• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame because thier PS Direct style show is atrocious.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of crazy that the only next gen consoles at E3 will be Xbox though. Even if E3 isn't quite as big it's still pretty big.
I bet there are more PS5s at E3 than Series Xs. With PS4 being the biggest platform and reports that PS5 devkits were out well in advance early next gen games will most likely have PS5 as lead platform

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
It was nice to have one week or so with a bunch of announcements, info, and hands on impressions rather than having that spread out over the year with even more teasing in an effort to drum up excitement.
I hope I can win an Xbox Fanfest ticket for this year. Who knows what will happen after this year (assuming Microsoft is even going this year).

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
The guess the real winner in all of this will be Geoff Keighley.

I already asked Geoff our lour and savior to grace the world with a Games Week, XD

That's fair I guess. But I trust them to repeat success they have had via that avenue. It would be a bummer if they became a faceless company with all the new people in charge. Which is what the State of Play feels like right now. Souless, boring, bullet point announcements.

I'll be like Nintendo directs, with the time they will get better and show some faces and dev interviews.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I already asked Geoff our lour and savior to grace the world with a Games Week, XD

I'll be like Nintendo directs, with the time they will get better and show some faces and dev interviews.
I think they'll get better too. I still think live shows are better, though haha.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Here's the thing: Skipping E3 the Press Conference is totally cool and makes sense. They are expensive, time restricting and have to share the spotlight.

Skipping E3 the show floor is not a great look and I hope Sony at least allows demo units for third parties. The press conference is half the battle, seeing it in person matters too, even if it is vicariously through the press' eyes.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
How do you know they're good at live shows? None of the people that made them exciting are there anymore
Live shows aren't defined by the presenters, they're defined by the content shown. Could seriously just have Hermen Hulst do a 1 minute talk followed by just trailer after trailer for an hour or so and depending on the games you have that has the potential for an excellent show.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
This is what I'm not liking about Sony's move. This isn't a friendly 3rd party move to those that were hoping to get that E3 limelight shined on them for one time of the year. This more like a slap in the face. "We don't need E3 and 3rd parties will come to us if they want to be on Playstation. Hope I'm wrong.

No third-party relies on Microsoft or Sony to show off their game a single event. If anything, it was third-parties that have been moving away from events like E3 and relying more on social media and other means to promote their games. It is also ignorant to think Sony won't still have events to show both first and third party games; and that they won't receive just as much attention from the media and consumers when they do.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Even if maybe it's time to move on, I do feel a little sad about them not being there. The 2015 and 2016 conferences have some of the best/most hype video game moments ever.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Hasn't the ESA been doing some stupid stuff lately? And weren't they planning on changing E3 in a major way? Either way the industry is changing, so honestly speaking E3 is slowly but surely dying

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Ahh duck, i love e3, its like christmas time for me, events all over the year isnt the same, its like recieving presents at any time, its cool, but it aind goddam christmas!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm not liking about Sony's move. This isn't a friendly 3rd party move to those that were hoping to get that E3 limelight shined on them for that one period of the year. This more like a slap in the face. "We don't need E3 and 3rd parties will come to us if they want to be on Playstation." Hope I'm wrong. Think I'm wrong, think about how much light NMS got from E3!
Who says 3rd parties won't be showcased in whatever else they are doing?

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No third-party relies on Microsoft or Sony to show off their game a single event. If anything, it was third-parties that have been moving away from events like E3 and relying more on social media and other means to promote their games. It is also ignorant to think Sony won't still have events to show both first and third party games; and that they won't receive just as much attention from the media and consumers when they do.
Oh no??? I guess No Man's Sky wasn't on Sony's E3 Stage as a premier title was it?? NMS was shit before the Sony reveal and that's the truth. Sony and even E3 and more importantly the attendants of E3 shaped NMS and that did happen at E3!

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Well good for Microsoft. There going to get all of the favorable E3 coverage and recap from near every media company from BBC News.com, CNN.com, to the tech websites. PS5 coming and no E3? Pretty sad.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this means more attention for Microsoft and third parties. Too bad. I liked the chaos of new console releases during E3.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Oh no??? I guess No Man's Sky wasn't on Sony's E3 Stage as a premier title was it?? NMS was shit before the Sony reveal and that's the truth. Sony and even E3 and more importantly the attendants of E3 shaped NMS and that did happen at E3!
Actually, NMS was revealed at the Video Game awards show in December. It got a ton of buzz from that initial reveal trailer, long before Sony featured it on their E3 stage.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
Well good for Microsoft. There going to get all of the favorable E3 coverage and recap from near every media company from BBC News.com, CNN.com, to the tech websites. PS5 coming and no E3? Pretty sad.
I mean yeah it's nice for Microsoft, but I don't really think this is a negative for Sony personally. They could easily get just as much hype holding their own events. Honestly Nintendo and MS could probably do the same. I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing more and more companies forgo E3 entirely

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

" No third-party relies on Microsoft or Sony to show off their game a single event. "

Hehehe I know fellow PS fans that did just that. They watched the MS conference to see what 3rd party game they would be playing on PS4. Yea, Showing 3rd party games on your show at E3 isn't important. You just keep on thinking that... Have you even looked at the poll? Almost have the voter's don't want Sony to leave E3. I'll 'bet most of them are older generation like me that like the new sources that are funneled for that week. E3 is like the walk on the Red Carpet before the Oscars. It's the closest thing we have to getting to that level. If you want to lose that kind of of limelight then I don't know what to say? E3 has been gaming's Superbowl and we just want to dismantle it like it's not important? You tell that to the city of LA, the power companies that prepare for the utility increase. All the publishers that make the time to be there to meet face to face. How about all the designers that make all those elaborate sets and stage designs. (You're talents aren't needed guys we can just do a webinar...) How about the artists that paint the city skyline advertisements? Yea your right E3 isn't needed...

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I like that with their "hundreds of other events" approach I assume they are spending more marketing dollars around the world instead of a few big events in the states. Their recent success came from so many countries it's nice that they are focusing on them.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017

Never said there wasn't premiers at E3 but third-parties don't rely on those single premiers to promote their game. E3 didn't shape NMS not does it shape any other game, the presentation does. This presentation could had been done at number of conferences or other ways and still has just as big of an impact

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
E3 in general has been so lackluster this last 3 years or so I just don't feel the hype of it anymore. Watching awkward presentations with barely any exciting titlles and lot's of filler and CG trailers. I think the days of E3 as we know it are counted.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
" No third-party relies on Microsoft or Sony to show off their game a single event. "

Hehehe I know fellow PS fans that did just that. They watched the MS conference to see what 3rd party game they would be playing on PS4. Yea, Showing 3rd parties a games on your show at E3 isn't important. You just keep on thinking that...

What was the PS4 game announced at Microsofts E3 conference and PS fans wouldn't had known about if it wasn't for this sole conference? I am not asking about premieres but about a game that has been shown at solely Microsofts E3 conference because apparently E3 is the only event that matters.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Why didn't they announce an event or something along with this tidbit? It's kind of throwing everything into chaos.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This gives Microsoft another opportunity to capitalize. They didn't do great last year, they didn't show enough gameplay and were clearly holding back. This year they need to take the gloves off. We will see Halo gameplay for sure which will be hugely anticipated, plus being able to showcase the X series will be paramount. I think it's a terrible decision for Sony to skip out on E3...it's bad for everyone, especially us the fans

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Last year when Sony said they weren't going to E3, they also made it very clear that they weren't going to be hosting some other show or activation at the same time. Pretty notable that thus far they have not said the same thing this time around.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
This is what I'm not liking about Sony's move. This isn't a friendly 3rd party move to those that were hoping to get that E3 limelight shined on them for that one period of the year. This more like a slap in the face. "We don't need E3 and 3rd parties will come to us if they want to be on Playstation." Hope I'm wrong. Think I'm wrong, think about how much light NMS got from E3!

E3 is also not the only games show out there. This is clearly an E3 thing, not a games conference thing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This gives Microsoft another opportunity to capitalize. They didn't do great last year, they didn't show enough gameplay and were clearly holding back. This year they need to take the gloves off. We will see Halo gameplay for sure which will be hugely anticipated, plus being able to showcase the X series will be paramount. I think it's a terrible decision for Sony to skip out on E3...it's bad for everyone, especially us the fans

If Sony do any sort of live event this year it'll still be compared to MS at E3 so they'll both need to be on top form.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What was the PS4 game announced at Microsofts E3 conference and PS fans wouldn't had known about if it wasn't for this sole conference? I am not asking about premieres but about a game that has been shown at solely Microsofts E3 conference because apparently E3 is the only event that matters.

Minecraft Dungeons
Blair Witch
Cyberpunk 2077
PsychoNauts 2

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Phantasy Star Online 2

These are just some of the ones revealed on MS's stage last year. They had even more in 2018!

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Sounds a bit like they're not doing something else instead as well
Right, the wording didn't exactly inspire confidence that they would have their own big dedicated event.
Exactly. People praising sony leaving e3 but nothing about that statement inspires me that sony will opt to have any kind of big pressure event. Be careful what you wish for because the days of a big sony show ala e3 may be gone for good.

Dec 14, 2017
I think this is a mistake this year and I wonder if we've seen some misjudgements on Sony's part recently that hint that they're losing touch.

The way the CES news got a lot more attention than it may have for a simple logo reveal makes me think Sony might not be reading the competition correctly.

But I'm just a bystander...

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I don't know.l Maybe word of mouth from PAX and Gamescom is more valuable but I feel like I rarely hear a lot of news of game announcements out of those conventions (outside of like MS's briefing) and I doubt the same amount of people are even paying attention during those than they do around E3 time (I'm talking on the internet in general, not physical attendance numbers). I could be totally wrong though. I'll freely admit I'm looking from the outside in and have no idea on the metrics of this stuff.

My theory as well.