• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
A fair-going toddler at Art Basel in Basel seems to have broken a cardinal rule—don't touch the art. According to a report by Swiss news agency NAU cited by The Art Newspaper, a three-year-old girl was perusing the Matthew Marks Gallery booth when she accidentally knocked Katharina Fritsch's work Fliege (Fly) (2000), a plastic sculpture of a fly, from its plinth.
The work, reportedly on sale for SF56,000 ($56,000), fell from its pedestal and the impact broke off the fly's wings. An Art Basel spokesperson told The Art Newspaper the fair organizers were "aware of the incident," but had been "informed by the gallery that the work was not damaged."

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
good on her that shit don't look like it's worth 50,000 anything

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Oops. This is why I'm not bringing my kid to an art gallery unless it's the state fair or something.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
good on her that shit don't look like it's worth 50,000 anything
THAT was 50 grand???!?
first two posts nailed it, she did the gallery a favor

tenor.gif

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see we have some art collectors and historians in the thread :lol

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
HAHAHAHA FUCK ART, MY BABY SISTER CAN DO THAT BETTER, ETC. ETC. and fuck Elon Musk and Apple too HAHAHAHA.

Anyway, are we sure the parent didn't bump into the pillar? Not sure why people take their three year old to a museum. They don't remember shit from that age and they certainly don't care about art.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it was on sale for that much. but no one in their right mind would pay that asking price. thinking about how overpriced this schlock can be gets me irrationally angry. it shouldn't, but it do.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This made me laugh

I have a lot of friends in the art and music fields who are 100% this
Thing is, people CAN do that but 9 times out of 10 realize "no one would be stupid enough to actually attach value to that".

But then the art world is nothing but backdoor politics anyway so yeah...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Even the most well-mannered three-year-old doesn't belong in an art museum. And I say that as the dad of a five-year-old and a two-year-old who has actually been to that gallery on a press trip.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The real art is the innocence of the child protesting against the modern status quo where everything can be put in a Museum regardless of its actual quality.
The child is now worth $100,000 and will be replacing the fly sculpture on the pedestal.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a gallery in Edinburgh a couple of years back.

This amuses me.

33-F36-D12-BFB3-4-DE7-BA2-B-29-FC14-E042-C6.jpg

There was also a house brick with 2 toy eyeballs rested on it for the same price.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Listen regardless of whether or not you think its worth 50K, the real question is why the fuck you'd have it on a high pedestal without any boundaries?

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listen regardless of whether or not you think its worth 50K, the real question is why the fuck you'd have it on a high pedestal without any boundaries?

Because you are hoping that some nitwit will knock it over and you can hand them a bill for a million zillion dollars because that's what your art is worth.