• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I'll miss are the hype train gifs
Let's do hype mopeds

km7pkxit

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The hype E3 of yesteryear died when Nintendo stopped doing press conferences, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. All good things must come to an end, c'est la vie, etc.

As long as they fill that hole with a big stage event of their own complete with press and a live audience, I think hype will be maintained. If they go the lame prerecorded YouTube route then RIP me

Jan 4, 2018
...So they just didn't like that more consumers were attending, and they didn't get to do a big " PlayStation Experience-like movie theatre experience. " whatever the fuck that means?
I don't think it was that more consumers were attending, but that the ESA can't make up its mind about what E3 is. Make it a trade show or make it a consumer-focused event, not some half-assed thing that is neither and costs way too much.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Lol come on now. That's a niche audience at best. Most people didn't see Keanu on that stage. Have you ever seen the amount of streams these conferences have live?

You guys make it seem like E3 can make or break a product.
Most people get the news online after they happen and don't watch these things live.

I do imagine Sony showing the PS5 right after E3 though. And do a Meeting a few months before.

About MS winning the hype train around that time? Lol...

MS announces the brand new console online and causes less excitement than Sony tweeting a logo.

My point is that live conferences are more memorable than directed videos like State of Play. Sony already did like half dozen of them and people were mostly disappointed after each of them.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ugh. I can see why they'd do that, but I have to admit it was nice to have three days of condensed gaming hype every year. Now everyone will be doing bits and pieces throughout the year instead.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, this really sucks. =( I would be OK with this if they had their own event outside of E3 but we aren't even getting that. Despite E3 not being as important as it was in the past, it was still a great way to reach publications that would normally ignore gaming. This would trickle down to the more casual or mainstream audiences too. On top of all of that, it has been the host of some of my favorite "holy shit" moments. I will never forget how I felt and how awesome it was when Shenmue 3 was announced. Sure we can get those moments from MS, Nintendo, and 3rd parties but those chances go down when one of the big players pulls out.

Hopefully we find out about their playstation event soon. I would hope they'll have at least one major conference before PSX.

Oct 28, 2017
There will be a theater jam packed with Sony nerds, a "conference" with new game reveals, Greg Miller running around before & after etc... Who cares where or how it happens? PSX 2016 was hype!

What year was the PSX where Sony went "We got any fans of the PS Vita in here?" and got a big cheer from the crowd? I liked that one. Got me all tingly.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty smart. E3 coverage has way too much news and announcements going on.

Sony is on their own terms and won't have other guys taking their spotlight.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
real talk E3 should have pivoted about 10 years ago into a more general fan type convention. They have the space and time slot they could have been a place where studios and other media drop news.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
But it isn't a block party, it's in the convention center
I'll agree to disagree. The last 5 E3's I've gone to seem like one big party. From everything inside to everything outside. All E3 and video game related.

Late edit... I also need an E3 badge to get in to the MS theater for Xbox E3. People can't just walk in without an E3 ticket.

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Oh boy, Bethesda is going to have to at least double the amount of people to put in their obnoxious crowd if they want to save E3 now

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was that more consumers were attending, but that the ESA can't make up its mind about what E3 is. Make it a trade show or make it a consumer-focused event, not some half-assed thing that is neither and costs way too much.

I guess that still doesn't make sense to me why not to attend. Works fine for Microsoft. And no matter what you get eyes on your product around the world beyond your own market. Playstation fans watch Playstation events. Everyone watches E3. It's more likely you're going to appeal to more people and more kinds of people given that every gamer and news outlet including those outside of gaming are tuned into gaming news early June every year. Everyone wants E3 news. Not being there just makes it a self fulfilling prophecy that it dies. And I don't feel like that's adequately made up for with fan events. No one except fans care about them. That seems like such a weak excuse to not want to be there. I feel like there has to be more.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see E3 go down the drain. So now when do I spend my holiday time to sit around, eat pizza and have companies advertise to me?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that still doesn't make sense to me why not to attend. Works fine for Microsoft. And no matter what you get eyes on your product around the world beyond your own market. Playstation fans watch Playstation events. Everyone watches E3. It's more likely you're going to appeal to more people and more kinds of people given that every gamer and news outlet including those outside of gaming are tuned into gaming news early June every year. Everyone wants E3 news. Not being there just makes it a self fulfilling prophecy that it dies. And I don't feel like that's adequately made up for with fan events. No one except fans care about them. That seems like such a weak excuse to not want to be there. I feel like there has to be more.

There are international events that have a far greater reach around the world than E3.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sony scared of MS and Nintendo? Interesting take.
I didn't use the word scared though. Would you rather show off the PS5 and Horizon 2 on your own event and venue....or on the one where MS just unveiled Halo a couple hours earlier or Nintendo showed of the Switch Pro and BotW ?

They don't need the e3 - so why be one of many players when you can run your own thing ? Nintendo decided years ago that they don't need a e3 press conference....it worked out very well for them and was the right move.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sucks, I like the gaming hype info dump period. Not that they won't have their own stuff but it was a good time of the year that I'll miss. It was cozy.

So, is the real truth Sony have no games 😜 jk

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Sony doesn't need E3 to get mainstream attention. They literally just dropped a .png of the PS5 logo and that made rounds. Sony can show a an inch of the ps5 and it would create so much buzz.
I'm with you here, I don't think they'll have a problem with reaching people especially with the way people consume entertainment today, but don't give them ideas. This one would be so true. They could stretch this out for a whole month or two in some weird ARG game. Torture.

Ronin

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that live conferences are more memorable than directed videos like State of Play. Sony already did like half dozen of them and people were mostly disappointed after each of them.
Memorable to nerds on gaming forums. The general public buying the majority of these consoles don't know or give a damn.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
What if Sony cancels PSX 2020 and only have PS meeting State of Plays. Would that be enough for their fans?

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Kinda taken aback being that a new generation is literally on the horizon but if the ESA is that incompetent, so be it I say.

I at least hope something like PSX is happening around the same timeframe. Just don't have a sofa on the stage and talk for three hours about games that already been shown off.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
E3 as trade show is not good for the industry
E3 to consumer visitors size is pathetic if you compare with other con/shows around the world.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
real talk E3 should have pivoted about 10 years ago into a more general fan type convention. They have the space and time slot they could have been a place where studios and other media drop news.
they've been sitting on their hands on changing for a long ass time now

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
The time between the announcement and occurrence of the PlayStation Meeting in 2013 was less than three weeks.
Yes. However, 2020 & 2013 are definitely different times and some info should have leaked. Also those in the press would probably know before we do. The real question is that when is the big info dump now that they won't be at E3 such as price & launch titles.