• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
A think the chase for authenticity can be a bit misguided since it's usually just immigrants bringing over their traditions (from maybe a particular region), adapting it to their new culture, and having things change with time in a new environment. So it's more "different" than not real. (Though obviously, what can you expect out of a kit you buy from a supermarket? Never the same as homemade. And "taco sauce" just seems like a silly way to make salsa seem less threatening to non-Latino people.)

It seems the original patents for hard-shell tacos belonged to Mexican restaurant owners (who'd make them fresh of course) before it was popularized in its prefabricated version (so there's some cultural appropriation there).

Honestly, I used to feel the same way as you in the past about "inauthentic" food, but the history behind many foods is very complex and interesting. As long as someone finds it enjoyable to eat.
The thing is authenticity in this case doesn't need to be chased. It boils down to do you want tacos or do you want approximations? Corn tortillas and good salsa (most grocery stores carry freshly made salsa/guac in the refrigerated section of the produce dept) are readily available in America, well at least in Texas. Many American dishes are way more complicated and time consuming to prepare than tacos so the convenience excuse doesn't fly.

Last edited:

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to embrace being single.
tenor.gif

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not reading all 10 pages of this god damned thread, but if it hasn't been said already: this is your fault if you didn't already have hot sauce in your fridge. I have like 4 different bottles at any one time in mine, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm not reading all 10 pages of this god damned thread, but if it hasn't been said already: this is your fault if you didn't already have hot sauce in your fridge. I have like 4 different bottles at any one time in mine, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Yep. Always have hot sauce or salsa in the fridge

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Hard tacos are good

Soft tacos are good

Corn tortillas are good

Flour tortillas are good

Authentic tacos are good

Tacos from a kit are good

Some of y'all are to snobby over tacos.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
People out here acting like the OP is serious or that he didn't show his partner the thread immediately/jokingly talked about the taco kit like a couple could.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hard tacos are good

Soft tacos are good

Corn tortillas are good

Flour tortillas are good

Authentic tacos are good

Tacos from a kit are good

Some of y'all are to snobby over tacos.
Seriously. This.

I like soft tacos with eggs and chorizo, or these pork tacos I found a recipe for. But I also like hard shell tacos. People acting like they fall apart after one bite, maybe if you vice grip them with your ham hands.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
hardshell tacos are good if you are doing potatoe filling and frying the tacos yourself.

I'd be better off just going to taco bell if I were just buying those shells in the store. They taste like sawdust.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Those kits suck honestly but would still eat. Use a nice hotsauce as the topper. Good to go.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think you should immediately go to a forum and make a post shaming her about it.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
When my mom cooked tacos she'd use the seasoning in the box and put a little bit of the sauce in the meat while she cooked and the rest would get tossed. My family including myself are wimps when it comes to spice so the girlfriend did nothing wrong to me.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
sounds like your girlfriend knows how to cook and you don't know the taste of your mouth. Praise her for showing you the error of your ways.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those are the only types of tacos I'll eat. I hate soft shells, I dislike their taste.
Then you've clearly never had a real Mexican corn or flour tortilla. When I've been in the Us the tortillas I've found in regular supermarkets are always mediocre to bad.

Also no one calls them soft shells. It's just a warm tortilla. Alternatively just call that a "taco" so everyone can assume that that is a soft taco by default as God intended.