• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Uh. Not liking how this part of the article is phrased:

There was also a subtle jab at Microsoft's recently launched all-digital Xbox One, as well as persistent rumours that one of the firm's next generation consoles will be a digital- or even streaming-only device, with Ryan emphasising PlayStation uses will always have the option of retail.

"We fully embraced the network area and have seen our business shift to have a significant portion be accounted for by digital downloads," he said. "But we never forced the digital model on anyone -- our hardware has always had a disc drive and that will continue with next-gen."

the second quote certainly does not follow the first.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
All I give a shit about is PS4 backwards comparability. I have a tonne of PS4 digital games i haven't played yet, and a few that I plan on playing going forward regardless what games get released for PS5. I sold my launch PS4 system and right now don't have a PlayStation console; I'm waiting for PS5's release to start gaming in their eco system again. So yeah PS4 backwards compatibility is very important to me.
yup, and as other have mentioned games like Fortnite, Minecraft, GTA, and Apex need to easily carry over to PS5. Having said that, PS1/PS2 emulation can't be difficult for Sony at this point and it would be a pretty hype conference if they reveal PS5 as the console to play ALL Playstation games. Goodwill does help especially early on when people are choosing where to play.

Sony does mention PS4 will still be the profit driver for the next 3 years as they try and transition players over to PS5, so I'm assuming that means PS5 may launch outside of the affordable pricepoint and land at $500. Sony will market it as premium until it can get a price-drop maybe?

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
That open source ps3 emulator runs well enough that there can be no doubt that sony could do it if they wanted.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why you guys get disappointed so much. Hyping for something that isn't coming. PS1/PS2 BC is unnecessary. It would be nice but i can see why think it would be a waste of time.

PS3 BC is dead unless they pull out a miracle. Full PS4 BC is the only logical feature we can hope for. And that's been pretty much confirmed already.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love support for PS1, PS2 and PS3 discs, even if they didnt enhance them at all, but i don t really see it happening//

Yep. I think people need to let this go so they don't shit themselves come PS5 reveal time.

PS4 discs + digital will receive full backwards compatibility and enhancements...the legacy content will be available via streaming

People want the PS5 to emulate the architecture of FOUR fucking consoles? The Cell alone is a clusterfuck to navigate isn't it?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If they want to transition users to PS5 quickly, imo $500 is too much. Shoot for $400 and double down on the mid-gen upgrade strategy.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
This will be backwards compatible with the PS4 and the PS4 only. Not sure why there's expectation for anything else, really.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
You know, he was probably just parroting sony's corporate strategy at the time. I doubt he even has his own opinions on the matter

He wasn't, he was just talking about Gran Turismo 1 compared to Gran Turismo Sport. This quote has been twisted and taken out of context so much that it doesn't even have meaning anymore.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Uh. Not liking how this part of the article is phrased:

the second quote certainly does not follow the first.

Sure it does. There's a significant portion of the PS userbase that is digital only and Sony will continue to support that. They're going all in on ensuring they have the infrastructure in place so those players will be catered to.

However, Sony also is in a place where their userbase is spread across the globe in a variety of places (this is not the case for the Xbox which is heavily, HEAVILY US/UK centric) , many of which have questionable internet infrastructure that simply will not support an "all digital" model anytime in the near future. I'm not even talking third world countries, half of the US is in this boat and rural coverage is atrocious.

The actual cost to include a disc drive is trivial in the overall build of the product, and keeping it there also keeps retail partners happy. There's no realistic scenario where a disc drive won't be present on Sony consoles for next gen or even the one after that.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How PS5 will be a success: God of War 2, Spider-Man 2, Naughty Dog

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
He wasn't, he was just talking about Gran Turismo 1 compared to Gran Turismo Sport. This quote has been twisted and taken out of context so much that it doesn't even have meaning anymore.

Ms had just launced its bc program and earned a ton of goodwill for it. Not having bc was seen as one of the biggest shortcomings of playstation ecosystem at the time. (and its still the case) So the playstation dude says "well, old games are bad anyway". If thats not putting a marketing spin on the situation, i dont know what is

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that they NEED it, it did not need it for the PS4... Would be nice tho.
I would love to play ME1-3 on next gen consoles cause at the moment with a busted PS3 i cant.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
That open source ps3 emulator runs well enough that there can be no doubt that sony could do it if they wanted.

If they're happy with ~40% compatibility, assuming it could run that 40% well.

I'm not sure Sony would happy with that, to offer it up as 'universal' PS3 BC.

Sure, they might be able to 'do better', but it's far from a comprehensive base to start with.

The business case for it is also much weaker than for PS4 BC.

Maybe they could do BC for select titles like MS, but this is a relatively labour intensive process, and the likelihood of it is probably a function of the business case for it. i.e. Probably fairly low, unfortunately.

So I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
BC is content. Meaningful content, to a lot of people. The kind of thing to draw people in when the platform has little else to its name, during the early years. That's important.

Not a silver bullet, but I don't think anyone's intent was ever to position BC as a silver bullet - just as something that Sony can't really justify leaving out when it's such a boon to the consumer, not to mention, something that's becoming ubiquitous across digital entertainment platforms.

Or in other words, part of the reason they're including BC is because it'd be somewhat controversial if they did not. Regardless of your position I think that's something we could all agree on - some would make a stink if Xbox had BC (well, Xbox and everything else under the sun that isn't a Nintendo) and PS did not.

So with that and the other ways Sony could benefit from BC in mind, it's really just the smart decision, even if it could be argued to be unnecessary from a business standpoint.

That hasn't hurt Switch nor did it hurt PS4 since the only ways to play BC titles is through PS NOW, and the occasional remake/remaster.

Content is king. And playing a game thats ages old though a great value, isn't the main selling point of new consoles.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Nah it doesn't have to have streaming at all.
BC for PS4 sure at the least. the PS4 sold amazing without any PS1/2/3 BC and the PS5 I'm sure will do the same.

Vaibhav

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
If they are able to come up with generation defining games earlier than ps4, then only it will be successful. Other stuff is useful but not critical.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
This will be backwards compatible with the PS4 and the PS4 only. Not sure why there's expectation for anything else, really.

This is nonsense. Sony still has a significant amount of software on the PS store that's PS3 only- including a boatload of PS2 classics which are functionally PS3 games since they're coded to work with the PS2 software emulator on PS3.

PS3 hardware is dead and gone. They won't be selling it anymore and those units still in homes are rapidly hitting EOL. A BC PS5 is the only way those PS2 or PS3 games would be playable.

On top of THAT, Sony has PS3 games running on PSNOW. Those games aren't running on an emulator, they're still using dedicated PS3 hardware. Moving to software emulators on PS5 is the only way Sony will realistically be able to continue to offer those for streaming unless they want to keep manufacturing PS3 hardware, which would be crazy. No one would do this, it will only get more expensive over time. They have a significant financial interest in moving to an all software solution for PS3 games here.

And finally, with the exception of the PS4 which could not support PS3 games for technical reasons (as well as the PS2 classics on the store which are ALSO functionally PS3 games) every other Sony console has had significant BC support for prior gens. Even the Vita supported PS1 and PSP games.

The only software I wouldn't expect to see going forward are PS1 games- many of those games are VERY low resolution and do not look good at all blown up on modern 60 inch 4k screens. Suikoden is a blurry nightmare on my PS3, for instance. On top of that the failure of the PS Classic just shows the interest in those games just isn't there from a consumer perspective. You can still find those things crowding store shelves at 80% off of retail.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
It's 100% the games library for me. I have a strong PC so I have no need for an Xbox at this point. They also barely have anything of note coming out of their studios which is depressing as an Xbox fan in the past. If I don't get a Playstation I'd miss out on the next God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Uncharted, The Last of Us, and so on. I'm not buying a new console to play old games, that's just silly.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
I only personally care about PS4 BC. Even then, I doubt I'll play a lot of these games when I'll have shiny new games to play.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It's 100% the games library for me. I have a strong PC so I have no need for an Xbox at this point. They also barely have anything of note coming out of their studios which is depressing as an Xbox fan in the past. If I don't get a Playstation I'd miss out on the next God of War, Spider-Man, Bloodborne, Uncharted, The Last of Us, and so on. I'm not buying a new console to play old games, that's just silly.

^

Like it's a nice bonus if I want to take a trip down memory lane. But honestly with how SOny has been with their First party they got their hooks in me for a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
bruh i'm tryina hear about local ps1-3 bc

e0be21ae5da61a4799138aa2ca62fc5d.gif

Yes! Speak the truth!

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I don't see how even BC is required for PS5's success, won't even mention streaming.

because this is the key generation when it comes to digital. So many people shifted toward digital + the whole PS Subscriptions.
By allowing People to take over their digital libraries and content, you warrant a smooth transition.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
BC for ps4, complete with digital would be a great way to transition generations. Especially if it allows for boost mode / ps4pro emulation.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
If they're happy with ~40% compatibility, assuming it could run that 40% well.

I'm not sure Sony would happy with that, to offer it up as 'universal' PS3 BC.

Sure, they might be able to 'do better', but it's far from a comprehensive base to start with.

The business case for it is also much weaker than for PS4 BC.

Maybe they could do BC for select titles like MS, but this is a relatively labour intensive process, and the likelihood of it is probably a function of the business case for it. i.e. Probably fairly low, unfortunately.

So I wouldn't be holding my breath.

All this. I think they could get that % number way up there, tho. But then again maybe not.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
It's basically just Microsoft. Windows has bc (in the last 20 years at least) and Xbox has bc.
Tbh, Having compatibility with 20% or so of the library isn't exactly noteworthy as BC offer, especially next to the 99% that Windows has. What is noteworthy is being the only box running 'any' old physical media this gen, and possibly the last time we get that altogether.

Anyway I wonder if its even possible to untangle the licensing craziness for ps2 era or older systems. Sony got up to 700 ps1 titles on psn and that's still just a fraction, the others are closer to double digits...

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
PS4 BC is the biggest thing, and already confirmed to happen. It makes it easier for people to early adopt as they can sell/trade in their PS4 to help lower the cost of entry while still playing PS4 games they have t finished or gotten round to yet. I'm much more likely to buy year one due to that than if it had been a clear break.

Xbox has shown that BC is a well used feature though, so hopefully they get it for PS 1-3 too. I personally don't care as I'm not itching to play or replay any games for those consoles, but I know many will and it can be a value added that helps get people off the fence.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. PS4 didnt have Backward Compatibility and streaming and we all know how it flopped worse than any console in history.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
because this is the key generation when it comes to digital. So many people shifted toward digital + the whole PS Subscriptions.
By allowing People to take over their digital libraries and content, you warrant a smooth transition.
It's not like the old console cease to exist on the day of the new one's release, y'know.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
In The Year of Our Lord 2020, PS4 BC is the bare fucking minimum for a PS5 feature; people need to stop acting like that's anything special. It should be BC with the three consoles that came before it, but it probably won't, as "bare minimum" is firmly in Sony's wheelhouse these days.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
In The Year of Our Lord 2020, PS4 BC is the bare fucking minimum for a PS5 feature; people need to stop acting like that's anything special. It should be BC with the three consoles that came before it, but it probably won't, as "bare minimum" is firmly in Sony's wheelhouse these days.

They've got a fat streaming service up and running, a VR helmet, and a string of hits going back for years now. I think it's crazy to say they're all about the bare minimum. I bought a PS4 not expecting much, but it turned out that they were really putting in work.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Tbh, Having compatibility with 20% or so of the library isn't exactly noteworthy as BC offer, especially next to the 99% that Windows has. What is noteworthy is being the only box running 'any' old physical media this gen, and possibly the last time we get that altogether.

Anyway I wonder if its even possible to untangle the licensing craziness for ps2 era or older systems. Sony got up to 700 ps1 titles on psn and that's still just a fraction, the others are closer to double digits...
I'd disagree with that characterization. Yes, my point is that "full" compatibility is a bit of a pipe dream, even with PS4. But even that can be handled well. Xbox one BC is not even most games, and yet even people who play old games generally have only a few games they still want for the program. Microsoft spent its time wisely. 20% of the library that 80% of people wanted (probably more on both counts though honestly).

This is purely about managing expectations. I think it's important that BC allows people to move on from the current consoles

Feb 10, 2018
I'd disagree with that characterization. Yes, my point is that "full" compatibility is a bit of a pipe dream, even with PS4. But even that can be handled well. Xbox one BC is not even most games, and yet even people who play old games generally have only a few games they still want for the program. Microsoft spent its time wisely. 20% of the library that 80% of people wanted (probably more on both counts though honestly).

This is purely about managing expectations. I think it's important that BC allows people to move on from the current consoles

I don't know if you meant this, but I believe PS5 will have full PS4 BC.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I know the PS3 is being emulated and works fairly well but on a high end PC but if Sony had a team working on it could it work and be a possibility on PS5? or is it a case or Cell hardware for emulation or nothing?

Oct 27, 2017
Ps5 will have Ps4 bc but unfortunately not Ps3-Ps2-Ps1. At best we will have Ps3 bc through Psnow, and that's it. If they were going to add bc beside Ps4 games they would have already said so.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
I get the feeling that Sony doesn't have any sort of library/archive they could implement even if PS1/PS2 BC was a thing. As cool as a feature that would be, I'm not overly keen on getting all my PS2 discs out and keeping them around.

I'd much rather download them again or use Xbox' method of a one-time authorisation using the disc. But part of me just thinks Sony isn't prepared for that and we'll just get PS4 physical/digital BC with some upgrades.

Feb 10, 2018
Like 100%? I will say that I doubt that every game will make it. But happy to be proven wrong on a year and a half :)

Yes 100%, ps4 BC will be built in at a system level.
They will essentially make enhancements so it behaves like a PS4 Pro, but with an even better boost mode (just cause 3, will be a locked 30fps) and devs can add patches for enhanced BC games.

Anything less then this will be an embarrassment.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I still want to know how they will handle BC on ps5.
Will ps4 games run better on ps5 without additional patches from developers?
What about cross gen games?
Do I have to buy the ps5 version of games like death stranding and tlou2 to have them perform better?
or will the ps4 version played on a ps5 run the same as the ps5 version?
or will cross gen games be a single version that works on both ps4 and ps5?