• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
33YsxgC.jpg

XErRcY1.jpg

3lE1rkb.jpg

wWek2Xm.jpg

In the Hunt, circa 1993 (Arcade, later Saturn and PS1). Sprites and water effects.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
I think 1080º Avalanche had some cool visual effects back in the day.

tumblr_njziekX0UC1r7sijxo1_400.gif

...I wonder if Nintendo sees value in making a "xtreme" sports game compilation, incuding this, Wave Race and maybe ExciteBike together in one package. A la Wii Sport.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Light Crusader (Genesis) by Treasure because it had this cool sense of scale with everything. Here are some bosses:

lxYyq5.gif

6X8w39.gif

I loved all the crazy effect that Light Crusader shows. It a fun game also.

Driver 3 on the Gameboy Advance

r8kGyk.gif

That engine was nuts. They are the same guys that made V-Rally 3 and the Asterix game in GBA aren't they?

I was always really impressed with the 32X version of Virtua Racing. The console isn't great, and it's 3D capabilities are very limited, but it works so well for this game.

wVpzR1.gif
M2's Switch version can't come soon enough

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
EqIr8Br.gif

My personal favorite from Sin & Punishment on the N64. Treasure were the best at unique and stunning visual effects for any console they developed for IMO. They always pushed the limits of whatever hardware they worked on.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
EqIr8Br.gif

My personal favorite from Sin & Punishment on the N64. Treasure were the best at unique and stunning visual effects for any console they developed for IMO. They always pushed the limits of whatever hardware they worked on.
I wish I liked to play those types of games more.

KiIcarus, S&P and Panzer Dragoon are all gorgeous games that play like boring arcade light games.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

Geese Howard, from Fatal Fury 3 intro. It seems simple but with the music, it's like "holy shit this dude is a bad ass"

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a prerendered, looping animated "gif" that's larger than the screen.
Stardust on Amiga used the same trick.
Iridion 2 also has prerendered looping backgrounds

Blazing Star on neogeo used something similar on the...second stage I believe

I believe Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi on SNES used a similar trick (looped animation) but coupled with the Mode 7 layer so that you could rotate around the tunnel.
The developer also faked the laser beam lighting on the tunnel by adding a transparent red or green hue over the background.

K1O84J.gif

MwjZ4R.gif

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
The alternative way to do a tunnel sequence on SNES would have been by using two Mode 7 layers to simulate the floor and ceiling and to use different size sprites in and out to fake out the forward movement like Factor5 did with Super Turrican 2 (obviously no rotation allowed in this case but there isn't the noticeable transition when the loop restart as with the technique above):
p8gZJy.gif

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man the intro and the first level music. Nostalgia overload. That bass line in the first level is amazing

This one was awesome as well.

These games entertained me but I can't remember ever knowing what the fuck I was doing lmao.

I do love the lack of continuity in the intro. Goes from the red jeep in the first shot, to the accurate green 4X4 in the Rex' mouth, then it's the red jeep again in the level.

I had a fairly bizarre experience with that game as a kid, where me and my brother were unable to beat the last boss as Grant. We heard from someone to attack the skeleton, as you're meant to, but we always attacked the wrong part. I actually had a dream once that I finished the game and saw the ending after breaking the skeleton, but then a long time later I replayed the game and actually finished it, then the ending was remarkably similar to the random dream I'd had, apart from the skeleton breaking differently. Not that it's a very detailed ending.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a prerendered, looping animated "gif" that's larger than the screen.
Stardust on Amiga used the same trick.
Iridion 2 also has prerendered looping backgrounds

Blazing Star on neogeo used something similar on the...second stage I believe

I was gonna say "but the camera position changes!", but yeah, it doesn't. The "gif" is just panned around. Impressive effect still.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I believe Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi on SNES used a similar trick (looped animation) but coupled with the Mode 7 layer so that you could rotate around the tunnel.
The developer also faked the laser beam lighting on the tunnel by adding a transparent red or green hue over the background.

K1O84J.gif

MwjZ4R.gif
These gifs stress me out. That level was impossible for me as a kid

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Cannon Fodder FMV intro, Game Boy Color

rmDijF.gif

And the 3D menu screen (end of the video):

Toy Story Racer, Game Boy Color

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The Atari Lynx conversion was also every inch as impressive too (thanks to the use of Lynx in hardware sprites scaling to 'fake' 3D and its small screen).
It was the best home conversion of Stun Runner at the time.

OMYpNB.gif

(the above captured footage is a bit blurred but at least it is real hardware)
Here's a great writeup of how the game was made to look so good, by the guy who actually made it!

What the shit, do you just straight-up punch birds in that game?!?

3D tunnel sequences in I of the Mask (ZX Spectrum, 1985)
giphy.gif
Oh, that's fucking insane.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I think 1080º Avalanche had some cool visual effects back in the day.
The original 1080 for N64 had some cool snow/ice/shadow/lighting (lens flare, colored textures to simulate light reflection) effects as well despite the early 3D hardware:

1080 was miles ahead the other snowboard games on consoles at the time (and not just because of graphics but also animations and physics).
yo8pZg.gif

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of real 3D on the original Game Boy (real time rendered) there is Hard Drivin:
ZY4ZqQ.gif

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original 1080 for N64 had some cool snow/ice/shadow/lighting (lens flare, colored textures to simulate light reflection) effects as well despite the early 3D hardware:

1080 was miles ahead the other snowboard games on consoles at the time (and not just because of graphics but also animations and physics).
yo8pZg.gif
Their clothes flapped in the wind!!!! It was incredible.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Hmm, is this actual 3D though, or is it FMV? The latter seems more likely. Which is still impressive for GBC, but actual polygonal graphics would have been insane. And probably impossible!
These are FMV of course. There were a certain amount of games using this technique on GBC, like F1 World Championship 2000 and a motocross game from which I forgot the name...

Runner

Nov 1, 2017

Geese Howard, from Fatal Fury 3 intro. It seems simple but with the music, it's like "holy shit this dude is a bad ass"

Here's a thought experiment: Imagine what he must have looked like during the cut. knees up in the air raising his feet above the table. i dont think it's possible to do this and actually be bad-ass without a jump cut.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Moonstone on Amiga also had really good animations for it's time. Anyone remember that game and have any good gifs at hand?

Edit:
MasculinePessimisticAphid-max-1mb.gif

Last edited: