• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I like them entertainment-wise, and Shelby is an adorable S-tier goof, but the more videos i watch the more i start to feel his input on the script.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just takes away some of the charm (Shelby's POV) of the channel for me.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I do get that.

Again, for me, there is enough connection between these incidences for me to become skeptical of their overall views. Does that mean they are what I think they are? Nope.

As for me, I just would rather not support them.

Again, my main argument is that these are oddly specific individual YouTubers to be mentioning when there are SO many other YouTubers without baggage they could've mentioned instead.

To me, it just seems like they could've made a better effort to avoid mentioning the ones many of us are upset about.

But, yeah...it's just a sign of the political times. Everything is much more sensitive and loaded, and it will be for the foreseeable future.
See, I actually support being sensitive to everyone's objections.

But i also see the issue with rushing to bring the hammer down on someone so ruthlessly with so little suggestion of personal wrong-doing.

Oct 25, 2017
The video is good and I get the message but it's not the whole picture.

all of his examples are valid. I didn't see any examples in his video like the situation with the youtubers in the OP, where the guilt is by faint association and not actual actions.
I don't understand what you mean. Lots of people here are complaining about cancel culture, which isn't a thing, in reference to other people who are simply criticizing 'GR' (inflammatory or not).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what you mean. Lots of people here are complaining about cancel culture, which isn't a thing, in reference to other people who are simply criticizing 'GR' (inflammatory or not).
Because, by and large Cancel Culture really isn't a thing, but it also kind of is because there is a subset of people who get glee in chasing down any potential violation of their moral view, as well as some bad faith actors. It can lead to its own form of harassment.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

I attribute it to a lazy way of dismissing criticism. I understand why people don't care about the stuff mentioned. I think it'd be cool if the reverse was true in this thread.

Some of the people taking this stuff personally is worrying.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
These guys make great content and I will continue consuming it regardless of who they support.

The internet treats everything as so black and white it's absolutely tiring sometimes.

You can be friends, colleagues or acquaintances with people without agreeing with their political views. Try interacting with people outside of the internet sometimes.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
It's weird how people take this forum so personal.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These guys make great content and I will continue consuming it regardless of who they support.

The internet treats everything as so black and white it's absolutely tiring sometimes.

You can be friends, colleagues or acquaintances with people without agreeing with their political views. Try interacting with people outside of the internet sometimes.
do we even actually know their political views?

i don't think such brief, possibly pragmatic inter-promotion between YouTubers is necessarily telling of their political views

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
do we even actually know their political views?

i don't think such brief, possibly pragmatic inter-promotion between YouTubers is necessarily telling of their political views

Not necessarily left leaning or right leaning but just the guilt by association narrative that is driven whenever someone could be friends with PDP or Boogie or which ever Internet personality people have a hate boner for at the time.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I attribute it to a lazy way of dismissing criticism. I understand why people don't care about the stuff mentioned. I think it'd be cool if the reverse was true in this thread.

Some of the people taking this stuff personally is worrying.
What is the criticism that is being "dismissed"?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The honesty is nice. However saying you'd support them no matter who they support is pretty damn gross to me.

I can't be friends with white supremacists. Frankly if you can, that's on you.

What is the criticism that is being "dismissed"?

I feel like I've already discussed this with you.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I've watched every one of their videos and have no idea how people can get so worked up about them. It's a cute channel that occasionally reference's other YouTube personalities for maybe a second, and trying to extrapolate some sort of political leaning from that is insanity.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Could we just have someone create an OT? I think every time a fresh thread gets created, it just revitalizes this argument.

Or maybe it wouldn't help...I don't know.

I think making an OT to stop people from shitposting is treating the symptoms, not the cause. It would be better to remove or warn the shitposters, or to set out guidelines that are along the lines of, "if Era doesn't think they need to be added to the no platform list, then derailing the thread to say they're scumbags for perceived previous missteps should be actionable"

There is nothing wrong with being critical or disappointed in them for shouting out PDP, but if posts saying they're shitheels or something like that are allowed then it's obviously going to derail the thread. This was a fun video and most of the discussion here has been about something they did months and months ago. I appreciate the mod post but discussing something other than the vid in a polite manner that avoids generalisations is still allowing the thread to derail from the OP

If people have only come here to say "They're scumbags" then that is the definition of shitposting, and that is a million miles away from "I watched the video and had some comments to make on it, however I also feel disappointed that they did X in the past"

I think it would be absurd to no platform them based on what they have done, but if that doesn't happen, and threads are allowed, then it's disappointing to have them always end up derailed. There are a lot of YouTubers and gaming personalities I dislike, but I don't shit up every single one of their threads with pointless derailing comments

The only positive sign is it seems like the majority of people here are fed up with the shitposters

Not necessarily left leaning or right leaning but just the guilt by association narrative that is driven whenever someone could be friends with PDP or Boogie or which ever Internet personality people have a hate boner for at the time.

It's the specificity of these YouTube personalities and the far right baggage they carry vs. the total lack of any counterbalance (to my knowledge) to the left in their videos that leads a lot of us to suspect they might carry some similar nationalist views, too.

I think making an OT to stop people from shitposting is treating the symptoms, not the cause. It would be better to remove or warn the shitposters, or to set out guidelines that are along the lines of, "if Era doesn't think they need to be added to the no platform list, then derailing the thread to say they're scumbags for perceived previous missteps should be actionable"

There is nothing wrong with being critical or disappointed in them for shouting out PDP, but if posts saying they're shitheels or something like that are allowed then it's obviously going to derail the thread This was a fun video and most of the discussion here has been about something they did months and months ago. I appreciate the mod post but discussing something other than the vid in a polite manner that avoids generalisations is still allowing the thread to derail from the OP

If people have only come here to say "They're scumbags" then that is the definition of shitposting, and that is a million miles away from "I watched the video and had some comments to make on it, however I also feel disappointed that they did X in the past"

I think it would be absurd to no platform them based on what they have done, but if that doesn't happen, and threads are allowed, then it's disappointing to have them always end up derailed. There are a lot of YouTubers and gaming personalities I dislike, but I don't shit up every single one of their threads with pointless derailing comments

The only positive sign is it seems like the majority of people here are fed up with the shitposters

That may be.
But, I think it would still cause less of an overall reaction than having a new thread to revitalize arguments.

Also, there would only have to be one staff post vs one for every new thread.

Bear in mind, I am quite skeptical of their worldview and would rather not see them discussed at all - at least given what I currently know from their videos - but others aren't so quick to judge by association as I am in this case, which I can understand.

So, I think an OT is a happy medium for now.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Because, by and large Cancel Culture really isn't a thing, but it also kind of is because there is a subset of people who get glee in chasing down any potential violation of their moral view, as well as some bad faith actors. It can lead to its own form of harassment.
So:

- Cancel Culture is kind of a thing, you say
- you suggest "glee in chasing down" as if they don't have real concerns they want to voice
- you ascribe the word "potential" to something that is real
- you call this harassment

I won't call you a bad faith actor despite you framing everything in such a distorted way. Instead, I think you're likely ignorant and unwilling to see things differently. That sucks. Try considering the impact of someone like PDP or boogie and how other content creators with significant platforms choosing to present them innocuously and favourably, however briefly, is a form of endorsement and normalization. There is zero chance they are not aware of the controversy surrounding him or boogie. The fact that the script writer, Matt, is a Joe Rogan fan makes it plain that he/they just doesn't/don't care.

One facet to all of this is that some of you similarly may not care what PDP represents and want to see everything through this apolitical gamer's lens. It's convenient but it isn't for everyone. Try to understand that.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
The honesty is nice. However saying you'd support them no matter who they support is pretty damn gross to me.

I can't be friends with white supremacists. Frankly if you can, that's on you.

I feel like I've already discussed this with you.

Well I mean within reason lmao.

Some people might argue PDP is a white supremacist if you can see what I'm saying.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Well I mean within reason lmao.

Some people might argue PDP is a white supremacist if you can see what I'm saying.

Okay I'm glad you cleared that up! Think of it this way, for you the scale of which you'd continue to watch their vids is different from mine or others. My scale is probably smaller than yours in terms of what I'd tolerate because I'd rather talk to you lovely people :p.

I would argue that PDP has no problem with white supremacy and some of his actions have encouraged it in the past.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Bear in mind, I am quite skeptical of their worldview and would rather not see them discussed at all - at least given what I currently know from their videos - but others aren't so quick to judge by association as I am in this case, which I can understand.

Then you could always not discuss them here

Every time you post here you bump the thread, and cause people to reply to you, which then bumps it again.

You're making their videos more visible to people on Era, and driving more people towards their content

It's 100% valid to not like them for any reason, and if the PDP thing is enough for you, then good for you, I take it you also would prefer Geoff Keighley and Cory Barlog are banned as a topic of discussion too, and that's fine too if that's your opinion, but it would also stifle discussion to turn every thread on God of War or The Game Awards into trying to prove we should ban discussion of people for a single perceived misstep

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Why on earth would they want to spend any time here, a place where a mod refers to them as "complete shitheels"?

Yeah I think that might have been the last straw for me. I'll find a Reddit or something that can fill the era void. I'll try.

To be fair not all mods are like that, some are more rational than others.
Also mods disagree with each other all the time, especially stuff like bans. So I don't think a single mod represents the whole site. (EDIT: and It's not even a mod)

Back to the topic, I agree with you that the site has become increasingly toxic.
I've have joined ResetEra since the fall of NeoGAF and have more than 8,500 posts here but to be honest with you I'm enjoying it less and less over the years.

This has become a place where people came to dump their extreme negativity and hatred for various things, even with good intentions people still managed to make it toxic.

Think about it, what is the intention behind the Girlfriend Reviews accusations here? They want to fight racism right? That's why they are so angry that Girlfriend Reviews shout out to NakeyJakey who hugged Jon-Racist-Tron, right?

So what's the plan here? Bring it up everytime they release a new video? Spam the whole thread with ''Don't forget they shout out to NakeyJakey last year'' ?
Why not go to r/GirlfriendReviews and do it there If you so desperate want to call out their problematic political stance?

In what ways are you even fighting racism or JonTron? All you're doing here is making this site more toxic and less pleasant by the day, eventually everyone will be banned and all that's left are the people who repeat the same shit over and over again.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Week): Antagonising multiple users, ignoring staff post
The video is good and I get the message but it's not the whole picture.

all of his examples are valid. I didn't see any examples in his video like the situation with the youtubers in the OP, where the guilt is by faint association and not actual actions.
No, the defenders of Girlfriend Reviews channel in this thread are all the ones going on about the myth of "cancel culture" by critics, that suddenly critics are "cancelling" this channel. That's the example where this video is relevant. It's a disingenuous, hyperbolic, and inaccurate strawman. There is so much mention of it that now there is a staff post.
I love their content. Ridiculous to me how some people #canceled them just because they gave a shout out to pewdiepie, but hey to each their own. I'll continue to enjoy their videos
It's funny that they cancelled them but can't stop going into threads about them to let others know they don't watch them.
ProZD collaborated with them in a video but I haven't seen anybody on this forum calling him a shitheel. Maybe somebody should contact him on Twitter and tell him he is #cancelled too.
I wonder why it is OK to call Matt and Shelby awful things for mentioning PDP once (not even promoting him or agreeing with shit the did) but others that directly work with them don't suffer the same scrutiny.
Also, didn't Geoff Johns give a freaking award to Boogie? Yet Matt and Shelby are the monsters.
No clue. Chronic virtue signalers are really scraping the bottom of the barrel here
It's pretty insufferable. There are battles worth fighting, but attacking people who are not themselves responsible for any wrongdoing is not having a positive impact on anything — quite the opposite. Go down the rabbit hole of guilt-by-the-smallest-association and everyone would be #cancelled.

But we all know most of this is because they made a negative Pokemon video, so they're held to different standards. Just like Arlo — another generally positive and friendly YouTuber — in the thread for his critical review of SwSh. Transparent as fuck.
These sweet wholesome people mentioned pewdiepie once so they're irredeemable trash.

Question if my nieces mentioned pewdiepie would I have to sever all contact with them? I know they watched him when they were a little younger but I don't know if they have lately. What's the cut off before they become trash? What are the rules? Let's just cancel everyone just to be safe. I'm gonna tape over my monitor to make sure I never see someone who might have referenced someone who ever said anything bad
Yep, that was literally it lol. Some people are so invested in cancelling others they lose the plot a bit sometimes.
if they don't immediately cancel the same people you cancelled, they're trash.
watching the video, replying here, then watching the contrapoints' canceling video and then coming back to read comments does show how canceling work lol
They supported someone who hugged JonTron, so they're canceled by proxy? Are you serious with this shit?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would they want to spend any time here, a place where a mod refers to them as "complete shitheels"?
Yeah I think that might have been the last straw for me. I'll find a Reddit or something that can fill the era void. I'll try.
Just to be clear, no mod said that. Thanatos, who did say that, is not a staff member.

EDIT: Nevermind, an admin already addressed the problem post.
<3

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

Every time you post here you bump the thread, and cause people to reply to you, which then bumps it again.

You're making their videos more visible to people on Era, and driving more people towards their content

It's 100% valid to not like them for any reason, and if the PDP thing is enough for you, then good for you, I take it you also would prefer Geoff Keighley and Cory Barlog are banned as a topic of discussion too, and that's fine too if that's your opinion, but it would also stifle discussion to turn every thread on God of War or The Game Awards into trying to prove we should ban discussion of people for a single perceived misstep

Who here is asking for all discussion of them to be banned? People are taking exception to even talking about their issues with the channel.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So:

- Cancel Culture is kind of a thing, you say
- you suggest "glee in chasing down" as if they don't have real concerns they want to voice
- you ascribe the word "potential" to something that is real
- you call this harassment

I won't call you a bad faith actor despite you framing everything in such a distorted way. Instead, I think you're likely ignorant and unwilling to see things differently. That sucks. Try considering the impact of someone like PDP or boogie and how other content creators with significant platforms choosing to present them innocuously and favourably, however briefly, is a form of endorsement and normalization. There is zero chance they are not aware of the controversy surrounding him or boogie. The fact that the script writer, Matt, is a Joe Rogan fan makes it plain that he/they just doesn't/don't care.

One facet to all of this is that some of you similarly may not care what PDP represents and want to see everything through this apolitical gamer's lens. It's convenient but it isn't for everyone. Try to understand that.
"I won't call you a bad faith actor despite you framing everything in such a distorted way."

This is the kind of shit a lawyer would say to lead a jury

i don't think your sentiments on the issue are wrong as a whole, i just think there is room for more nuance

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Who here is asking for all discussion of them to be banned? People are taking exception to even talking about their issues with the channel.

Literally the person I was replying to:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Literally the person I was replying to:

I would say your misinterpreting that post. The user says if they had their preference but they acknowledge other people feel differently and that they understand. Which is kinda what I've been getting at. There exists a happy medium where both can be discussed reasonably without anyone whining about cancel culture or calling them shit heels.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just wanna say it was really interesting to read this thread. And I feel it's pretty close encapsulation of this forum, for the most part.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I would say your misinterpreting that post. The user says if they had their preference but they acknowledge other people feel differently and that they understand. Which is kinda what I've been getting at. There exists a happy medium where both can be discussed reasonably without anyone whining about cancel culture or calling them shit heels.

Yeah I agree, and that is what the mod post was saying, but as I said in a previous post, that only serves to ensure the thread is politely and respectfully derailed, and that those who want to discuss the video/channel always end up struggling to do so while the video is ignored while everyone discusses how awful they are to have said the names of other toxic people

It's also a double standard you don't see with other online personalities who you could argue have associated themselves with worse people to a greater extent

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seem like really cool people to hang out with, guess that's one of the reasons their videos work. I do hope that if the guys complaining right now ever get a chance at a somewhat popular project, fellow Era users will follow them around pointing out that they're actually TRASH because they like a game company that uses crunch or enjoy an artist's music who's had dodgy stuff in his past. Because obviously enjoying certain things involved with bad things makes you terrible people regardless.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Calling something out requires drawing attention to it, yes.

What you're saying actually works better as a criticism of all the people flooding this thread with passionate, frequently disingenuous meta commentary on cancel culture, virtue signaling, toxicity oh Era/the left, and so on. Presumably, what you want is a chill thread to discuss these beloved YouTubers. What you're doing instead, though, is taking a handful of posts (and a few particularly vehement ones) that could have been easily ignored or calmly responded to and turning them into this super heated, drawn out discussion that inevitably stops being about the YouTubers at all.

Listen, some framing:

1) No one is cancelling Girlfriend Reviews.
2) For good reason, a lot of people are skeptical of YouTube as a platform, and especially with how YouTubers tend to use it. A jovial PewDiePie reference here, a flash of friendliness with Boogie there, a joke at feminists' expense here, a bad moment to showcase NakeyJakey there ... it all adds up to a comfort level with YouTube's worst that makes the apolitical, positive veneer look a touch compromised, especially in the eyes of those who just wish everybody cared more about YouTube being a better place.

It's really that simple. Girlfriend Reviews does good stuff, seems like a cute couple, blah blah blah. Personally, though, my bandwidth for YouTube rot isn't that high these days, and seeing some of it make an appearance in their videos without any mitigating action outside of easily commercialized cutesy well edited games analysis does hurt my perception of the channel.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed their content the first dozen or so vids. It was really fun and well written... but it kind of became the same video after a while. Quality slipped a bit. But it really was super fun in the start

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Can we have a resetera's guide to good/bad YouTube persons? Because I for sure don't know what is okay to watch and what not anymore, lol.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Calling something out requires drawing attention to it, yes.

What you're saying actually works better as a criticism of all the people flooding this thread with passionate, frequently disingenuous meta commentary on cancel culture, virtue signaling, toxicity oh Era/the left, and so on. Presumably, what you want is a chill thread to discuss these beloved YouTubers. What you're doing instead, though, is taking a handful of posts (and a few particularly vehement ones) that could have been easily ignored or calmly responded to and turning them into this super heated, drawn out discussion that inevitably stops being about the YouTubers at all.

Listen, some framing:

1) No one is cancelling Girlfriend Reviews.
2) For good reason, a lot of people are skeptical of YouTube as a platform, and especially with how YouTubers tend to use it. A jovial PewDiePie reference here, a flash of friendliness with Boogie there, a joke at feminists' expense here, a bad moment to showcase NakeyJakey there ... it all adds up to a comfort level with YouTube's worst that makes the apolitical, positive veneer look a touch compromised, especially in the eyes of those who just wish everybody cared more about YouTube being a better place.

It's really that simple. Girlfriend Reviews does good stuff, seems like a cute couple, blah blah blah. Personally, though, my bandwidth for YouTube for isn't that high these days, and seeing some of it make an appearance in their videos without any mitigating action outside of easily commercialized cutesy well edited games analysis does hurt my perception of the channel.

Yeah and that's fine, you're not obligated to watch their content and I 100% respect your opinion

Ultimately this is a discussion forum, and if you can't discuss anything other than one thing, all the time, then people will drift away or start to engage less

I don't like Marvel films or Star Wars, so I don't go into threads on those topics to endlessly say I don't like Marvel and Star Wars. It wouldn't be productive and it would derail the threads for people who want to discuss those topics

I get your point though, and I think you've just made me realise the kind of people who see a minor offence and can't shut up about that and ramp it up to %110 and are unable to drop it for months and months and months are probably not worth discussing anything with

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Did they actually denounce Boogie and PDP in their stream? Because that would be swell. I haven't stopped watching their content because I found the shoutouts to be relatively minor, but I have to admit I was bothered by the featuring of both them and the likes of Nakey Jakey.

A more measured response would definitely be my preference. These two seem really nice, did anyone try just politely bringing these things to their attention and seeing if they had anything to say about it? They've seemed fairly accessible through their chat and their content is pretty wholesome. Beyond the "shoutouts", they haven't really done anything problematic and I appreciate their whole shtick being very inclusive of a female perspective on the medium (although I realize the boyfriend writes much of the content). It's cool to bring these things to people's attention or even to be concerned about them, but the eagerness and bloodlust is a real bad look. They haven't done anything really bad.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
They seem like really cool people to hang out with, guess that's one of the reasons their videos work. I do hope that if the guys complaining right now ever get a chance at a somewhat popular project, fellow Era users will follow them around pointing out that they're actually TRASH because they like a game company that uses crunch or enjoy an artist's music who's had dodgy stuff in his past. Because obviously enjoying certain things involved with bad things makes you terrible people regardless.

This is both overdramatic and disingenuous af.

Overdramatic In the sense that you're presenting something as mundane as people being more open to criticism after getting a platform as some horrifying phenomenon, disingenuous in the sense that you're conflating "enjoying troubled things" with "being a little too comfortable using your massive platform to engage with some actively malevolent forces."

Can we have a resetera's guide to good/bad YouTube persons? Because I for sure don't know what is okay to watch and what not anymore, lol.

If "ResetEra" means "majority opinion" and we're going by this thread, apparently Girlfriend Reviews is the best thing ever and criticizing them with any degree of vehemence at all is beyond the pale.

Like, that one person probably went a little far calling them shitheels or whatever, but damn did the wagons circle.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is both overdramatic and disingenuous af.

Overdramatic In the sense that you're presenting something as mundane as people being more open to criticism after getting a platform as some horrifying phenomenon, disingenuous in the sense that you're conflating "enjoying troubled things" with "being a little too comfortable using your massive platform to engage with some actively malevolent forces."

Pewdiepie has been mentioned a hundred times in these threads. They mentioned him in a dumb joke ONCE, between all their videos. It wasn't a praise, it wasn't a shoutout, it wasn't a declaration of love, nor a support or pledge. His name was used in a joke once. This happened 7 months ago or so. People still bring this up. In reality my example is not even as bad as this because it implied people shall be thrown mud at for liking things. In their case they haven't even claimed to like his content or his persona, they literally namedropped him once for a joke. You know, on a fucking channel that lives by making meme-ish reviews of videogames in the first place. An even better example would be people getting insulted for 7 months and beyond because they've made a joke about CD Projekt. They crunch so they're bad, and since you mentioned them you're also bad. This is the level of insanity these threads reached.

But I'll end this here because I don't want to give thread derailers even more ground to continue doing so. If you wish to talk about this in more detail, feel free to drop me a PM.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I'm sure if you dig hard enough everyone has said something terrible at some point.
There's a difference between having once said something shitty and grown from it, and an uncritical "shout out" to a dude who believes there's a middle ground to white nationalism, or thinks "some good came of the holocaust." Like, it's real easy to not do.

Hell, fucking Mark Hamill retweeted JK Rowling, and when people said the context of what she said was in support of transphobia, he immediately went "Wait what? Wow, nevermind fuck that."

Status
Not open for further replies.