• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Konoha

It's so hurtful, I had to stop reading. She knows the body she's in and wherever she is in her journey she has the right to be seen & live happy moments. Somehow every asshole on twitter is her nutritionist.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
And so the cycle of projection in "outrage culture" begins anew.

Edit: Not to say there can't be legit grievances over this particular ad (unlike the last one, LOL), but given the political leanings of most of the Twitter comments I'm not surprised they're largely not in decent faith.

Last edited:

Diunx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...I'm not really into turning obesity into an aceptable thing, sorry Gillete.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...I'm not really into turning obesity into an aceptable thing, sorry Gillete.
Acceptable is kind of a strange word. Yeah, we have an obesity problem that needs to be handled. But obese people should be able to have dignity too.

Obesity is a heath issue, but it's often looked at asa beauty issue. Seems like this add is just attacking the latter of those two.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
User Banned (2 Days): Body Shaming
That's over doing it lol.

I thought it was gonna a be about an average slightly overweight woman but nope, Gillette goes full TLC

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
The people attacking the model are fucking disgusting. As a former morbidly obese (and still currently overweight) person the faux care random people had for me telling me I was going to die in 30 years from a 1000 different conditions and diseases was incredibly tiring and always annoying.

Saying all that though - I'm of the personal belief we shouldn't be normalising obesity (and eating disorders in general) in any way shape or form. It's already one of the most (if not the most) dangerous crisis to human health around the world and at this rate is only going to get worse.

Edit - I thought I would add on some more. I'm talking specifically about extremes here, 30+ BMI/18- BMI where the pretty much certain long term health effects will start ramping up. Speaking from personal experience, advertisements like these DO normalise it. I hid behind the thought of "Eh, why bother losing weight. I'm not unusual, hell I'm in a sizable portion of the population - they seem to be doing fine so I'm sure I will be as well." for almost a decade before the health effects and my increasing depression and anxiety started really poking there heads up and snapping me back to reality of that no, what I was doing was unhealthy and was damaging me not just physically but mentally.

Is there anything wrong with the model? No. Should she feel bad or unworthy for being who she is? No. Should she be being attacked and concern trolled? FUCK NO. But these advertisements are not going to help society deal with the increasing obesity crisis by making being obese normal.

Edit 2: Just to note - Promoting something and Normalising something are very different and should not be used interchangeably. You can't really "promote" obesity like you can with underweight/anorexia because being overweight is the opposite of the societal beauty and health standards whereas being underweight fits into it, hence you can promote it due to it conforming closely to the normalised supermodel/size 0 standard we've used for beauty over the past 35 years or so. You can see the harm normalising can cause BY how normalised that supermodel unhealthily slim look was/is and how it shaped a lot (I would guess the majority) of young women and their beauty standard over the time period.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I honestly hate when people joke about Diabetes or use it as an insult. It is extremely unfair to people that have type 1 Diabetes which they had no control over.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Acceptable is kind of a strange word. Yeah, we have an obesity problem that needs to be handled. But obese people should be able to have dignity too.

Obesity is a heath issue, but it's often looked at asa beauty issue. Seems like this add is just attacking the latter of those two.
I'd hate to sound like I'm on the side of internet fat-shaming trolls, but I hate ads and "campaigns" like these. If the woman in the ad was an extreme anorexic case, people's heads would be exploding.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People who are struggling with weight should not be maligned, but having weight issues should not be glorified either. I don't think being proud of such things is good. Being proud of YOURSELF is what counts.

I would say the same of an anorexic being displayed as acceptable. Health is a very important thing. You can't take that out of the issue.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did I say this? I just think an ad normalizing an unhealthy body shape is stupid.

It's not the same as normalising and promoting emaciated women as desirable though. No girl will look at that ad and see it as a target goal in their life, which some might when bombarded by pictures of skinny models selling them shavers.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Being kind and respectful to other people and also acknowledging that obesity is a physical illness that needs to be worked on for the sake of people's health are not mutually exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017

And how would you do that? Am I going to do it by not being a shitheel to this beautiful courageous woman?

35% of US women are obese. Accept them as people, allow them to be seen and heard. It is not your place to shame them. They know it's not an ideal weight for health, or beauty.

Do you want them to be able to accept themselves? Or should them accepting themselves hinge on how hard they hustle to reach your goal BMI for them?

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
It's a razor blade ad at the beach with a cleanly shaven woman with the message "Go out there + slay the day!" It ain't that deep on either side of the fence.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Obese people exist. Not having this ad isn't going to magically prevent obese people from existing.

But hey I guess you just needed to do a fat-shaming shitpost...

People like the fatshamers in this thread are why I developed anorexia.

Last edited:

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well we shouldnt be treating anorexic people like lepers either.. but I dont think they should be lauded in advertising either.
Let's be pragmatists about this. One is definitely more supported than the other. One thing to note is that overweight people are painfully aware of it. And whatever you may think of the health consequences, there's countless people out there who could do with a pick me up. This will hardly become the norm anytime soon.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
People who are struggling with weight should not be maligned, but having weight issues should not be glorified either. I don't think being proud of such things is good. Being proud of YOURSELF is what counts.

I would say the same of an anorexic being displayed as acceptable.

This is pretty much how I feel - good on her for feeling confident enough to be in that ad, and it's horrible that people are shaming her or putting her down. With that being said, I'm not entirely comfortable with companies normalizing obesity for the sake of appearing woke and body positive when the bigger picture is that it's one of the greatest health epidemics of our time

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Prime example of this, imo. They're counting on people getting outraged, which means free word of mouth for them.

Speaking as an obese person, obesity is an epidemic, and shouldn't be included in the conversation of body acceptance, imo. That not to say that that person shouldn't be loved, of course.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I would say the same of an anorexic being displayed as acceptable. Health is a very important thing. You can't take that out of the issue.

I think this sums it up best.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We could eradicate obesity if only Gillette wasn't forcing overweight people down our throats!!!

How am I supposed to explain fat people to my kids?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Legit question, do you think the advertisement in OP glorifies the woman in it?

I think gillets intent(as they have been on a progressive PR campaign recently) is to glorify the woman as a person and show that she is a human being and has dignity despite not being our societies typical definition of beauty. I get that and its commendable message on an empowerment level.

However, it also has the potential send a different more damaging message inadvertently regarding the realities regarding health and the danger of glorifying unhealthy lifestyles. In America especially which has this issue regarding excess or obsession due to various issues such as depression or what not, it should be looked at more carefully to not be seen as glorifying that message as opposed to the original intent.

TLDR : Everyone who is insulting this woman due to her body type should fuck off. But having pride in being slightly overweight is different from being unhealthily obese and that should be distinguished as a health issue rather than an image issue.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
As a fat person I do find it funny that my existence angers so many people.

Edit: also for the "lose weight" comments that are inevitably coming I recently lost 30 pounds and counting

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So torn on this sort of promotion. On one hand yes, people should be allowed to be happy and enjoy life even if they're overweight. On the other hand, I can't really support ads or campaigns that promote extremely unhealthy lifestyles.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Obesity is a disease. We should treat obesity the same way we treat other diseases. We shouldn't shame or insult people who have diseases. But we also shouldn't celebrate disease as a "different body type".

Like the comparison to leprosy is actually apt. I wouldn't point fingers or shame somebody with leprosy. But I wouldn't go "rah rah, you're a leper, and that's okay! You just have a different body type!" That's ridiculous.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I think gillets intent(as they have been on a progressive PR campaign recently) is to glorify the woman as a person and show that she is a human being and has dignity despite not being our societies typical definition of beauty. I get that and its commendable message on an empowerment level.

However, it also has the potential send a different more damaging message inadvertently regarding the realities regarding health and the danger of glorifying unhealthy lifestyles. In America especially which has this issue regarding excess or obsession due to various issues such as depression or what not, it should be looked at more carefully to not be seen as glorifying that message as opposed to the original intent.

TLDR : Everyone who is insulting this woman due to her body type should fuck off. But having pride in being slightly overweight is different from being unhealthily obese and that should be distinguished as a health issue rather than an image issue.
I can agree with this, sorry for singling you out specifically and thanks for taking the time to answer.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Degrading and dehumanizing language
Yeeeaaahh... maybe let's not normalize eating oneself into a bundle of crippling health issues, a grotesque mockery of the human form and an early grave.

I say this as someone who has, since about age 9, fluctuated between borderline overweight and outright fat. (Although never that bad, thank fucking god.) It's not a good thing to be. It fucking sucks on multiple levels. Don't fucking glorify it.

Yes, media images frequently promote unhealthy and unrealistic expectations of beauty and slender/ripped body shapes. But this isn't the answer. This is the definition of over-correction.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (3 days): inflammatory comparison
So showing her in an an ad is normalizing it,
Yes. Have you ever seen an ad where someone is shooting heroine or popping pills that says go out there and slay the day? There is absolutely nothing positive about being morbidly obese like this.

jondgc

Oct 25, 2017
I have no issue with this ad. Everyone deserves to be comfortable in their own skin. Yes, obesity is a health issue, but obese people should be able to enjoy a day at the beach and enjoy themselves without feeling judged, just as any other beach-goer would want the same courtesy.