• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah now they will probably need to be done even earlier. These systems are coming out like months after e3. It's right there.

I'm not talking about just launch year, I'm talking going forward. Having the entire industry revolve around one single dominant event doesn't make a lot of sense anymore, and probably is no longer sustainable.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Yeah PS5 got cancelled my sources say.

1164.jpg

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
As an European, while it's sad, I hope they do their own event in an schedule I don't have to be awake until 5-6 am.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
While Xbox is at E3, for the past 2 years they did it at their own event space and not at the proper E3 floor space

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MS and Nintendo have a lot of momentum right now.....I can see why Sony isn't interested having to directly compete with them for limited Mindshare in period of a couple of days.

Sucks for e3 and it's legacy....but it makes sense for Sony, the don't need the e3.

Sony scared of MS and Nintendo? Interesting take.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Funny to see this happen after the ESA's grand plan to 'control the message' was revealed.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, it's not like we have to worry this time whether the reason is them having anything to show or not, considering they're launching a new console this year

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Also considering how many developers have come out and commented about how much undue stress and crunch having to create demos and videos and vertical slices for this single, yearly event was creating, and how maybe this will create an atmosphere where publishers are more likely to control the timing of their own game reveals and announcements, on their own time, you'd think some more of you would be all for and end to those days.
I actually like developer live streams more. Epic did it with Paragon and I'm sure Fortnite, Warframe devs do it a lot, and they do it when they have time racking up a ton of views. Sony could go on Youtube or Twitch right now, unannounced, and end up with a hundred thousand viewers.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let me play devil's advocate. If Sony was attending E3 and Microsoft was the company making this announcement, would everyone that is celebrating here still be?
Do you honestly care when MS shows off the XSX games? Because I sure don't need it around E3 and would gladly take a gander at anytime. I get that people like the pomp of E3, but not being there is not some big travesty.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
So many on this board owns Pachter an apology..

Lol

And people saying Sony are scared of Microsoft? The ps5 logo reveal at CES made more press than xbox series x reveal at an awards show.. just think about that for a moment..
Good press or bad press. From what I saw from reaction vids. The dissapointment was an understatement. Look at the reactions yourself. So many memes were created for them.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hundreds of events.. like some Tupperware thing where you can hire Jim Ryan to show the PS5 in your own home.. nice.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
What a bad decision imo i get thats there issues but this isnt the year to back out especially with how bad their communication has already been since late 2018. If they had a laid out strategy and we saw that what they did was already working then thats one thing or if they decided yea we wont be there heres this other industry event we're creating or backing 100% and we want everyone to join us because the esa is not good then that's different but the fact that we only know this because rumors got spread and leaked then they came out confirmed it shows how bad their communication is.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Sony skipping E3's show floor makes some sense, given that EA and Microsoft had already largely abandoned the show floor, press attendance has been in decline and the ESA's attempts to convert the expo to a consumer expo hasn't been going well. There are plenty of bigger shows if you want to attract gamers.

Sony skipping E3's associated publicity events does strike me as a potential strategic error, since it'll effectively hand Microsoft the one gaming news cycle per year that is guaranteed to get mainstream news attention. Despite the wording of the press release, I would assume that Sony would have something for that week, even if it's just an attempt to play spoiler to the Xbox show.
Sony doesn't need E3 to get mainstream attention. They literally just dropped a .png of the PS5 logo and that made rounds. Sony can show a an inch of the ps5 and it would create so much buzz.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we would have heard by now if there were a Playstation event happening in the next 6 weeks or so. It takes a while to plan any major press event.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Just to show how E3 is different comparing with other game convention/show around the world

Biggest gaming exhibitions / trade shows of by number of entries:
Gamescom 2019: 373k
ChinaJoy 2019: 365k
Brazil Games Show 2018: 325k
Taipei Game Show 2019: 320k
Paris Games Week 2018: 316k
Tokyo Game Show 2019: 262k
G-Star Korea 2018: 235k

E3 2019: 66k

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Let me play devil's advocate. If Sony was attending E3 and Microsoft was the company making this announcement, would everyone that is celebrating here still be?

Let's keep playing devils advocate: if Sony were the one announcing all of their first party PS5 games would also be on PS4 and MS were the one committed to having Next Gen exclusives, would the "exclusives are bad and anti consumer" narrative of the last week or so around here exist in the same way it does?

If your point is "console warriors" and "tribal fanboys" exist, yeah no shit.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm okay with this. I know E3 can be a big congregation of new video game news and announcements, but it doesn't always do it on the terms that agree with companies. Plus, if Sony does their own deal, they get more exposure. And to add on some more, it's been happening more and more with companies (Nintendo, Microsoft, and you can even say for Blizzcon and shit like that) so it's not that out of the ordinary.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They said they will be at hundreds of other events

With a nice booth setup and PS4s demoing stuff that was released and some stuff still coming, sure.

I wouldn't expect them to have the PS5 publicly available for demos at other conventions until after E3, so maybe PGW, maybe PAX East?

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty straightforward PR work.

Drop the bad news first. Let it cycle through the media/press.

Drop the good news afterwards. Let it cycle through the media/press.

That way you keep it seperate and not mixed up with 'new PSM announced, but no E3' articles that send mixed messaging.
All the gloom and doomers, unironic arrogant sony poster as and people who think there's only gonna be an announcement by going to hundreds of cons and tradeshows should read this.

sony just fucked up. esa gonna drop all their contact info now
A+

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The reason I thought that Sony didn't appear at last e3 was just lack of content. They showed all their stuff too early. What do you reasonable assume Sony has something new to show that will be at PS5 is the most interesting question. I think maybe one or two unannounced games. But everything will be upgrade ps4 ports.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The ESA is pretty shit, but I wonder if that's the only reason.

I imagine showing things at their own time and place (that means not being locked to June) might be larger motivations.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Don't care. It's not like we won't find out shit or that the box isn't coming out. Changes nothing.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
No Nintendo and no Sony. With some exceptions, like Digital Devolver, E3 is now useless to me.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
How many people remember Sony E3 (they did small marketing push) ipfrom last year and how many people remember Keanu Reeves on MS stage? Hell how many people remember anything shown at State of Plays?

Lol come on now. That's a niche audience at best. Most people didn't see Keanu on that stage. Have you ever seen the amount of streams these conferences have live?

You guys make it seem like E3 can make or break a product.
Most people get the news online after they happen and don't watch these things live.

I do imagine Sony showing the PS5 right after E3 though. And do a Meeting a few months before.

About MS winning the hype train around that time? Lol...

MS announces the brand new console online and causes less excitement than Sony tweeting a logo.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
There will be a theater jam packed with Sony nerds, a "conference" with new game reveals, Greg Miller running around before & after etc... Who cares where or how it happens? PSX 2016 was hype!