger library isn't enough of a positive to counter the negatives that are lack of availability and the fact that is in part a streaming service. Add to that the fact that Game Pass is a focus for MS whereas PSNow isn't for Sony, and it really shouldn't be "weird" at all.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I never claimed otherwise.

I wasn't responding to what you personally believe "deserves" to be part of the conversation, I was responding to you saying that it was "weird" that PSNow wasn't getting enough love when it's "library is three times bigger than Gamepass". A bigger library isn't enough of a positive to counter the negatives that are lack of availability and the fact that is in part a streaming service. Add to that the fact that Game Pass is a focus for MS whereas PSNow isn't for Sony, and it really shouldn't be "weird" at all.

Then why mention Now not being Sony's equivalent to Gamepass when that was never said or what was being discussed. Random.

You weren't responding to what I personally believe deserves to be part of the conversation, but you responded to what I personally find weird. That being how Now doesn't get a fraction of the love Gamepass gets. I've already substantiated why I find it weird. The service exists in key markets for Sony, offers a bigger library of games than it's counterparts at a great price. I don't care if something is considered to be a "focus", that doesn't change the factors I've mentioned. What is this conversation?

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get the whole "not a good buy yet" debate. Those consoles will stay at their launch price for quite a while, so even if you only play cross-gen games you could have also played on PS4/Xbox One, you're getting more use for your money than people who will buy only once God of War or Halo hit the consoles. Obviously this only applies to people with the disposable income to splash on the devices right now. If you are strapped for cash to spend on entertainment, you're not missing out on too much arguably, but to say "not a good buy yet" is just something I wouldn't say about most new consoles. Especially in this gen, with backwards compatibility being awesome and (mostly) free next gen patches being a thing, you're getting quite a bit out of your purchase even in the usually lukewarm launch months. I think all of the consoles are awesome. If you want some new experiences right now and are into Sony first party games, grab a PS5 (well if or whenever you can). If you want a console that has a subscription service with a large pool of "free" games, some of which are very recent and the entire first party lineup day and date, get an Xbox One Series S or X. With hardware being great for all consoles and Sony coming out with their usual great first party support and Xbox getting a big new Halo + Bethesda games later down the line, I feel better about this gen than any other gen. Just great offerings all around from Sony and Microsoft (oh and Nintendo as well obviously, the Switch is the perfect companion for any other console / PC).

Oh and entertaining video as always, to get back to the topic :)

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

What isn't a case-by-base situation is the fact that the PS OS took huge steps backwards. No themes, no folders, tons of missing apps that were available on PS4, etc etc etc. Other than running faster (generally) than it did on PS4, the PS5 OS so far has been a huge disappointment. Cards are just straight up stupid at this point. I click on my card for Demon's Soul save and it just loads the game normally into all the menus. The only time the card actually functions properly is if I'm in the game already which defeats the purpose. All that is aside from the obvious bugs that they're at least releasing patch after patch for, but unfortunately I'm still getting games that crash right out to the OS still. And it's not an isolated problem.

Xbox's UI is far more stable, and it maintained all of the app support. Quite frankly PS5's app support doesn't bother me because even at its best on PS4, it couldn't hold a candle to XB1's app support. But the Xbox UI isn't perfect either. Quick Resume is probably the coolest new feature this gen, but its buggy as hell and lacking in features (like obvious ones such as showing you which game is using QR). All in all, as far as the OS/UI goes, Xbox is easily in the lead for me. Except for aesthetics. I hate their blocks and squares, which for some reason Sony copied with their Card system.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
But it's not really a value proposition when it's only available in XBox ecosystem to begin with. If you want that in your library - GP doesn't change where it's available, it's a given.

If someone can stream those games on a samsung TV and andorid devices, isn't that more widely available than PS now ? I even cancelled my Series X pre-order as I felt I don't really need it when I can just use gamepass on PC and stream games on my tablet.