• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Only Xbox One X has been discontinued, One S still being sold

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
www.gamesindustry.biz

Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital discontinued ahead of Xbox Series X

Update: A Microsoft representative has confirmed the discontinuation of the Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital Editi…
Update: Xbox exec assures One S model is still available, attributes confusion to change in SKU number
As spotted by our sister site Pure Xbox, a Microsoft exec has already confirmed that the Xbox One S has not been discontinued.

Replying to a Twitter user regarding the Amazon listing, Xbox's console business planning lead Dan Tavares said the lower-end device is "very much still available."

"We just changed SKU numbers," he added. "Amazon is just messy in how they show products."

At present, Tavares does not appear to have commented on the availability of the Xbox One X or original Xbox One
That said, with Lockhart also being a thing and both consoles having full BC, I fully expect Xbox One manufacturing to get discontinued at this time, although they probably have plenty of stock piled up to see them through for a good while.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Not a surprise for anyone following stock levels. Either discontinued or drastically reduced.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that they change the SKU this late in a products life. Well, not important really.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
If there wasn't that assurance about the One S from the Xbox exec, I'd almost say they may be doing so to make sure they have materials for Series X manufacturing.

Clarification on the Source

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Would love if our article could be added to the OP as it's the source for the GI.Biz article.

press-start.com.au

The Xbox One X Has Been Discontinued In Australia

it's also weird because I never stated in my original article that the Xbox One S was discontinued here. Just the Xbox One X.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
so it's likely that One X will be discontinued soon and One S will be discontinued when lockhart is fully revealed yeah?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no reason to ditch One S, but I do fully expect XB1X and PS4 Pro to disappear completely after 2020

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, so Xbox One S to be cheap streaming clients for XCloud then? I guess it makes sense with Gamepass around to allow a cost effective way to play Minecraft and so on. Just wondering what MS plan is next gen for S.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
Seems odd to specifically address the One S still being available and not mention the One X

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Hmmm, so Xbox One S to be cheap streaming clients for XCloud then? I guess it makes sense with Gamepass around to allow a cost effective way to play Minecraft and so on. Just wondering what MS plan is next gen for S.
I'd hazard a guess at that.

change one s to "series s(streaming only)"

lockhart becomes series e(entry level)

series x (Xtreme)

following the telsa model naming convention

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Makes sense to discontinue X, no point selling an old gen console at the price of new gen, while S can keep selling to people tight on budget, it's a great machine for <200$ and could get people to sign for Ultimate sub and then convert to series S/X.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Would love if our article could be added to the OP as it's the source for the GI.Biz article.

press-start.com.au

it's also weird because I never stated in my original article that the Xbox One S was discontinued here. Just the Xbox One X.
Nice find, it makes sense for Australia to discontinue first. We probably aren't a big enough market to warrant sending one x too anymore with series x around the corner.

have you heard anything about production line changes? I was under the assumption that the series x line took over the one x line after the cyberpunk consoles were made back in May, stronger covid demand probably means their projections of stock needed to meet demand until next gen were out

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Nice find, it makes sense for Australia to discontinue first. We probably aren't a big enough market to warrant sending one x too anymore with series x around the corner.

have you heard anything about production line changes? I was under the assumption that the series x line took over the one x line after the cyberpunk consoles were made back in May, stronger covid demand probably means their projections of stock needed to meet demand until next gen were out

are the assembly lines still foxconn with basically an employee assembly line? With the rumors of Sony being able to churn out a console every 30 seconds due to their own factory being nearly all automation seems like a smart move for microsoft to just hault everything and focus on lockhart and Series X. Especially since lockhart is looking to replace the S model. I am actually amazed an xbox series S is still $299. Is this the first time going into a new generation we don't have $199 home consoles?

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
are the assembly lines still foxconn with basically an employee assembly line? With the rumors of Sony being able to churn out a console every 30 seconds due to their own factory being nearly all automation seems like a smart move for microsoft to just hault everything and focus on lockhart and Series X. Especially since lockhart is looking to replace the S model. I am actually amazed an xbox series S is still $299. Is this the first time going into a new generation we don't have $199 home consoles?
Re reading the article he only states the one s as "available" which probably means "in a warehouse waiting to be sold"

they most definitely aren't making new ones imo

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Re reading the article he only states the one s as "available" which probably means "in a warehouse waiting to be sold"

they most definitely aren't making new ones imo

yes, if they are......i feel it would be digital only basically as a media streaming box. Would make sense. But i highly doubt they are manufacturing any new ones from here on out. They probably did a last run, all bundles i know are dead or sold out. Every unit is discontinued except a base model 1TB S which right now you can only get on the official microsoft website.

As for Xbox One X? Yes, those you will not be able to find anymore.

Production for the xbox one i think is over. End of an era, to the start of something new. Microsoft is probably salivating to finally get a nice start with no DRM blunder like the last generation.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Farewell Xbox One X, you are still the most powerful game console ever created with your beautiful 6 TERAFLOPS,

You will always be safe in my home with all your brothers and sisters.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So does this news make xbox 1x (since s will continue to exist)officially the shortest manufactured xbox platform? ( around 2 years and 8 months )

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I mean that makes sense if Scarlet is true. Wouldn't make sense to get an X when Scarlet exists.

I don't regret getting the X for 500 bucks. The best console I ever owned, absolutely marvelous

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Looks more like they are just waiting until Lockhart is actually announced to deprecate the one S.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It's been obvious for a while judging by availability. I guess sales have been quite low for a while and MS is about to announce Lockhart as a "cheap" option.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
interesting wording from MS. Explicitly stating 1S is still around and not mentioning X is pretty much confirmation that X is discontinued at least in that market.

I mean, it makes sense - I expect the same for ps pro. 1S exists as a low price entry, and people looking to buy 1S now are not likely looking to buy next gen. But the existence of 1S (or PS4) at $200-250 pricing also helps sell the value of your next gen if its 'only' $100-200 to buy in to the fancy new machines. So I'd expect both entry level machines to stay on the market for a while yet

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
We should have a thread where we celebrate the XOX accomplishments, like list all the 360 games with variable framerate that play at rock-solid 60fps on the X. I think some of the Halos and Bioshocks do that?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah bring on that rapid transition ;)
So does this news make xbox 1x (since s will continue to exist)officially the shortest manufactured xbox platform? ( around 2 years and 8 months )
Seems like it is and it matches the OG PS4 which was also discontinued after 2yr8mo replaced by the slim.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like how various websites/blogs for the past weeks have been trying to find the A-HA! moment by looking at some Amazon listings. It wasn't true the first time, it won't become true the 5th either. But I guess that if they republish this scoop every week until the end of time... eventually it will become right, as Xbox One will one day stop being produced.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I can see it too, but at the same time seems like they want to get rid of the Xbox One moniker as soon as possible.

I could see them keeping the One S around for a while as a super cheap option. It's a good box for a Minecraft or Fortnite player or something. That $99 digital edition they did at Black Friday flew off shelves.

Definitely don't see the point in keeping the One X around though. It's still £449 RRP (obviously you've been able to find it cheaper recently) and, presumably, Lockhart is going to be more powerful, cheaper and is able to play all of the same games. No reason to buy a One X if that's available.