• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how people who's whole shtick is telling people they shouldn't get offended by stuff are the ones who get offended by the stupidest shit.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn that was dope

Blows my mind how people can be bothered at something that literally says "hey don't be shit to other people"

Like how in the hell did we get to a point where there were opposing sides on something like this

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I never said they dont support the concept of both movements; I specifically said not agreeing with how they went down and the controversies behind them.

I don't understand though. What exactly is controversial about #MeToo? I'm not actually sure how this particular movement went down that was controversial???

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for the new page, reminder that consumption isn't activism

good ad though

he23syuk4qudxlhmhhaw.jpg

Prego Marketing New Marinara As 'The Premiere Sauce For The #MeToo Moment'

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So did this. It's just smart marketing to ride the wave.

I saw that too. It's bullshit, it's the same argument someone else in this thread was making "ALL should respect EVERYONE", totally disregarding the specific issue being raised.

#AllProblemsMatter should not be defended.

It's a dog whistle.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I've long consider George Carlin's "The Male Disease" mandatory listening for young men but after seeing the reactions to this some people may never recover from the psychotic break....

Fine by me.

I mean, it appears that Gillette isn't a good product for sensitive skin after all.

Perfection.

You said it, man.

StormUltima

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
User Banned (permanent): inflammatory commentary
I can't stand the ad. I also disliked it on YouTube.

Before mocking me please at least hear me out... I grew up with sisters and a single mother who worked hard for everything we got. So I have great respect for women. I know this ad wasn't directed at me but it still annoys me anyways.

The reason is the way it seems to portray toxic masculinity as an almost exclusively white male problem. Don't get me wrong there's at least one adult black man in the video being toxic but it just feels like he was thrown in after someone brought the issue up.

Imagine this video if the skin color on all the white and black men was reversed. Imagine how a black man would feel watching such an ad with the scenes at 0:37-0:38, 1:48, 0:56-1:00 and 1:01-1:05.

If the ad had shown that this is a problem with all races by showing all (or most) of them being toxic then I would have been completely fine with it. As it stands now I won't be buying any more Gillette products since every time I look at them I'll just be reminded of this commercial. Not really a loss since I recently got a Braun shaver anyways and would have been cutting back on razors.

I also understand that people will just assume I'm a far right asshole when the reality is I'm a Canadian liberal that despises Trump. I've probably made some enemies with my first post but I wanted people to know that not everyone offended is a right wing troll.

Oct 28, 2017
White fragility is also a thing

While I think corporations moralizing shit for profit is disgusting, this ad is a great Rorschach test so far. Its almost uniquely white men losing their goddamn minds over this because they feel personally attacked. While most other people point out that there's like no reason for someone who isn't garbage to feel insulted over this advertisement.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Joe Rogan is completely triggered by this. To the shock of no one.

But he isn't alt right (lol).

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
The negative reactions to this ad are hilarious. If you feel targeted by this then it's time you realize your problem. The ad was about how a man need to stand up to misogyny, bullying and racism and somehow people are angry at this lol.

Oct 28, 2017
Joe Rogan is completely triggered by this. To the shock of no one.

But he isn't alt right (lol).

Rogan is trash but a lot of people are set off by this, not just the alt-right. I've noticed that its almost uniquely the white male variety who are getting upset by this ad.

Like I said in my previous post, this ad seems to be a huge Rorschach test. Even my dad, an Asian who still indirectly believes in a lot of machismo bullshit, is confused that people are getting so upset by a pretty mild ad calling for decency and common sense when communicating and interacting with women.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

Before mocking me please at least hear me out... I grew up with sisters and a single mother who worked hard for everything we got. So I have great respect for women. I know this ad wasn't directed at me but it still annoys me anyways.

The reason is the way it seems to portray toxic masculinity as an almost exclusively white male problem. Don't get me wrong there's at least one adult black man in the video being toxic but it just feels like he was thrown in after someone brought the issue up.

Imagine this video if the skin color on all the white and black men was reversed. Imagine how a black man would feel watching such an ad with the scenes at 0:37-0:38, 1:48, 0:56-1:00 and 1:01-1:05.

If the ad had shown that this is a problem with all races by showing all (or most) of them being toxic then I would have been completely fine with it. As it stands now I won't be buying any more Gillette products since every time I look at them I'll just be reminded of this commercial. Not really a loss since I recently got a Braun shaver anyways and would have been cutting back on razors.

I also understand that people will just assume I'm a far right asshole when the reality is I'm a Canadian liberal that despises Trump. I've probably made some enemies with my first post but I wanted people to know that not everyone offended is a right wing troll.

It's as if being the status quo majority is different than being a minority. Freaking weird. Sorry you feel slightly uncomfortable, I guess (though not really. Try being stereotyped every day of your adult life and get back to me).

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I think it's telling that you've had an account for a year and this was the line that was crossed (as a first time poster) for you to address the OP in a multiparagraph response. Not.. racism, sexism, sexual assault, children being thrown in prison camps, but a razor company asking men to look in the mirror because of a history of an imbalance in power and abuse of it.

And your argument is that poor white men are being persecuted in what you see as a representation of only a white person problem.

You know

Instead of just taking the message of "men have a history of being shitty with their abuse of power in regard to respecting women and extreme masculinity and generally need to be better and call out bullshit when they see it, especially in light of the #MeToo movement".

I'm a white guy and never once thought this was only a message to white men. You literally have to go looking for this to get there.

But.. thanks for taking a stand.. for white men.. I guess, and stepping out of the shadows.. for this. Because we're definitely the ones who need the most help in this context. Fucking Christ.

Oct 25, 2017

lmao. Waiting from February of last year for this as your first post. Oh my god, I'm dying here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Men feeling attacked by this it's probably top3 most pathetic shit i've ever heard about. Really proves the point of fragile, toxic masculinity.

Edit: I'll echo the sentiment on this thread and say that Piers Morgan is a fucking cunt.

Last edited:

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
That's definitely who that was directed toward. Not enough POCs being made to look bad. Only one black guy made to look bad lol. Even broke down the white genocide scenes by what times they happen at lol. I'm sure they would be complaining about the lack of diversity if it were about how awesome men are.
this person prolly didn't look for that stuff themselves

Likely already frequents a place that would be predictably outraged over it

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely who that was directed toward. Not enough POCs being made to look bad. Only one black guy made to look bad lol. Even broke down the white genocide scenes by what times they happen at lol. I'm sure they would be complaining about the lack of diversity if it were about how awesome men are.

It's a 1 post burner account. That guy ain't serious about shit.

"I hate Trump, I'm as liberal as the newfallen snow, I'm a purehearted Canadian." I bet he thought he was writing the magnum opus of troll posts.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of this for the same reason that I don't like the whole Nike - Kaepernick thing: because the corporations using these social movements as a way to brand themselves are flat out hypocrites. They're trying to sell you on something thinking that they're sincere when really, they couldn't care less and only want your goodwill and your $$$. At least in Kaepernick's case, it was about what he had sacrificed, although the bullshit in Nike trying to profit out of it when they use sweatshops and are morally unethical is horseshit.

Not to mention, the irony of using "The Best a Man can Get" as a socially positive slogan, when it was rooted in sexist mentalities both in terms of attractiveness + the idea of what makes a man (hence their whole bullshit marketing back then on what "manliness" is all about). Now all of a sudden, they want to criticize the men that they were technically responsible for re-affirming these beliefs on what a man is through their past advertising. And the worst part is that they never addressed their own complicity when criticizing men's behaviour.

Look past their marketing, it's just another capitalistic company feeding you feel-good bullshit.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

white_fragility_by_digi_matrix-dawhqyf.gif

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
The true magic of this ad is how much of a honeypot it is.

If you are a genuinely good man, you won't find anything in the ad personally insulting. If you are legitimately angered by it, you are waving a big red flag that you have serious fragility issues at best, or toxicity/misogyny issues as worst. So many dudes outing themselves and they can't even see it.

Even better is that it is also outing people with racial issues as well. The same right-leaning people who try to claim "they don't see colour" seem to be hypersensitive to which characters are what colour in the ad. Curious.

Take a bow Gillette.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it whenever people talk about it being a race thing they always hop to "what if it was a black dude!!!"?

Like do you need it to be a black dude specifically in order to feel like its equal?

If you live in Canada like me, you'd know that it's population of black people is 3%. The countries white population is fucking 80% lol. Why would you expect it not to be mostly white people? Ignoring all the issues with systemic racism, why would you expect this ad to have a ton black people if you were approaching it from a Canadian perspective?

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Global assault on masculinity"

Because white-cis-masculine men are the real assaulted and persecuted group on the world.

How fucking stupid you have to be to believe that shit?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of this for the same reason that I don't like the whole Nike - Kaepernick thing: because the corporations using these social movements as a way to brand themselves are flat out hypocrites. They're trying to sell you on something thinking that they're sincere when really, they couldn't care less and only want your goodwill and your $$$. At least in Kaepernick's case, it was about what he had sacrificed, although the bullshit in Nike trying to profit out of it when they use sweatshops and are morally unethical is horseshit.

Not to mention, the irony of using "The Best a Man can Get" as a socially positive slogan, when it was rooted in sexist mentalities both in terms of attractiveness + the idea of what makes a man (hence their whole bullshit marketing back then on what "manliness" is all about). Now all of a sudden, they want to criticize the men that they were technically responsible for re-affirming these beliefs on what a man is.

Look past their marketing, it's just another capitalistic company feeding you feel-good bullshit.

While you're not necessarily wrong, at least they're going this way instead of something along the lines of "WE STAND FOR THE FLAG JUST LIKE OUR RAZOR MAKES YOUR HAIRS STAND STRAIGHT UP FOR A SMOOTH SHAVE GOD BLESS AMERICA." There's some good to come from the idea that a company even thinks that it's a good idea to try and promote a message like this.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Not to mention, the irony of using "The Best a Man can Get" as a socially positive slogan, when it was rooted in sexist mentalities both in terms of attractiveness + the idea of what makes a man (hence their whole bullshit marketing back then on what "manliness" is all about). Now all of a sudden, they want to criticize the men that they were technically responsible for re-affirming these beliefs on what a man is through their past advertising. And the worst part is that they never addressed their own complicity when criticizing men's behaviour.

While you're not necessarily wrong, at least they're going this way instead of something along the lines of "WE STAND FOR THE FLAG JUST LIKE OUR RAZOR MAKES YOUR HAIRS STAND STRAIGHT UP FOR A SMOOTH SHAVE GOD BLESS AMERICA." There's some good to come from the idea that a company even thinks that it's a good idea to try and promote a message like this.
I don't think anybody really doubts that they're doing it for money. But if being a good person becomes profitable instead of fucking MAGA or gun wielding bullshit, the message is still being sent to the masses. I'm not going to get up in arms over it. I'm also not going to necessarily just buy a product because they sent the message, but I'm failing to see it as a bad thing when you consider the usual alternative of sex, guns, manly man bullshit, etc.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
It's just weird. As a black dude I watched that video and understood the point was all men need to get better. My take away wasn't, "hey there are no minorities, we're goooooood" I don't get how dude's be watching that shit being like "they didn't show enough minorities being shitty". Like how is that your take away?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's just weird. As a black dude I watched that video and understood the point was all men need to get better. My take away wasn't, "hey there are no minorities, we're goooooood" I don't get how dude's be watching that shit being like "they didn't show enough minorities being shitty". Like how is that your take away?
You have to go looking for it. Like people who already hate a movie and pause fight scenes in so they can argue about how bad the choreography is because someone actually missed a punch.

Oct 26, 2017
Feel good yet they got a shitton of dumb outrage over it and people saying they'd never buy their products again

I mean, assholes whining and exposing themselves makes me feel good but i'm sure that's not what you meant

I don't really care about the racist clowns who got triggered over the message of the commercial, especially when said message was so harmless to begin with.

What I meant is, if you're going to make a socially positive message like that, then you better go all-in, address your own failure as a company that re-affirmed these toxic beliefs, instead of pretending like you care when it's just another marketing ploy that everyone will forget about after 5 months.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I don't really care about the racist clowns who got triggered over the message of the commercial, especially when said message was so harmless to begin with.

What I meant is, if you're going to make a socially positive message like that, then you better go all-in, address your own failure as a company that re-affirmed these toxic beliefs, instead of pretending like you care when it's just another marketing ploy that everyone will forget about after 5 months.
i don't entirely disagree

Oct 25, 2017

It's not. I gaurantee you the guy was looking to move the conversation towards white fragility using an alt account so he can post screenshots or links elsewhere of people here yelling about how shitty white dudes are thus making white men look like victims and era look like a white hating mob. It's all for the circlejerk, you see.