• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 5, 2017
The writing was definitely on the wall and with last year's embarrassing leak of confidential information, ESA didn't do themselves any favors.

It was fun while it lasted...E3 will always have a soft spot in my heart.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'm sad there won't be a big unified event where all industry heavyweights are participating anymore. E3 had some amazing and some uh memorable moments. On the other hand that organization is responsible for leaking journalist data. They haven't faced any repercussions for that, so screw them.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
End of an era.

I wonder if Microsoft will have TWO conferences now to enjoy that free panel space.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
What a coincidence, I also won't be attending the PS5 launch day.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
End of an era.

I wonder if Microsoft will have TWO conferences now to enjoy that free panel space.

I mean they didn't last year and Sony didn't show up last year either.

Did y'all forget that? Was last years E3 that unmemorable? Keanu Reeves showed up in Cyberpunk and Banjo got into Smash.

Oh and a data leak happened as well... that was less good.

Linkeds2

Nov 15, 2017
North Bay, CA

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
I used to watch E3 mostly for Sony's conference so this is a bummer...
I really hope they do their own thing like PSX.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense business wise. E3 did this to themselves due to how poorly the event goes year after year not just perception online but actually attending. Microsoft probably wouldn't be at E3 either if they didn't own the Microsoft Theatre next door to the LA Convention Center.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

About to this degree. E3 is an industry conference first and foremost with some big players. If the big players all leave and there's no support to host E3 yearly, that's one less avenue for smaller companies to get their game in the face of the media.

But other avenues are opening up. Stadia, PSNow, game pass, youtube, twitch.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It's is weirdto think that only 3-4 years ago they were doing great e3 shows.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That statement is really bad, did they hit submit too soon, because it says nothing and goes nowhere

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
That's unfortunate, it was already sad when Nintendo stopped their conferences.

I'll miss the conference show-downs and excitement of having everyone in one place and time, with all the influx of surprises, news and announcements.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
can´t help but laugh a bit at the "x-mas for gamers" comments...

i mean...seriously? a freaking advertisement event is "x-mas for gamers"? when people are seeing commercials and announcements for games as an x-mas like event...that is really sad imo

i come from a time where you have read about this in the next month issue of some video game magazine. couldn´t care less about E3 tbh..

besides that, there isn´t even something gifted to the "gamers" at E3...

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
How do you know they're good at live shows? None of the people that made them exciting are there anymore
That's fair I guess. But I trust them to repeat success they have had via that avenue. It would be a bummer if they became a faceless company with all the new people in charge. Which is what the State of Play feels like right now. Souless, boring, bullet point announcements.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe? I just don't feel that making it more celebrity and FOMO focused is the way to save E3. Then again I have been gaming for over 30 years so I am probably not their target demographic. :)

You and me both. But that brings a lot of people in. During EA Play, whenever we have celebrities, loads of people join in and the place is always maxed out, with us not being allowed to get more people in.

Same with random German rap crap during Gamescom. Not that I would ever understand it, but it brings in loads of people. :D

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
Before announcement " Can't wait for Sony to unveil PS5 and then show up to E3 this year"
After Sony said no E3 "E3 is been dead for years who cares about E3"
Is there anything this companies can do that some of you won't be sheep to? E3 has always been a time of gaming celebration I remembered E3 2013 is when Sony basically got on stage and wrecked Microsoft to the point they came out and changed everything the originally had planned for launch including the firing of Don Mattric to sit here now and pretend E3 is just a peasant affair is so facetious. But plastic wars be dammed.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i agree that if sony wants to continue with state of play they need a face, presenters, developers, like nintendo direct, it feels impersonal, cold, the current model

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
It's not even a blasting of info at this point, they are not even hinting at it outside of the obvious ("Hey, kids.... look at our new logo."). So I still have to question what the play is with this.... because this feels. Odd.

It honestly feels as if PS5 isn't new, and given the info that we have on the device and what the platform is, it just might not be... New in the sense of revolution, anyway.
Granted, the leaks have made this feeling worse but still... we know alot about the tech and we have yet to see the device, or the games they want on the thing.

Their not? Look I not entirely sure if timid is the word but it's the only think that I feel fits with this.

Think it's a tad early to show everything you want them to show, earlier than they ever showed things.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

About to this degree. E3 is an industry conference first and foremost with some big players. If the big players all leave and there's no support to host E3 yearly, that's one less avenue for smaller companies to get their game in the face of the media.

This is what I'm not liking about Sony's move. This isn't a friendly 3rd party move to those that were hoping to get that E3 limelight shined on them for that one period of the year. This more like a slap in the face. "We don't need E3 and 3rd parties will come to us if they want to be on Playstation." Hope I'm wrong. Think I'm wrong, think about how much light NMS got from E3!

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's kind of crazy that the only next gen consoles at E3 will be Xbox though. Even if E3 isn't quite as big it's still pretty big.

Aug 26, 2019
You and me both. But that brings a lot of people in. During EA Play, whenever we have celebrities, loads of people join in and the place is always maxed out, with us not being allowed to get more people in.

Same with random German rap crap during Gamescom. Not that I would ever understand it, but it brings in loads of people. :D
I don't like when they bring in people that have no interest in the actual games themselves.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It was nice to have one week or so with a bunch of announcements, info, and hands on impressions rather than having that spread out over the year with even more teasing in an effort to drum up excitement.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
So first of all, I think this is probably the right move for Sony. They have the clout to have their own event and still get the proper eyes on and publicity.

BUT, I honestly don't know if E3 dying is the best thing for the industry overall. If E3 died tomorrow, most of the bigger publishers are going to be fine because they have the clout for their own events, but what about the smaller publishers and games? I know there's always the risk of being drowned out by bigger things, and that there are better fan shows for indies and smaller publishers, but there always seemed to be a number of smaller games that got eyes on and got attention at E3 that probably wouldn't have in the same way anywhere else. Especially when indies have become a bigger part of the press conferences. Would Spiritfarer have gotten nearly as much attention if it was announced at PAX? How about Cuphead or A Way Out? I'd like to think they'd eventually rise up in awareness, but at the same level? I don't know. Even when attached to bigger Direct-likes, the number of videos spread out over the year probably means less eyes on any given video compared to the ONE BIG ONE that no one can ignore. This is all before we get to the fact that a lot of the smaller games get talked about because they made an impression from hands on demos (which is why I assume Nintendo still values having a presence on the floor).

I don't know.l Maybe word of mouth from PAX and Gamescom is more valuable but I feel like I rarely hear a lot of news of game announcements out of those conventions (outside of like MS's briefing) and I doubt the same amount of people are even paying attention during those than they do around E3 time (I'm talking on the internet in general, not physical attendance numbers). I could be totally wrong though. I'll freely admit I'm looking from the outside in and have no idea on the metrics of this stuff.