• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what people are complaining about, nor do I care. My wife and I love the channel because it's so relatable, since she's often a backseat gamer to me. The Dark Souls video had us loling hard.

Heh heh heh heh...

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Cool video as always :)
So the girl from their profile pic is actually her or did I miss that joke?
See you all next week when they combine the mess present in this thread with Star Wars, now this is gonna be fun

OP
OP
LBsquared

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Two youtubers with close to 1M subs don't know about some recent youtube scandal involving motherfucking pewdiepie
Ok
Tell us more about your intimate knowledge of these two people you've never met. These two people whose crimes include shouting out PDP, which never happened, and doing a stream with Boogie, which also never happened. Yet the people denouncing them keep pointing to those "facts" as evidence. As someone else said earlier, at least the thread has been a boon for my ignore list.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Funny, I could say the same of you.

But hey, continue the dogpiling 'cause I don't liked what you liked.
How about, "I called people shitheels on a boatload of presumptions based on scant evidence, and now that those people have actually denounced PDP and Boogie on their stream, I feel embarassed but don't want to back down, cause that will make me look like an idiot."

Mate, apologizing for being wrong never looks bad on ANYONE. As for looking like an idiot, you're already doing that very well. So what do you have to lose?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From day one some people have been oddly upset at this channel. This whole alt-right accusation is just bonkers and an example of the worst parts of resetera
I'm at least comforted that we are finally seeing some significant backlash against the absurd alt-right accusations.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm at least comforted that we are at least finally seeing some significant backlash against the absurd alt-right accusations.

Yeah this is my take away too

Also it's telling that the people who made the stupid comments on the first page seemingly fled the soon as people started calling them out

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
He has always written the scripts. That's why they always reflect the actual experience the games. He's a professional writer/editor or whatever. She is a professional performer. They always go over the scripts together though and a lot of the gags are hers in recording. It's still very much a collaborative thing though. He's just a professional writer. For example when they are playing through the game, they'll take notes, both of them. That's as well as I remember.

They did a video about it a little bit ago.

Yeah i remember the video.
As i said, nothing wrong with that, i just am less involved when i hear Shelby voicing Matt's opinions on a game (which are of course more structured and in depth, and for that type of review i look elsewhere) instead of her own hilarious weird opinions.

As i said, it's just one type of approach that is perfectly fine, and i will keep watching and support them untill interest fades away. For now they are my sweet little babies.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed how these threads always end up and how people jump to conclusion, just because of 1 or 2 harmless things they have said/done. If you would watch their streams and actually gave them a chance, you would get a better picture of them, because they are not anything like some posts here make them out to be. But if you don't want to believe me, then start by watching the video below.

I hope someone can actually get a clip of this so we finally, finally get evidence of something that really happened on stream

Here you go (timestamp at 2h 37m 24s roughly):

Click on the Twitch logo, if you want to read the chat reactions, as well. Shoutout to the people that tried to paint a better picture of us.

Also, in case that Girlfriend Reviews is still reading the thread. There are no "top comments" on here (thankfully).

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
People here have be throwing shade at this channel for a while for "alt-right ties." The closest alt-right ties they have is a joke they made about PDP. The other sin against them is a livestream with Boogie that no one ever seems to be able to find or confirmed ever happened whenever that accusation comes up. Some people here are so hooked on dunking on Youtubers that they resort to outright lies. There's plenty of actually shitty Youtubers to dunk on if that's your thing, no need to have this weird fixation to lie about this channel just so you can get mad on the internet.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed how these threads always end up and how people jump to conclusion, just because of 1 or 2 harmless things they have said/done. If you would watch their streams and actually gave them a chance, you would get a better picture of them, because they are not anything like some posts here make them out to be. But if you don't want to believe me, then start by watching the video below.

Click on the Twitch logo, if you want to read the chat reactions, as well. Shoutout to the people that tried to paint a better picture of us.

Also, in case that Girlfriend Reviews is still reading the thread. There are no "top comments" on here (thankfully).

Can totally tell the dude knows more about the situation than lets on. "And even if we did support them, so fucking what?" Hm maybe some of your less white audience wouldn't be ok with you supporting a guy who calls people n-words when he dies in a video game?

Real actual info about the couple involved in these videos

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So, to recap:
  • They did not "shout out pewdiepie." They misspelled) his name once as a joke with zero context. (Link)
  • They did not "do a collaborative stream with boogie," as far as anyone can tell. He tweeted praising their channel and all they did was reply "boogie has spoken." (Link)
  • They did not "mock" feminism or Anita Sarkeesian. Shelby was asked why she wasn't the one who played all the games (she does play some), and answered honestly that she felt overwhelmed by them — not that she found them generally objectionable. (Link)
  • They did give NakeyJakey a shoutout, who was himself involved with drama for hugging noted racist JonTron.
  • They condemned PDP and boogie's actions last night on stream after hearing about them, and explicitly said they do not support or watch either of them. (Link)
  • They asked the pertinent people attacking them on ResetEra to stop, because none of the claims against them are true.
If any there's anything I've missed, please let me know.

Can we put all this garbage to rest now? They are not problematic, nor even problematic-adjacent, as far as I can tell. People have played a big game of telephone with no receipts because they're eager to put down this channel, and such derails should be moderated accordingly.

Last edited:

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
It was a very wholesone video. They are not looking like i would imagined them to look though : D

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can totally tell the dude knows more about the situation than lets on. "And even if we did support them, so fucking what?" Hm maybe some of your less white audience wouldn't be ok with you supporting a guy who calls people n-words when he dies in a video game?

It's interesting to see people double down on the hot takes in front of the evidence.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

You are grasping at air because all the straws were smacked out of your hand. There is no evidence of any wrongdoing on their part. Stop this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They seem thrilled for their newfound fame and happy to engage with the audience. They're so fun!

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
People here have be throwing shade at this channel for a while for "alt-right ties." The closest alt-right ties they have is a joke they made about PDP. The other sin against them is a livestream with Boogie that no one ever seems to be able to find or confirmed ever happened whenever that accusation comes up. Some people here are so hooked on dunking on Youtubers that they resort to outright lies. There's plenty of actually shitty Youtubers to dunk on if that's your thing, no need to have this weird fixation to lie about this channel just so you can get mad on the internet.

People just get excited to cancel someone online for any reason they can dig up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So, to recap:
  • They did not "shout out pewdiepie." They misspelled) his name once as a joke with zero context. (Link)
  • They did not "do a collaborative stream with boogie," as far as anyone can tell. He tweeted praising their channel and all they did was reply "boogie has spoken." (Link)
  • They did not "mock" feminism or Anita Sarkeesian. Shelby was asked why she wasn't the one who played all the games (she does play some), and answered honestly that she felt overwhelmed by them — not that she found them generally objectionable. (Link)
  • They did give NakeyJakey a shoutout, who was himself involved with drama for hugging noted racist JonTron.
  • They condemned PDP and boogie's actions last night on stream after hearing about them, and explicitly said they do not support or watch either of them. (Link)

Can we put all this garbage to rest now? They are not problematic, nor even problematic-adjacent, as far as I can tell. People have played a big game of telephone with no receipts because they're eager to put down this channel, and such derails should be moderated accordingly.

This is a good summary, maybe it should be added to the OP?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So, to recap:

Good summary.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine giving this much of a shit about what other people enjoy, lmao. Some people have too much time on their hands man.

urbanvanilla

Oct 28, 2017
After years of never posting, I was actually watching this stream while this shitstorm of a thread was brewing.
Some people in this forum have very little self awareness. There are valid points on both sides but some of the people going hard into this left and right argument reek of self righteousness

So glad you are such a master of the human psyche, you can decipher it without seeing a face on a stream while he plays Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup. Bravo. Maybe he meant it shouldn't matter, except to people like you who draw conclusions from a very small pool of information.

They make content that for, a lot of people, is enjoyable, well produced and somewhat honest. They look like nice people. We don't know their entire back story and skeleton closet and we don't really need to.
Honestly if this is not what this kind of thread is mostly about discussing, I think the big 'reset' was really just a pivot and some of you are really overcompensating.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
So, to recap:

They didnt realy condemne them though. They mostly said they dont care about them but there would be no issue if they would support them.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, the defenders of Girlfriend Reviews channel in this thread are all the ones going on about the myth of "cancel culture" by critics, that suddenly critics are "cancelling" this channel. That's the example where this video is relevant. It's a disingenuous, hyperbolic, and inaccurate strawman. There is so much mention of it that now there is a staff post.
It's really telling that after that staff post you felt free to quote 10 people at once and...doing meta cxommentary the staff post talks about. Because you're on the right side of the argument you feel like you can do whatever the fuck you want, right?

People call these two "complete shitheels" and "the worlds biggest PDP fans" in this very thread.
You're right about someone here being disingenuous, hyperbolic and inaccurate. It's not me or the other people you quoted.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok I mean it's right there in the video but sure

Sorry someone criticized your favorite youtubers but lets go off about CaNCeL CuLtURe OuT oF COnTROl

Can people not defend themselves or is the point to immediately start grovelling for apologies????? The accusations thrown at them are pretty damn severe here (fortunately in only a few posts).
This site has some really weird virtuous standards for a wiiiide variety of topics. But this is one I don't think worth the time/energy for. If shit changes, that's different, but this just...doesn't feel enough, and throws a LOT of slippery slope presumptions their way.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
they're just a couple of typical redditors that repeat established popular opinion on popular things in a very well-produced format with little regard for the associations they have with other popular figures, negative or positive. they just like popular shit and will do what they think they need to do to be popular, including embracing and broadcasting reactionary sentiments and negativity campaigns aimed at attacking developers or creatives, like pokemon or star wars. it's entertaining but also entirely valueless at its core
Tbh, this is the best post in this entire thread. I no longer possess the energy to go back and forth in threads like these.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Can people not defend themselves or is the point to immediately start grovelling for apologies????? The accusations thrown at them are pretty damn severe here (fortunately in only a few posts).
Defending themselves is fine, but so is me pointing out what I find objectionable in their reasoning. The 'so what if we supported them' commentary what I brought up, it should be obvious why people would take issue if you supported a white supremacist.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I love their content, I hope they continue for a long time.
This thread sure went downhill fast.

I love their content, I could care less which big youtubers they shout out or make jokes about. I judge them by they content they create, not the company they barely keep.

They are both extremely talented.

The derailment was fast indeed.

I don't expect them to know every misstep some famous youtuber ever had, much less every opinion or crime.
When they start defending these kind of things then I will stop following their channel

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
So, to recap:
  • They asked the pertinent people attacking them on ResetEra to stop, because none of the claims against them are true.

Good post. Reading this forum sometimes I get the impression that people are trying really hard to find a shortcut into heaven, using slacktivist tactics. Its reductive, exhausting, and in the end, I doubt anyone is impressed by harshness being passed of as wokeness.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Where is your evidence that they said this?

crono686

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
They look like actual humans from planet earth and I find that unacceptable
Come on man, no reason to be sarcastic. I didn't say anything controversial. Humans tend to construct faces to voices in their head from their own life experiences. And i connected these voices to people i know with similar voices and they look very different. Never intended more to say with my comment.
Edit: And definitly nothing negative.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
You're actively ignoring that this entire derail began with these posts, which are the very things you've called others — disingenuous and overdramatic:

These are not criticism. The thread was not derailed by criticism. It was derailed by hyperbole derived from a game of telephone, which should have been moderated accordingly. I would wager neither person has even viewed the content they're lambasting them for, if they think it makes them "PDP's biggest fans" or "complete shitheels."
I reported those 2 posts just now. Let's see what happens, probably nothing. Makes me remember the old GAF, absolute asshole like Amir0x were given a free pass because they were assholes against people that were deemed as the enemy. Then everybody found out what he really was.

OP
OP
LBsquared

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019

Their reaction to those two asinine posts are spot-on.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Well this is a thread

Reminds me of their pokemon review where three pages in people bought up pewdiepie in response to their criticism of the game

This thread is far more people whining about purity tests and Era than it is unreasonable criticism of GF reviews. Like it's not even close.

I like GF reviews. I think they are funny and serve an under represented perspective. I don't personally think they have done or said anything that would make me form a strong negative or positive opinion. I don't think it's that deep honestly. They seem like they just have fun playing games and making content and that's cool.

That said, people really freak the fuck out over any criticism. Like, given all of PDP and Boogie's studity over the years, I don't find it wild that people have just had it with youtubers just casually boosting these guys appeal. I dont agree with the whole claiming their racist or shit heels stuff. Those people are being dumb. But this is the internet and every thread has tons of stupid ass hot takes and if we did this everytime something dumb was said we would never have productive discussion about anything. They have never given us any reason to think that they are bad people but some of yall are being so sensitive over some of these comments.

So, to recap:

How deep in the video are we suppose to watch to find this claim? I listened for 15 minutes into the posted link and did not hear anything about this. They said they did not watch these streamers and dont support them on the basis of not watching them. They never condemned them based on the things they represent. Matt specifically said "even if we did support them, who gives a shit? Millions of people support the dude."

The link you posted doesn't say what you are framing. Unless that is way deeper in the video which you probably need to time stamp that shit better then.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Throwing shitty YTers is funny when it's deserved, but goddamn even the ones that haven't done anything too egregious have the the harshest critics. Jimquisition makes videos about shitty video game business tactics and STILL gets flack in every goddamn thread about him.

GR might be right, there's trolls on here injecting just as much vitriol here to help everyone have shittier time.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know if it's acceptable at any point to hug a racist or if I need to push grandma off a cliff, lol.

They're cute. If they regularly associated with objectionable characters, I'd be pretty unhappy. I don't think they do that, though...I hope not anyway. I like their content.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Come on man, no reason to be sarcastic. I didn't say anything controversial. Humans tend to construct faces to voices in their head from their own life experiences. And i connected these voices to people i know with similar voices and they look very different. Never intended more to say with my comment.
Edit: And definitly nothing negative.

I wasn't implying any intent from your post with my joke response, sorry if it came off that way.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just want to know if it's acceptable at any point to hug a racist or if I need to push grandma off a cliff, lol.

They're cute. If they regularly associated with objectionable characters, I'd be pretty unhappy. I don't think they do that, though...I hope not anyway. I like their content.
Don't worry, they're not associated with pdp or boogie. Not even once.

Status
Not open for further replies.