• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
These threads are a shitshow because some people can't take someone criticizing them. Whether it's fair or not, that'll be subjective, there has been ample opportunity to let someone express their opinion and move on. No one is asking everyone to agree or to stop watching their videos. People aren't even allowing people to express "oh hey it's super shitty that they shouted out that noted white supremacy sympathizing asshole pewdiepie". Whether or not you agree, there is a place for that opinion.

This is like if I was at a club and Billie Jean came on and I said: "oh man I really like MJ's music but I just can't listen/dance to it anymore, I'm gonna grab a drink, I'll see you all in a bit" would you pop up and say "oh you virtue signalers are so lame"?
This isn't "criticism". This is guilt by association, where said association happens to be one of the most popular people in their particular industry, who few associate with white supremacy or what have you.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say this, at least. This thread is doing wonders for my ignore list if nothing else.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
If you all hate them so much, why do you still enter enter their threads? Just to drop by and repeat what you mentioned in the other threads?

Crystal Spire

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck has this thread turned into? This shit seriously needs to stop.
now that this is out of the way, they're such a cute couple and their channel is really entertaining. Wish them nothing but success.

OP
OP
LBsquared

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Perhaps you should engage with people instead of just generalizing their posts. If it's bullshit and you feel so strongly about it, you could make some counterpoints? Because I'm not really seeing the need to engage you otherwise. Here's an example of a post summarizing some of these things:
Show me a Pewdiepie shoutout. Spoiler Alert - you can't.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
watching the video, replying here, then watching the contrapoints' canceling video and then coming back to read comments does show how canceling work lol

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Alright - here is a list of things that they have done that I would consider dog-whistling for alt-right views.

- PDP shout-out
- Anita Sarkeesian joke
- Close relationship with Boogie in the past, including streaming a session with him
- Comment encouraging people to check out NakeyJakey content, fairly soon after NakeyJakey controversy where he decided it was a great idea to hug known-racist JonTron.
- Following known racist JonTron on Twitter
- Other incidents I've only heard, can't validate

Given all this - and all the other solid YouTubers they could be advertising, how else would you interpret this?

If they regularly advertised for other YouTubers who DIDN'T have a history of racism, then I'd give them a little more benefit of the doubt.

But, they don't.

The content they create is still quality, but I'd rather not support these odd winks toward racist web personalities.
This is pretty stupid and emblematic of how much of a bubble the more extreme social justice communities exist in. The people you mention are some of the largest personalities in gaming YouTube/content creation, and it's not at all settled that they are white supremacists among the wider audience of people who consume that type of media.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Boogie is just fucking dumb as hell.
This is a tangent, but he isn't though.

I honestly dislike this GIF because it misrepresents Boogie as being someone who is innocently trying to make a bunch of disagreeing groups get along while ignoring the incompatibility of their stances. That's the smokescreen that he uses to keep from alienating his audience.

The thing is that he isn't innocent at all, and he isn't really in the middle at all, he's actively taking abhorrent positions and just using this to support those positions without acknowledging what he's doing. But he does occasionally laugh at his ex-girlfriends dying of cancer and stuff like that

or openly stating his support for known harassers, which is harder to demonstrate if you don't know the history of the relevant people.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This isn't "criticism". This is guilt by association, where said association happens to be one of the most popular people in their particular industry, who few associate with white supremacy or what have you.

I'm not sure why criticism is in quotation marks here. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that you don't agree that Pewdiepie is a white supremacy sympathizer?

They supported someone who hugged JonTron, so they're canceled by proxy? Are you serious with this shit?

Isn't the issue there more the timing than anything else? Also, again, no one is canceling anyone, simply calling out behavior they disagree with is not canceling.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure why criticism is in quotation marks here. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you saying that you don't agree that Pewdiepie is a white supremacy sympathizer?

Isn't the issue there more the timing than anything else? Also, again, no one is canceling anyone, simply calling out behavior they disagree with is not canceling.
I think Pewdiepie absolutely holds some white supremacist views, but I also think that "criticizing" an up and coming third party channel for doing nothing but dropping his name when few people not directly plugged into the specific intersection of games media and social justice recognize Pewdiepie as being problematic is dumb as hell.

They supported someone who hugged JonTron, so they're canceled by proxy? Are you serious with this shit?

Why shouldn't I be?
It pretty openly advertised his support for JonTron, who has some repugnant views.

This caused quite a bit of controversy, fairly well known at the time, that I imagine would've damaged NakeyJakeys reputation.

To have given him a shoutout within a short period of time after that incident seems to have shown what side they supported in this argument.

So. This whole dog-whistling business is hard to discern at times. I get that. It pisses people off, especially without 100% evidence of said accusations. Burden of proof and all that.

But, I also somehow manage to subscribe to gaming YouTubers that manage to easily avoid ALL this.
So, that all these incidents could be purely coincidental seems..fairly unlikely.

This is pretty stupid and emblematic of how much of a bubble the more extreme social justice communities exist in. The people you mention are some of the largest personalities in gaming YouTube/content creation, and it's not at all settled that they are white supremacists among the wider audience of people who consume that type of media.

Just replied more in full to this - but please respond to my latter points in my post.

It's not these seemingly trivial things alone. It's the fact that they only seem to be mentioning these people in particular, instead of many, MANY other, less controversial YouTubers that makes me skeptical.

Oct 26, 2017
Even if guilt by association does not make you a white supremist. It is pretty bad behaviour to not care about what the people they recommend represent. In todays landscape it is silly to feign or pretend ignorance on certain issues. Fine you do not care because you are in a privileged position and it does not affect you. Which makes sense why they keep recommending these "awesome" gamerz with horrible morals and ethics.

I will say that GF reviews haven't said things that are remotely bad in their reviews other than promoting bad people. They do of course play a lot with some negative stereotypes of women as gamers, which can be questionable at times.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
they're just a couple of typical redditors that repeat established popular opinion on popular things in a very well-produced format with little regard for the associations they have with other popular figures, negative or positive. they just like popular shit and will do what they think they need to do to be popular, including embracing and broadcasting reactionary sentiments and negativity campaigns aimed at attacking developers or creatives, like pokemon or star wars. it's entertaining but also entirely valueless at its core

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Why shouldn't I be?
It pretty openly advertised his support for JonTron, who has some repugnant views.

This caused quite a bit of controversy, fairly well known at the time, that I imagine would've damaged NakeyJakeys reputation.

To have given him a shoutout within a short period of time after that incident seems to have shown what side they supported in this argument.

So. This whole dog-whistling business is hard to discern at times. I get that. It pisses people off, especially without 100% evidence of said accusations. Burden of proof and all that.

But, I also somehow manage to subscribe to gaming YouTubers that manage to easily avoid ALL this.
So, that all these incidents could be purely coincidental seems..fairly unlikely.
By "quite a bit", I assume you mean "not really much at all", as the most I can find on it is a Resetera thread and a reddit one.

OP
OP
LBsquared

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Just replied more in full to this - but please respond to my latter points in my post.

It's not these seemingly trivial things alone. It's the fact that they only seem to be mentioning these people in particular, instead of many, MANY other, less controversial YouTubers that makes me skeptical.
Except they mention lesser known people. They even streamed with them.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think Pewdiepie absolutely holds some white supremacist views, but I also think that "criticizing" an up and coming third party channel for doing nothing but dropping his name when few people not directly plugged into the specific intersection of games media and social justice recognize Pewdiepie as being problematic is dumb as hell.

Well there are quite a few other things they've done that I don't condone. It isn't just this Pewdiepie business. I'm not a person who believes that ignorance is an excuse, because good people, when receiving new information, will contextualize.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it. Watching their channel and videos are almost therapeutic after reading through Era and the amount of toxicity this place shits out.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But they mentioned someone that hugged someone that said something offensive a few years ago. Don't you see how awful they are?

I can't even with this stuff. Some of these people are just out of their damn minds.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Where else should have been posted to be considered quite a bit?

I would say those two forums are...pretty influential?
Not really? Reddit might be as a whole, but any given subreddits much less so (like where said thread was), and using Resetera smacks of citogenesis. "Quite a bit" is an article on a notable enthusiast news site, like, bare minimum, or a twitter trend, or whatever. Not two forum threads.

OP
OP
LBsquared

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Haha I feel the same way, they are so adorable and positive.
Unfortunately they're everything this thread and many other seemingly positive threads here are not.
Mods, feel free to close this dumpster fire of a thread. Another victory for the super woke.

Not really? Reddit might be as a whole, but any given subreddits much less so (like where said thread was), and using Resetera smacks of citogenesis. "Quite a bit" is articles on news sites, like, bare minimum. Not forum threads.

I'm not sure any of these YouTubers are big enough to make any news sites write an article on them.
Which is one reason why I assume more news articles weren't written on it.

The other being, it's a lot more difficult to write an article based on a picture of said somewhat well know YouTuber than an article based on words - which is exactly what many news sites did when JonTron decided to say what he did.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure any of these YouTubers are big enough to make any news sites write an article on them.
Which is one reason why I assume more news articles weren't written on it.

The other being, it's a lot more difficult to write an article based on a picture of said somewhat well know YouTuber than an article based on words - which is exactly what many news sites did when JonTron decided to say what he did.
Jontron is big enough. PDP is big enough. Heck, even Girlfriend Reviews got a USGamer article. NakeyJakey hugging Jontron absolutely did not get "quite a bit" of attention from anyone.

Unfortunately they're everything this thread and many other seemingly positive threads here are not.
Mods, feel free to close this dumpster fire of a thread. Another victory for the super woke.

I guess I'm not sure what the appropriate reaction is to the multiple small, yet oddly specific incidents that have been pointed out.

If all these were purely coincidental, then sure, I am willing to believe they are just following popular media trends.
As someone just pointed out to me, they don't advertise all people with a controversial past - which is what I would think you'd want to do, as a YouTuber.

But, these specific incidences still occurred, and many people are clearly upset by it, and would like better evidence that these are isolated, unintentional incidents.

From my current perspective, mentioning the people pointed out before are too specific to be coincidence.
For others, it's not enough evidence.

That's all.

Edit: The best solution at this point, is just create an OT for this YouTube channel. That way, folks can discuss their videos in a more contained environment.

Last edited:

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It is settled that PewDiePie and JonTron have had racist views and that Boogie2988 has been a racist sympathiser, believes Anita Sarkeesian was somehow responsible for Charlottesville ("I'm bringing people from the far right to the logical sane middle...battling in the courts, battling in the polls, not in the fucking streets, the way you're doing it, people are getting fucking killed in Charlottesville!"), and said same sex marriage should wait until homophobes are less violent.

These aren't opinions. These are the simple facts.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would they want to spend any time here, a place where a mod refers to them as "complete shitheels"?

Unless I missed something that wasn't a mod that said that, just an industry "professional ".

It's hard to come up with something new and fresh, and while the idea is simple they executed it really well. I haven't watched all their vids but the ones I did were entertaining.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
... OK, that's too much toxicity for me.

I like their videos, and frankly this whole discussion is completely overblown.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the people who they associate with so I don't support them, but calling them "shitheels" based on what we know is fucking stupid.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also guilt by para-social association since people are made to feel like shit if they enjoy watching their content.

Personally, I think cancel culture and being the arbiter of moral consumption is how a lot of people get their jollies and I that's no different on Era.

Alright - here is a list of things that they have done that I would consider dog-whistling for alt-right views.

- PDP shout-out
- Anita Sarkeesian joke
- Close relationship with Boogie in the past, including streaming a session with him
- Comment encouraging people to check out NakeyJakey content, fairly soon after NakeyJakey controversy where he decided it was a great idea to hug known-racist JonTron.
- Following known racist JonTron on Twitter

Given all this - and all the other solid YouTubers they could be advertising, how else would you interpret this?

If they regularly advertised for other YouTubers who DIDN'T have a history of racism, then I'd give them a little more benefit of the doubt.

But, they don't.

The content they create is still quality, but I'd rather not support these odd winks toward racist web personalities.
This is truly nothing.

Too many degrees of removal from actually doing anything objectionable. This is the kind of shit Fox News tries to pull on Dems all the time. Also like Fox News's BS, it's sorely lacking context.

a word of advice: never look up the working relationships of the people behind your favorite movies, tv shows, etc
Come on, dude.

Last edited:

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Lol Era, great job.

I'm out if this shit show of a thread.

In the end, social justice people can be just as toxic as Trump school boys.

I just don't have patience anymore, too old for this.

Gf review is a great channel, the best luck in the world for them.

Last edited:
Discussion Guidelines

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Folks,

If you have concerns regarding this YouTube channel you are welcome to raise them, but let's do so calmly and constructively. Likewise, if you take issue with people doing so, you can do so in a constructive way and express disagreement without resorting to metacommentary (e.g. making blanket statements about cancel culture, making generalizations about other users and the forum). Let's bring this conversation down a few notches, as this is all a bit much.

Thank you.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
What the fuck has this thread turned into? This shit seriously needs to stop.
now that this is out of the way, they're such a cute couple and their channel is really entertaining. Wish them nothing but success.

I think this thread was the straw that broke the camels back. They've been getting shit on here from the very first video "is that really a girl though?" and every thread since has had at least some bullshit. I'm sure future threads will still bring it all up again though.

As someone else said, at least it's good for the ignore list.

It's also guilt by para-social association since people are made to feel like shit if they enjoy watching their content.

Personally, I think cancel culture and being the arbiter of moral consumption is how a lot of people get their jollies and I that's no different on Era.

This is truly nothing.

Too many degrees of removal from actually doing anything objectionable.

a word of advice: never look up the working relationships of the people behind your favorite movies, tv shows, etc

And I do get that.

Again, for me, there is enough connection between these incidences for me to become skeptical of their overall views. Does that mean they are what I think they are? Nope.

As for me, I just would rather not support them.

Again, my main argument is that these are oddly specific individual YouTubers to be mentioning when there are SO many other YouTubers without baggage they could've mentioned instead.

To me, it just seems like they could've made a better effort to avoid mentioning the ones many of us are upset about.

But, yeah...it's just a sign of the political times. Everything is much more sensitive and loaded, and it will be for the foreseeable future.

I think this thread was the straw that broke the camels back. They've been getting shit on here from the very first video "is that really a girl though?" and every thread since has had at least some bullshit. I'm sure future threads will still bring it all up again though.

As someone else said, at least it's good for the ignore list.

Could we just have someone create an OT? I think every time a fresh thread gets created, it just revitalizes this argument.

Or maybe it wouldn't help...I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.