• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I can't believe some people are offended by this. Holy shit, are conservatives so sensitive and determined to keep the status quo that they'll call out companies addressing sexual harassment or just respecting each other? I'm astonished.

That ad was fantastic.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
Gillette just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about male culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like being a SJW soy boy where you can become successful by being all nice. If you don't screw someone over as a man, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is punching someone in the nuts. Hard.

What this means is the male public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Gillette razors, nor will they purchase any of Gillette's products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gillette has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gillette, publicly apologize and cancel this campaign, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

...🤓

(The ad is incredible. Watching the irony of #notallmen come out in force has all but reinforced its point, even though it uses both text and subtext to state it's far from attacking men. Proves that some people you'll never be able to reach, but if others are talking about it, then it's a win.)
FINALLY A POST THAT UNDERSTANDS ME

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I see your point, I just feel like the ad would have had more positive impact and much less backlash had it not mentioned those 2 topics.
I get what you're saying, but the likelihood that the exact same people wouldn't be raging and taking umbrage with the ad is pretty small when much of that discontent with it is about the message itself, irrespective of bringing up these 2 topics.
I'm far less optimistic that we wouldn't be in the same place regardless.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This is 100% true. Toxic masculinity is a subject that hasn't once come up at my work (which is dealing with foul mouthed truck drivers all day) and just today this commercial came up in 3 separate conversations.
Awareness is always the first step.
I was also in a male dominated occupation (military), and the amount of toxic masculinity was ridiculous. It didn't take long before I realized that it was indeed toxic. Distancing myself from that culture was the best thing that every happened for my social life.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm buying it, when you're a college kid or someone growing facial hair for the first time Gillette is the first thing you think of and although the ad didn't even show someone actually shaving anyone who knows Gillette knows what the ad was trying to accomplish.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Awareness is always the first step.
I was also in a male dominated occupation (military), and the amount of toxic masculinity was ridiculous. It didn't take long before I realized that it was indeed toxic. Distancing myself from that culture was the best thing that every happened for my social life.
Aye. Its not too bad for me here. I don't have to socialize if I don't want to. I don't have to hear too much shit from people at work. Its people I know outside of work I've been distancing myself from. It's crazy how many people have really shown their asses over the last few years.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, it appears that Gillette isn't a good product for sensitive skin after all.

Perfection.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to wonder how sincere these types of comments are or if they're just racists being trolls.

I try to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this kind of thing, but that's just too unbelievable, how on earth would a black guy stopping a white guy be racist?

lol

It's the power dynamic. The black guy took control, and stopped the white guy. Keeping the white guy from his conquest of pursuing the white woman.

Flip the script, and have the white guy stopping the black guy. "Well of course the black guy is being all thuggish and ignorant trying to violate the pretty white girl!"

The LEVELS of triggering from this ad is amazing.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I recall when I got an elaborate gift box from Gilette at 18. Was wild that they somehow knew when I turned 18 well before the big rise of the net, probably got it off of registering for selective services or for voting or something, god knows.

Looked like this
fusionbox2.jpg

Anyway all this commercial shit is so tame, can't believe it's setting people off. God damn.
Personally I just bought a safety razor and a couple hundred razors to last me forever ages ago, but like people getting up in arms about this stuff are wild.

MRYEAH

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The hall across the room
Love the message
the vision to be the same advertising agency that used Kap for Nike.
However the execution is weak I need more emotional context to make this memorable not just a blip on social media for 72 hours.
They needed to nail the Right Now we can all be better men point and it seems they just went very tame on hey kids stop fighting
Huge props to P&G they are killing it right now

Misterman

Jun 10, 2018
Been reading some critique from those opposed to the ad and it seems the only reason people have against it is that more white men are seemingly bad while more black men are doing good. Something like out of 7 people doing good, 5 are black... then the usual racist comments follow which they think aren't racist because they're "facts" like claiming black men rape and kill more than white men, failing to acknowledge other factors like household income.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally took the time to watch this and this is a great example of taking a popular, well known slogan and modernizing it for the current world.

People hating this are just you're prototypical men who view themselves as alphas and all that other 'old times' bullshit.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The ad already sacrifices a ton in its attempt to coddle men. If it had not mentioned those two topics then it would have been left almost entirely toothless.

If men are so tough and brave and strong then they should be able to take a little criticism.
Imagine not being able to handle an arcing softball like this. "Hey, let's try to do better since men have a nasty history of sexual abuse and sexist behavior/rhetoric" (which was actually sugar coded to hell in this video)

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS.

I mean, it appears that Gillette isn't a good product for sensitive skin after all.

Perfection.

Wowwwww, incredible

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
The entire point of the ad to criticize the toxic masculine culture that made movements like #MeToo necessary to hold men accountable for sexual assault and harassment.

You can't just have the ad telling men to be better about these things without identifying a context and cause. If anything, that would make the snowflakes even more mad, because they would be enabled to further suppose that the ad is attacking men with arbitrary misandry instead of criticizing learned, reversible behaviors with clear consequences.
I see what you mean; what I am trying to say is that there a lot of people out there who dont support everything about the #MeToo and Toxic Masculinity movements but still dont think bullying or sexual harassment is fine; your statement makes sense if you go under that assumption which is probably true in most cases.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I get what you're saying, but the likelihood that the exact same people wouldn't be raging and taking umbrage with the ad is pretty small when much of that discontent with it is about the message itself, irrespective of bringing up these 2 topics.
I'm far less optimistic that we wouldn't be in the same place regardless.
That's a reasonable assumption; but there are many who are against both bullying and sexual harassment who do not agree with how the whole #MeToo and Toxic Masculinity movements went down and the controversies involved in them.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
That's a reasonable assumption; but there are many who are against both bullying and sexual harassment who do not agree with how the whole #MeToo and Toxic Masculinity movements went down and the controversies involved in them.

Are there? I'd love to see someone explain "not supporting Metoo and the concept of toxic masculinity" while also "not supporting bullying and sexual harassment".

Like, what are the specific issues these supposed "many" have with the MeToo movement? And toxic masculinity is a pretty fucking simple concept to understand, so I'm always dubious when someone claims not to get it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its really telling that this ad is nothing more then saying "Hey maybe lets be better to each other and also not treat women like shit" and the response is a fucking temper tantrum.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet money not a single one of the people behind these posts is even old enough to need a razor.
don't underestimate the neckbeard millennial contingent on youtube comments.
does that mean what I assume it means?
In that case... fuck them, and fuck those youtubers running adds for them
really? they make a tweet yesterday and suddenly fuck everybody they sponsored before they made tweet?

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Are there? I'd love to see someone explain "not supporting Metoo and the concept of toxic masculinity" while also "not supporting bullying and sexual harassment".

Like, what are the specific issues these supposed "many" have with the MeToo movement? And toxic masculinity is a pretty fucking simple concept to understand, so I'm always dubious when someone claims not to get it.
I never said they dont support the concept of both movements; I specifically said not agreeing with how they went down and the controversies behind them.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
On principle I don't like when commercial enterprises use a socio-political message. It feels masturbatory. That said, that was a fantastic advertisement, and a shaving razor company is a good one to pitch it.

Anyone who is offended by this ad is either so insecure, or with such a fragile masculinity, that they interpret any call for basic human decency as an assault on themselves.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
21 pages huh.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

it's a good message, a little corny in execution maybe, but a good message nonetheless.