• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Taco sauce" just seems like a more Tex-Mex-inspired salsa. (At the end of the day, it still seems like a sauce/salsa.)

It's a sauce, not a salsa. There's no confusing the two. I'm not dipping my fucking tortilla chip in a sauce, it's being used to scoop up a salsa.

Good lord what has Taco Bell and Ortega done to people.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not. A taco shell is not a tortilla and taco sauce is not salsa.
I thought they were deep-fried corn tortillas.
It's a sauce, not a salsa. There's no confusing the two. I'm not dipping my fucking tortilla chip in a sauce, it' being used to scoop up a salsa.

Good lord what has Taco Bell and Ortega done to people.
Salsa literally means "sauce". They can be thin and runny (like a more traditional salsa), or chunkier like a pico de gallo. They can be made with different kinds of chillies and ingredients. What's the controversy?

If anything, a chunkier salsa seems to be more of an American thing.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Fine but if you are to take anything from this thread let it be that tacos made from taco shells out of a taco kit are wrong and you should feel bad. Buy soft corn (or flour) tortillas, warm them on a skillet and add your meat and veggies and some salsa and presto, you have a taco that's worth its name.
Behave. Why should I feel bad.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
You were replying to a user that was talking about kits in general, not specifically what the OP used.

i was replying to this guy who is talking about shells and sauce

All a "taco kit" is, is a convenience thing of having shells, sauce and mix bundled in one package instead of picking it up individually, sometimes in different places of a store. I'm not sure why it's some point of debate or discussion.

Anyway long story long my issue is with hard shells and taco sauce. The pic you posted with the tortillas and the jar of tomato sauce is a little better but are those tortillas made of wheat AND corn or are there some corn tortillas and some wheat tortillas?

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Anyway long story long my issue is with hard shells and taco sauce. The pic you posted with the tortillas and the jar of tomato sauce is a little better but are those tortillas made of wheat AND corn or are there some corn tortillas and some wheat tortillas?
There are corn tortillas and wheat tortillas.

edit: I think the corn ones do contain wheat flour too though, which is why it says "corn and wheat".

Last edited:

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
I have the exact opposite reaction. You barbarians besmircking hard shell tacos. What the hell do you use? Soft shell? Hahaha! You mean burritos? Oh you sweet summer children, have you no respect for the old ways?

I'm sure you mean well but you didn't think this thru. We use soft corn tortillas that we warm on a comal or skillet. Taco shells are not "respect for the old ways"

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
What the hell is taco sauce.... This is a good opportunity for you both to go online and make tacos for real

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
All the people asking what sauce is

L9qfiu8.png

it's just pureed salsa basically.
OP's GF is using a great trick I employ when cooking taco meat (well, fake meat in my vegetarian lifestyle, but still):

Cook the meat with salsa/taco sauce. It embues a great flavor into the meat.

As others have said, though, not having salsa/sauce in the fridge is entirely on OP. I make sure to carry a healthy selection of condiments in my fridge. Not only for an occasion like this, but they can also be fantastic components to other recipes.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Sounds like it would be delicious if you ask me.

No, it's not. A taco shell is not a tortilla and taco sauce is not salsa. They're cheap American approximations. I'm Mexican so have a seat.
They're fried tortilla shells. Source: I make tortilla chips at work. They're circular tortilla shells cut into quarters and fried in oil for a minute. A hard taco shell is the same thing just not cut up and bent into a U shape.

Oct 27, 2017
You played video games. While she cooked. And you've been dating six years. Sounds like the tacos weren't her only screwup.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
If I make America-style ground beef & shell tacos I always cook that shit with diced tomatoes, peppers, lime, and plenty of worcestershire sauce. The seasoning and sauces they give you with those kits are fucking nasty.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You have sauce in the taco meat AND separately in the same taco. Since its hard shell, it is however better that she put it in the meat only because that shit would be sloppy otherwise. If it was soft shell, sure sauce first because the tortilla would absorb the juices. Oh, and one last thing. If you can't communicate how you like your tacos and bitch about it online, you sure as fuck shouldn't be allowed to be in a relationship. Its just food, jesus fucking christ.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
The op clearly stated taco shells and taco sauce. What does your pic have to do with the op. How about you don't tell Mexicans about tacos and we won't tell you about mayonnaise sandwiches

Last edited:

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The op clearly stated taco shells and taco sauce. What does your pic have to do with the op. How about you don't tell Mexicans about tacos and we won't tell you about mayonnaise sandwiches
Why such utter disdain for Mexican American and Tex-Mex food culture? (Tacos are already very diverse, and soft-shell tacos don't cease to exist because of hard-shell ones.) And do you feel the same way about American Chinese cuisine? Genuine question.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Because of this thread I'm buying a taco kit that comes with only hard shell tacos. I have my own sauce though. The stuff in the kit is mediocre.

Objektivity

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Why such utter disdain for Mexican American and Tex-Mex food culture? (Tacos are already very diverse, and soft-shell tacos don't cease to exist because of hard-shell ones.) And do you feel the same way about American Chinese cuisine? Genuine question.
Because taco shells are a blight upon humanity, but in all seriousness I like Chinese food I don't know how authentic the Chinese I've had was (the cooks were Asian) but it's probably more authentic to real Chinese food than taco shells and taco sauce is to Mexican food but if a Chinese told me that's not real Chinese food I'd ask where I could find real Chinese food. Taco shells and taco sauce is not Mexican American food/culture. Lol it's straight up white.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much of OPs post is actually real?

6 years of dating

Playing vidya games while the lady does the cooking

A fucking taco kit whatever the hell that is

Taco sauce whatever the hell that is

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Because taco shells are a blight upon humanity, but in all seriousness I like Chinese food I don't know how authentic the Chinese I've had was (the cooks were Asian) but it's probably more authentic to real Chinese food than taco shells and taco sauce is to Mexican food but if a Chinese told me that's not real Chinese food I'd ask where I could find real Chinese food. Taco shells and taco sauce is not Mexican American food/culture. Lol it's straight up white.
A think the chase for authenticity can be a bit misguided since it's usually just immigrants bringing over their traditions (from maybe a particular region), adapting it to their new culture, and having things change with time in a new environment. So it's more "different" than not real. (Though obviously, what can you expect out of a kit you buy from a supermarket? Never the same as homemade. And "taco sauce" just seems like a silly way to make salsa seem less threatening to non-Latino people.)

It seems the original patents for hard-shell tacos belonged to Mexican restaurant owners (who'd make them fresh of course) before it was popularized in its prefabricated version (so there's some cultural appropriation there).

Honestly, I used to feel the same way as you in the past about "inauthentic" food, but the history behind many foods is very complex and interesting. As long as someone finds it enjoyable to eat.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I got a good laugh at the OP. This reminds me of people who make spaghetti by boiling the pasta then, once cooked, putting it into a pot with the unheated sauce and warming/cooking the two together. I've seen it several times in my life and I'm always like "WTF?"

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
My mom makes this banging Mexican lasagna and uses taco sauce for a topping. It's so good.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I got a good laugh at the OP. This reminds me of people who make spaghetti by boiling the pasta then, once cooked, putting it into a pot with the unheated sauce and warming/cooking the two together. I've seen it several times in my life and I'm always like "WTF?"
How else are the butter and ketchup going to incorporate into each other?

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
eating a taco from a taco kit is already so wrong...What ur gf did doesn't make it worse.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, you have to be open to new experiences or you're never going to get anywhere in life.

Also, shame on all of you dragging the good name of taco kits through the mud.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Sorry OP you're wrong. Most taco kits come with powdered spice to cook the meat in.

Besides you should have hot sauce on hand.