• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Unfortunately, I think the execution here is what has let the campaign down, and as a result had such a negative impact on social media. The reason being that the whole advertising campaign begins by making the viewer feel bad from the onset. Empathy is the biggest brand power play in advertising and inherently making a segment of their audience feel vindicated here is a bold move.
It's interesting how "making the viewer feel bad" is considered bad, in cases like this. In ad that essentially wants to raise awareness and is a call to action. I've seen plenty of very effective campaigns that definitely make me feel bad, but it's also exactly why those are so effective. Awareness campaigs for things like child abuse, alcoholism, extreme poverty etc. This ad is about bullying, sexual harassment and violence which are also all awful things. I would find it rather weird to have upbeat ads about these things.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The message is sound. I think the tone slightly paints men as a whole in a bad light, as if it needs to educate all men to be better. I think that's offending some folks because it's perceived as a generalization, but obviously their message is a good one.

From a marketing standpoint, they seem to be alienating their base, at least those online. However, the internet culture is not really indicative to reality. I always use Gillette Fusion because it does a good job on my face. Whatever ad they put out is completely irrelevant to what I'm going to purchase. Their shavers are the best, plain and simple.

My only gripe with them is that their Gillette Fusion shavers are really expensive. About 20 bucks for 4 razors :(

How can it paint all men in a bad light when it literally shows men (both fictional and real life examples) doing the right thing?

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Some people are actually reading the term "Toxic Masculinity" as "masculinity is toxic"... I can't.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The message is sound. I think the tone slightly paints men as a whole in a bad light, as if it needs to educate all men to be better. I think that's offending some folks because it's perceived as a generalization, but obviously their message is a good one.
It shows men doing the right thing, it's not women who are intervening in those situations. It's men, calling out/stopping other men. In reality there are men who do these things, there are men who accept these things, there are men who intervene, there are men who just stay silent even when they know they should step up.

And it's definitely telling all men to hold others accountable. That is true, but if someone is already doing that why would it paint them in a bad light. Could you be bit more specific why you think it paints all men as bad. What indicates that?

Last edited:

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Such a simple message really.

giphy.gif

"I was fans of bill and ted for years and then they told me to respect others, thanks for confirming their bias im switching over to being an encino man fan now. "

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Some other forums like SA are treating this as simply as "don't be shitty, and don't let your friends be shitty," which I think was the main intent of this message.

But I went back to the other place to see how they reacted to this, and holy fuck

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Some other forums like SA are treating this as simply as "don't be shitty, and don't let your friends be shitty," which I think was the main intent of this message.

But I went back to the other place to see how they reacted to this, and holy fuck

I can't believe how trash of a forum it is now

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I don't get what's offensive about "Hey don't be an asshole".

But it's become politicized and anything that's a term of the left gets attacked by people who want to "own the libs".

Svadhyaya

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The reason I don't go there is because I love going to Alexa and watching their numbers continually drop.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. Maybe not.
Perhaps not showing any of the derogatory scenes and just showing men of all backgrounds doing the right thing could have worked?
It's important to add that a large percentage of the people viewing this won't be able to dissect the actual message here, because their focus will be on the brief sections of the advert that portray men in a negative light.
It's a sad truth unfortunately, but selfishly their egos take priority over their buy-in to a brand's purpose.

Fuck that

You can't address problems by cutting out any references to the problems

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reactions to this vid have been wild. It's sad and entertaining at the same time. I have no clue how this ad would offend you unless you feel addressed.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck that

You can't address problems by cutting out any references to the problems
People are really just looking for ways to dodge the reality of toxic masculinity. The point of showing those derogatory scenes is supposed to show people what toxic masculinity looks like because too many men already try to avoid the responsibility of actually acknowledging that comparing other men to women as an "insult", etc. is actually toxic. We can't keep trying to avoid looking at it in the face. You're supposed to feel bad and introspective if you see those behaviors reflected in yourself or men you know and correct them. The commercial doesn't need to tip toe around this shit especially since the very men who get pissed off at it would probably display such behaviors and only get angry because they lack empathy or the will/desire to do better

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's pathetic that an ad like this can be seen as controversial. The ad is not saying "don't be a man." Heck, it's not even saying "don't approach women" and "don't ever fight."

It's just saying that there is a wrong way to do those things, so hold each other accountable.

It depicts Terry Crews as an example of a proper male role model. If Terry Crews isn't manly then none of us are. He played NFL football.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate humanity. The vile trash in the comments on that video. It's an inspiring video, how the hell does it attack men? It doesn't.

The comments in that video just prove that men are the problem (no sensitive snowflake, I am not referring to all men, obviously)

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People are really just looking for ways to dodge the reality of toxic masculinity. The point of showing those derogatory scenes is supposed to show people what toxic masculinity looks like because too many men already try to avoid the responsibility of actually acknowledging that comparing other men to women as an "insult", etc. is actually toxic. We can't keep trying to avoid looking at it in the face. You're supposed to feel bad and introspective if you see those behaviors reflected in yourself or men you know and correct them. The commercial doesn't need to tip toe around this shit especially since the very men who get pissed off at it would probably display such behaviors and only get angry because they lack empathy or the will/desire to do better
Exactly. As a man, I can admit to myself that this put me outside my comfort zone, and that's actually a good thing.

It's message is basically "check yourself."

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I fucking hate humanity. The vile trash in the comments on that video. It's an inspiring video, how the hell does it attack men? It doesn't.

The comments in that video just prove that men are the problem (no sensitive snowflake, I am not referring to all men, obviously)
Honestly, all men pretty much are the problem. And I'm saying that as a straight white male. Literally, nearly ALL of us are guilty of this kind of behavior.

It doesn't mean we are horrible people, but it's time for male behavior to evolve and for us to acknowledge it and hold ourselves accountable.

Everyone needs to start listening more to women. And realize, it's okay to make mistakes. Acknowledge them and improve yourself. Don't say "I'm not one of those guys" because you probably are. And it's not a big deal if you can be man enough to acknowledge it and be better in the future.

Men are generally good people. But they could be better. That's what the ad is saying. "Is this the best a man can get? No not yet."

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I see what he means. Of course Gillette just wants to sell. But at least they are sending a worthwhile message that clearly resonates and riles up. There is somewhat of a debate on an important issue, I think that's worth something.

Nike did an ad with Kaepernick and despite people setting their shoes on fire it increased sales. So I think it's the new thing. The people against this are a minority.

Oct 27, 2017
The same kind of people that say "grow thicker skin" when this kind of commentary or jokes are directed towards minorities, lose their shit when it's directed towards a group they are part of. Funny that.

"Black people do commit a lot of crime". Deal with it.
"White people keep fucking up this country" WHAT?!
"Men need to do better". THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?!
'Maybe spend more time outside than playing videogames'

WELL ARENT YOU THE REAL FASCIST?!

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see what he means. Of course Gillette just wants to sell. But at least they are sending a worthwhile message that clearly resonates and riles up. There is somewhat of a debate on an important issue, I think that's worth something.
A male peer of mine seems to not hate the message at all, but hates the fact that it's coming from a razor company specifically. He said he feels it's manipulative to send the message in the form of an advertisement.

I don't agree with him. Everyone has a business and everyone in society is selling something. Selling with a positive message is better than selling with no message at all.

Compare this with the Pepsi ad with kylie jenner (or whatever her name is). One of them is meaningful, the other is genuinely manipulative.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
this is the thing, when the political class fails to address certain issues, who can blame a private corporation for addressing it so publicly before any non-profit organization voices on it?

Gillette is filling the void of what is not being said

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's the little things that get me. The stupid, self-defeating obstinacy. It took surviving a heart attack for my father to start seeing a doctor regularly, and reluctantly at that, and now my brother's been sick for three weeks and just won't see anyone about it. Like they'd rather die than ask for help.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
The same kind of people that say "grow thicker skin" when this kind of commentary or jokes are directed towards minorities, lose their shit when it's directed towards a group they are part of. Funny that.

"Black people do commit a lot of crime". Deal with it.
"White people keep fucking up this country" WHAT?!
"Men need to do better". THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?!

Well said. Possibly the evident conservative hypocrisy today, and they accuse us of being over-sensitive getting offended over everything.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's getting dollar shave club due to Gillette's advertising aka tweet is basically saying "I'm a huge piece of shit/fragile snowflake"
and this is the halo/destiny composer...? What a snowflake god damn people calm the hell down, all these "masculine" men are so sensitive.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I like the ad but you'd have to be extremely naive to think it exists for any reason other than to get people talking about Gillette. They knew it'd create a firestorm from the right and MRAs which would just get more people talking about it and spread the message and help strengthen the appeal to center and center-left men (I can't believe topics like this are so heavily politicized but here we are). Advertising exists to create associations with a brand and sell products and this is no different. Doesn't mean the message is bad or shouldn't exist. It's like how lots of companies now advertise and push how privacy conscious they are after blow back against Facebook/Google.

I don't really know what my takeaway from the situation is. Just don't buy into some idea that Gillette is going to change the world with their advertising. Did Dove with their body positivity focus? I dunno, maybe.

EDIT: I think I'm most upset we can't have a 1000 post thread about toxic masculinity without a huge ad and twitter storm.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
market share, lol Gillette is the market king, they can afford to do this.

it`s like McDonald's or Coca-Cola, the super big king of the hill companies are too big to ''lose market share'' significantly from and ad