• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
a8WrlNz.gif

YDw9nFl.gif

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone point me in the direction of TG16 specs/where it fits tech-wise with consoles and other computers of the time? I'm sure what's posted here is mega impressive, but I have no context :( I assume it's somewhere between, say, Master System and Genesis (being closer to MS)?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
What game/games are these?

That's still Grandia (saturn/ps1) 1998 :P

Can anyone point me in the direction of TG16 specs/where it fits tech-wise with consoles and other computers of the time? I'm sure what's posted here is mega impressive, but I have no context :( I assume it's somewhere between, say, Master System and Genesis (being closer to MS)?

Don't know if this helps
https://necretro.org/PC_Engine

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

f699ca11bc82bff6457f098771db77b8.gif

These animations were why I fell in love with Shining Force in the first place. Not as impressive as some other games shown here but compared to what Nintendo was doing with Fire Emblem on the SNES at the time this was really impressive.

Oct 27, 2017
That looks great. I've only ever played the PSP game, which I believe is an anthology of sorts? Do you know if this game is included in that? Or there must be a translation patch for this version, right?

I don't think there's a translation patch, but I think the PSP version has it? Though what I heard, it's not really up to snuff compared to the original PS1 version (Idk why I typed SNES lol my mind is going crazy)

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Can't find any gifs but I used to love the spells and geomorphing in Populous the Beginning.

I found this youtube vid, which shows off some cool stuff.

A god game/RTS released in 1998 and every map was globe shaped. It still holds up I feel.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Dick Tracy, Genesis, 1990 (Blue Sky software)
- two planes of gameplay, one for pistol/fists and one for tommy gun

giphy.gif
Always enjoyed that you could shoot the crap out of windows, lampposts, hydrants etc. Really gave an oomph to your tommy gun sprays when the background gets wrecked along with gunning down mooks. The sidescrolling handgun felt wimpy and slow by comparison.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best thread on this whole forum, and an amazing example of how a community of interested people can aggregate and share niche knowledge.

Gaming historians should be paying attention to this one.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Ai Cho Aniki (1995) pc engine super CD-Rom. A sequel to the original titled Cho Aniki where you control either Idaten or Benten two celestial warriors who must defeat an emperor who is bent on invading galaxies in order to obtain more protein. Along the way you are aided by two options called Samson and Adon. In this game Adon and Samson are now the protags as Idaten has gone missing and along the way Benten will assist you as the galaxy is under a new threat.

Lkvr303.gif

zcr7Kv0.gif

6BI76EM.gif

bYdOuRv.gif

Keke094

Oct 31, 2017
Unless I missed something, this is a PS1 game, not SNES.
fyi, no one know about this there was a plan for Popolocrois as SNES/SFC game. it was started back when nintendo has signed a contract with sony to produce CD-ROM for SNES, but the plan was cancelled, and popolocrois become sony title. here the real concept for project was started long ago (that illustration was also included in its artbook):

That looks great. I've only ever played the PSP game, which I believe is an anthology of sorts? Do you know if this game is included in that? Or there must be a translation patch for this version, right?

i played both PS1 and PSP but that one was sort of like edited version and was a remake. but still i'm enjoying that.. they cut everything important in PSP to less them.
in PSP they didn't including PopoRogue (gameplay was changed to roguelike and its fun to play, and have a lot interesting recruit characters). you can see how different both of them here by aquagon: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/924639-popolocrois/60087318 ..

reading some of interview back then by agetec they also planning Popolocrois for PS2 but they cancelled to localized it.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Silhouette Mirage - Saturn ver. 1997. An underrated game but I think it has a very steep learning curve that puts people off. PS1 port got a western release though with some extras.

JBGyNoU.gif

IC8EoBA.gif

bMU2URk.gif

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Silhouette Mirage - Saturn ver. 1997. An underrated game but I think it has a very steep learning curve that puts people off. PS1 port got a western release though with some extras.
Oh my God. The thread that keeps on giving. This looks fantastic, especially the expressiveness of the characters in the second gif. Reminds me of Noitu Love (which compliments both games).

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

JBGyNoU.gif

IC8EoBA.gif

bMU2URk.gif
That's why we need a Saturn Classic.

I would love to give a second chance to this game. God damn it is beautiful

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Can't find any gifs but I used to love the spells and geomorphing in Populous the Beginning.

I found this youtube vid, which shows off some cool stuff.

A god game/RTS released in 1998 and every map was globe shaped. It still holds up I feel.

Funnily the map was not a globe, but a standard quad and vertexes are just pushed down away from player to make it look like a globe.
Made things like morphing terrain a lot easier.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Funnily the map was not a globe, but a standard quad and vertexes are just pushed down away from player to make it look like a globe.
Made things like morphing terrain a lot easier.
Really? That's a clever trick. I guess it worked really well, because I never questioned it in all these years.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Before stunning the world with Donkey Kong Country, Rare already unleashed some nice tricks on SNES with Battletoads in Battlemaniacs.

Reflective floor with parallax scrolling.
Note that the floor checkered patter (light and darker squares) influence the reflection in realtime (it's light blue or dark blue)

OMEkRL.gif

Waving flag:
L7YDwA.gif

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Rare on SNES, it's a pity Dreams Land of Giants was never released.
Not only it had massive CGI graphics but also some nice tricks up its sleeves like the parallax scrolling branches in the foreground that cast a real time shadow on the characters or a big dinosaur (?) leg that stomp the main character which is animated in real time (the leg rotation).

A couple gifs from it:

oVvKk3.gif

oVvKlj.gif

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
One of the funniest use of transparency in a boss battle on SNES ever (Gambare Goemon 2):

jZvKG4.gif

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Tilting in The adventures of Batman and Robin for SNES (basically by shifting chunk of graphics vertically and horizontally in a set way you can approximate a slight rotation).

0YAA6L.gif

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Super Monkey Ball for GameBoy Advance.

giphy.gif

This console has come up multiple times in this thread and I just have no idea how devs were achieving what they were on that console.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that one of the CPUs in the GBA was actually really popular with the demo scene in some British microcomputer (maybe even the Amiga) so a lot of those guys had a leg up and were able to make it do some pretty crazy things almost immediately.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Tilting in The adventures of Batman and Robin for SNES (basically by shifting chunk of graphics vertically and horizontally in a set way you can approximate a slight rotation).

0YAA6L.gif

This looks more like hardware rotation to me? The method you describe I think would have yielded more noticeable seams in the tiles with how the shifting would be quantized. Plus, it looks like that particular scene lacks a parallax background layer which is what they typically sacrificed for mode7 effects.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
This looks more like hardware rotation to me? The method you describe I think would have yielded more noticeable seams in the tiles with how the shifting would be quantized. Plus, it looks like that particular scene lacks a parallax background layer which is what they typically sacrificed for mode7 effects.
I could be wrong but I don't think it's hardware rotation.
When you look at it frame by frame you can clearly see chunk (stripes) of graphics being manipulated (on youtube pause the video and use . to advance to the next frame and , to returno to the ppevious one) :